What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shaun
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by Shaun »

I haven't been to any gigs this year and I don't have a ticket for any forthcoming shows later in the year. All I want is a ticket to see Roger Waters perform The Wall in September in Boston, and also, I'm going to see Spiritualized somewhere in London just before Christmas.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ads wrote: Plus, I'm still waiting to see if I've managed to blag my way onto the guest list for the BRMC in Brighton this Thursday and I still want to get tickets for Dead Meadow and Randga in Brighton in late May/early June.
Saw BRMC last week- it was pretty good, great sound and light show. They certainly rocked although it did tend to drag a bit near the end as they played a two hour set which showed how similar a lot of their rockers are. They should have played more from Howl.

Also saw that Rangda were added to the GYBE ATP.
Shaun wrote: I'm going to see Spiritualized somewhere in London just before Christmas.
you are? where might this be??
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

angelsighs wrote:
Shaun wrote: I'm going to see Spiritualized somewhere in London just before Christmas.
you are? where might this be??
Venue TBC, but the Wigmore Hall would be nice.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Doves this weekend mostly at the behest of my Brother in-law ,but I do enjoy a bit of Doves.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Shaun wrote:Venue TBC, but the Wigmore Hall would be nice.
For a minute there Shaun I thought you had inside information!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Where did you here there's gonna be a show? I might have to go via Doggen to find out if this is true.

Primavera is going to be awesome, and yeah I will certainly see Polvo! (subject to clashes). Fortunately Eric from RGC knows Wilco pretty well, so maybe I will get to meet them for a bit, that would be pretty cool because Jeff has always struck me as a brilliant songwriter and musician, even on the stuff I don't dig so much myself.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

James T wrote:Where did you here there's gonna be a show?.
Just a guess and going on the basis there's been a show that time of year for the last couple of years now. Spaceman loves to sing SIlent NIght... 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shaun wrote: Just a guess and going on the basis there's been a show that time of year for the last couple of years now. Spaceman loves to sing SIlent NIght... 8)
aw man you got us all excited then. I do have fond memories of the Union Chapel show with the resplendent Xmas tree, and of course last years RFH show.
James T wrote: Primavera is going to be awesome, and yeah I will certainly see Polvo! (subject to clashes). Fortunately Eric from RGC knows Wilco pretty well, so maybe I will get to meet them for a bit, that would be pretty cool because Jeff has always struck me as a brilliant songwriter and musician, even on the stuff I don't dig so much myself.
With that lineup I think there's a distinct danger of clashes.
The Wilco guys seem like lovely fellas, Jeff in particular seems quite affable. Must say that the latest album is rather dull though (wouldn't say that to his face though obviously!)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Haha, it is bit a pish isn't it. I'm not a huge Wilco fan, there's a couple of albums I really like though. Always wanted to see them live so Primavera is ideal, because I'm not always up for travelling and paying just to see them.

I hope there is a Spz show this winter, but I can't really see it. Then again, this new album might've been finished by then if you're to trust reports from Dec/Jan when they were claiming a new album very soon.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think you will enjoy it, they are still a formidable live act and brilliant musicians.

Hmm yeah I wonder when the next Spz album will be done. Unfortunately probably 2011? also I'll make a bet now that it will be called 'Life Is A Problem', I've got a feeling. :) I wouldn't bet against random gigs happening this year actually- Jason seems to really enjoy playing live and it's a good way to keep the creative juices flowing (as well as the cash). Remember the one-off Sage gig in 2005, or the Flux shows..?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't think he'll call it "Life Is A Problem," since that's also the title of a Mississippi Records compilation.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:I don't think he'll call it "Life Is A Problem," since that's also the title of a Mississippi Records compilation.
yeah maybe your right... its just not the first time J has taken inspiration from somewhere else.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think it will be called Kid A
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Was at Pavement last night. Better than i was expecting, the band seemed a bit more together than the couple of times i'd seen them in the 90s. They played pretty much all the songs i like of their's so can't complain.

Not being a massive fan however, i will forever be baffled as to why they are placed on a pedestal and granted God-like status, i mean they're hardly the Pixies or Sonic Youth are they?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sonic Youth were dreadful live last year, although the daydream nation show was fantastic. I just just wish I'd seen them in the early 90s when they were at their peak.

Anyway, KISS on monday!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

James T wrote:Sonic Youth were dreadful live last year,
Not in Dublin they weren't, they were fucking excellent.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Primavera must've been a bad moment for them. I only listen to Kiss these days anyway, just Love Gun on repeat.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Ducking out of my usual tastes and taking friends to see Dave Mason and Leon Russell in Ann Arbor tonight and actually looking forward to a good night out.

Ooh, I'm well chuffed that my email was randomly selected for the Roger Waters pre-sale for the Detroit show happening today :)
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hope Sandoval last night, very nice indeed though not quite as good as her gig last October (due to shorter set and sound issues early on).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The Fall in Liverpool next week.

New LP is a belter - best since Real New Fall LP.

Haven't seen them for a couple of years, but their body or work means they shade best-band-ever spot from Spacemen 3 (possibly). ME Smith still able to create music that is utterly different from much else out there at the age of 53 and aftre 29(?) lps.
Utter insane genius.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Off to see Pavement at the Brixton Academy this evening....am well excited. Mayve going to see the Walkmen down here tomorrow night but haven't got tickets yet and waiting to hear if I'll have somebody to accompony me. Then Wolf Parade next Monday and Dead Meadow the following Monday. I can't quite believe how many gigs I've been to this year already. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:Off to see Pavement at the Brixton Academy this evening....am well excited.
Is that the one where Wooden Shjips are supporting? Lucky boy...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
Ads wrote:Off to see Pavement at the Brixton Academy this evening....am well excited.
Is that the one where Wooden Shjips are supporting? Lucky boy...
that was last night, which was the show I was at. It was my first time seeing the Shjips and they didn't disappoint. They are kind of a one trick pony but what a trick it is. The way the drummer was pounding that tiny drum kit was so hypnotic. They were also bloody loud- kudos to Pavement for allowing the support to be louder than the main act!
I was rather impressed with Pavement too, they are not really my cup of tea but they were much more muscular and tight than I expected- it was a really good show.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Having not been to any gigs so far this year, and a few weeks ago still not having any booked up, I've now got tickets for Dean and Britta in London (I'm more intrigued by the concept of that show more than anything) and also Roger Waters in Boston.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Dinosaur Jr. this Saturday, last saw them at Mancs Apollo supporting JAMC years ago and they were amazing wonderful set, if it's haf as good it will be brilliant :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Off to see Teenage Fanclub tonight... new album is lovely! 8)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

How's the Fannies new one rank alongside Grand Prix in terms of loveliness?

I'm off to see Dead Weather at the Roundhouse on the 28th June then Moon Duo at Corsica Studios in July. I'm picky about who I see these days as my gig going excursions are much less frequent than they once were. Very excited by both these ones.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Personally, i think the new TFC album is better than Man Made, but again is probably not as instantly pop-tastic as Grand Prix. Those were dizzy heights for them and i've kinda accepted that they probably won't repeat Grand Prix. The band have stated themselves that they always treat new songs on their own merits instead of trying to capture a previous sound/vibe.

The songs on the album are really good. Ray's tracks are always growers and take a few listens. Norman's and Gerry's are up to the usual standard. Gerry's songs are always fantastic; guy can sure write a good song/lyric.

I was really impressed with the new songs live at the show last week... much better and fuller sounding when played live. And they played Everything Flows... which i'd pay £20 to see alone! Superb.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Anvil, Supergrass, Silver Apples, Panther Du Prince, Low
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the dutchess and the duke is tomorrow night. i'll go see kurt vile in july (he's playing a show after he's done at pitchfork). ty segall's coming in august and there's one more i'm forgetting... i think thee oh sees might be coming through in september (i hope). i didn't go to their show last year, bought 'sucks blood' instead and then proceeded to buy everything else of theirs i could get my grubby little hands on and kicked myself endlessly for not going.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My home wi-fi connection has been down since the end of May so haven't posted for a while. Back on line today with the added bonus of finding out a friend of mine has managed to book us tickets for the La Route Du Rock festival in Saint Malo in France in early August. Get to see a line up including Massive Attack, Flaming Lips, The National, Archie Bronson, Serena Maneesh and Hope Sandoval. Well excited, though its going to have to be good to top the cracking gigs I got to see in May when I saw Suicide/The Stooges, Sennen, The National, Pavement, Wolf Parade, Holy Fuck & Dead Meadow. Not bad for one month....no wonder I'm fucking skint though!

June hasn't started off too well as I was unable to go to the Rangda and Eat Lights;Become Lights gigs (sorry Neil) in Brighton due to reasons out of my control. Did see Sic Alps on Monday followed by Andy Weatherall DJ'ing though which was great though would have been better if it hadn't of been a week night. Diary is looking pretty blank for the rest of June though so will have to get on the case and rectify that.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

ian mcculloch tonight and then monty python's musical spamalot later this month then i have a nice quiet (cheap) period :wink:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw Band of Horses on Friday night- really good. they were supported by Darker My Love, who I wasn't so impressed by.

then I've got a few gigs in November- The National, Interpol and Drive By Truckers. however these are all my mates choices, none of my favourite bands seem to be touring at the moment. :( The summer seems to be a write off too as I'm not going to any festivals.
ReturnToForever
Known user

Post by ReturnToForever »

spiritualized nyc
Last edited by ReturnToForever on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Strange one tonight....seeing Babybird (remember them?!) down here in Brighton on a friend's bequest. Not sure what to expect, but my mate kept getting the hump when I said I only remembered You're Gorgeous.

Angelsighs, I got myself a ticket for Drive By Truckers gig in Brighton and well looking forward to it. Saw them at Greenman a couple of years ago and they were great. Their last 2 albums have been terrific. And, yeah I agree, it has all gone a bit quiet on the gig front recently....especially after my May gig extravaganza.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

okay cool..
so how come you never made it to see Rangda? I'm kind of kicking myself that I haven't caught one of the dates now I've got the album.

I must admit I'm not that familiar with the DBT, what would be a good album to start with?

add GYBE in Dec to my list.. playing at the Bristol Anson Rooms.. not sure what that venue is like, hope it's suitable.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:I must admit I'm not that familiar with the DBT, what would be a good album to start with?
I'd say go for their last one, The Big To Do, or its predecesor, Brighter Than Creation's Dark. Both are excellent.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Widespread Panic - Radio City Music Hall - July 22
Spiritualized - Radio City Music Hall - July 30

good fucking week for Radio City and me.
Dirge Vendor
New user

Post by Dirge Vendor »

Well, I'm hoping either (or both) aphex or squarepusher are going to announce another warehouse project appearance here in manchester.
rdnrvn
New user

Post by rdnrvn »

July 12 - Iron Maiden (w/ Dream Theater)
July 30 - Spiritualized
July 31 - Sonic Youth
August 5 - Arcade Fire

Hopefully can get hold of Smashing Pumpkins and/or Pavement tickets xD
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sleepy Sun 7/7
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

a ton of good shows coming up-
caribou in millenium park for free
kurt vile at subterranean
ty segall at the empty bottle
thee oh sees at lincoln hall (!) in september
moon duo at the empty bottle in october
dean & britta in december (also at lincoln hall)

i actually found airfare to new york for $200 the weekend of the 30th, but sadly my credit limit is so close to maxed out right now that i can't afford a ticket and airfare. my boss suggested starting a donation jar at work (i work in a coffee shop). as the date draws closer i have a feeling i will do what i can to make it happen, although i'm pretty sure i simply can't afford it. that said, i hope everyone from the board who's going has a great time.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Toying with going to see Wedding Present doing 'Bizarro' , has to be their best work and would love to see what they do with 'Take Me' live :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Unkle with the Heritage Orchestra tonight at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill:-

http://www.dlwp.com/WhatsOn/TheatrePerf ... entId=1186

Sholud be a bit a different.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
LetItFlow
New user

Post by LetItFlow »

Typical Sons at Hope and Anchor in Islington tonight, should be interesting...

Any lucky people going to the LAG show on the 30th??
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Picked up tickets today for Moon Duo's show in Brighton this Tuesday. Well excited. 8). Plus, noticed that we've got upcoming shows in the Brighton by Archie Bronson Outifit, Besnard Lakes and Black Mountain. Even more excited 8) 8)

Best news of all is that I've just found out that Black Angels are now on the bill for La Route Du Rock in France in August. :D 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

The Lucid Deam @ Escobar Leeds Sat 24th July, saw these support Sonic / Spectrum last year, been waiting to see them again, blow yer nut off!!
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

heyman wrote:The Lucid Deam @ Escobar Leeds Sat 24th July, saw these support Sonic / Spectrum last year, been waiting to see them again, blow yer nut off!!
Cheers mate, see you tonight!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Silver Apples - 6/8/10 - Railway Hotel, Southend On Sea
The Telescopes - 13/8/10 - Bar Lamb, Southend On Sea
Jim Jones Revue - 9/10/10 - Chinnerys, Southend On Sea

3 great sounding gigs all within half hour walking distance of my abode. Lovely.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

johnnyboy wrote:Silver Apples - 6/8/10 - Railway Hotel, Southend On Sea

3 great sounding gigs all within half hour walking distance of my abode. Lovely.
Hey Johnnyboy, great minds think alike....I'm doing all three of the same shows in Brighton:-

Silver Apples - Friday 30th July
Telescopes - Wednesday 18th August
Jim Jones Review - Wednesday 6th October

Plus I've got tickets for Besnard Lakes, Brakes, Black Mountain, Archie Bronson Outfiit and Drive By Truckers all down here in Brighton too. Gig-fucking-tastic!!! 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Silver apples tomorrow!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Ads wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Silver Apples - 6/8/10 - Railway Hotel, Southend On Sea

Hey Johnnyboy, great minds think alike....I'm doing all three of the same shows in Brighton:-

Silver Apples - Friday 30th July
Telescopes - Wednesday 18th August
Jim Jones Review - Wednesday 6th October

Plus I've got tickets for Besnard Lakes, Brakes, Black Mountain, Archie Bronson Outfiit and Drive By Truckers all down here in Brighton too. Gig-fucking-tastic!!! 8)
Nice!

It's those seaside vibes at work........
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Ads - what did you make of Silver Apples? I'd had quite a few light sherries beforehand and was distracted by a local night out and meeting up with people anyway but I found him to be very hit and miss and sometimes a bit embarrassing, like a hippy uncle on acid singing at a wedding or something. Loved Oscillations and You & I but overall it was just one part of an even better night out, if you know what I mean.

Failed on making it along to the Telescopes, so how were they in Brighton?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ordered tickets for Mogwai in Feb.

also saw that Dungen are touring the UK in Nov, but I'm already going to a gig on the same day as the Birmingham date.. aarrggggh!!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

johnnyboy wrote:Ads - what did you make of Silver Apples? I'd had quite a few light sherries beforehand and was distracted by a local night out and meeting up with people anyway but I found him to be very hit and miss and sometimes a bit embarrassing, like a hippy uncle on acid singing at a wedding or something. Loved Oscillations and You & I but overall it was just one part of an even better night out, if you know what I mean.

Failed on making it along to the Telescopes, so how were they in Brighton?
I thought Silver Apples were great Johnnyboy. So good in fact that I nearly ended up seeing them in London the following week too, but that was also due to the fact that a friend's band, Eat Lights;Become Lights, were supporting and Sonic was DJ'ing. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. The SIlver Apples played in a church down here and he literally had them dancing in the aisles! (I'm serious!). 8)

The Telescopes gig was tonight and I'm not bothering going as I'm still recovering from last weekend's trip to La Route Du Rock (it was fucking amazing!).

Seeing the Besnard Lakes down here this Friday though. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Well, The Besnard Lakes were absolutely superb on Friday night. Was a bit stoned and pissed which helped as well! Lush vocals, scorching guitars and just great, great tunes. Can't remember who origianlly mentioned them on the board (I think it might have been Spzretent?) but, whoever it was, thank you very much for bringing them to my attention. Fantastic gig.

PS: Woo-hoo.....my 1000th post!!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

LCD Soundsystem - Sept. 24th Philadelphia Cruise Terminal

Chapterhouse - Oct. 3rd The Bell House, Brooklyn
(might even due the next night in The Village @ Le Poisson Rouge)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Low in Leeds and Coventry. Wilco in Newcastle. Not much else.
squirrel
Known user

Post by squirrel »

Multiple Guided by Voices reunion dates
The National
Flaming Lips
Rush (heh...taking a light saber)
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

New York Dolls - Newcastle - Sunday week..
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Clientele on Sept.9 in Oakland
Hope Sandoval&Warm Inventions in S.F.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Off to see our old forumite, They Transmit, and his band, Eat Lights;Become Lights in London tomorrow night supporting the Telescopes. Then Black Mountain down here next week before seeing them again with Black Angels at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in early October.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
n1alist
Known user

Post by n1alist »

New York Dolls - Monday
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spacemanrich wrote: Hope Sandoval&Warm Inventions in S.F.
this i wish i was going to. seeing hope last year was definitely a highlight- i've never been in a crowd that was as quiet and attentive. beautiful.

i just dropped a bunch of money on tickets and the wife and i are going to-
the vaselines w/ dum dum girls
dean and britta (playing galaxie 500 songs)- might buy a ticket for the second night to this later. cheval sombre is opening too!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Just another vote for RANGDA. got to see them on Thursday night. power, power, power. happy. Rangda.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I was curious if Wooden Shjips had booked Detroit yet and stumbled across this http://boomslangfest.com/ a 3 day music fest in Lexington Kentucky. Sonic Boom, Wooden Shjips, Akron/Family, Rangda, His Name Is Alive .......and others all on Friday night for $15 in advance :shock: :shock: We're thinking of making the 8 hour drive down Thursday :D
I think I feel it coming on