What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by Shinesalight »

Ads wrote:Off to see our old forumite, They Transmit, and his band, Eat Lights;Become Lights in London tomorrow night supporting the Telescopes. Then Black Mountain down here next week before seeing them again with Black Angels at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in early October.
Eat Lights; Become Lights were immense on Friday night. Didn't stick around to catch the Telescopes headline slot as I had to make a mad dash for the train but it was no bother as EL;BL were so good. They really are one of my favourite live bands at the moment.

Oh, and a few other gigs coming up..... Archie Bronson, Jim Jones Revue and Drive By Truckers all down here in Brighton and These New Puritans in London town.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Black Mountain were incredible last night. A bit prog rocky but I just couldn't stop nodding my head along to the pounding beat and there were some awesome guitar riffs. The new stuff sounded great and they finished with a monumental rock out. Great strobes too. Got tickets to see them again in London next week with Black Angels and am well looking forward to it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

just arrived in Lexington, Kentucky after a 7 hour drive.

Tonight at Buster's:

Sonic Boom, Wooden Shjips, His Name Is Alive, Akron/Family, Zak Riles (Grails) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) 8) 8)
I think I feel it coming on
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

purespace wrote:just arrived in Lexington, Kentucky after a 7 hour drive.

Tonight at Buster's:

Sonic Boom, Wooden Shjips, His Name Is Alive, Akron/Family, Zak Riles (Grails) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) 8) 8)

WOW!

Have a wonderful time!

M
Design.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I'll post more later as we're about to hit the road for home, but some of Sonic's guitar equipment went south on him before the gig. So what happened? Sonic Boom backed by Wooden Shjips :shock: :D :D off. the. hook!!!!!!!!!!! Sonic opened with Walking and Falling. Then the Shjips joined him for an incredible version of I Believe It and closed with Suicide. The entire night = OMFG. Chatted up Peter and Ripley and met the guys from Death (Detroit punk from the 70s).

I am pretty much beside myself right now and can't wipe the mile wide smile off my face. I videoed most of I Believe It. Will post a link if the quality turns out.

Big shout out to Zak Riles and His Name Is Alive.

Thank you all of one hell of a night.
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

His Name Is Alive played right outside my shop last Saturday night. They were great. Nice to hear that fuzzed out guitar from Warn.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, was listening to Surgery by the Warlocks earlier and I'd forgotten how great an album it was. Anyway, started checking out some of their vids on YouTube then took at a look at their Website and, to my surprise, found they were doing a European tour in November:-

http://www.thewarlocks.com/schedule.php

Only one date in the UK.....Sat 6th November at the Luminaire in London with the Tamborines (ignore the fact it says the 4th at Cargo on their Tour page.....I've checked it out and it looks like they're definitely at the Luminaire). Went to the We Got Tickets site and they only had 9 tickets left. I've snapped up 4 leaving just the 5. Just thought I'd let you all know as I'm sure there are some big Warlocks fans on here. Was a bit surprised this was the first I knew about this, but fucking glad I got some tickets. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jim Jones Revue are playing in Portland tomorrow night (9/17). I actually know the dude who owns the label that their first album is on so I've had a copy for quite awhile now. I also saw Black Moses a few times before they broke up. Jim's a killer front man so I am interested in seeing JJR. I know Radio 6 (?) has been trumping them big time but they are unknown on these shores. They're actually opening for Lemmy and Slim Jim's (Stray Cats) new band, The Head Cats. I'll probably pop down and at least catch JJR.

Eels on 10/8 and then maybe Liz Phair on 10/13. Not sure about Liz but I do like her first two albums. I lost interest with the third album and haven't bought anything since so I have no idea what I may be getting myself into. When 'Exile in Guyville' first came out I really wanted to see her but never did so I'm a bit curious. Tickets are pricey though ($25).

Still looking forward to that Black Crowes gig too in early December.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Black Angels Thursday 9/23 Aarhus - Denmark
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one Ads, that Warlocks date seems to have had no promotion at all!
ditto for these UK Dungen dates that i thought people might wanna know about- I was hoping to go to the B'ham date but unfortunately i'm going to another gig that night.

Sat-Nov-13 Dublin, Whelans, Ireland
Sun-Nov-14 Birmingham, The Academy, UK
Mon-Nov-15 Manchester, The Roadhouse, UK
Tue-Nov-16 London, Islington, The Academy, UK
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Purespace...sounds like an awesome night!

Nice one!!!
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:nice one Ads, that Warlocks date seems to have had no promotion at all!
I know. I knew absolutely nothing about and, like I said, just stumbled on it by chance, Are you going?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ads wrote:
angelsighs wrote:nice one Ads, that Warlocks date seems to have had no promotion at all!
I know. I knew absolutely nothing about and, like I said, just stumbled on it by chance, Are you going?
don't think so. I don't live near london way, but I am tempted as it's a Saturday.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Ty Segall and Tyvek tomorrow night!

The last show I went to was Spectrum in MAY. :(

EDIT: (meaning the last show in San Diego...i completely forgot about Chicago)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Crocodiles at the Mercury Lounge, NYC next Wed. 9/22.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:Crocodiles at the Mercury Lounge, NYC next Wed. 9/22.
just decided to go see them on monday at the empty bottle. all the fuss over the new album made me finally take the time to give them a listen today.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

shalloboi wrote:
just decided to go see them on monday at the empty bottle. all the fuss over the new album made me finally take the time to give them a listen today.
Let me know how the show was.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

purespace wrote:I'll post more later as we're about to hit the road for home, but some of Sonic's guitar equipment went south on him before the gig. So what happened? Sonic Boom backed by Wooden Shjips :shock: :D :D off. the. hook!!!!!!!!!!! Sonic opened with Walking and Falling. Then the Shjips joined him for an incredible version of I Believe It and closed with Suicide. The entire night = OMFG. Chatted up Peter and Ripley and met the guys from Death (Detroit punk from the 70s).

I am pretty much beside myself right now and can't wipe the mile wide smile off my face. I videoed most of I Believe It. Will post a link if the quality turns out.

Wow. You didn't happen to record/find a recording of that yet? And Death was there?! Too cool.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

purespace wrote:I'll post more later as we're about to hit the road for home, but some of Sonic's guitar equipment went south on him before the gig. So what happened? Sonic Boom backed by Wooden Shjips :shock: :D :D off. the. hook!!!!!!!!!!! Sonic opened with Walking and Falling. Then the Shjips joined him for an incredible version of I Believe It and closed with Suicide. The entire night = OMFG. Chatted up Peter and Ripley and met the guys from Death (Detroit punk from the 70s).

Jealous. That sounds like a very good night, indeed. :)

Um, I haven't bought any tickets, but I am still thinking about going to the Gorillaz in November and both MGMT and Suede in December. All in Berlin. If there are still any tickets left, I'd first opt for Suede. Not sure about the other two. But I feel I have to see the Gorillaz because it might be the first and only time they'll ever come to Berlin. MGMT... Mh... Maybe. :lol:
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:
shalloboi wrote:
Let me know how the show was.
it was a pretty good show- loud loud loud and the music was rock solid. they have a fantastic rhythm section. my main complaint was the singer's rehearsed and well-honed lead singer moves- i find that kind of posturing extremely off-putting.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The singer, Brandon, has been doing that in every band he's started to ride the coattails of whatever indie style is popular at the time. Right now it's Alan Vega, but three years ago it was Morrissey.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:The singer, Brandon, has been doing that in every band he's started to ride the coattails of whatever indie style is popular at the time. Right now it's Alan Vega, but three years ago it was Morrissey.
:lol: That guy's a bit weird. But he's got a rather good taste in music, I suppose. It's a bit like Bono.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

shalloboi wrote:
it was a pretty good show- loud loud loud and the music was rock solid. they have a fantastic rhythm section. my main complaint was the singer's rehearsed and well-honed lead singer moves- i find that kind of posturing extremely off-putting.
Eeesh! I had a feeling he'd be like that. Still looking forward to checking them out and (most importantly) a trip to NYC. I haven't been back to the Mercury Lounge since I played there many moons ago in '97.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Minky wrote:
shalloboi wrote:
Eeesh! I had a feeling he'd be like that. Still looking forward to checking them out and (most importantly) a trip to NYC. I haven't been back to the Mercury Lounge since I played there many moons ago in '97.
Funny, I just remembered...we opened for Kenickie
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

toomilk wrote:The singer, Brandon, has been doing that in every band he's started to ride the coattails of whatever indie style is popular at the time. Right now it's Alan Vega, but three years ago it was Morrissey.
that would explain the leather jackets, then.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Crocodiles @ Mercury Lounge was terrible! The singer (Anthony Michael Hall in the Breakfast Club) was so fucking annoying. I wanted to nail his feet to the floor. The sound sucked. The gig had that "2nd hand" embarrassment feeling. I feel for their backing band, who were real tight and seemed the most real!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Chapterhouse - Brooklyn 10/3. Seventeen years since I last saw these guys. Very excited about this one.
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

Swans- October 9
The Dandy Warhols- November 6
Einstürzende Neubauten- December 14
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

ghetto_defendant wrote: Einstürzende Neubauten- December 14
Lovely. Is that one of those "two night" affairs? First night gig/second night Q&A (or something)?

B,
S.
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

Guessed wrote:
ghetto_defendant wrote: Einstürzende Neubauten- December 14
Lovely. Is that one of those "two night" affairs? First night gig/second night Q&A (or something)?

B,
S.
it is, think they're US tour is limited to only a few cities, but each city is hosting the 2-night affair, we got tix for the concert, not the Q&A, and it seems like the 2nd night is in a different venue than the first night in each of the cities for some reason.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Most recently at Toots and the Maytals, Electric Picnic festie, MGMT (well to see Spectrum really), and Mudhoney last night.

Tickets bought for The Black Angels, Red Sparowes, Ozric Tentacles, Swans, New Model Army (got a free ticket for this one), LCD Soundsystem, and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Likely to also go to Zion Train, Cave, The Black Keys, Merzbow, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Atari Teenage Riot, Underworld, Leftfield, and The Wedding Present playing Bizarro (unfortunately the same night as the Weddoes is Steve Ignorant playing the songs of Crass and also in another venue Sun Araw! All 3 gigs on at the same time too. Grrr! :evil: )

There's a few others that'll be last minute decisions. Busy, busy time. And expensive.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Eels...tonight (Oct. 8 )!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Deerhunter this wednesday 10/20
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

spzretent wrote:Deerhunter this wednesday 10/20
Stream/Download from the D.C. show last week.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130386900
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:
spzretent wrote:Deerhunter this wednesday 10/20
Stream/Download from the D.C. show last week.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130386900
thanks for posting that- i am missing them this weekend as i'll be out of town. i also found out that they played on saturday for free and i missed it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Off to see These New Puritans at the Barbican in London on Saturday night. Haven't heard any of their stuff but its being bigged up as something pretty special. Also seeing the Charlatans at Brixton Academy tomorrow night. Can't believe I've been seeing them now for 20 years! Haven't heard any of the last 2 or 3 albums but a friend has put me on the guest list and I'm sure it'll still be a great show.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was going to Grinderman on December 1st, but it has now been CANCELED.

Really bummed. Their last date on the tour too.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Black Keys tomorrow night ,really looking forward to this ,first gig in a couple of months.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

November 10: Dean & Britta doing Galaxie 500
November 11: Nobunny
November 23: Clinic
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

October 30 - Lovetones / Quarter After / Asteroid #4 at Spaceland (come by and celebrate my birthday that night!)
November 4 - Gary Numan at El Rey (playing Pleasure Principle in entirety)
November 5 - ExDetectives at Where Social (does it count if it's your own band playing?)
November 6 - ExDetectives (party at the studio!)
November 20 - The Raincoats at MoMA NYC
December ? - X (don't know which show I'm going to, but they're playing Los Angeles in entirety).
January ? - The Melvins (they're playing a month-long residency at Spaceland and I'm going to at least one of them)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The Black Angels / Black Mountain this Saturday 11/06.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Sylvester Anfang and Dom Keller in Nottingham tonight fuck no gigs in a few months then 2 on the same day different venues. Checked the times each are on so should be ok!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Double feature here in Portland too....Asteroid #4 and the Lovetones at one venue and Spindrift at another. Thankfully, the two bars are almost next door to one another. I'll catch Asteroid #4 then mosey over to catch Spindrift.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Warlocks in London this Saturday. Then looking to see them again in Amsterdam in December if my mates can pull their fingers out. Was meant to see Midlake at the Roundhouse on Tuesday but the tube strike scuppered that. Luckily it was a freebie so didn't lose money on the ticket which would have been a dounble blow.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jonsi tomorrow night @The Fillmore Detroit.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Tonight - The Chap at Luminaire
Sunday - Gable and others at Lo Recordings 5th birthday
Monday - Wire & Factory Floor at the Lexington
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Finally a GIG!

Nov 19th... The Lost Soul Crusade @ Bush Hall!

Anyone else other then Shaun???

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spzretent wrote:Jonsi tomorrow night @The Fillmore Detroit.
Whoa! Like a modern day Supertramp! And with the most bizarre crowd I have seen in Detroit for a long time.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Fuck me......The Warlocks were fantastic last night 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd love to make it down to london on 18th, but im in work that day, depends what hours i'm on etc...
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Ads wrote:Fuck me......The Warlocks were fantastic last night 8)
i hope they announce some shows in the u.s. next year- seeing them do a two night stand in a tiny club last year proved to be the highlight of my show-going year. they always put on a good show.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I know its not exactly on your doorstep Shalloboi but the Warlocks just posted this on their FaceBook page and this could be of interest to you:-

The Warlocks: As if we didn't have enough gigs already NYE in Los Angeles with The Warlocks is shaping
up to be one stellar evening. Bands include The Warlocks (12-1245) The Meek (11-1145) Black Flamingo (10-1045)
Chelsea Wolfe ...(9-945)LANTVRN (1am) all live at the Smell! Downtown! LA! Its going to be a good show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByvdsitgrE8
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Seeing the Drive-By Truckers tomorrow night and Titus Andronicus on Wednesday, both in Brighton. Really looking forward to the DBT's tomorrow. Saw them at Greenman a couple of years ago and they were great.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw Drive By Truckers myself in London over the weekend- I really enjoyed it considering I didn't know a single song! they rocked harder than I though they would too (in fact wouldn't have minded a few more laid back acoustic stuff to break it up as it could sound a bit samey). there were also a couple of covers of songs by a soul singer called Eddie Hinton which I really enjoyed.

what did you think Ads?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Fucking loved it Sighs. I've only got the last 2 albums, which I think are great, and the stuff I didn't know (either newer songs or back catalogue stuff) sounded well impressive too....the opening track especially. Actually I've been trying to find out what the opening song was because I really like it. I think they mixed up the mellower stuff and rockier stuff pretty well at the Brighton gig. Be interesting to see if it was a completely different set list or if we've got totally different views on what is mellow/rock.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

don't get me wrong there was definitely some mellower and more laidback moments, but it was still in the rock format. would have liked some proper acoustic/country songs to break it up a bit.. just nitpicking really.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

SUN ARAW last night in London was excellent. Lovely and loud. All I was hoping for really though they seemed concerned about some sound glitches. Couldn't hear any myself bar the vocals not being as echoed as on his records. Can't wait to see them play again. Anyone else go?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Fuck......I'd completely forgotten they were playing in Brighton tonight. Already arranged a night out for dinner with my parents, plus I've already done 2 gigs already this week so no chance of going. Bummer :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

2 great Low shows this week, was nice to hear a track off their first album! Also, that great smiths cover came back out...
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it appears that dean & britta at lincoln hall on december 3rd is the only show i have on the horizon.
my wife and i are trying to resist the urge to see superchunk at the metro the night before- we both love superchunk but loathe the metro. two different friends have bought extra tickets with us in mind, though, so i'm beginning to think of it as an inevitability.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Cave are playing a few gigs round the UK at the moment. Going to see them In Manchester on Weds night and i am super excited to for this. And also Sun Araw the night before in Leeds.
davy c
Known user

Post by davy c »

May do Cave as well, also got tickets for;

Sleepy Sun At Band On The Wall, Manchester
Interpol at Manch Apollo (although I cant be arsed with this, standing ticket of anyone interested)
In between days @ Minehead (cant wait, great line up)
Sonic Youth-Manchester Academy
Decemberists next year @ same venue
Primal Scream at the apollo

Also will be getting tickets for Wire and Deerhunter both next year in Manchester
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

davy c wrote:Sleepy Sun At Band On The Wall, Manchester
Gutted there is no dates up here in Scotland... prob my album of the year too... :cry:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw both The National and Interpol last week. both were quite good though more solid than spectacular and suffer from being a bit samey.
maybe Interpol just edged it for me as I'm a big fan of that sleek post-punk sound. they are also something of a supergroup at the mo with David Pajo on bass & Brandon from Secret Machines on keys!

got tickets for Explosions In The Sky in Manchester next May too. I might even get a ticket for their London date too as I'm a bit of a fanboy.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got the triple bill of Howlin Rain, Moon Duo and Wooden Shjips to look forward to on Monday down here in Brighton. And then, I think thats it for the year. Looking through my diary I reckon I've done more gigs than ever this year :D

Perhaps we can start another thread......What gigs have you been to? Or am I just showing off?! :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Godspeed... next Wednesday at The Barras in Glasgow... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anticipation is killing me...