Charlatans

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

MODLAB
Site Admin

Charlatans

Post by MODLAB »

I think it's a great album. They do put on a good show.

The Charlatans' Some Friendly album is 20 years old and rather than celebrate in their Manchester backyard, the band has announced a one-off London show to play it in its entirety.

http://www.electricroulette.com/2010/02 ... -show.html

M
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Re: Charlatans

Post by clewsr »

It is a good album, I was always fond of the Charlatans, but never saw them live. Unfortunately we finally got to see them when Tim Burges was singing falscetto every song. It was not good. I bet this show will be worth seeing though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I heard 'Opportunity' from that while in a shop when it first came out. It made a huge impact and I bought the album on the spot. Sadly, to this day, that is the only track I like! Still, worth having for that song alone.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

These were one of my favourite bands back in the day. In fact, apart from Spiritualized I think they are the band I've seen the most times. Not their best album (its either their self titled album or Up To Our Hips for me) but I reckon it'll be a pretty special show none-the-less. Another gig to add to the list.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I think also some of the most beautiful birds would show up to these shows. Of course to see Tim. But hey was fun to be second best at times.

M
Design.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Good point Modlab.....they always did attract a lot of fit indie girls. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Hmmmm - tempting.

I remember going to their first London show at the Dome in Tufnell Park - real buzz about that.

But I stopped going to see them because I felt so old at the shows, and that was back at the beginning of the 90s so God knows how I'd feel now!!!

Agree that the s/t album is fantastic, however.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Greeny wrote:I remember going to their first London show at the Dome in Tufnell Park - real buzz about that.
I was at that gig! I paid £10.00 from a tout and thought it was an outrageous amount to pay. Good night though.

Never seen them since or know any of their stuff.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gosh, I went to see them about 15 years ago and it was great show. I, was also able to meet them during an autograph and short gig session at a record store. I, think it was shortly before/after one of their band members died ? I forgot how, though ?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Some bizarre history in that band. Diodn't the keyboard player get involved in an armed robbery and go to prison?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

runcible wrote:Some bizarre history in that band. Diodn't the keyboard player get involved in an armed robbery and go to prison?

and another was killed in a car crash. keyboardist's do not seem to stay long with them like the Dead.. heehee.

M
Design.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Some bizarre history in that band. Diodn't the keyboard player get involved in an armed robbery and go to prison?
MODLAB wrote:and another was killed in a car crash. keyboardist's do not seem to stay long with them like the Dead.. heehee.
Same bloke. Yeah, he was the getaway driver if my memory serves me well and he died in a car crash a few years later just as they were becoming pretty massive (they suported Oasis at those huge Knebworth gigs in the mid-90's).

Really didn't think The Charlatans would be feeling the love on this board. Thought the majority of people on here would just have them down as baggy also-rans. It was always the Roses and the Mondays who got all the critical aclaim but I've always had a soft spot for the Charlies and they always put on a great live show. In fact, didn't they have a guy who did the lights for their shows who was famous in the 60's or something or am I completely confused?

Oh, and their double header Daytripper gig in Brighton with Ride was absolutely amazing.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
andracoz
New user

Post by andracoz »

They would have been much much bigger but when the keyboard player got sent down they stopped playing and they waited for him to come out before starting again, i didn't realise that it was him who died a few years after? such bad luck when the charlatans with all due respect could have been the biggest band of the lot.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:
Really didn't think The Charlatans would be feeling the love on this board. Thought the majority of people on here would just have them down as baggy also-rans. It was always the Roses and the Mondays who got all the critical aclaim but I've always had a soft spot for the Charlies and they always put on a great live show.
I think you're right Ads - I was always a Roses and Mondays fan but didn't see the Charlatans magic bar that one track I love. Tim Burgess also really annoyed me one time when they had to tour the US as The Charlatans UK. When questioned he said it was because of 'some 60's no hopers' with the same name. That really wound me up - the original Charlatans (sort of 64-69) might not be the most famous band of the psychedelic era but there is no question of their significance. Some of the original movers & shakers from that time such as the Diggers list the Charlatans as the most important band from the Haight-Ashbury scene. 'No hopers' was pompous and inaccurate.

Still, I hope this Charlatans UK gig ( :wink: ) brings you all good cheer!
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

seen them around the time their first album came out which was a quite enjoyable show tbh and at a couple of festivals since over the years where they've bored me to tears, i actually had a ticket for solfest last year but when i found out they were headlining i flogged it and went to the big chill instead, best move i ever made considering the difference in the weather and quality of entertainment between the two fests! how they've ever managed to drag out a career for over twenty years is beyond me :?
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I liked The Charlatans alot..until Tim moved to LA. It seemed to lose something then. 'The Charlatans', is in my top ten all time albums and 'Wierdo' & 'The only one i know' are also colossal records.

I remember Ian Brown dissing Tim in public, accusing him of trying to be him back around 2000 time. Not sure about that one Ian.

Worth remembering Rob Collins too. He actually said he had no knowledge his 'mate' (who he was giving a lift too) was going to commit armed robbery. Wrong place, wrong time i guess. Great keyboard player too.
Hey Jayne
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I don't mind people knowing I like them. I own 5 albums and listen to a few of them on occasion.
They were great 2 out of the 3 times I had seen them.

M
Design.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i am probably in the minority but i think their album 'us and us only' is the best dylan record of the last 30 years. phenomenal and something i still enjoy immensely.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Here's a great video of them doing Indian Rope at Reading festival back in '92. I remember this so well....really amazing live performance with an atmospheric light show to match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY0WvsHNa2s
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Ads wrote:These were one of my favourite bands back in the day. In fact, apart from Spiritualized I think they are the band I've seen the most times.
Ditto

edit

oh...and SFA
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I think I only saw them the once, at the Town & Country Club in Kentish Town around the 'Looking For The Orange One' era. I bought the first two 12"', didn't really like the debut, loved Up To Our Hips and the s/t album, North Country Boy is glorious. They spent a little while under the influence of the Performance film as well didn't they. Couple of their videos showed signs of that, Tim dancing with a florescent light tube just like Jagger in Performance. Not really paid attention to them since but I like the way they've stuck around doing their own thing. Tim DJ'd down at my local in Southend on Boxing Day and the year before with the Horrors boys, had a chat to him and he seemed really nice. I admire his new sober lifestyle.....if he's still keeping it up.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I dig the Charlatans. I have most of their albums, aside from the last two or three, none of which I could latch onto. I got a chance to meet them on a few occasions when they played Chicago and they were always humble and down to earth. Mark Collins chatted with me for awhile about guitar gear and Tim and I discussed the fact that they stopped playing "Toothache" because Mark didn't like his guitar part (best part of the whole damn song!). I don't think anyone has mentioned "Tellin' Stories," which I think is one of their finest albums.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I think that is a great album Paul. That is one of the ones I listen to.
Between 10th and 11th is great too.

Mark
Design.
musicheals
Known user

Post by musicheals »

Love them. I own all their records and singles (for completist sake :roll: ) but Between 10th and 11th is my favourite. Best track of theirs for me though is Occupation H Monster. For anyone who hasn't heard it, check it out
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

After all this talk about the Charlatans ( an almost forgotten band by me ) I digged deep into my record collection. I'm afraid I didn't have to dig that deep into my Charlatans collection for I only have (2) of their albums : Some Friendly and Tellin' Stories. Played Tellin' Stories twice and it was a great listen, haven't heard that album in ages. As I was listening, I read the liner notes and it looks like the album was completed before Rob died, their is a short dedication to him. Forgotten that all the members signed my cd booklet. :D Gotta get the other albums...
swinny
Known user

Post by swinny »

One of my fave bands for a long time - "The Charlatans" is an immense album and one of the first I bought as I was getting into music in the mid 90s that had a big effect on me...defo be in my top 10 I would think.

From the debut up to "Wonderland", they are all pretty decent and have some decent tunes (Tellin' Stories being being probably the best known album)...last few though (Simpatico and You Cross My Path) just haven't done it for me though and barely got more than a listen before being shelved. As someone said above, since Tim did his solo thing and moved to LA full-time, things seem to be digressing slowly and they've lost that magic...

Seen them live loads and had some great nights, however the last time I saw them (in support of the You Cross My Path album that was given away free) they really really irritated me. New songs just weren't known or interesting people, but they insisted on playing most of it, interspersed with a few hits - so you'd go from blinding party time sing-alongs with everyone getting in to it to sudden apathy and boredom whilst everyone waited for a good one again - one of the strangest gigs (and setlist choices) i've seen!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Charlies have now been included in the Primavera line-up playing Some Friendly in full.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I would totally go out of my way to see a Some Friendly show. Always liked them and glad they're still around.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Anyone going to their acoustic shows that Tim and Mark are taking around the country?:-

http://www.thecharlatans.net/gigs.html
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone