Chapterhouse?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

MODLAB
Site Admin

Chapterhouse?

Post by MODLAB »

Anyone go?

M
Design.
mn_spi
Known user

Re: Chapterhouse?

Post by mn_spi »

I go!
6th/April in Tokyo.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

My saviour!

Looking forward to your review. I heard the Scala show was incredible.

M
Design.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

yeah, I was quite surprised that no one from here went to the London show, or they just havent got round to posting a review yet.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm vaguely curious. I saw them supporting Spiritualized at the first proper gig at the Marquee in 1990 and they were absolutely astonishing - full blown noiseniks and really good at it. Someone told me they were at the last Spacemen gig I saw (Notre Dame Hall in 1989) but I don't remember them.

I then saw them at the peak of sheogaze with Slowdive supporting them but thought they were OK at best and came across as a one trick pony. The place was jam packed - July 1991, Town and Country Club - and a great buzz in the air too. It was THE gig to be seen at at the time. People went completely nuts to opening act Thousand Yard Stare who were surprisingly impressive. Slowdive were very boring after that. When Chapterhouse came on it they went for atmospheric which wasn't what people seemed to want. Pearl with Slowdive's Rachel (is that her name?) doing backing vocals was nice but they under-achieved until they played Why Why Why as an encore which was an incendiary wall of screeching noise that cleared the place but which was by miles the best moment for me!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

They were the support for Spacemen 3 at Notre Dame Hall but all I remember was the noisy song they did at the end of their set. Funnily enough I don’t remember them at the Marquee supporting Spiritualized at all. I also saw them at Reading Festival in about 91 (?) when they came on after Nirvana (and possibly Dinosaur Jr) You could buy these great “Chapterhouse London” T shirts in the style of the classic ”Motorhead London” T.

Rachel (Goswell) was the girl from Slowdive, always a bit pissed off I never got round to seeing them.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: I saw them supporting Spiritualized at the first proper gig at the Marquee in 1990 and they were absolutely astonishing - full blown noiseniks and really good at it.

People went completely nuts to opening act Thousand Yard Stare who were surprisingly impressive. !
:shock: Never thought i'd see the above two sentences.

Chapterhouse and Thousand Yard Stare? Really? :?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Chapterhouse didn't sound anything like they did on record at that date. I went to Rough Trade the next day and asked what I could buy - there was nothing as they hadn't released anything then. The 1st EP - Freefall, red sleeve - was a little disappointing but the 2nd - Sunburst, with the blue cover - has a couple of fantastic tracks towards the end (and a nice cover of The Beatles 'Rain'). Heavy rather than shoegazey really. Bloody hell - I'm going to have to go and dig all this stuff out and play it again!

I caught Thousand Yard Stare a few times as a support act. They were always quite entertaining and had a really frenzied following who used to go bonkers during the set. The 1st EP - Weatherwatching - had a track called Wonderment which is really good. I bought it after seeing the crowd erupt when they played it one time & I got caught up in the excitement. I have a couple of other (less good) EPs they did.

Does anyone remember the very funny piss-takes the much-missed Sounds music paper used to do of Chapterhouse etc. back then? The journos had a great sense of humour and lumped Slowdive, Chapterhouse and Lush into the same bracket and had a sequence of scenes at some unnamed public school with them all squabbling. It always ended with someone talking about 'Tarquin from Chapterhouse' getting his willy out, getting caught reading smutty magazines or scaring the 5th form girls etc. Rather takes me back.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Does anyone remember the very funny piss-takes the much-missed Sounds music paper used to do of Chapterhouse etc. back then? The journos had a great sense of humour and lumped Slowdive, Chapterhouse and Lush into the same bracket and had a sequence of scenes at some unnamed public school with them all squabbling. It always ended with someone talking about 'Tarquin from Chapterhouse' getting his willy out, getting caught reading smutty magazines or scaring the 5th form girls etc. Rather takes me back.
I'm sure that was in the old Melody Maker. I'm sure I remember reading it and I'm quite certain Sounds had already gone tits up by the time Shoegaze was in full swing. Actually, talking about Shoegaze, I heard that Sennen and a few other like sounding bands have been grouped together under the new genre, Newgaze?!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Actually it was, bizarrely, the NME in their 'True Stories' column I think. Sounds went under in April 1991 which was just as shoegaze entered its prime. I almost never read Melody Maker which seemed to more of a musicians paper for a time and then just not very interesting.

This is about the only clipping I can find, curiously on a Chapterhouse site:
http://www.comeheaven.com/press/mm-12oct91.html

I do recall a load of journos dismissing the shoegaze bands as being posh and therefore unworthy of serious attention.

Sounds used to have a column dedicated to Rab Snotter, a fictitious crustie (Christ - anyone remember those guys?!), which used to make me smile. Those were the days when the NME and Sounds were essential weekly reading.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

Chapterhouse & Slowdive were a breath of fresh air to the Thames Valley as its not been a hotbed of decent music ever really.Chapterhouse were originally called incest and Slowdive the Pumpkin Fairies, playing kind of primitives garage pop - chapterhouse were fierce live, 3 guitar attack, much better than on record, saw some great, ear shattering gigs of theirs.
Caught their kind of comeback thing at truck festival with the electronics guy ulrich
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ads wrote: Actually, talking about Shoegaze, I heard that Sennen and a few other like sounding bands have been grouped together under the new genre, Newgaze?!
Nugaze Ads. Do keep up. :wink:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:I'm vaguely curious. I saw them supporting Spiritualized at the first proper gig at the Marquee in 1990 and they were absolutely astonishing - full blown noiseniks and really good at it. Someone told me they were at the last Spacemen gig I saw (Notre Dame Hall in 1989) but I don't remember them.

I then saw them at the peak of sheogaze with Slowdive supporting them but thought they were OK at best and came across as a one trick pony. The place was jam packed - July 1991, Town and Country Club - and a great buzz in the air too. It was THE gig to be seen at at the time. People went completely nuts to opening act Thousand Yard Stare who were surprisingly impressive. Slowdive were very boring after that. When Chapterhouse came on it they went for atmospheric which wasn't what people seemed to want. Pearl with Slowdive's Rachel (is that her name?) doing backing vocals was nice but they under-achieved until they played Why Why Why as an encore which was an incendiary wall of screeching noise that cleared the place but which was by miles the best moment for me!
I was at that T&C gig. I remember Rachel coming on. Can't remember much else about it to be honest. It was all speed and weed back then for me. Fond memories of those days and seeing Ride at every opportunity and Slowdive, Pale Saints etc etc. I recall the music weekly's regular piss takes of the whole scene as well.....sonic cathedrals of sound, being posh. They loved it for a while then turned their backs on it as soon as the next new sound came along (was it grunge that killed that scene?). Fickle twats.......but then saying that so was I as I stupidly sold off a load of albums and singles from that era once I'd moved on. Huge regrets.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:Nugaze Ads. Do keep up. :wink:
Sorry. I'm useless with my scenes and genres. Nugaze indeed :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm gobsmacked that I've been unable to find a single write-up of this Scala gig, all the more annoying because a new-look Engineers line-up were the support, and I was really keen to see if they had got their mojo back after that dreadful show at Bush Hall...

It's almost like The Gig That Never Was....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: a fictitious crustie (Christ - anyone remember those guys?!)
To quote Gerry Adams - "They never went away you know". :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

At Reading 1990 there was a permanent camp of about 100 crusties outside the entrance the festival site. They were pretty dirty and smelly to start with but became more so as the festival went on. Having said that they kept to themselves and seemed to be having fun, but a large mob of them was quite a sight!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:At Reading 1990 there was a permanent camp of about 100 crusties outside the entrance the festival site. They were pretty dirty and smelly to start with but became more so as the festival went on. Having said that they kept to themselves and seemed to be having fun, but a large mob of them was quite a sight!
Reading '90 was my first festival experience and I certainly remember there being quite a large crusty contingent. My defining memory of the weekend was of one particular pissed-up crusty, fuelled on by countless 3 litre bottles of Strongbow no doubt, trying to get over the arena fence with a home-made grappling hook made out of a bent over metal tent peg. As he started to climb up the fence, the hook came loose and flew into the air before embedding itself into his head! He just pulled it out with loads of blood flowing and just tried the whole thing again! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-90.html

The Reading Festival 1990 is a dim and distant memory for me I`m afraid to say , the crusties ? yeah ,having checked the line up in the above link ,my abiding memory is having listened to Janes Addiction`s Nothing Shocking all the way down from Scotland ,and parking our arses near the stage around 3.00pm beiing informed by the bloke stood next to us that John Peel had just announce them as a no show !! after accusing him of a pretty poor line in humour and the realization that he was right sunk in,we were f8cking gutted ,the thought of watching janes followed by Mudhoney was one of the things that drew us ,so gutted that i couldn`t really enjoy Mudhoney .... after a few drinks and J`s we managed to enjoy The Cramps who were suitably manic Lux (rip) in particular pulled out all the stops ,didn`t he always ,a real f8ckin` trooper .
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Thanks! Missed that completely, even though I'm a regular visitor to DiS...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, i couldn't really afford to go, even though I was in London that night.

I don't recall this being billed as their last UK gig? I thought they were gonna do a little tour.
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

I went to last night's gig in Tokyo.
The opening "Ecstacy II" was so beautiful.
"Falling Down", "April", "Pearl", "In My Arms", "Come Heaven" and etc, I'm full.
They played 17 or 18 tracks. I think that show was around 80 minutes.
Kirsty Hawkshaw was very important for Chapterhouse2010! Her chorus was splendid.

In Japan..., I must grieve that there weren't many audience. Unfortunately.
But there were a lot of people who longed for them.

-set list of yesterday(in my memory)

Ecstasy II
Treasure
Falling Down
Greater Power
Something More
April
Precious One
Then We'll Rise
Rain
Autosleeper
Breather
Come Heaven
In My Arms
Pearl
If You Want Me
Love Forever
Inside Of Me

(They do a show in Tokyo on 9th/April. You are in time for it! Get the air ticket to Tokyo right now! I'll attend you!)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mn_spi wrote:Kirsty Hawkshaw was very important for Chapterhouse2010! Her chorus was splendid.
)
I used to fancy Kirsty Hawkshaw so much when Fine Day came out. :)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

US leg of the tour has been delayed, probably until the end of september

i hope some boots show up
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]