STOOGES/SUICIDE

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

STOOGES/SUICIDE

Post by ORBITAL »

Anyone on here going to the Monday May3rd London show feel free to gimme a shout......
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
olliemorr
Known user

Re: STOOGES/SUICIDE

Post by olliemorr »

I went last night. Suicide were pretty shite. I had great expectations when they opened up with Ghost Rider as it sounded great. Loud as hell. But then it went on, and on, and on, and on. I think Ghost Rider merged with Rocket USA at some point because suddenly they kicked into Cheree. After that I couldn't tell any of the tracks apart. I was really looking forward to Frankie Teardrop as well but I don't know if it happened or not. :/ I know they're getting on a bit, but compare that to Iggy & the Stooges however who were absolutely astounding. How a leather man of Iggy's age can carry on for an hour and a half or so non stop is good going. AND he crowd surfed multiple times despite everyone thinking he'd given it up for good after that time recently when he wasn't caught. But yeah, the band sounded fantastic, utterly tight. They all seeemed to be enjoying it. A few songs in (Shake Appeal?) Iggy invited the crowd to join him on stage...cue stage invasion. I will say though, nobody wants to see iggy's arse or his man garden. There were quite a few 'comedy' moments involving his jeans which were falling ever lower and lower.

Here's the setlist (stolen from another site):
1. Raw Power 4:30 Min.
2. Search And Destroy 3:26 Min.
3. Gimme Danger 4:27 Min.
4. Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell 4:53 Min
5. Shake Appeal 4:50 Min.
6. I Need Somebody 3:48 Min.
7. Penetration 3:42 Min.
8. Death Trip 4:22 Min.
9. Cock In My Pocket 3:15 Min.
10. I Got A Right 3:14 Min.
11. I Wanna Be Your Dog 5:09 Min.
12. Nineteen Seventy 4:11 Min.
13. L.A. Blues 1:12 Min.
14. Night Theme 1:34 Min.
15. Beyond The Law 3:53 Min.
16. Open Up And Bleed 10:31 Min.
17. Fun House 5:40 Min.
18. Kill City 4:40 Min.
19. Johanna 4:16 Min.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Fucking fantastic setlist!!!!! Wish I was there
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I enjoyed Suicide, I actually thought they were pretty funny, Alan Vega and Martin Rev seemed to want to come across as confrontational but didn’t quite pull it off. I liked the relentless booff, booff, booff, booff of the drum machine which never changed pace throughout the set. I didn’t really expect a straight rendition of the record in fairness so wasn’t disappointed.

You’ve gotta love Iggy though, he just seemed so happy to be on stage and playing these songs again and man, he gave his all. I loved the way the Stooges came on with no fan-fare just James Williamson picking up his guitar and slamming straight into Raw Power.

You are right though Ollie, no one wants to see Iggy’s “man garden” although it was touch and go at times, saw plenty of his leathery old arse though!

(Another) great night!!
Last edited by nickh on Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

i saw the stooges at the 9:30 club in Washington DC with Ron playing guitar, and i was right in front of iggy the entire time, and id say about 35% of the show he was on top of me. i had a sweatshirt on as it was cold outside and when i got home in had blood all over it from iggy bust his knees open on the rail between the stage and the crowd. it was kinda gross when you think about it. but damn were they good, it seemed like they were almost on fire. and at the end i yelled to a roadie for a setlist, but instead he tossed me one of Ron's guitar picks with the stooges symbol and his signature on the back.....SPZ should have some of those made up!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Quality night Sunday.

Was really looking forward to seeing Suicide and I'm still not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Stooges were fantastic.

Jason was there by the way, looking very chirpy.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

From start to finish they just ripped the place to pieces. I never expected it would be that good. Iggy is a force of nature and Williamson's guitar sounded awesome. Best start to a gig ever too, walk on and rip straight into Raw Power. I cannot even begin to image the ferocity with which they used to play with as younger men if sunday night was anything to go by. I left feeling sad that Ron's no longer with us though. What a night.

Saw Bobby G, Kevin Sheilds and Jarvis loitering outside too.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

First of all, I just want to thank Life Is A Problem for coming on to the board and genreously giving away a pair of tickets for this astounding gig (you are going to love it when you see it ATP). I went to last nights show and was absolutely blown away.
jesus son wrote:Jason was there by the way, looking very chirpy.
Secondly, after years of reading everyone's anecdotes about meeting Jason, I finally got to meet the man myself. Was sitting near the front of the circle when I noticed Nick Cave walking in behind me. As I pointed him out to my mate I suddenly realised he was with Warren Ellis and Jason and Juliette. They took their seats in the front row of the balcony and managed to catch about half of Suicide's set. During the interval I ummed and ahhed about going to say hello but, as lame as it sounds, I got really nervous and in fact went down to do it once and bottled it :oops: . I eventually plucked up the courage and crept down to them and said hello. Jason and Nick were both great and really easy to chat with. I told Nick I'd seen him driving in Brighton last week and had in fact got a bit of road rage and called him the c-word as he'd come bombing round a corner while on his phone. I didn't even realise it was him till he passed me! Anyway, he laughed and said everyone calls him a c**t so he probably never noticed! They both really rated the Suicide performance and when I said I thought there was too much echo/reverb in the vocals and I couldn't really distinguish one song from the other (I think Olliemoor made a similar point earlier) they said they liked it like that and that it'd been even more distorted when they'd seen it the previous night. I told Jason good luck for the ATP gig this weekend and he told me he was hoping to catch the Stooges again.

They were both so nice and I was so glad that I wasn't disappointed after meeting 2 of my musical heroes.

Anyway, as for Iggy.....where the fuck does he get the energy?! I would struggle singing after a short walk uphill but he runs around like a lunatic, throws himself into the crowd time and again and is still never out of breath on the vocals. The band were spot on (Williamson made an awful lot of noise with minimal effort) and the songs just getting pumped out at full velocity. Yes, the encouraged stage invasion was a bit cheesy and I could have done with less of Iggy's torso on show (even from up above in the circle he didn't leave a lot to the imagination) but what a performer. Cave and Jason were nodding throughout and Juliette was dancing along with it and they all clearly loved it.

What a night. Especially as I only went via someone else's kind generousity. Thanks once again Life Is A Problem.

:D :D :D 8) 8) :D :D :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Life is a Problem
New user

Post by Life is a Problem »

Hey Ads

I am glad you had a great night. Those tickets were clearly meant to be for you! Thank you for taking them and not letting them go to waste!
Can't wait to see Stooges on Friday at ATP. I have waited sooo long to see them
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

so, last night suicide...wow! 95% of the audience had not a clue what was going on. it was brilliant! then for the stooges, well, it was ok. nice to hear 'your dog' and 'search and destroy' but chorographied stage invasions, taking the piss of the people in the 'rich' seats (how many millions do you have iggy?) and nearly exposing your torso, singing about being in high school, meh
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jesus son wrote: Jason was there by the way, looking very chirpy.
i saw nick cave on the train on the way buying mini chedders or as he said 'the cheese ones on top errrrr'
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

bunnyben wrote:so, last night suicide...wow! 95% of the audience had not a clue what was going on. it was brilliant! then for the stooges, well, it was ok. nice to hear 'your dog' and 'search and destroy' but chorographied stage invasions, taking the piss of the people in the 'rich' seats (how many millions do you have iggy?) and nearly exposing your torso, singing about being in high school, meh
Well, what the hell did you expect him to do? Sit there with an acoustic guitar and tell stories between songs? It's Iggy fucking Pop....
So gutted i missed this, sounds fantastic. Love the fact Jason went twice, he's such a geek :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ads that is a brilliant story! so glad that your heroes didn't disappoint you.

I could have met every band member (except Jason) at the Leamington gig last year, but I chickened out. Good to see someone has some balls!
Did you speak to Warren Ellis too? When I was at ATP it was impossible not to meet him, he was everywhere (including being in Crazy Horse every night)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:
bunnyben wrote:so, last night suicide...wow! 95% of the audience had not a clue what was going on. it was brilliant! then for the stooges, well, it was ok. nice to hear 'your dog' and 'search and destroy' but chorographied stage invasions, taking the piss of the people in the 'rich' seats (how many millions do you have iggy?) and nearly exposing your torso, singing about being in high school, meh
Well, what the hell did you expect him to do? Sit there with an acoustic guitar and tell stories between songs? It's Iggy fucking Pop....
So gutted i missed this, sounds fantastic. Love the fact Jason went twice, he's such a geek :lol:
i expected full on intensity. the stories i hear of him all those years ago made him sound, well unballenced and dangerous. now the mask is more obvious. after the show he went and had some camonile tea and a hot water bottle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full official recording of the May 2nd gig here: http://rippedinglasgow.blogspot.com/201 ... smith.html

Elsewhere on the same blog you'll find an audience recording of Suicide's set from the following night.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five