SPECTRUM US TOUR

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spacemanrich
Known user

SPECTRUM US TOUR

Post by spacemanrich »

Spectrum plays w/ Wooden Shjips in S.F. :) , here are the rest of the tour dates :

USA TOUR DATES - MAY 2010

Thurs 13 May – The Velvet Lounge, Washington, DC

Fri 14 May- Golden West Café, Baltimore, MA

Sat 15 May – Abron Arts Centre, New York, NY with Dean & Britta

Sun 16th May - Kung Fu Necktie, Philadelphia, PA

Tue 18th May – Middle East Club Upstairs, Boston, MA

Wed 19th May – The Knitting Factory, Brooklyn, NY with Cheval Sombre and Vacant Lots

Thurs 20th May – The Darkroom, Chicago, IL

Fri 21st May – The Comet, Seattle, WA

Sat 22nd May – East End, Portland , OR

Tue 25th May – Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA with Wooden Shjips

Thurs 27th May - The Echo, Los Angeles , CA

Friday 28th May – Soda Bar, San Diego
toomilk
Known user

Re: SPECTRUM US TOUR

Post by toomilk »

SODA BAR!!!!! HOLY JESUS YES!!
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

HOLY SHITE, the golden west in Baltimore....yeeessssssss

ps: i love how everytime Spectrum plays Baltimore they put Baltimore, MA as the listing. MD is maryland, man it would suck if there was a Baltimore in Massachusetts and i went to see them in MD and they werent there
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Nice! Will try to make it out for this one for sure. Any other Chicago area folk going to this?
runcible
Site Admin

Spectrum US tour

Post by runcible »

Just got this in my mailbox and was asked to pass it on...

Following on from his recent MGMT production duties , Sonic boom takes Spectrum out for a walk around the block with a mini US tour. The tour features the full band line-up , with Bass duties currently being pummeled by Guto Pryce of Welsh pop psych luminaries Super Furry Animals .

Thurs 13 May – The Velvet Lounge, Washington, DC
Fri 14 May - Golden West Café, Baltimore, MD
Sat 15 May – Abron Arts Centre, New York, NY + Dean&Britta
Sun 16th May - Kung Fu Necktie, Philadelphia, PA
Tue 18th May – Middle East Club, Boston, MA
Wed 19th May–The Knitting Factory, Brklyn,NY Cheval Sombre & Vacant Lots
Thurs 20th May –The Darkroom, Chicago, IL
Fri 21st May –The Comet, Seattle, WA
Sat 22nd May –East End, Portland , OR
Tue 25th May –GAMH, San Francisco, CA + Wooden Shjips
Thurs 27th May - Spaceland, Los Angeles , CA
Friday 28th May – Soda Bar, San Diego , CA
please check age restrictions at respective venues

myspace.com/spectrumofficialpage myspace.com/sonicboom

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Warmth:

Are you going to tape the show ? I don't have a tape recorder, otherwise I would tape the S.F. show.

Hopefully their will be new material besides the old standards.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't have plans to record it. I will talk to the bassist in my band, who has a decent handheld recording device and maybe we can set it up and see how it comes out.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The warmth:

Did you go to the show on Thursday nite ? Was it the same setlist ( material ) played on the last couple of tours or any new songs added ?

Cheers,
R.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Pete's in Portland tonight. Last time he played Portland it was decent but felt slightly deja vu from the previous gigs. Not sure if I'll go but I may decide last minute to pop down.

Any reports from Seattle?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, I went to the Chicago show. The setlist was something like this:

Mary
Set Me Free
How You Satisfy Me
Che
The Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
Suicide

The first few songs were a bit snoozy and the sound was far too quiet. However, things got a bit louder after some of the audience (a sparse one) made it known to the soundman that more volume was desired. Johnny Ace was spectacular and probably the highlight of the gig for me. The band overall was super tight. I spoke to both Pete and Guto after the show and they were both perfect gentlemen. I had a great night. Oh, Pete said that they had to stop doing War Sucks because it was killing his vocal cords.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Almost the same setlist for S.F. that was in Chicago, except that Pete reintroduced ' War Sucks ' into the mix, as well as ' A Pox On You. ' Overall, a great crowd ( almost full ) and the Wooden Shjips were excellent. Missed a little of the Wooden Shjips act, because parking was shite ( Obama ) is in town. Instead of fundraising for Barbara Boxer - $10,500 / plate dinner you would think that he'd be in Louisiana for the BP Fiasco ... priorities first, I guess ? :evil:
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Thats a bloody great set list love pox on you and Johnny Ace. Theres some real good footage floating on you tube from the recent dates- including a liver version of razzle dazzle.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got back from the San Diego show. Very fun night, hampered by a few misfortunes, but a good time nonetheless. First off, the venue was a surprising choice. It's situated in a neighborhood that is very shady (eg, cars broken into, friends mugged, etc.). It's a venue that used to be home to nascar fans and skinhead brawls. Recently, it was turned into a 'hip' bar by people who own a few other popular places in San Diego. Thus, it suffers from the "gentrification hipster" plague. "I'm in a dangerous neighborhood...I'm seeing the guy who produced MGMT!....I'm out late....I feel cultured!!!!" ....etc etc. that kind of bullshit. I feel like the venue choice was a shot in the barrel affair for those involved with Pete's camp. The sound is generally pretty bad in the venue (read: dive bar). Tons of feedback. Levels never great. Way too loud usually. But overall, their set sounded good. It should also be said that the stage is only a step above the rest of the floor. The layout of the bar is that about 2/3 is devoted to a bar/booth area and the other 1/3 is the stage/audience area. So a very intimate setting...

Opening bands were complete Shit. Capital "S". Those at the SF show were spoiled. First was Jeans Wilder, who is a friend's good friend, so I thought I'd give him a shot. His set consisted of turning off all the lights on stage and running around the audience screaming with feedback/reverb drenched vocals. Played to an iPod that was equally drenched in reverb, so it sounded like a dump truck running into a stack of tickle me Elmos. Tried to much to be Suicide and failed greatly. Second act was local hipster heroes Heavy Hawaii. Based on looks, I should have left. But I'm not that shallow. Again, hipster fucking douchebags. Wavves wannabes. However, they did have a few decent songs in their set, but they were ruined by their undivided attention to the "reverb style" of Wavves and the like to be truly appreciated. 'Tis a shame.

Then Spectrum went on. Loud, intimate, and in your face (literally). When I saw them the last time, the band seemed haphazardly assembled, but tonight they really seemed like a band in the truest sense. The "Jason" of the band (sorry for the limited description...the guitar play who isn't Sonic) was great........

M'lady is complaining, so I'll have to finish this in the morning...........

EDIT: So yeah, the Jason ("the Jason") was played great. Basically wiped his ass with the opening acts. He had a rosewood telecaster just like another Jason we all know, but it sounded fantastic. Couldn't really hear Guto though.

Really small stage, so people were crowded around all of Pete's gear, which became a problem at certain points in the set. At the end of "Mary," some dumbass walked across the front of the stage and touched his stylus. Pete looked at him and said "Touch it again and see what happens." The guy had to be 17. Him and his group of friends were up in Pete's buziness. Two of them were these little crazy dancing girls who wouldn't stop talking. They had to be on something. At the end of revolution (I think...), one of them walked across the stage, which prompted Pete to walk off the stage to go talk to her. She didn't come back. The crowd cheered. Then when he got back, he let some kid play his Theremin, which was awesome. But then at the end of Suicide, the kid tried to play the Theremin again after Pete left the stage. Seriously? Some complete idiots in the crowd...

All in all a very fun night though. Ran into Myegi (sp?) from the forums (everyone who went to the London shows met her) and she pointed out A Beautiful Noise to me. They had lots of really cool projectors too. On had what looked like sea monkeys dancing around and the other was like an acid trip/water bubble thing. Very cool. Whenever Jason laid into his wah-wah, he would look up at the acid projector, which was zooming in and out to his wah.

Set list (off the top of my head):
Mary
Set Me Free
How You Satisfy Me
Che
Johnny Ace
Razzle-Dazzle Mind ("this is a new song")
Revolution
War Sucks
Suicide

I talked to the someone taking pictures at the show and I'll hopefully post a link to them soon. Here are some: http://www.edwinhimself.com/blog/2010/0 ... -diego-ca/
Last edited by toomilk on Sun May 30, 2010 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote:. The "Jason" of the band (sorry for the limited description...the guitar play who isn't Sonic) was great........
That 'Jason' is actually called Jason. Unless they've changed the guitarist but that seems really unlikely.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

...it sounded like a dump truck running into a stack of tickle me Elmos.

Ha-ha! This rules.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

i dunno if i would say that Heavy Hawaii was absolutely shit, 2 of them were in my favorite local band Fantastic Magic until Nathan split to do Wavves. yeah they were dripping in reverb which just added to the messy sound, but i thought that the drumming was stellar.

as for Spectrum, the set went well, a rather limp version of 'War Sucks' but that might be expected at the end of the tour and Pete stating that his vocals chords are blown from playing it. Highlite for me was definitely 'Revolution' it was deafening in parts, well done. would have loved to hear them mellow things out a bit, the whole show had the same feel and at parts of the show when we got closer to the stage it did feel like i was standing in a field watching a re-enactment of the civil war, but none the less a very fun night out and some good tunes.

now for the drama, he took a few pot-shots at the audience from on stage, a slight skirmish broke out, he pissed and moaned and generally didn't seem to be enjoying himself which is unfortuante because as i said the show was quite good. before the show a friend was talking to Pete and asked if he was gonna play the Daniel Johnston cover and Pete got pissed saying that it's bullshit that Jason covered that song and he did it 15 years ago and that he'll never play it again (fair enough his version is ace but ugh! why so nasty??) anyways after the show my friends are standing outside having a chat when a guy and girl approach Pete to ask if they can take a photo of him and he slaps the camera outta the guys hands and starting bitching 'you'll never take my picture...blah blah blah" and then stormed back into the bar, unfortunately i missed this debacle as i would have loved to chime in.

fun night indeed!

got to see a few old faces from the board which is always a nice surprise, (sorry cleb i didn't get a chance to chat too long), porkchop this was one i wish you should not have missed many great laughs were had and toomilk you should have come up and said 'hi' would have been nice to meet.

shonn

supershonn

me

noisette

abeautifulnoise

(i think that's all the usernames i've had, sorry moderators!)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sounds like Pete was just in a bad mood. Bummer. At least it was a good show. I think I would have been quite pissed off if I'd have been the guy who had the camera slapped out of my hands.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Pete in a pissy mood, you don't say ??? :cry:

Hey, Pete if your reading this : " don't be a baby ". Jason's cover of " True Love Will Find You In the End " is much better than your's :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I missed out on his off-stage antics. It sounds like a shame. However, I have to say I can stand behind what he was pissed about on-stage. The keyboard/stylus DIs and power supplies were at the very front of the stage and the two people he clashed with were getting much too close to them. This really goes to show that Pete shouldn't be playing venues like that. He deserves much more.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Mussels wrote:Pete in a pissy mood, you don't say ??? :cry:

Hey, Pete if your reading this : " don't be a baby ". Jason's cover of " True Love Will Find You In the End " is much better than your's :D

I hadn't realised that JP had covered this as I've not actually listened to much his stuff since, well LGM.
Never had much time for it since the big band / gospel choir stuff.
Having just youtubed Spritualized / True Love Will Find you in the End and watched the unplugged / full blown strings that came up, I'm not tempted to change my mind.
PK by a landslide.