ATP LAGWAFIS

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

ben crook
Known user

ATP LAGWAFIS

Post by ben crook »

hello

longtime no post. hope you're all good.

just wondering who is attending ATP next weekend for LAGWAFIS?

is anyone attending who saw the previous shows and who owns the reissue boxset?

thanks!

ben
Life is a Problem
New user

Re: ATP LAGWAFIS

Post by Life is a Problem »

Hi Ben

I am going to ATP and went to the Manchester and London show last year.
I haven't got the reissue.
Can you ask J Spaceman to do a duet with Daniel Johnston? he is playing before Spiritualized
True love will find you in the end would be amazing!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so, who went? was it any good? pretty good pic here.

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4139 ... o/21#photo

apparantly Jason played with Kokono No 1!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGe8Ictt6E

Video of the soundcheck.

So.....any reviews?
GimmeDanger
New user

Post by GimmeDanger »

Hello

Longtime Spacemen3/Spiritualized fan but first post.

Spiritualized were incredible at ATP, and as earlier posted J Spaceman did a surprise jam with Konono No1.
This ATP really was on of the best I have attended with amazing sets from The Stooges, Konono No1, Tounami Diabati, Deerhunter, The XX and of coarse Spiritualized. But the highlight was without doubt The Bordoms.

Didn't get to meet the Spaceman as I did last year (he is the perfect gentleman) but a really special weekend.

No real changes with the Spiritualized set - they still did Out Of Sight as an encore. Speaking to others at the festival, there seemed to be alot of people who went to watch them as the were a headline act who were not big fans or followers of their music, but everyone seemed very impressed.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

ben crook wrote:All Tomorrow's Parties are looking for Spiritualized fans to interview at this weekend's festival at Minehead.

We'd like to interview you briefly about Ladies & Gentlemen..., about your connection and memories of the album, about the reissued record and the Don't Look Back performances of the record.

If you'd like to be filmed, PM me or email

lagwafisatp@googlemail.com

Interviews will be filmed in a private space on the main site near the Centre Stage.

See you at Minehead!

b
Hey Ben, did you find any fans for the interview?!!! Gutted I couldn't go... (well, I'll qualify that- I HATED Butlins when I went before, but I'd still would have liked to see the gig).

Thanks for the mini review GimmeDanger!
Any more out there?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Footage of the Konono No1 jam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ7p7KxBR0
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the review GimmieDanger, good to see the band went down well. The general feeling from other messageboards seems to be they went down a storm. what stage was the kokono jam on?
that clip of the soundcheck is lovely.

sunny.. how can you hate Butlins?? :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I wish I could have gone to see this. Very small mention in the independent review of atp

"Spiritualized, though, are an event. There have to be 20 of them up there, including an eight-piece choir and a timpani. They play through their seminal Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, which becomes something extraordinary in a live orchestral context. It's massive: a wall of devotional sound blowing a capacity crowd practically off its feet."

Nice description.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 71171.html
GimmeDanger
New user

Post by GimmeDanger »

From The Quietus Website:

Spiritualized play Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

You know how every time that wingnut Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream needs to build an extension on his Georgian town house in the leafy lanes of Canonbury and he releases one of those risible Rolling Stones records like 'Rocks' or 'Country Girl'? Well, in his head, this is what he thinks he's doing. Of course he's not clever enough to realise that actually that is the equivalent of the Stones releasing an album full of big band swing. Spiritualized however, reinvented epic gospel rock for the 90s, with an allegorical look at heartbreak as drug addiction. The sheer quality of Ladies And Gentlemen can be seen by the fact that all of these so-called UK event rock albums of the mid 90s, by The Verve and Oasis etc now all sound hopelessly dated by comparison. Even the recently reformed My Bloody Valentine's noise wipe out during 'You Made Me Realise' sounds pretty stupid compared to the two eviscerating free noise blasts during tonight's show. For this is not just noise for noise's sake; the way that the gospel choir slowly comes back in through the white noise at the end of 'Cop Shoot Cop' is sublime and a demonic/angelic portrayal of how strong drugs (and heartache) ebb and flow in waves. 'I Think I'm In Love' must be the song of the weekend though and has the entire room stood in utter silence. Special praise must go to whoever the sound engineer was for getting such amazing results off the often lamentable Pavillion Stage. This and other gigs by Grinderman, Amadou and Mariam, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Silver Mount Zion and Oneida have proved that getting a face melting sound in such a bizarrely shaped room is not impossible.
GimmeDanger
New user

Post by GimmeDanger »

Again from The Quietus Website:

Konono No. 1, Jason Pierce, Boredoms, Liars

Talk of this one-off collaboration quickly spread via text and Twitter on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately though, something doesn't quite work about what should have been a fascinating musical rendezvous. Stage left is Aaron of Liars and various members of the Boredoms ensemble. In the middle. half of Konono No.1, and on the right, sat on a stool, wearing shades, guitar on his lap (uh oh) is a dour looking Jason Pierce. The American rhythm section acquit themselves pretty well, but applying snare and cymbal to the endless eddies of Konono's thumb piano, loose trance is an almost incongruous fit. What Jason Pierce is up to is anyone's guess - he seems to be blamed for the screaming feeback that keeps cutting across the room. The various members of Konono No.1 look deeply unimpressed. Nevertheless, that such a collaboration could be attempted at an ATP is yet more proof that we're at one of the most exciting British festivals in years.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I've found a review from Drowned in Sound as well: http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4139 ... dis-review
Konono No.1 do a hell of a lot with very little. Often performing with a membership in double figures, they arrive from Kinshasa with a trim complement of six stern-looking musicians. Their music is similarly minimal - tight, intense patterns are struck from their electrified thumb pianos and repeated ad infinitum. It’s a mesmerising trick, and towards the end of the set new levels are added with some unexpected vocal harmonies. Paradoxically deeply progressive and rooted in tribal tradition, they achieve a trancelike intensity throughout and even hint at the odd smile as they take their rapturous ovation. Later in the evening they return in for the surprise gig of the weekend, teaming up with all the non-Boredoms Boadrum drummers and a certain Jason Spaceman for a not-so-secret secret gig that rams the tiny stage of Jumpin Jaks. Occasional squalls of feedback aside, the music they play is a true wonder, even if the moods onstage seem pretty foul.
When Spiritualized last played ATP, almost a year ago to the day, their set was a mixed bag that proved largely underwhelming. This year however, their decision to play Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space put matters to rights. Aided by a full orchestra and choir, Jason Pierce and co. bring the house down. The title track now sees the much-lamented 'Elvis sample' sang by the choir, 'Come Together' proves devastating, 'Broken Heart' achingly beautiful, while the complex arrangements of 'Cop Shoot Cop' sound exquisite and masterful with each passing minute. That they play to one of the biggest crowds of the weekend probably speaks volumes for the reverence Ladies And Gentlemen... is held and their performance justifies its grand status from beginning to end.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

here's original artwork that I believe was created while Spz was playing. I think the artist did this for a bunch of other artists too.

http://songbytoad.com/wp-content/upload ... HT-SML.jpg

Here's the blog entry from the artist: http://songbytoad.com/2010/05/jenny-soe ... s-parties/
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

did anyone record the audio of any of it? :D :P
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Not sure if i have missed something, but why were the moods "foul"??? Did they not know what to expect from Jason or was there something that happened earlier before that caused this?

Does seem s alittle odd to organise a collaboration with people you don't like or are not in a good mood with...