Brian Jonestown Massacre tour

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Brian Jonestown Massacre tour

Post by runcible »

I don't know if anyone else has been to one of these current shows...

I just got back from Manchester and feel enormously frustrated. The gig at the Academy 2 was potentially excellent. No fewer than 4 guitars, often 5 and for a couple of songs SIX guitars (I've never seen that before!), and Matt Hollywood back in the line-up. It should have been a triumph. And they played well - you could tell glimpses of quality buried in the mix. Sadly the sound was utterly horrific. I should have realised this earlier as the support band The See Sees, who sounded quite interesting, were so loud and distorted (in a near empty venue) that it was impossible to work out what was actually going on - so unpleasant the party I was with all left and went to the bar holding their ears.

From the moment Super-Sonic started in BJM's set I was worried as what came out was a lumpy, lead weight of sludgy bloated noise that was so far away from what the band were trying to get across that at times I found myself grimacing. The set list was truly spine-tingling with endless classics - Anemone, Servo, Vacuum Boots, When Jokers Attack, Oh Lord, Satellite, Hide & Seek etc. - but everything sounded absolutely horrible. Ricky Maymi looked very concerned at the rumbling mess that came out of the P.A. which suggested something wasn't right. The band gave it their best shot but they were so up against it there was no way this gig was going to work. During Anemone and Not If You Were The Last Dandy On Earth (superb lead guitar from Anton) things approached some degree of decent sound but any hopes of pulling something out of the bag were quickly dashed by the next song which would crash into muffled distortion.

I've seen umpteen BJM shows and this was easily the worst and it wasn't their fault. Their audience always tends to be a tad feisty but this lot were really horrible. Every time I've seen BJM in Manchester the place is full of complete idiots - even more than normal. People throwing pints of beer (lots of girls doing this tonight for some reason), full and empty beer cans and plastic cups thrown throughout, tossers chucking lit cigarettes, wankers barging through the crowd, a fight starting to break out at one point. It was not a great night and what should have been a brilliant show was massively disappointing. The friends I went with - seasoned BJM veterans who'd seen shows in Paris in Amsterdam on this tour - were gutted at what happened. That's one of the most unpleasant crowds I've encountered for a while.

I was dubious about going to see them again in Manchester and won't ever do so again after this. What a let down - and nothing to do with the band.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre tour

Post by spzretent »

Thank Dig!
People think that is what they are supposed to do.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This time they were throwing beer/cans/cups/cigarettes at everyone else in the audience rather than the band. If the sound had been OK I might have come away satisfied as I expect dickheads at BJM shows, particularly Manchester (a city I may not like much but that's no reason for the BJM punters there to be so revolting).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There really is no excuse for behavior like that. That sucks.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yup. I've seen complete wankers elsewhere at BJM shows like Leeds - generally chucking beer in Anton's face - but there is a nastier element at the Mancunian gigs for some reason.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I saw them in 2007 and it was similar to your experience, except for one defining factor...it sounded amazing. Girls were picking fights with other girls, people were heckling anton, anton was heckling his band and roadie, random members walked off stage in the middle of songs, people were breaking pint glasses on the floor, 5 minutes monologues ("Hey! You paid me to entertain you. Let me entertain you." - Anton) between songs, wet substances flying around overhead, etc etc. It was the most tense show I've ever witnessed. Everyone was on edge and it felt like the crowd would erupt at any moment. BUT the band sounded amazing. Their gear had just been stolen, they were all sick, and they didn't want to be there, but the songs were executed beautifully and everything came through clear. Of course, Anton complained about monitors, the way other members played, and his tuning the entire set, but none of that came through to me. They played for over 2 hours and ended with an epic 30+ min "Sue" that turned into a mammoth wall of feedback. It was an odd night where I felt like my life was in danger, but that was ok because if I was going to go for any reason, it had to be this. It felt important, like they would never be like this again or they were going to kill each other after the show.

Obviously, that was not the case since I saw them about a year and a half later when they opened up for Primal Scream. I think it's the same line-up runicible has been describing. It was quite a different experience. They were the opener and only played for a little over 30 minutes. No crowd interaction (minus the one girl up front who was yelling stuff to Anton the entire set...and actually left once PS went on). No antics. No life-threatening situations. No beer-chucking. Sound was decent, but not great - I'd have to blame that on the venue. It seemed like they were a completely different band. Maybe you just have to see them in a supporting slot?
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Cannot really add much to Runcibles post, call me anal but when i go to see a band live i really like to be able to hear them rather then some lo frequency bass rumble which is the loudest thing you can hear. Not the BJM's fault at all who played a near 2 hour set. Sublime set list including Sue which is a personal fave. I usually find Manc aud to be pretty appreciative just think its more a BJM crowd that attracts a huge number of dickheads shame.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

On the BJM board someone has said 'Manchester last night was fucking phenomenal!!!! Not a single flaw whatsoever.'

My God - I know they have dedicated fans but even I'd admit when my favourite band sounded like shit.

I forgot to mention that Joel's mic appeared to be switched off so all his shouts and backing vocals during 'Got My Eye On You' were 100% inaudible, thus rendering the track rubbish.

Toomilk - it's hard to get a rise out of Anton these days because by all accounts he has cut out all alcohol and is far better natured so his tirades of abuse at band members, roadies, audience are rare. I must have seen BJM a dozen times now and that was a) the best I have seen him behave, but b) the worst BJM gig I've ever been to.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I too have seen the band numerous times over the years and I agree with toomilk, 2007 was easily the worst year I have seen them. They were tense, the audience tense and there was heckling and bad banter from Anton that was, at times, borderline racist and homophobic. The band's reluctance to stand up to Anton during his outrage seemed to silently support his behavior. Say what you want, but when a drunk white guy uses the "N" word or calls people a "faggot" and uses other homophobic references I tend to get very uncomfortable and not want to be in their company. Let alone, give them my money.

BUT, I caught them again in 2009 with Matt back in the line-up and they were great. Audience was fine, well behaved and the sound was decent. Anton was noticably calmer bar a couple of newer songs he did with pure venom spitting down the microphone. He was also noticably sober. No vodka bottles by his side as in the past. Audience too is getting younger and I'm sure 'Dig' has a lot to do with that.

Shame that the audience and venue ruined what could have and should have been a killer gig, runcible.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
Shame that the audience and venue ruined what could have and should have been a killer gig, runcible.
Yup. I'm still very frustrated at 'missing' the gig due to the sound making it unlistenable. I can cope with the unpleasant audience as I've come to expect that at their shows. Folks on the BJM board are all over each other with praise for how amazing it was. As far as they are concerned BJM can do no wrong. I'm happy to admit when my favourite bands aren't good or something isn't right.

You're right about the drinking. I have friends who know the band quite well and say Anton is totally booze-free now - not a drop ever. But then he was actually killing himself with it.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Manchester crowds are always the worst in my experience, and I am from there. That said, crowds in Paris are very unpleasant from my memories too, especially at the Mono and Low gigs.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just back from the Dublin gig which was the very last one of the tour. Not bad, i'd only seen them once before and this was pretty much the same as that: good bits and not so good bits. I'm hopeless with their song titles but they played a lot of the stuff i like and not too much of the twee jingle jangle stuff,which i don't like.
Due to someone chucking an egg :!: to the left of Anton about an hour in, we got a walk off but they all returned 10 minutes later. Up to that i'd been thinking how well behaved crowd (a mixture of young and old) and band were.

One question, and i know it's gonna sound dumb, but is there really a need for 4,5 or 6 guitars on stage at once? Yes it looks cool and creates employment for wastrel musicians but i'm sure they could reproduce the same sound with 3 guitars at the very most, probably do it with 2. :?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

They've had 3 guitars for ages - Anton, Frankie and Ricky. It works really well I think. Matt Hollywood recently returned - he used to play bass but has since switched to guitar so that's why they added a 4th. Roadie Travis - who was in the line-up itself many years ago - occasionally plays on the songs he originally featured on. Piano player and all round musician supremo Rob Campanella (of The Quarter After) wrote some of the guitar bits on a few songs so he switches to guitar from keyboards on those songs. It makes sense but it takes a really amazing sound system to get everyone heard properly. I've seen them when the sound has clicked and you can hear all the individual guitarists - it's great. That was my issue with Manchester the other night - the sound was so appalling you couldn't tell what anyone was doing.

As far as the set list goes it's radically different from any that I've seen before and would have featured only around half of what you would heard last time Sunray. They've brought back lots of the Hollywood penned tunes which is great. The potential of the other night was huge but the sound system and whoever was on the mixing desk completely ruined it.
Fuller
Known user

Post by Fuller »

I saw them in London, Birmingham and Belfast on this tour and thought they were good, certainly a lot better than when I saw them a couple of years ago in Northampton where the crowd was full of people trying to wind a very drunk Anton up (and succeeding). The crowds were definitely better this time around, except in London where a flying plastic beer cup hit me in my back, thus leaving me soaked. I think on their day they can be terrific though and I was glad to see Matt back in the fold, and it was great to hear Cabin Fever live.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Seen them 4 times, and its always a mixed bag. I saw the Glasto show in 2008, very poor. First time I saw them in 2006 was brilliant. I have heard Anton has stopped drinking so am sure the shows are benefiting too.
The crowd are always going to be like that for their shows, people who have watched Dig too much, I remember a kick off at the Carlisle show in 2007.
Great band though, 3 classic albums in my opinion- Their Satanic Majesties 2nd Request, Bravery Repetition and Noise and This Is Our Music.
How were tour support The See See? Get on well with them, great jangly psych.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

spzretent wrote:Thank Dig!
People think that is what they are supposed to do.
I agree totally, everytime I have seen them since dig was released there have always been elements if the crowd deliberately trying to provoke Anton to react, when I have seen them in Leeds they've had to put up with the thrown pints and heckles which is such as a shame as on their day they are amazing
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BJM roll into town tonight. I've seen them a lot over the years so I'm hoping for a serious shake up in the setlist tonight.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Not a bad show in Portland but not a great one either. Could be a combination of things. They are at the end of a long tour and possibly tired. Sound wasn't great here either. Maybe all the different musicians makes it a mixing nightmare? Seems they would have somebody clued up on the board though.

More importantly, the band seem to be on auto pilot. The excitement and risk taking by the touring band no longer seems to be there. There was also barely any crowd interaction between the band, more teenagers in audience or at least young 20 somethings wanting to mosh and cheer when Anton blew up at Rob towards the end of the gig. .

Call me old but I think I'm done with the BJM experience. I've had my fill, I've had my fun, I've seen some great BJM gigs over the years. But, these days I'm more cautious with how I spend my money and I don't think I need to part with it when I know what to expect before I enter the gig nor do I want to be surrounded by assholes hoping for their 'Dig!' moment.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

redcloud wrote:
Call me old but I think I'm done with the BJM experience. I've had my fill, I've had my fun, I've seen some great BJM gigs over the years. But, these days I'm more cautious with how I spend my money and I don't think I need to part with it when I know what to expect before I enter the gig nor do I want to be surrounded by assholes hoping for their 'Dig!' moment.
I think I am with you on this, their music is amazing and Anton is a genius (however flawed!) but I just don't need the hassle anymore. I have recently seen Dinosaur Jr and The Damned and both shows were excellent without a hint of trouble but BJM just seem to attract the idiots :!: . I know this has been trotted out before but Dig has to be responsible for some of this which is a shame because it's a fantastic documentary.
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

However, Anton has no one to blame but himself.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:However, Anton has no one to blame but himself.
in a sense. still, think of how many mistakes and embarrassing things you've done over the course of seven years and imagine if someone put them all into a movie that was internationally distributed, seen by a bunch of people and won a bunch of awards. that movie made pretty much everyone but joel look like an arrogant, bumbling idiot. probably not the best basis for judging a person.
that said one probably shouldn't kick people in the head at their shows. alternatively, if a volatile person yells 'come up here, i'll kick your head in,' one probably shouldn't walk up towards them.
MrSWarning
Known user

Post by MrSWarning »

was fortunate to see them a few times on the european legs and yes one night was maybe not the best but the others were certainly up there. The current set has plenty going for it, supersonic never played before, reintroduction of bsa, cabin fever, sue to name but a few, all makes for a stimulating live show in my book. Band clearly having a good time, minimal tuning up and very little banter means they could do 20 plus songs in under 2 hours, unlike the 3 hours it would have took a few years ago... but maybe I was lucky.

As for the crowds sure they can attract more than their fair share of idiots but as Anton is not rising to the hecklers and bottles been thrown like he used to this seems no way as edgy as it was a few years ago. I have seen recent fights and beer chucking at other gigs not just jonestown and I reckon clearly dig was not helped buts its indicative of the general crowd mentality these days.... they do not respect the artists and dicking about for them IS the night out....did I read some people over stepping the mark at a recent San Diego Spectrum gig...... like I say no respect....
s3greg
New user

Post by s3greg »

i was at this manchester gig and have to agree...
drunken idiots gallour... was a shame like but still didnt let it ruin the gig.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Manchester date was the least enjoyable of my BJM gig career but having said that I'll still try and see them when they roll into town. I like the music too much and generally they play it very well indeed. Anton has had a solid band around him for a few years now and they've gelled in that time. The reintroduction of Matt Hollywood is cool and I really hope the 2 of them write an album that has a glimpse of glories past rather than the solo-esque stuff Anton has been releasing of late.

As far as Dig goes I have met a few people who know Anton well and say that film captures his personality remarkably well. He's always been very friendly on the occasions I've met him but I don't know the guy. The rest of the crew - Joel, Rob, Frankie, Colin, Rick (don't know drummer Dan) - are always incredibly nice and welcoming in my experience.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: The reintroduction of Matt Hollywood is cool and I really hope the 2 of them write an album that has a glimpse of glories past rather than the solo-esque stuff Anton has been releasing of late.
This too will be my hope.
videorahim
Known user

Post by videorahim »

I filmed BJM in 1997 for TVT records. Anton was a complete dick. He accused me of being a liar, accused a reporter of trying to kidnap him and threatened to fire everyone in the band.
When the show started it got worse.
This was before Dig had ever come out.
I love the music and the antics are funny once you see the film.
However dealing with Anton is a disaster.
Watching him kick his drummer for playing the song wrong is hard for an audience to watch.
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I0o_FYirQs
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

What an embarrassment. That kind of behavior is so unprofessional. If I had been at that show I would have asked for my money back and left.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The lack of alcohol intake has made these sort of incidents very rare nowadays I'm happy to say.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

I've been to their Berlin show this year. I enjoyed it a lot. Except for some onstage problems (maybe next time I'll rather stand at the back or not on the very left :lol: ) the gig was pretty amazing. I think the BRMC show two days before that was better though. Made me fall in love with the band after such a long time. Most of the time, it was rather chilled out, nice atmosphere and all that.

"Watching him kick his drummer for playing the song wrong is hard for an audience to watch."
I'd rather not watch this. This man freaks me out anyway. I guess I was rather lucky.
runcible wrote: As far as Dig goes I have met a few people who know Anton well and say that film captures his personality remarkably well. He's always been very friendly on the occasions I've met him but I don't know the guy. The rest of the crew - Joel, Rob, Frankie, Colin, Rick (don't know drummer Dan) - are always incredibly nice and welcoming in my experience.
Yeah, that is the weird thing. You hear a lot of people complaining about him, but then you have the odds that people tell you whenever they went up to him, he was very friendly. As for the rest of the band, that is what I feel like, too.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010