Spiritualized @ old theatre london 26.07.1990

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

peppe
New user

Spiritualized @ old theatre london 26.07.1990

Post by peppe »

just found a tape in my basement of this show, don't know if that's a recording that is already around or what... if anybody is interested in having a copy let me know
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Spiritualized @ old theatre london 26.07.1990

Post by runcible »

I have heard recordings of this before which are clearly edited. If this is the full show (London School of Economics, right?) and sounds good I'd like to hear it as I was there.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I wish I was at the show. So I would say yes please.

B,

M
Design.
peppe
New user

Post by peppe »

the tape i have has one of these eighties bootleg covers and there's "old theatre london 26-07-90" written on it.... so i downloaded the "london school of economics 28-07-90" on jspaceman.com and it's the same gig. the recording i have is much better than the one i downloaded, but my tape is 7 minutes shorter.
here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?3e1dmkzcyjj (mp3 320kbps)

that's my blog with other interesting stuff i recorded: http://swisstapes.blogspot.com/
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I've a copy of this as well but I guess it's the one in regular circulation, although I can't remember where I got it and it's so long since I've listened to it that I can't remember if it's edited or not.

Anyway, peppe's version is so clearly superior that I'm a happy man and giving two thumbs up! :D :D :D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

peppe coming in big time again. Thanks!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

PS: Very good recording. Probably the best quality I've heard from 1990. I love it when the lady yells "JASON GET YOUR KICKS OFF." haha. I also love that "Any way that you want me" has a violin player on it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was in a small theatre with rows of seats and they had a cello player. I went with a group of people, one of whom was expecting a full-blown Spacemen 3 show so had eaten a whole gramme of speed. The gig was amazingly mellow and very far from being noisy so this guy sat there grinding his teeth in frustration. Someone else yelled out 'more laid back PLEASE' - that has to be on a full recording somewhere.

It was the last of the mellow gigs as the next time I saw them at ULU the volume and intensity has increased dramatically.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:It was in a small theatre with rows of seats and they had a cello player. I went with a group of people, one of whom was expecting a full-blown Spacemen 3 show so had eaten a whole gramme of speed. The gig was amazingly mellow and very far from being noisy so this guy sat there grinding his teeth in frustration. Someone else yelled out 'more laid back PLEASE' - that has to be on a full recording somewhere.

It was the last of the mellow gigs as the next time I saw them at ULU the volume and intensity has increased dramatically.
I was at this gig but barely remember it, were the band sat in a semi-circle? I do remember a heckle coming from somewhere to my left after Anyway You Want Me though! Whilst I enjoyed quiet Spiritualized that ULU show a few months later was kind of what I’d hoped Spiritualized would become.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote: I was at this gig but barely remember it, were the band sat in a semi-circle? I do remember a heckle coming from somewhere to my left after Anyway You Want Me though! Whilst I enjoyed quiet Spiritualized that ULU show a few months later was kind of what I’d hoped Spiritualized would become.
They might have done. It's a touch blurry for me too. That and the first gig I saw at the Marquee were so quiet you could talk quietly during the set.

I wonder how many gigs we were both at Nick! I think there must have been quite a few!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I think I was at this one but my memory is a bit fuzzy too. I was only thinking about it a little while back funnily enough, trying to remember what the venue was I saw them at. There was the ULU show when they first started out, everyone sat on the floor, Bobby Gillespie was there in his black leathers, and then this other show which was seated and had an air of respectability about it, like a lecture room. But no, my memory is whacked about it, can't recall a single song or anything.......the shout out of 'more laid back please' rings a distant bell though. Damn you hashish!

Better memories of seeing them at The Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh, Essex around that time. I was half sitting on the lip of the stage for that one. The tour with the 7" singles at each gig.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote: I was at this gig but barely remember it, were the band sat in a semi-circle? I do remember a heckle coming from somewhere to my left after Anyway You Want Me though! Whilst I enjoyed quiet Spiritualized that ULU show a few months later was kind of what I’d hoped Spiritualized would become.
They might have done. It's a touch blurry for me too. That and the first gig I saw at the Marquee were so quiet you could talk quietly during the set.

I wonder how many gigs we were both at Nick! I think there must have been quite a few!
I think you are probably right!

We were spoilt for choice a lot of the time and I probably averaged 3-4 gigs a month back then. I have probably forgotten more than I can remember unfortunately.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I ain't complaining, but this is the complete show contained in one long track.
Would be nice if someone who is capable could track out the recording by song.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

In the middle of "Feelin' Just Fine," the audio drops out. Maybe to flip the cassette? Don't think too much of the song is gone though.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Listening to this now, it sounds wonderful. Thanks for uploading, Peppe