Sonic, NYC, 10/10--a sad sad affair

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Josh6773
Known user

Sonic, NYC, 10/10--a sad sad affair

Post by Josh6773 »

Though I've seen Spz many many many times, I had never seen Sonic before and so I hopped on the train from Brooklyn to see him play a free show last night. Whatever I thought of the show I still love the music and appreciated getting to say hi--even bought him a drink.

Ok. I'll admidt that the venue wasn't great and the crowd was loud and talkative. But nonetheless, all i can say is: it was sad and embarrasing. It was just him stationed in a corner playing a keyboard and sequencer (I think). He didn't even really know what he was doing. He had sheets and sheets of notes telling him what to do and even referred to pencil scrawled lyrics for the Spacemen 3 stuff. You'd think he'd know by now. He had the presence of a confused teenager playing some songs he had cooked up on his casio rather than one half of one of the most influential bands in modern rock. It made me so sad I couldn't stay for the whole show.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents.

Post by Guest »

hmm, maybe he was up in the clouds? maybe just an off night, or maybe just drunk from all the free gifts of drinks!!!

i know quite a few people condemn sonic to the 'avant garde' box as it were, and some feel he's quite fragile with the years of drug useage, sometimes seeing your heroes doesnt match the expectation of course
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

What did he play?
spry saxon

Post by spry saxon »

I'm picturing Ross from Friends...not good.
steven nigel
New user

Post by steven nigel »

it's sad in a way, but I've got two friends who've met sonic, both said he was really nice, but as seems to be the theme, out of it. but please, surely not ross from friends, or anyone from that show. it is also too often the case that meeting your heroes is a dissapointment, at the end of the day they usually turn out to quite ordinary and sometimes a bit dull.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

spry saxon wrote:I'm picturing Ross from Friends...not good.
Everybody knows that Sonic is much more like Joey than Ross!
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

TheWarmth wrote:
spry saxon wrote:I'm picturing Ross from Friends...not good.
Everybody knows that Sonic is much more like Joey than Ross!
Maybe so, but I was recalling the 'keyboard wizard' schtick they gave Ross in one 'hilarious' episode.

Look, I know Friends is crap, just it's always on, you know you can't help but see it, and it is pretty funny most of the time which you can't say for a lot of so called comedy and sometimes all you want is unchallenging entertainment and you know, I work hard all week so come Friday I deserve a little empty entertainment and look, I'm NOT A girl, ok?
It's all happening!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hey, nothing wrong with Friends.

Anyway, there's a different take on Sonic's gig here.

Love,

Ian
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Anonymous wrote:hmm, maybe he was up in the clouds? maybe just an off night, or maybe just drunk from all the free gifts of drinks!!!

i know quite a few people condemn sonic to the 'avant garde' box as it were, and some feel he's quite fragile with the years of drug useage, sometimes seeing your heroes doesnt match the expectation of course
It really depends on when you catch him. I have seen him quite a few times. The Spectrum tour in the UK was great as was the Songs The Spacemen Taught Us(Me?) tour a few years back. I did have the misfortune of seeing that ridiculous Speak & Spell show.
Say what you want but he's anything but fragile from the years of drug useage. Skinny yes. Fragile no.
Ian

Post by Ian »

spzretent wrote:Say what you want but he's anything but fragile from the years of drug useage. Skinny yes. Fragile no.
Yeah, he's always looked pretty robust to me. Whereas the first time I saw Spiritualized, in 1995, I though that Jason looked like he would break if I breathed on him too hard.

Love,

Ian
musicburgler
New user

Post by musicburgler »

Yeah Sonic has always been a skinny dude especialy since he prolly don't eat too much between drugs and cigarettes. The real question I have is weather or not hes still wearing the mocassin slippers as on the SPACEMEN 3 tour or is it back to sneakers? Sorry but this is the trite shite we are reduced to discussing untill the new SPECTRUM album is finally realeased.
porkchop
Known user

sonic in nyc

Post by porkchop »

i've seen sonic with the band and without. the songs the spaceman... tour was great though by the last date it was just him and his keyboard/guitar.
the data rape gigs were interesting to those who are into it. i can see why some aren't. byhimself is kinda like watching live demos but that can be cool too