Drums - programming etc

Show off and geek out!

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

radioshack
Known user

Drums - programming etc

Post by radioshack »

Anyone got any ideas/hints/suggestions on a easy to use, simple (preferrably free) and Audacity compatible way to program drums? VST plugins, kaoss pad type samplers, anything like that?

I'm trying to record some drums, or a pattern about 88bpm, 3/4 time. I don't have any really drum plugins, and don't know where to begin. Anyone got any recommendations before I crack? How do you guys go about recording drums?

Thanks!
toomilk
Known user

Re: Drums - programming etc

Post by toomilk »

Back in the day, I used a free program call Fruity Loops. Not sure if it is still around, but it was pretty easy to use (click on dots representing time to trigger an effect). You could use their set drum sounds, or import your own. I was a big fan of break-beat drummer Fuzz Townshend at the time and found some samples he posted online of different drum hits and fills, so I used those. Wild stuff.

But yeah, like I said, I don't know if it's still around. Maybe someone here would know...
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/88_bpm

free ta sign up.
relatively cheap if you only need a few loops.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

toomilk wrote:Back in the day, I used a free program call Fruity Loops. Not sure if it is still around, but it was pretty easy to use (click on dots representing time to trigger an effect). You could use their set drum sounds, or import your own. I was a big fan of break-beat drummer Fuzz Townshend at the time and found some samples he posted online of different drum hits and fills, so I used those. Wild stuff.

But yeah, like I said, I don't know if it's still around. Maybe someone here would know...
FL studio (as it´s called now) is still around.. not free though

i dont like FL or ableton - the two big ones aimed especially towards "dance/electronica"
but i play my beats instead of programming them so thats probably why?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"