Homemade Tremolo Pedal

Show off and geek out!

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Homemade Tremolo Pedal

Postby Hofstadter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:08 am

Yo this is my first pedal I've made from scratch (well not totally 'cause I didn't etch the PCB myself, but whatever, I think that's okay for my first time). What should I put on the enclosure?

http://i.imgur.com/ERGxH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mm0U7.jpg

[sorry when I embedded them a lot of the image got cut off]
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: Homemade Tremolo Pedal

Postby marcvolta » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Looks great Hof. Ive been making pedals for about a year now, and it is great fun! I usually leave all of mine in plain silver enclosures.

Is that a BYOC build?
marcvolta
Known user

Postby Hofstadter » Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks, and yeah it's . Figured I would start with some guidance. I actually am just building a theremin right now! Next pedal I am going to try to build completely from scratch.

The etching process doesn't seem too bad at all (I might even just perfboard it), it's the enclosure that seems like it will be the only really challenging part, since I don't have easy access to a drill (oh and I guess also drilling the pcb...). I have a friend who does a lot of woodworking maybe help me out, hopefully he has the materials. I haven't decided if I will just do it in a electrical junction box or actually order a hammond. I'd really appreciate whatever advice you have about this/if you would share any tips/tricks/lessons you have learned!
Hofstadter
Known user

Postby mojo filters » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 am

Love the look of your trem pedal - looks like the small MXRs (eg Phase 90s) without graphics...cool and anonymous!

For drilling plastics such as pcb's, and also turret boards and suchlike, I find a handdrill with a fine bit works well.

I've often been tempted to get a BYOC kit, but resisted as I anticipate it'll get half done then end up in the garage/loft/other place my half-finished good ideas end up :(

Assuming a BYOC kit includes all necessary finished pcb's, drilled case and components, how long would you say these things take to build? (assuming decent soldering skills etc.)

Thanks, and good luck with the theremin.
"So do you get to wear laminate?"
"Yeah, I mean it makes me feel a little self-conscious but, you know, you sort have to, you know, get into certain shows."
"Oh my god, that's so cool!" (Mark Kozelek)
mojo filters
Known user

Postby Hofstadter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 am

I just sat down and did the whole thing in about 4 hours or so. I actually did it during Finals Week as a 'break' from studying (but really more of a fun way to procrastinate). The only thing that was difficult was wiring the foot switch. If you have a free Saturday or something you could knock it out easy. Obviously the length of time will depend partly on how complicated the effect is, but it still won't change that much I would guess.

Edit: Really the part that would take a lot of time would be putting a design on the enclosure. You can really spend quite a while on that.
Hofstadter
Known user

Return to Instruments