SYNTHY

Show off and geek out!

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hofstadter
Known user

SYNTHY

Post by Hofstadter »

would like to see other people's synthesizer set ups!

I've only just gotten started really, but it has been amazing. I've lost myself in this stuff this summer and only want to go further down the rabbit hole. Soo expensive though. Right now, my setup is pretty simple - dotcom modular (a couple of vcfs and egs, 1 vcf, 1 vca, 1 mixer, 1 multiples, 1 midi->cv), critter and guitari pocket piano, old random digital keyboard (but I am not moving that cross country), digitech digidelay (considering getting an re 20 space echo - the pedal version - anybody have any input?)

the main module I really want to get is a sequencer: http://www.synthesizers.com/q119.html can't decide if I want to try to save up for that or get a 4 track recorder or something like that so I can actually record myself!

Check it out! Hope you can see it okay!
Attachments
WP_20130731_003.jpg
WP_20130731_003.jpg (267.1 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: SYNTHY

Post by TheWarmth »

If you are considering a Space Echo, you might look into the real deal (RE-301 is the model I like), rather than the pedal version. It'd be more expensive, but in the long run, you'd probably be happier.

I have no plans to dip my toe into modular synths, but I have three stand alone units that I love:

Moog Voyager (see photo)
Korg Delta (see photo)
Univox MiniKorg

My buddy, Bill, has a Moog Prodigy that I have access to and it sounds amazing.
Attachments
Voyager.JPG
Voyager.JPG (159.6 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
Korg Delta.JPG
Korg Delta.JPG (207.04 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Ah the voyager is so cool!

Yeah I actually did not know until just now that there were any models other than the 201 for the real unit! Very cool, reading about the 301 and 501 right now. I think in the end, although I would love to eventually have a real space echo, I'll probably end up going for the twin pedal version just for the financial/troubleshooting savings. Music gear makes me want to find multiple jobs to be working at school so I can save up.....
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I've got the RE 201 space echo pedal. I use it for guitar, and maybe it's just me but I'm not crazy about it. I find it a tad 'clunky', I guess. It feels kind of noisy and like the dials aren't really delicate enough to allow you to really differentiate between the change in sound as you're turning them. If that makes sense? Are the original units like this?

The second pedal on the right is a fun gimmick, but I dunno as a pedal I don't think it's amazing for the reverb, echo or delay sound. Might just be my personal taste. Not a particularly cheap pedal either.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I want to try one out before I use it. What got me really really interested in it was hearing that Hookworms use 3 of 'em live... maybe that's a bad reason to get into something but still :)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

re20s are great fun but as heisenberg pointed out, they colour the sound a lot (as did the originals they're modelled on). I reckon this is more of an issue with guitar tone than synths. it's important to use a good power supply or you can easily get a 60 hz space echo hum going on which is less cool than you'd think. my pedal has a habit of picking up all sorts of other noises (dimmer switches, fridges etc) which is pretty infuriating.

one more thing.. like most reverb pedals your choice of amp can also make a big difference. (and also whether the pedal is before the amp or in the effects loop.)

so yeah, i like this pedal because i love space echos in general, but i wish it had true bypass and a variable dry/wet setting rather than just one or the other. oh yeah, the reverb itself is dark and muddy so if you try it perhaps ignore turn off that and just experiment with the repeats. up to you, but that's how it use it most of the time. most recently i used this in conjunction with another reverb pedal and got a sort of cosmic reggae effect. i'm sure you'll have fun with it even if you decide it's not worth actually buying.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm kind of a pedal freak (snob, if you'd prefer). I won't use anything digital. However, I also wouldn't use a real Space Echo live simply due to unreliability and the fact that they're so fragile. Unfortunately, true analog delay pedals are expensive, but I think they're also worth the extra money and make a huge sonic difference, especially on recordings. The Diamond Memory Lane is a wonderful analog delay. If you can get your hands on a Toneczar Echoczar, that's the cream of the crop, but it's going to cost you a pretty penny. Vintage Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe pedals are great, too.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

On the topic of analog stuff, I just added a tascam 414 four track to the mix, which has been pretty exciting to really be able to use for recording stuff. I have a whole mini studio set up in my dorm (I got a single!!! sikkkk) now, so everything is perfect. Maybe I will post some demo's soon... they are weird and not totally what I would be setting out to create, but hey that's all pat of the process right? Experimenting, fucking around, seeing what sounds come out... I have a friend's space echo pedal on loan for a while right now, seeing if I like it or not.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

holy shit! just found out harvard has a buchla and serge setup....

http://huseac.fas.harvard.edu/Facilities/

taking a class on electroacoustic composition in there next semester. so stoked.