Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Show off and geek out!

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Post by MODLAB »

Have fun!

I'm looking forward to many nice pictures of cool equipment.

Best,

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Post by TheWarmth »

Wah, you say? Here's my custom D*A*M/Colorsound wah, which is one of my prize pieces. I bought this off of ebay and shipped it to David Main for an overhaul. He basically gutted it and started from scratch. It's now a fuzz-wah. The controls on the side are as follows:

1. Selects fuzz-only, wah-only or fuzz and wah together
2. Volume control for the fuzz

The fuzz circuit is basically a D*A*M Meathead.

They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Fuck me that is lovely! If you ever wanna sell it you know where to come big guy :)

I'll get some pix up soon when I get a mo...show off the new rig n all that :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's another very interesting piece I acquired recently. These photos were taken by the builder, Fausto, who is based in Spain. It's basically a Marshall Plexi preamp and a Laney Klipp distortion circuit in the form of a pedal. It's tube driven with it's own transformer. Pretty hardcore. Tony Iommi famously got his Sabbath tones with the Laney Klipp. It's a pretty heavy sound, sustains for days and doesn't feedback! Sounds freaking killer through my Matchless HC-30.

They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Tasty stuff indeed. You've a bigger budget than me mate :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They Transmit wrote:Tasty stuff indeed. You've a bigger budget than me mate :)
I don't know, Neil, you've got some pretty sweet guitars and a crazy pedalboard.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I rob banks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It might be easier to go straight to the source and just rob the guitar shop. I can't imagine that Macari's has an amazing security system.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

:D But they are fast runners lol
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Family snapshot of everything from recording sessions in May.

dorfmeister
Known user

Post by dorfmeister »

Chicago Iron Parachute Wah

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'm really happy that people are using this section. Please people post more!

Best,

M
Design.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

This is my rig !
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

70's Carlsbro Flanger rehoused by Basic Audio:

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Muscles wrote:Image

This is my rig !
Nice. I like that. It's pink! :D I thought about getting a Stratocaster myself, but I never seem to have enough money for that. But then again, I spend money buying books... I think I'd need to save for a couple of months. Or a year. For the guitar at least. I might need an amplifier though. ^^ My best friend has a really bad e-guitar one and one for her bass. I'll see...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

yes...that guitar is amazing.
but not expensive.
i think i paid 100 Q fer it.
yo.
check out guitar center website.
you can get one fer nuffin .
sweetness_.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

TheWarmth wrote:Here's another very interesting piece I acquired recently. These photos were taken by the builder, Fausto, who is based in Spain. It's basically a Marshall Plexi preamp and a Laney Klipp distortion circuit in the form of a pedal. It's tube driven with it's own transformer. Pretty hardcore. Tony Iommi famously got his Sabbath tones with the Laney Klipp. It's a pretty heavy sound, sustains for days and doesn't feedback! Sounds freaking killer through my Matchless HC-30.

Some trivia; Tony Iommi once drew me a diagram of the Laney amp he'd co-designed (when I was an assistant engineer on one of Black Sabbaths mixing session). He REALLY knew his stuff.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Hallo Sunny ! where ya been ?
don't think you ever told me that story !
saw BLACK SABBATH at PINE KNOB in MICHIGAN !
was fucking genius !
some chick I was hanging with got tickets from Insane Clown Posse !
we hung out with GEEZER BUTLERS son ! lol !
we were meant to meet OZZY !
things went south when she slept with the soundman !
lol !
very sad because I brought a vinyl for Black Sabbath to sign !
lol. she fell down the hill i remember ! haha ! good times !
we were very very drunk !
SWEET LEAF ! haha ! Ozzy is a funny man !
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Current pedalboard setup. Telecaster, Jaguar or Epi semi-acoustic into this into a Marshall amp with slight reverb. Sounds sweet.
Attachments
pedal.jpg
pedal.jpg (61.76 KiB) Viewed 29937 times
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

heisenberg wrote:Current pedalboard setup. Telecaster, Jaguar or Epi semi-acoustic into this into a Marshall amp with slight reverb. Sounds sweet.
that looks awesome!! i can't quite see what the smaller pedals are though (one's a digital delay, right?). what do you use to power them all? any chance you could record something so we can hear it in action? i'm sure i'm not the only person who would be interested..
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

moop wrote:
heisenberg wrote:Current pedalboard setup. Telecaster, Jaguar or Epi semi-acoustic into this into a Marshall amp with slight reverb. Sounds sweet.
that looks awesome!! i can't quite see what the smaller pedals are though (one's a digital delay, right?). what do you use to power them all? any chance you could record something so we can hear it in action? i'm sure i'm not the only person who would be interested..
Hey moop. Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it!

The pedal on the bottom left is a cheapy Berhinger noise reduction pedal, which just about does the job. Next to that is a Boss DD-6. Next to that is a Marshall Guv'nor. Top far right is a brilliant tuner called a TC Electronic Polytune. Next to that on the left is a small stone phaser. And yup, that Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom Pedal is bang in the middle. I love using that to wrap up a huge freakout jam and ending which that huge 'repeater' noise (distorted to hell) flying around the room, then gradually slowing it down until the feedback is insane, before killing the sound. So much fun! I'd 100% recommend the Sonic Boom to anyone on this board, as in addition to the 'repeater' it also has a very good distortion built in as well. Definitely feel like I got what I paid for there. I imagine the rest are easy to identify.

I've been trying to build my ideal pedal board for years, and feel this finally might just be it. I think I may be looking to try replace the Boss space echo at the top left, as it isn't quite doing it for me. Any recommendations on good reverb or echo pedals?

The whole thing is mostly powered off a dunlop DC brick, which I managed to procure from ebay for a very reasonable price. Some of the pedals are still powered individually though - the Digitech whammy and either the Sonic Boom and the MXR tremolo (best tremolo I've played that wasn't a custom. Expensive but very, very good). So I have three plugs running out of this badboy.

Perhaps you can help me. I have been trying to record my electric guitar of late, and have been seriously dissatisfied with the sound. I've tried using different mics (condenser Rode NT2-A and dynamic Shure 58) but the recorded sound always seems really rough and trashy but not in a good way. Any ideas on mic positioning, levels etc...? Again, I'm using a guitar into this pedalboard into a good 50fx Marshall Amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can get a sound I will pass on a sample of the gear in action.

Thanks.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

heisenberg wrote:I've been trying to build my ideal pedal board for years, and feel this finally might just be it. I think I may be looking to try replace the Boss space echo at the top left, as it isn't quite doing it for me. Any recommendations on good reverb or echo pedals?

The whole thing is mostly powered off a dunlop DC brick, which I managed to procure from ebay for a very reasonable price. Some of the pedals are still powered individually though - the Digitech whammy and either the Sonic Boom and the MXR tremolo (best tremolo I've played that wasn't a custom. Expensive but very, very good). So I have three plugs running out of this badboy.

Perhaps you can help me. I have been trying to record my electric guitar of late, and have been seriously dissatisfied with the sound. I've tried using different mics (condenser Rode NT2-A and dynamic Shure 58) but the recorded sound always seems really rough and trashy but not in a good way. Any ideas on mic positioning, levels etc...? Again, I'm using a guitar into this pedalboard into a good 50fx Marshall Amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can get a sound I will pass on a sample of the gear in action.

Thanks.
Haha, I'm probably one of the least qualified people on this board to answer your questions about recording/mic placement etc. What are the mics running into though? I'm sure the problem isn't the amp (since it sounds fine to you) or the mic (since SM58s are designed to withstand huuuge volumes). So i guess a 'trashy' sound could be an indication of a poor pre-amp or recording mix? It's hard for me to say, but hopefully someone wiser than me could explain. I found in my own experience that I have to play with extremely loud volumes to get a good recording from amp->mic. I'm not sure if that's normal though..

I guess you could always use an amp's line-out as a way of testing things and doing a basic recording..

if you don't like the space echo, maybe try the electro harmonix cathedral? very different pedal but it's pretty awesome. I would suggest the DD-20, but you already have the DD6.. i guess it depends what you want a pedal in that spot to do.

and yes, i'm extremely jealous of the sonic boom pedal.. it looks and sounds amazing from what you/others have described. but then again, so does your tremolo, whammy-wah etc etc... :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

heisenberg wrote:Perhaps you can help me. I have been trying to record my electric guitar of late, and have been seriously dissatisfied with the sound. I've tried using different mics (condenser Rode NT2-A and dynamic Shure 58) but the recorded sound always seems really rough and trashy but not in a good way. Any ideas on mic positioning, levels etc...? Again, I'm using a guitar into this pedalboard into a good 50fx Marshall Amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can get a sound I will pass on a sample of the gear in action.
What are you recording onto? Garageband, Pro Tools ... something else? Rode makes great mics. I use an NTK myself for guitar and vocals. I doubt the issue is with your microphone. When you say "rough and trashy" do you mean the signal itself is distorted?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

TheWarmth wrote:
heisenberg wrote:Perhaps you can help me. I have been trying to record my electric guitar of late, and have been seriously dissatisfied with the sound. I've tried using different mics (condenser Rode NT2-A and dynamic Shure 58) but the recorded sound always seems really rough and trashy but not in a good way. Any ideas on mic positioning, levels etc...? Again, I'm using a guitar into this pedalboard into a good 50fx Marshall Amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course, if I can get a sound I will pass on a sample of the gear in action.
What are you recording onto? Garageband, Pro Tools ... something else? Rode makes great mics. I use an NTK myself for guitar and vocals. I doubt the issue is with your microphone. When you say "rough and trashy" do you mean the signal itself is distorted?
I'm recording onto audacity.

"rough and trashy" perhaps wasn't the best description :lol: I guess the recordings just don't have the clarity of the sound I'm hearing when I play the guitar through the amp. By the time I listen back to the recording, it just feels like it's missing that bite, or something's not quite there. It sounds almost muddy. Having read this back to myself, I guess this means the problem may lie with the pre-amp or settings in audacity?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

so you're using your computer's built in sound card? unless it's a particularly good one this might well be the bottleneck in your setup..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, it's probably your soundcard, Audacity or a combination of both. I use Audacity to transfer vinyl to mp3, but I don't know how well it performs otherwise. A lot of people these days record on their iPads using Garageband (or whatever the built-in software it comes with is called) and get pretty decent results. I use Nuendo for The Warmth. Of course, your best option is to go into a studio and lay it down on 2" tape!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

your other 'best option' is to buy an audio interface, which would give you good quality audio in/outs and also acts as a (pretty good) soundcard. this would be perfect for doing home recordings. maybe also try this instead of audacity: http://www.reaper.fm/
i've never used it myself, but heard good things. and it's free, so worth a try!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Its seems repear isn't free :s Or am I such a luddite I can't work it out? Likely the latter.

Speaking of audio interfaces, can someone recommend a decent one that will not break the bank? All I use currently is a M-Audio fairly cheap pre-amp and some average VSTs.

Ta.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

heisenberg wrote:Its seems repear isn't free :s Or am I such a luddite I can't work it out? Likely the latter.

Speaking of audio interfaces, can someone recommend a decent one that will not break the bank? All I use currently is a M-Audio fairly cheap pre-amp and some average VSTs.

Ta.
sent you a PM.
not sure on recommending an interface, though the m-audio ones should be ace