Sonic Starstreamer..

Show off and geek out!

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

marcvolta
Known user

Sonic Starstreamer..

Post by marcvolta »

Heyo

i thought i read somewhere a while ago that Sonic was going to have some pedals made up... did this ever happen??

i saw a pic of his "Sonic Starstreamer" in the Spectrum Gigs topic. anyone know what it does???? it has 3 foot switches and some knobs.

i dont know what it does, but i want one. that is weird.
davew
Known user

Re: Sonic Starstreamer..

Post by davew »

From this 2005 interview http://www.losingtoday.com/features.php ... nd_alpha=s

"I've also been working on the final prototype of my effects pedal, a remake with extra features of the treble/bass booster, fuzztone, & repeat percussion that I use on my VOX guitar - the pedal is called the SONIC STARSTREAMER. "

Looks like they might have given up on it slightly as the info page that used to be at http://www.new-atlantis.info/ isn't there anymore.......hardly surprising, there would be a lot of work involved to make multiple units of such an effect.......and demand would certainly outstrip supply :D
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

FWIW, the RonSound Trem-O-Matic pedal is a dead-on accurate version of the Vox repeater circuit. I've compared it to the repeater in my Vox Cheetah and it's identical.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've got one of those RonSound Trem-O-Matics, too. I recently saw a photo (probably from a link someone posted here) that showed Sonic's custom "Sonic Boom Starstreamer" pedal. I guess they never went into production. I'd be interested in one, though.
townhag
New user

Post by townhag »

Any updates on this pedal at all. I am surprised doesn't just move ahead with this project with a homemade pedal maker
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

look in the spacemen 3 section for the sonic boom acid fuzz pedal
Ringo
New user

Post by Ringo »

Finally bothered to re-register for the site after years of viewing as a guest, anyway......

As a long time lover and collector of Vox guitars, this has just popped up on eBay which will get your juices flowing;

eBay number 200887537810

Seems like it does exist after all! Looks tasty aswell (and no, I'm not the seller!) it's a bit too rich for my blood
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thats sounds like the holy grail of pedals!!!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The 1965 Sola Sound MKI Tonebender is generally regarded as the holy grail of pedals. If one were to pop up for sale today, I'd say it'd go for $5,000 or more. I think they generally change hands privately due to the relatively small number of collectors who can actually afford them.

Here's a good article written by David Main, who is arguably the most well-respected and talented fuzz box builder today.

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/History.html

Excerpt:

The UK fuzz box phenomenon began in 1965 when electronics engineer Gary Stewart Hurst designed an effects pedal called a Tone Bender. The first version of this Tone Bender is referred to as the Tone Bender MKI. The MKI was a three transistor circuit that was based upon the Gibson built Maestro Fuzz-tone that was modified by Hurst to produce more sustain than its American counter part. The story goes that guitar legend Vic Flick, the man responsible for the James Bond Theme, brought a Fuzz-tone (FZ-1) to Hurst and requested the sustain to be increased. The Tone Bender was one the first ever British made Fuzz box available to the public and sold for 14 guineas. It was housed in a folded steel chassis and finished in gold & black Hammerite paint with some of the very early units housed in a wooden and steel enclosure.
Ringo
New user

Post by Ringo »

Good article, thanks for the link - I've seen those Marshall's go for quite a few quid

I've got an Fy-1 shin-ei wedge, badged up as a kimbara (hitch is common with many Japanese instruments, multi badging), sounds like an absolute beast of a chainsaw.

Also in the 'collection' is a series 2 Big Muff, this was bought for my other half by a friend when Mudhoney's SuperfuzzBigmuff came out. A great pedal in its own right but after all (as she keeps reminding me as she wants to sell it) it is, 'my wife's big muff' (ba dum tish) :D