Euro Cup 2021

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Euro Cup 2021

Post by spacemanrich »

Excited about tomorrow's night opening match. No particular order or preference, but I like Belgium, England and France chances on winning it.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Euro Cup 2021

Post by runcible »

It's been interesting a week in. A few decent games although I've seen nothing really outstanding so far though. As a Leeds fan I was obviously delighted to see our man Kalvin Phillips play so well for England, but we have a few guys across the board in this competition. From what I've seen so far France look very good although Germany started well in that game. Belgium also pretty decent, moments of Holland, but Italy are probably the best right now.

Some things I've picked up on. The first is that standard of refereeing seems miles superior to much of what I saw in the Premier League last season - lots of advantage played, more open play and referees less fooled by non-fouls. VAR also seems much better with decisions made quicker and less time wasted. The big negative is all the play acting. Players are writhing about with every challenge. I thought that was phasing out but this is worse than it was 25 or so years ago. I also realise how much better football is with supporters in stadiums, but that's an obvious one!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fairly nailed it so far there Runci! I've barely noticed the refs or VAR, which goes to show the state of things in the Premier League.

I am taking my usual position of 'Anyone but Italy'. I've always hated them. It probably stems from them knocking Brazil out of the '82 World Cup but over the years i've always found their cynicism, defensive tactics and general play acting an absolute drag. I realise they haven't always been defensive in that time but i also used to find Italian football on Channel 4 a total snoozefest, and i've never shaken that feeling.

Am i alone in thinking the Swedish national anthem has a section that resembles Feel Like Goin' Home? :lol:
Transcendental Cosmic Fuck-rock played by Superfit amphetamine Visionary Poet-druids
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

In the aftermath of the Christian Erikson horror incident you`d think the play actors would have had a word with themselves, poor stuff tbh.
Amazing that Hungary has managed to allow full capacity attendances, that`s great :roll:
yes Italy looking the best so far but its early days,
Full of trepidation for tonight`s England v Scotland game, one of those games where so much is at stake for us it would be ludicrous to say you actually enjoyed it, my nerves will be in tatters, bring it on :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm with Sunray, anyone but Italia. I, also can't stand Brazil ( over-rated ). Geez, beating Turkey and Switzerland doesn't warrant any excitement from me. Wait until the competition heats up in the knockout stages ...