Kids these days....

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Kids these days....

Post by spzretent »

I am sitting in my shop today and around 7pm the door opens a crack and this 20 something yells "You guys aren't hiring are you"? And this go getter is dressed in extremely baggy sweats and shower shoes. And the door shut before I could say no.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Re: Kids these days....

Post by Laz69 »

<puts on slippers, lights pipe, sits back in favourite comfy chair...>

Back in my day, etc, etc....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

In our shop yesterday a group of uniformed school kids banged on the side window and kept shouting 'oi you - come to the window' again and again. Attention spans being what they are in such creatures caused them to get bored after about 5 cycles of this mantra and off they went.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:In our shop yesterday a group of uniformed school kids banged on the side window and kept shouting 'oi you - come to the window' again and again. Attention spans being what they are in such creatures caused them to get bored after about 5 cycles of this mantra and off they went.
The lovable scamps :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...jumpers for goalposts. :P
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

you've seen high fidelity right?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I needed a fellow to help my gardener inventory what was on hand and what was needed. Not so difficult, right?

He is married, with a new baby, so I gave this kid the job. He had great difficulty in helping with the inventory, however.

I foolishly forgot to ask if he could read and write. He can't. He's gone; what a damn terrible shame.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Back when I had my record shop I hired one of my customers.
One day we got in a large order and would keep overstock behind the counter.
I asked him to put the overstock away alphabetically.
A few days later I was looking for something and everything was completely mis-filed.
When he came in I loudly asked What are you dyslexic?
The reply was yes. :oops: The emoticon is exactly as my face appeared after that. But truthfully he should have told me about his situation/disability/whatever it is.
He was a good kid so I kept him on and never gave him anything to do with having to spell.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I knew it! I knew by the patient manner in which you dealt with the "canine problem" that you must have a good heart.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here is todays installment.
One of our Gizmo employees took a few weeks off for a wedding and Bonnaroo.
The one filling in also bartends. Her shift at Gizmo is 12 noon to 2:30pm.
I get a call this morning asking if I can come in 1 1/2 hours early at 1:00pm. Notice anything crazy about this?
She works for us, not the other way around. She asked if it was an imposition which I said yes. Absolutely. Yet she didn't offer up any other option.
So she had a 1 hour shift. I showed up at 1:00pm. I opened the door and there was dead silence(no music which is a big fat no no in a shop that sells music), the heat was blasting(it is late spring and 70 outside), and she was fast asleep.
Not the happy ending of the other story. I asked for her key and told she was done.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

not sure it hit 70 today, at least not where i was :) funny story!
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Actually it's 'adults these days' which I worry about as much.

Last night while delivering some wine I drove down a quiet street and a large black VW roared out of a side street, ignoring the Give Way signs, and almost crashed into me. I had to do an emergency stop and paused for a second and looked at this car. The rather large male driver erupted - banging on the windows, flicking v-signs, rolling down his window letting forth a loud stream of furious abuse before waving me forward. As I only had to drop my delivery off at the end of the street I knew I had to stop - somewhat nervously - and let this guy go past me. Somewhat shaken I drove on, parked up and Mr. Angry stopped briefly to yell and shout more obscenities and throw more hand gestures before screeching off. I haven't encountered aggression like that for a while and it was horrible. I'm not good at that kind of confrontation - I'd make the world's worst bouncer - so felt a little edgy that the bloke would actually get out of his car and hit me such was his intense fury.

Why is it drivers get so angry when they are in the wrong?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

These types of drivers live in their own little world. The best we can do it stay in ours and let karma work itself out.

Did the invention of driving bring on the self-centered person or did the self-center person exist before there was such a thing as driving? The world may never know...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Driving does bring out the worst in people. Of course their time is more valuable than yours. There they get pissed off at anything that gets in their way.
I saw karma work just perfectly.
While driving around here I was on my cell/mobile phone and was being mocked by these teenagers in the next lane. All for the crime of getting directions from my phone. The were hurling abuse at me, trying to spit at my car, which is tough while moving, flipping me off. And the driver was involved. So I switched over to the right lane to get away from them. Then the driver swithched over too not realizing the cars in the lane I swithched from was at a dead stop. Oops! She never hit the brakes and rear ended the car in front of her. I hope no one was hurt. They weren't going fast enough I dont think but I did watch her front end crumble like an accordion. I just continued down the road. It still chuckle when I relive that moment.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spzretent wrote:Not sure what the temp hit here but the heat didn't need to blasting.
Funny? Not from where I was standing. It was kind of sad.
Easiest termination ever!
Now I get rambling, nonsensical, psychotic emails letting me know the only response acceptable is an apology from me. Do you believe this shit?
I am so sorry I worked you too hard. I know your having to be in at NOON is tough. I should have known better. My bad.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

What a slave driver you are! Do you honestly expect this little youth to BE THERE at NOON! Perhaps Oz hours are what was in mind.."we get up at 12 and start to work at 1, take an hour for lunch and then at 2 we're done - jolly good fun!

Pitiful. I am increasingly distressed by the apparent laziness of the young and how this feeling makes me begin to see a mental picture of myself sitting in a rocker yelling "hey you kids get outta my yard"........

I suppose the only way someone, anyone has a true drive to be where the work is relies on an absolute need for the wage, or to love what they do. Not being a morning person myself, I usually went to the laboratories at 5:00pm, and left at around noon the next day. If I stayed for 24 hours or longer, I would take an extra 5 hours break and begin again. The difference was and is I love what I do. I design and synthesize new molecules. Nowadays, for me, it is purely theoretical, I merely send in the ideas and methods devised and let someone else do the actual manipulations; but I think about projects all the time.

I taught Advanced Organic Synthesis at university for many years. With each new year the decline of the quality and work habits of the students was less than the preceding year EXCEPT for the last year I taught. Hopefully that was a sign of things to come. But I don't think so. Decline is a choice being thrust upon us from many directions with purposeful intent.

Why do anything if you can become a parasite? "Spreading the Wealth Around" is just the ticket for devout parasitism.
Paracelsus
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

semisynthetic wrote:.

Why do anything if you can become a parasite? "Spreading the Wealth Around" is just the ticket for devout parasitism.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

bunnyben wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This particular response is not exactly a convincing retort.....
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"One bad apple won't spoil the WHOLE....BUNCH...GIRL!!!!"

"Give me ONE MORE CHANCE before you GIVE UP ON LUUUUUUVVVVVV!!!"
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

........ are often someone to be proud of and rewarded;

I found out that a 15 year old kid was cutting the lawn of a lady I know of who retired because of a severe illness, and he had been cutting it all summer every week without charging her, and has been doing the same for several other people in similar situations. His family is very poor and very independent, and like everyone, they have their own troubles. He mows the lawns to help put food on the table, and his mower was trashed and only had 3 wheels.

(He now has a NEW mower and 20 gallons of gas).
He was told that he won the mower when the local general store, (yes, there are still general stores,) delivered it this afternoon as he returned home from working to eat lunch. He won it alright, but it seems that someone (allegedly) forged his signature on a slip of paper, according to him, but he HAD to accept his prize or cause trouble for the delivery guy who just happens to own the store; it is OK, nothing too dishonest, mainly because, of course, there wasn't any mower to win! :D The store owner and several people in it have asked him if he could possibly take care of their lawns, at $20-$30 a week. Just a lucky kid to be proud of and receive a little reward for doing good deeds; a kid who would have refused any sort of direct charity, but instead has instilled in him the kind of work ethic and good character that will help him in the long run.
Paracelsus