Basketball

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

Basketball

Post by redcloud »

With the NCAA tourney soon upon us we will have to start talking brackets again.

In the meantime, I was at this game last night...awesome moment by Brandon Roy to tie the game and send it to overtime, (Portland won in OT 107-106).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3joFlclNz0

20,000+ fans were dancing in the aisles (watch the arena camera view at about 56 sec mark). More importantly though was that Roy has missed 30 games this season due to knee surgery and only just came back in the previous game. Great to see him do his stuff again and with so many narcissistic, ego maniacs in pro sports these days he is one of the more humble, better guys. With all of the injuries Portland has dealt with the past 3-4 years, I honestly cannot see how Nate McMillian isn't a shoe-in for coach of the year (especially if Portland get to the playoffs again).
Alex English
Known user

Re: Basketball

Post by Alex English »

This sums up my current relationship with the NBA pretty nicely: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6150136

I am looking forward to the tournament though and CU just might get in for the first time since 2003 with their big win over Texas yesterday.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I feel for you Alex...I think Carmelo leaving was good for Denver but Chauncey was a huge blow. What a shame as he is a class act, the glue of the team and he wanted so much to end his career in Denver.

Portland just acquired Gerald Wallace from Charlotte. In return we sent them a couple decent players but to the Charlotte fans all they see is their star was traded for a couple bench players. People in Portland are celebrating Wallace's addition to our team while fans in Charlotte are cursing Michael Jordan and left scratching their heads. Thankfully, since the demise of the "Jailblazers" the current team has been void of serious egomaniacs, which makes them a very likable team in the NBA. Long may it continue.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

How would you guys like to be a Pistons fan?
The put the "D" in Dysfunctional.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yea, Richard Hamilton isn't a particularly good example for the younger guys on the squad. If the coach is going to maintain control he will have to convince the GM and owner to cut ties with Hamilton. Or maybe the coach needs to go (or both)?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This coach is terrible, the players hate him. The team is screwed until they are sold.
I always was very much a bandwagon NBA fan.
Right now, i'm off the bandwagon.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

After losing 7 of the last 10 games and being completely torched by the NY Knicks last night (lost by 42), Portland today fired their coach, traded two of its major players (Gerald Wallace and Marcus Camby) and cut #1 draft pick and total bust, Greg Oden. Word has it that at least two more players will be cut before its all over. Clearly the front office is looking towards the future with eyes on totally rebuilding this team.

And here I was thinking these problems were isolated with Cleveland. My life as a sports fan is really hard. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Portland may be young and not have the deepest bench in the NBA but their front five are hanging tough. Last night's game against the defending champs, Miami Heat, was GREAT! One of the best fourth quarters I've seen them play in a long time. Very exciting. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Portland vs Houston series was absolutely ace. Brilliant series all round. Teams evenly matched, scores flip flopping, leads, overtime, nail biter finishes. Career performances for Lamarcus Aldridge. You couldn't ask for more. Last night's game 6 in Portland was more of the same. Typical that in such a tight series that it would come down to a final shot with less than a second left. I don't usually moan about refs but at times it did feel they were biased towards Houston. So, when the refs made a bizarre call in last couple seconds that allowed Houston to score with one second left I was frustrated. Voicing my cynicism that the NBA would probably prefer two Texan teams in round 2 as it is a larger market than Oregon. With 9/10 of a second left one can never count a team out. Especially when you have Damian Lillard. What a shot...a thing of beauty! Amazing finish and great way to end a brilliant series. Bring on round 2!!

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Damion Lilliard's jersey # is 0 - representing Oaktown, the 510.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Damion Lilliard's jersey # is 0 - representing Oaktown, the 510.
Yep. Proud Oakland boy. He also played for Weber State who are in Big Sky Conference and we saw him destroy Portland State as a college kid. Love that he is a Blazer. It helps make up for the Blazers passing on Jordan and Durant!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No wonder he's so good, he's powered by Adidas - the best sports apparel company in the world. Huh, he's playing in Portland and endorsed by Adidas ( one of the largest shoe contracts after D.Rose ) in front of Nike. :P
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:No wonder he's so good, he's powered by Adidas - the best sports apparel company in the world. Huh, he's playing in Portland and endorsed by Adidas ( one of the largest shoe contracts after D.Rose ) in front of Nike. :P
Adidas' North American HQ is also in Portland. I know you're a big European soccer fan but lets be real...Lillard's endorsements are no different than star soccer players in Europe. They too are powered by equally huge endorsements. That is the world of professional sports.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The city of Portland and the Blazers are falling back to earth...fast! This San Antonio series is like boys vs men. A true schooling by a better team. I've been saying all season the Blazers need to improve on defense if they are to go deep into playoffs. Ducks, Broncos, Patriots, Eagles...all offensive machines but with little defense and it could only lead them so far. Still, Portland have exceeded most of our expectations this season so on that alone, it's been a great success with a lot to build on for next season.