Baseball

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

Re: Baseball

Post by redcloud »

Bored with the NBA. Very much looking forward to baseball. I think the Indians youth, if they stay healthy, could surprise.

I was just looking at the Mariners schedule and will try and get up to Seattle to see a couple games. At the very least, Cleveland are over in April and again in August.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There is a local broadcast tonight where the sportscaster interviews all the coaches and a few of the stars of our local sports teams.
First interview Prince Fielder. This guy is so chilled and humbled to be playing in Detroit. I never really knew what he was like outside of some highlights.
Next Justin Verlander. No more needs to be said.
Now they have 2 superstars that the fans here can indentify with. A lot of the team is hispanic and never really bothered working on their english. Miguel Cabrera in particular. Which makes it difficult for fans in a midwestern town.
For some ridiculous reason the fans here latched onto Brandon Inge. The most polarizing athlete in Detroit. The guy hit .196 last year. Hopefully they cut him in spring training so we dont have to hear about him anymore. The cougars who show up at games will be pissed off.
I cannot wait until baseball starts. I didn't think it was possible to get more excited.
Maybe Michigan State getting knocked out of the tournament helped.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: I cannot wait until baseball starts.
I'm excited too. I'm really bored of the NBA this season. The lockout totally turned me off and the season hasn't won me over. It doesn't help that they have had literally a game every other night and sometimes three in a row. It seems to be on all the time and the product isn't great (not just with Portland but even the good teams seem lack luster to me).

I am hopeful the Indians will be able to compete and the youth on the team might just surprise. Injuries have already hit our bullpen where we lost Perez and Carrasco. Sizemore too is injured, yet again. Dude is really soft. He's out until at least mid-May due to back surgery but I honestly can't see him coming back in full force this season. We will see.

I'm still hoping to get up to Seattle to see the Tribe play the M's. They are on this coast early in April and later in August.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

An embarrassing start for the Cubs, although Dempster was good.

I'm going to a Sox / Tigers game next weekend. My buddy got tickets ten rows behind the visiting team's dugout, so it should be fun.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I know its only 4 games in but the Tigers have turned this city on its head. Which is tough because this is usually the Red Wings time of year. 4-0 and none of their starters got a win. Verlander deserved one opening day but....
I love Prince Fielder in our line up. And people still walk Cabrera to get to him. Are they nuts?
So far it looks like we got back the 2010 version of Austin Jackson which should scare the hell out of the rest of the American League.
I'll check back after 40 games.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'll be very happy if Cleveland can finish a respectable 2nd in our division. They play the M's next week so it will give me my first opportunity to see them play (all of Seattle's games are televised down here). I'm definitely going up to Seattle in August to see them play the Indians when Cleveland come through again.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Great 5th inning for the Indians in Seattle....currently 8-8 in the 6th! :D

EDIT...Whew!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My son's Little League baseball team seemed to hit their stride and have come out of nowhere as a dark horse. At one point they were 6th in a 8 team division. However, they found their winning ways and started to cream several opponents. They quickly moved into fourth place and squeaked into the playoffs defeating every team that stood in their way and ultimately made it to the Championship.

Yesterday was the Championship and they got off to a storming start taking a quick 6-1 lead. But, halfway through the game the strange happened and it changed EVERYTHING. Sadly, it involved my son too.

My son plays the catcher (to the British on this board, think wicket keeper) and he is also a solid hitter so his team relies on him. Playing offense, he was on third base in a scoring position and the ball was out in the field. The coach sent him running (stealing) to home for the score. The opponent's catcher stood in front of the plate BLOCKING his path giving him little option but to collide (or slide) into home. As it was he ran into the boy and was then....red carded! Ejected for "malicious intent". Now, this play sometimes happens in baseball and I know I am biased but he had absolutely no intent to hurt the kid (who was fine) he just wanted to score for his team. What also bothers me is there was not even a warning he was just sent out of the game!

After that the momentum completely changed and we ended up losing 7-9. Once he calmed down we talked a lot about it last night and he is much more philosophical but he feels he let his team down and it is something he will remember forever.

As the number 2 team they get to play again tonight against another #2 seed and the winner gets to advance to the State tournament (thankfully he is able to play in today's game).

A teachable moment but somewhat of a shame as they had that team in panic mode and it seemed a sour note to end on.

Anybody else have a similar experience in sports when they were a kid?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I worried that yesterday's incident would affect my son's game but he came out and played brilliantly this evening. He had three great hits and a super tag out at home. If anything it fueled him to be top of his game. What a trooper! :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I always say baseball in August is very different than baseball in May or June.

Like clockwork....August kills Cleveland. It's hard to watch our season slip away. A week or two ago we were right there with Chicago (WS) and Detroit. Two very winnable series with the Twins and the Royals made me think we could be neck and neck maybe even leap frog to 2nd. Instead, we lose them all!

Ever since the MLB All Star Game we haven't been the same team. :cry:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:they looked terrible last night. I am going tonight. seems like the cost cutting has started already.
I like Manny Acta but I'm not sure how much longer he has there. We honestly seem to rely on the HR. If that doesn't happen we're paralyzed. Pitching is also clearly not our strength. And here I was thinking that when we got Jimenez he might be a serious weapon. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

On a night where we actually manage to score more than 3 runs and we allow it to slip away in the 9th.

Un-fucking-believable. :evil:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:10th.
We led the bottom of 9th off w/a triple and couldn't get the run in. Then you guys score 3 in top 10th. All 5 of our runs were scored w/2 outs. Here it is being described as a win you see maybe every 10 years. In Cleveland they are saying its simply the end of their season.
What a difference 200 miles makes.
That's even worse. I just saw the final score.

The spiral towards the end of our season began in Minneapolis then led to Kansas City and now Detroit. Last night's game was the nail in the coffin. Swept by 3/4 teams in our division. At 9.5 games behind and with no real answer as to how we can win again the season is slipping faster and faster away.

The Indians team I will see on Aug 21 up in Seattle will most certainly be a very different one than the one that comes out on the field next April. The game itself will simply be for fun.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Following the Indians is, yet again, an emotional roller coaster. The season started off as expected but then the team seemed to hit a stride and were out performing and playing well and above most expectation. June and July was an exciting three-way race between Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland. But, ever since the MLB All-Star Game something has gone HORRIBLY wrong. Quite honestly, I do not know what has happened other than a complete break down in...everything. We can't seem to hit, we can't seem to make defensive plays but more worrying our pitching is absolutely atrocious. How do they expect to fill the stadium let alone sell tickets to its fans when this is the product they give us? If any of us performed in our job this poorly we would be sacked immediately. Dour? Yes, but you would be too if you followed Cleveland sports.

Good thing the Browns start play in a month. They are off to a great start...two key players already out with season ending injuries. :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Off to Seattle for tonight's game between Seattle and Cleveland. The hottest pitcher in the league starts tonight for Seattle (Felix Hernandez). Not a good sign for the Indians and our already weak offense. Baseball in August has proved to be very, very difficult for Cleveland. Oh well....what can you do?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

" Boston Takes a Dump "

That's what the headlines should read. I follow the BoSox and they just unloaded $261 million dollars on salaries. Two high priced players never panned out i.e. - Carl Crawford should give back most of his salary - he is one of the most injured players to sign a major contract. Adrian Gonzales too ! Huh, 1st game as a Dodger, he homers a 3 run shot in his first at bat. Beckett would rather now drink beer and eat fried chicken in the dugout rather than ' play ' for a salary ... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

As poorly as the Indians have played since the MLB All Star game I have one thing to be somewhat grateful for....at least they don't have the payroll of the Red Sox! Boston have played equally as bad yet their salaries are outrageous.

Spaceman....you live in SF and are a 49ers fan yet you support the BoSox? What about the Giants?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Not really a S.F.Giants fan, however, I have noticed all the people who have jumped on the bandwagon ever since they won the World Series. Been a BoSox fan since I was little ( for some reason ), maybe just picking perennial losers. It was nice to see that they got the monkey off their backs w/ the two World Series. I still don't think they should have fired Terry Francona, Bobby Valentine just doesn't cut it. The loss of Theo Epstein was major.

Yeah, the 49'ers are good. The 49'ers should have a very good season, considering that they are in a weak conference, not only that their defense is scary and Alex Smith is just okay, maybe he will have a breakout season ? Judgement is still deferred on the impact of Randy Moss on the team. We got the speedster LaMichael James from the University of Nike that should make an impact, damm did he hurt Cal and Stanford in those Pac 10 games ...

College football, I always liked MICHIGAN. Sorry, Spzretent. The Wolverines should do well, however with the signing of Urban Meyer at Ohio University (pun) it should make it more competitive. Always a dream of mine to go see a game at " The Big House " maybe playing Ohio St. or Michigan St.

Born and raised in NorCal, can't stand SoCal teams i.e. - Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA

That's all for now ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Not really a S.F.Giants fan, however, I have noticed all the people who have jumped on the bandwagon ever since they won the World Series.
Lots of band wagon fans with any team that is good. Lots of Red Sox band wagon fans too. Same with Steelers, Saints, Packers, Pats, Lakers, OKC yadda yadda yadda. One day all the people who make fun of the Browns will all be running out to buy their merchandise. Can't tell you how many people I see with Lions gear now....probably the same jokers who were laughing at them a few years ago when they went 0-16. Yea, it's easy to be a fan of a winner. But, it's hard to be a fan of perennial losers. When the Browns one day win it all (hopefully in my lifetime) that's what will make the party so much more fun.
Yeah, the 49'ers are good. The 49'ers should have a very good season, considering that they are in a weak conference, not only that their defense is scary and Alex Smith is just okay, maybe he will have a breakout season?

...We got the speedster LaMichael James

SF is in a weaker division but Seattle may be better this year. They also have an interesting schedule....AFC East and NFC North. Not sure how that compares to last year in terms of difficulty but there are some competitive teams there. Smith is ok...he hasn't been treated too well there though. After last years success he will need to prove himself or he will look like another Derek Anderson. One good season. With offensive talent around him, especially RB's, that will help. Regarding James....I know people up here were a bit disappointed he was drafted by a team that is already stacked with quality backs. But, I actually think by giving him fewer downs it might be a blessing and we could see him do really well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hello?
Anyone watching?
First 4 series go to a deciding 5th game.
Incredible comebacks. A few at the expense of my beloved Detroit Tigers and their "closer" Jose Valverde. Would not be a happy Washington Nationals fan either. Ouch.
There is simply nothing better than playoff baseball.
Lucky to have Detroit still very much alive too :D .
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Anybody but the Yankees. Tigers are off to a good start. Keep up the pressure and knock NY out.

Cards v Giants should be a good series.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Good luck in the World Series. I'm glad your boys knocked the Yankees out!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thats how we roll when we make the playoffs.
Knocked out the Yankees 3 times in 6 years. :D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Congratulations Alan!

Sweeping... etc... Spechless...

My opinion is Detroit in 6...

Best,

M
Design.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I'd like to see the Cards wrap it up tonight. I think St. Louie vs Detroit will make for one helluva exciting World Series.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Bring on Da Tigers.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Kung Fu Panda makes kung pao tiger meat out of Shitroit !
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote:Kung Fu Panda makes kung pao tiger meat out of Shitroit !
One day you'll work out that sports gloaters always end up paying for their nonsense.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Kung Fu Panda makes kung pao tiger meat out of Shitroit !
My guess is fans in St. Louis were jumping up and down after game 1, 3 and especially 4 of the NLCS. So, careful with that axe, Eugene. There is still A LOT of baseball yet to play. One thing I will say, as an Indians fan I would NEVER count the Tigers out.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spzretent wrote:Its only game 1 asshole.

Quoth: "Not really a S.F.Giants fan, however, I have noticed all the people who have jumped on the bandwagon ever since they won the World Series. Been a BoSox fan since I was little...."
Spacemanrich wrote in the 'Baseball' thread on Aug 27, page 8 :

I know SO many from the days I lived there. I kept true to my Expo's > BoSox (the minor league for the sox).

Terrible season but I hope the Tigers will win!!!

B,

M
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Throughout the season, as an Indians fan, I obviously want my boys to trump the Tigers. Now that Detroit are in the Series, however, I am rooting for them to win it all. Like Alan said, SF are not an unlikable team. But, being from Cleveland I know what it would mean to a tough working class city that has sunk and is now struggling to rise again like a Phoenix from the ashes. SO, I'm pulling for your boys Alan but they have to wake up. Time and time again they have proven to find their mojo and bite you in the ass (the White Sox can testify to this). But, the time is now for them to show some D-town mettle and start to claw their way back into this series. It's not over yet but it's definitely crunch time.

Go Tigers!!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Last night finally treated us to a good game. Fun to watch and one that I thought was going to go to Detroit. SF just kept making plays when it counted. I expected this series to go to 6-7 games so am quite surprised by the Giants resurgence against St. Louis and now a sweep in the Series.

It seems that in between laying waste to the Yankees and waiting to see who they would play in the World Series rendered the Tigers cold. What are the Detroit media saying, Alan? I know the disappointment you must feel but your boys are still well placed to take the AL next year and their future seems bright.

Anybody but the Yankees or the Red Sox. So, for that I am glad.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Congratulations to the SANFRANCISCOGIANTS and the Detroit Tigers. Seemed like a good series from what I saw of it. Their is going to be a winner and loser in either individual/team sports and the Giants just came out on top. Giants get the treat and the Tigers the trick. Out of the four games, I probably watched about 7 innings for the entire series. I went to my local pub last night to watch the first couple of innings where it got too LOUD and crowded and decided to watch it at home. Turned off the telly at the bottom of the 7th inning and learned that they had won when I heard yelling, firecrackers or perhaps gunfire outside ! All I know that their is pandemonium in San Francisco tonite and for the next couple of days leading to the parade ...

Not a Giants fan and I don't own one stitch of clothing from either the Giants or 49'ers - no hats, no shirts, no bumper stickers ! All I know their are bunch of Giants fans riding that bandwagon when they are playing well and winning championships - where were they during the 'dark years' ? I, guess it's good to renew new fans and get people excited, but I kinda find it pathetic. People sporting brand new baseball caps and stating that I've always been a Giants fan from the get go - bullshit.

From what I saw, the Giants had the hitting and the pitching. The Tigers just fell flat in the hitting department. Neverless, they'll rebound and contend next year with most of their young team intact.

* don't forget about your free taco tomorrow (tuesday) at participating Taco Bell from 2-6pm....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Disappointed that the hitting ground to a halt. This happened all season long. Prolonged hitting droughts. One just hit at the worst possible time.
We still made it to the World Series. No way did I think that was going to happen. So that was great.
As a 40+ year Tigers fan and season ticket holder I am proud. Now its time to retool and upgrade several areas of the team.
I just hope they finish the deal next time they make it..
Stay positive and keep the faith. Your team has a lot to be proud of and a couple key moves will make them even stronger next season. As an Indians fan, I'm not sure why I am saying that because a stronger Detroit team is not good for the Indians. But, I've never had a problem with the Tigers and as long as they aren't playing Cleveland in the post season I'll get behind them.
spacemanrich wrote: Not a Giants fan and I don't own one stitch of clothing from either the Giants or 49'ers - no hats, no shirts, no bumper stickers ! All I know their are bunch of Giants fans riding that bandwagon when they are playing well and winning championships - where were they during the 'dark years' ? I, guess it's good to renew new fans and get people excited, but I kinda find it pathetic. People sporting brand new baseball caps and stating that I've always been a Giants fan from the get go - bullshit.
I get really irritated with bandwagon fans. Here in Portland with no pro football or pro baseball the people are fickle. One year it's the Packers, next year it is the Saints and now it is the 49ers or Giants. Even in basketball many kids wear Lakers, Heat or Thunder gear. Shame, as we DO actually have a basketball team. Kids in Portland should grow up Blazers fans.

My friends and my students all enjoy making fun of the Browns. They all have a good laugh when I state this but I honestly believe that the Browns future is bright. The true fans who have stuck with the Browns will have the last laugh. I'm also prepared (and brave enough) to say that in 3-5 years the Browns will prove all the naysayers wrong and we will have to deal with all the bandwagon "fans" wanting to join our party. I guess if it means a return to playoffs or even a Championship I can deal with it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its funny when you get to a championship series. 90% of the crowd are bandwagon fans with a lot of money to burn. The long time fans are priced out at $250 to $500 per ticket. This was evident by the people I saw at game 3. Some were cool, some were just idiots. Like the loudmouth sitting behind me. Dressed head to toe in new Tigers/World Series gear. My guess is he paid $2000 for the three(it was scheduled for three but Giants swept) games total. Then another $500 at the merchandside booth. Probably another $100 on pre game drinks. When the game started he was so loud we moved down the row, By the 5th inning he was sleeping.
I'm sure that scenario played out in a lot of sections saturday night.
The best is when they talk baseball like they really understand it and it just makes them look like a bigger idiot because they clearly dont know much at all. Its just the alcohol boosting the volume.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

When your on a streak like that it is hard to stop. All the stars were lined up for them to win. Pessimism crept into the Detroit fans after game 2 :
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/ar ... 983131.php

In game 3 you could tell that the Tigers were not happy or comfortable, almost realizing the ineviteable. Every player looked like deer in the headlights ...

4-0 sweep ( last sweep was BoSox against Cardinals ) where the BoSox won 8 games in a row. Down 0-3 against the Yankees and stormed back to win 4 straight.

Giants also has a young team intact w/ a good strong pitching in the future. Bring on the Dodgers :lol:
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

That would be the Red Sox sweeping my Rockies who tried their best to lose 100 games this year. I think this is correct that the last 4 teams to sweep a LCS (A's, Tigers, Rockies, Tigers) have gone on to only win one World Series game, the Tigers in '06. It just goes to show that the layoff kills all momentum.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Its funny when you get to a championship series. 90% of the crowd are bandwagon fans with a lot of money to burn. The long time fans are priced out at $250 to $500 per ticket. This was evident by the people I saw at game 3. Some were cool, some were just idiots. Like the loudmouth sitting behind me. Dressed head to toe in new Tigers/World Series gear. My guess is he paid $2000 for the three(it was scheduled for three but Giants swept) games total. Then another $500 at the merchandside booth. Probably another $100 on pre game drinks. When the game started he was so loud we moved down the row, By the 5th inning he was sleeping.
Yes. Regular games are becoming outrageous too. Soon, the regular fan wont be able to attend. In fact, it's pretty much already like that. At Portland Trailblazers games we sit in the 300 section anything in the 200 and especially the 100 section are outrageous.

Even as a young boy back in the days of Brian Sipe and the "Kardiac Kids" I said that if the Browns ever go to a Super Bowl I would do whatever I could to get a ticket. I seriously thought it was going to happen in the late 80's but it wasn't to be. Now, I am not sure what I would rather do.....part of me feels that if and when it happens that maybe I should fly to Cleveland and watch it in a bar with the real, salt of the earth true fans. God knows, I certainly wont be able to afford the inflated cost for tickets. I guess if I had started saving even a $1 a week back in those Brian Sipe days I probably could afford it now! :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I went to the Lions game sunday and hated every minute of it. I really cant stand the NFL. It was my first ever regular season game at Ford Field. My record will forever remain 1-0.
I did used to go to tons of games at the Silverdome.
Blame ESPN for my total disdain of the NFL. That and a clueless owner and ummm....Matt Millen.
I'm sorry to hear this. My years in Cleveland cemented my love of the Browns and the Indians. Memories with dad and good friends. Eventually getting one of my first jobs selling coca-cola at Municipal Stadium. I am a die hard and find it difficult to get out of my system. Trust me....it's not easy being a fan of the Browns. Especially when you don't live in Cleveland anymore. But, I guess misery loves company because every week at one particular pub here in Portland there are a core group of us ex-Clevelander's who watch the games week in, week out. The older guys there even gave my son (the youngest person who has been watching every game with them since 2007) his choice of any jersey, custom made with any name. He chose a throwback Jim Brown jersey because Jimmy is, and will forever be, a glorious Brown! :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I understand this passion completely.
In Detroit we have(or had) the Red Wings. Far and away my second favorite sport behind baseball. Then comes Michigan State. After that I am a bandwagon Pistons fan.
The Lions? Those guys who came up with the sarcastic "Rebulding Since '57" with the Ford Mustang logo in Lions colors nailed it. The back says 2008 Pre Season Champs- Winning When It Counts.
The whole Matt Millen era/debacle. When his contract was up the fans were celebrating because they were certain he would be fired. Not in Detroit. His ineptitude won him a contract extension from Mr Ford. It was a clearly a fuck you to the fans who fill his stadium every other sunday. That is where I completely bailed on the NFL and the Lions.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, and I certainly have my issues with the NFL too. Art Modell ripping the heart away from Cleveland was horrible. The only saving grace for me during that time was being in England and it was difficult to follow them. I remember the effect the move had on my dad though. Only just recently have I been able to get him to start watching their games again. He pretty much walked away after Modell's knife in the back and followed college exclusively. But, slowly but surely I've been getting him to watch again and take notice. I think our new owner will help. He has already said he is willing to do whatever it takes to help get Cleveland a winner again and he has been at every game this season (even though he only officially became the owner in the last week). Our previous owners were never as committed to even attend a game let alone throw some $$ into the organization. So, I'm hopeful.

That said, I was hopeful when Holmgren was hired too but that expectation never delivered.

I quite liked Manny Acta but I'm hopeful of Terry Francona helping turn the Indians around too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My feeling is that all sports are primarily businesses these days. I suppose they always have been, but it feels that way more than ever now. It's hard for me to get genuinely excited. I would be thrilled if the Cubs won a World Series, but aside from that, sports don't move me much. If the Bears win the Super Bowl (doubtful), it'd be cool, but nothing more. Maybe this will change when my kids get older if they start to get really into one or more of the Chicago teams. If it's a family vibe, like Redcloud has with his son, that's something different.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm getting excited about baseball season. No idea what to expect of the Indians but they have made a bold splash at free agents and Francona at Manager makes it even more interesting. Should be fun to watch.

I'm already looking at getting tickets for at least one of their three games against Seattle in July.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Cubs v. Indians : WS Game 1 Tonight. Super psyched!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

since i watched moneyball a few years ago i want to try baseball again- what is the best game to watch on youtube (and please don't tell me the results!)
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I listened to almost every Red Sox game this season, up until that last inning. It was beautiful stuff.
I despised all things baseball until 2002, when my elderly aunt (who basically spent her youth at Fenway with my dad) took me to a few games and her joy was infectious. It was perfect timing, of course, because then 2003 happened... and then 2004 happened, and living in Beantown that year was a magical thing. And she lived to see it. Wish my dad could've, too.
So, I'm a devoted Sox fan, but GO CUBS!
Am rooting for the Cubs.
Cubs!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I love sports but baseball is something that's never caught my imagination. I've gone thru phases of educating myself in a few American sports - college football, the NBA - but baseball I could never endure. The sloth like way of how it unfolds, & the culture surrounding it, I was never able to break thru. This story however has captured my attention (& let's be honest, is a timely & welcome distraction from the horror show that is the rest of the news lately). So I'm going to try & stay up and watch this tonight.. I've got the recorder set just in case..

As a complete neutral I've a feeling I'm meant to be cheering for Chicago..??
I've done a little research but am still confused as to why the MLB is split between the NL & AL. I get the DH rule & tactics at work as a result.. I just don't understand why it necessitates a division between the leagues, but I'm going with the flow for this evening. Maybe it will reveal some intricacies & lead to a deeper understanding/appreciation as the game unfolds..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Put it this way.
The best sport's biggest game of the year last night was like riding a 3 hour rollercoaster. It had so many crazy decisions, twists and turns, inexplicable comebacks and even a rain delay.
Baseball, more than any other sport in the US, is woven thru fabric of generations of families. It bonds generations I guess.
Baseball also starts in February with Spring Training and it ended last night in a glorious 3+ hour spectacle. So it is around for nearly half of the year. Nearly every night. At least from April thru November.
The other stuff? The designated hitter? I live in an American League city so I am used to it. Just as those living in or following National League cities are not. Major League Baseball should decide one way or the other. That divide played a big role in this World Series.
There is so much history and so much humor. Unlike any other sport here.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea that was great - a great advertisement for the sport. It was a rollercoaster of incidents and emotions. It was a great final.

I don't think I'm going to sit thru 200 matches per season but it's definitely given me a passing interest.

"Best sport" is stretching it tho ;) But that's a debate for another time & I think I'm talking to a bit of a baseball nut in yourself spzretent..?? I don't want to rain on the parade because it was really great & entertaining. & the appeal of it, outside of the stories/narrative involved, started to become apparent: a lot of tactics, techniques, skill & decision making involved, there is a lot to invest in and admire as a spectator.
It was hugely enjoyable, fantastic fun. I did fall asleep at one stage but woke up & they were still playing. I figure this can happen quite a bit watching baseball. The tv box has a time limit for recording & it stopped long before the game was over. I think I got quite a lot of the experience in one sitting last night.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:

"Best sport" is stretching it tho ;) But that's a debate for another time & I think I'm talking to a bit of a baseball nut in yourself spzretent..?? I don't want to rain on the parade .

well, i asked what the best historical game was to try baseball but no one replied so i am assuming that there are not any good games?

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:
well, i asked what the best historical game was to try baseball but no one replied so i am assuming that there are not any good games?
The one I knew of before was the Game 6 of the 2003 final.. (how's that for raining on a parade?!)
There was a good 30 for 30 film about that one.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

That game was incredible. I definitely questioned a few of Madden's decisions. Pulling Hendricks before the end of the 5th seemed premature. I think he could have made it through the end of the 6th. Putting Chapman back in was very risky and obviously didn't pay off. Not Chapman's fault, as Madden was asking too much of him. Anyway, it obviously worked out, but I was on the edge of my seat until the very last out. Highlights were Grandpa Rossy's home run (what I way to end a career) and the 10th inning hitting spree. Chicago is glowing right now. It's great.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Dr wrote:
"Best sport" is stretching it tho ;) But that's a debate for another time & I think I'm talking to a bit of a baseball nut in yourself spzretent..?? I don't want to rain on the parade .

It is an opinion. Yes I am a big baseball fan. It is my favorite sport. Period. Most of that has to do with the history that goes with it. Like last night the Chicago Cubs ending a 108 year old drought.
On the other hand I totally understand how folks outside of N America and the Caribbean dont get it. Much like I have no clue about Cricket or even Rugby for that matter.
For historical purposes I am not sure you need to sit down and watch an entire game but here are several. You could easily youtube the highlights.
Game 7 1960 World Series.
Game 6 1975 World Series
Game 7 1995 World Series
Game 7 2001 World Series
Game 7 2003 American League Championship series
The entire 2004 American League Championship series.
Game 4 2006 American League Championship series
Game 6 2011 World Series
and of course last nights game.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It still makes me laugh how they call it a "World" series.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote: It is an opinion. Yes I am a big baseball fan. It is my favorite sport. Period. Most of that has to do with the history that goes with it. Like last night the Chicago Cubs ending a 108 year old drought.
Yes I get that, that slice of history was what attracted me to watching in the first place. But those stories are something universal to sports and games e.g. Leicester winning their first league championship last year in the football (132 years).
Last night tho i received an education in the sport. I was kinda willing to dismiss it as a 'game' rather than a 'sport' (if that's makes any sense): as a field sport it had always seemed implausible slow & dull, not so much chess on a roller coaster, more like a.. well a boring game!
But last night I came to appreciate the athleticism of it. There is a lot of skill and technique involved and a lot of high level decision making and tactical thought at work. It's actually very intense. & like all great sports a lot of that has actually a negative aspect on the actual in-game action, where teams will play safety first and make defensive decisions, "play the odds" is the parlance I believe. But like all great sports sometimes those negative tactics get what they deserve and the more adventurous side triumphs. I did feel bad for the kid on clevelands second base(?) tho, thought he had a great game but was bad let down by the team mates he effectively carried for the most part.

So yea, I enjoyed it & I have a newfound appreciation for it. But I still prefer plenty of other sports. I'll maybe start tuning in every now and again instead of flicking over/avoiding it on the sports channels.
For the record, I really do not like cricket or rugby.
Hurley is my sport (along with football). I'm of the belief it's got a certain unique beautiful poetry to it, but like I say that's something you can probably find in many regional and universal sports.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spzretent wrote: It is an opinion. Yes I am a big baseball fan. It is my favorite sport. Period. Most of that has to do with the history that goes with it. Like last night the Chicago Cubs ending a 108 year old drought.
On the other hand I totally understand how folks outside of N America and the Caribbean dont get it. Much like I have no clue about Cricket or even Rugby for that matter.
For historical purposes I am not sure you need to sit down and watch an entire game but here are several. You could easily youtube the highlights.
Game 7 1960 World Series.
Game 6 1975 World Series
Game 7 1995 World Series
Game 7 2001 World Series
Game 7 2003 American League Championship series
The entire 2004 American League Championship series.
Game 4 2006 American League Championship series
Game 6 2011 World Series
and of course last nights game.
great, thank you! i'd like to watch the whole game to get the nuances of it- i guess knowing the context would help to- but let's not worry about that for now!

thank you

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:

Yes I get that, that slice of history was what attracted me to watching in the first place. But those stories are something universal to sports and games e.g. Leicester winning their first league championship last year in the football (132 years).

:D

though it was not the first league championship- having won lower down, but the first old first division/premiership

and now the champions league- first team ever to go the first 4 games without conceeding a goal!

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="jack white"]

[quote]

Not like baseball. It is a bit difficult to explain. There is no relegation/promotion in any major US sports. Same teams play every year in Major League Baseball.
You dont even have to be a massive fan of baseball to be affected. It crosses over all races, religions, sexes. It is woven thru the history of this country like a 150 year old quilt. It is like white noise in many households from April thru October. On TV or radio. Always there.
I move seniors for a living. If there is a local Detroit Tigers game on it is always on in the TV lounge. Something those who have Alzheimers or Dementia can refer back to at a time in their lives. It is really quite amazing. Occasionally I will stop to watch a bit and the residents start telling me stories of when they were younger and went to games. What players they saw play etc.
It is like music to them. Something that brings back memories and they love to talk about it. Actually it is very theraputic which is why those games are on.
As I said, it isnt that easy to explain but it really is something to see and feel.