Portland "gets" it!

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

Portland "gets" it!

Post by redcloud »

Who said Americans don't get football/soccer?

This video is from April 14, 2011...Portland's debut MLS home match against Chicago after scoring the first goal (Portland won 4-2 on a very rainy, cold night): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0jlGFw ... re=related.

Tickets sold out long ago and were being sold for a fortune. Sadly I couldn't get my hands on any tickets and had to watch it on tv...but I do have tickets for tomorrow's game against Dallas. :D

Portland's team has always had a solid following even when we were in USL. They have no doubt benefited by being promoted to MLS and by signing more international players it has also brought in more support from our Latino population.

BTW, for you in the UK you may recognize our manager...it's John Spencer.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Portland "gets" it!

Post by runcible »

Looks like a great atmosphere there. I certainly remember John Spencer - a terrier like striker with short legs who was very effective for Chelsea and... er, someone else but I have forgotten who...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: I certainly remember John Spencer - a terrier like striker with short legs who was very effective for Chelsea and... er, someone else but I have forgotten who...
Big feature on Spencer in our local paper when he was hired. His player resume is pretty extensive. He also played for Rangers as well as QPR and Everton before coming over to MLS and joining Colorado.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Looks like a great atmosphere there.
http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/201 ... %80%94ever
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

redcloud wrote:BTW, for you in the UK you may recognize our manager...it's John Spencer.
What, out of the Blues Explosion?! :shock:

All joking aside...its good to see the passion for football on the other side of the pond. I spent a bit of time in San Francisco in 2009 and it was really popular over there too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ads wrote:
redcloud wrote:BTW, for you in the UK you may recognize our manager...it's John Spencer.
Now that would be funny...and possibly even a tad cool...but certainly not good for the promotion of "football" in this country. :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:
He'd get hot running all over the pitch in those leather trousers for sure.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Half cut here...had six pints...shit man, that was great fun! So brilliant to see America enjoying soccer. Portland won 3-2 against FC Dallas. Fabulous songs, sunshine (having not seen the sun since October one realizes it really is a beautiful thing)...so fun to sing all the songs with the 20,000+ supporters. We had seats right by the the corner flag next to the north end /Timbers army section. Great times.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

It was nice to see Cesc Fabregas and Robin Van Persie in the stands at the Rapids v. Pink Cows game last night. You know, they were there to support their owner's other team. Wait, they were there because of Henry? :D Seriously, I doubt they know that Kroenke owns the Rapids.