A Tech Question.

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

sunray
Known user

A Tech Question.

Post by sunray »

Anyone know if it's possible to record from a Sky+ Box directly onto an external hard drive? In the manual it says you can record onto a video or recordable DVD player but we have neither, just a bog standard cheapo dvd player.

I've got a nice collection of music docs building up and i'd really like to hold onto them instead of having to delete them all when the capacity is reached on the box.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Re: A Tech Question.

Post by Laz69 »

Not possible due to SKY+ encrypting everything. I looked into doing this a while back and, although i found some helpful leads, it started to get very technical and messy with little reward.

Would be easier to try and find the shows you have on a torrent site...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The only way I managed to do something like this (using the Australian equivalent of Sky+) was to play everything onto the HDD of a DVD Recorder - it was a total pain in the arse, largely because it took ages. Then I burned off the files to DVD. However, given the approach I couldn't do anything about menus/chapters etc. About 5.2 nanoseconds after I finished, I found a bunch of the films on a torrent site - so save yourself the pain and download everything you can find. Isohunt is pretty useful for finding material.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thanks for the help chaps. I had a feeling it might be a complete pain, if it were possible at all. Torrents it is so.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five