New turntable and record collecting in general

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Shinesalight
Known user

New turntable and record collecting in general

Post by Shinesalight »

Its my birthday this week, and my parents are kindly giving me some cash to put towards a new record player. I've got a massive box of old vinyl (mainly shoegaze/indie/britpop stuff) stored in their garage from back when I was a teenager/in my early 20's (hopefully still in reasonable condition....will be gutted if they all end up being warped or damaged after all this time. I've never checked/played them since they were stored there). Anyway, I'm either opting for a Rega P1 or a Project Debut III, which both seem to be the turntable of choice for those entering/re-entering the vinyl playing game. I know this 2 models have been talked about on this forum in quite a bit of detail on other threads.

Apart from wanting to play my old vinyl collection, I'm quite keen to start collecting vinyl again, especially as this seems to be something that my girlfiend is also quite interested in. What I am unsure of however, is whether to concentrate on purchasing albums in their original form or the newer/re-mastered versions of said albums? Neil Young especially seems to be a case in point. I'm a massive fan of his but have noticed that his re-released vinyl seems rather expensive, especially when there are so many versions of each of his albums available on the 2nd hand market. Also, I realise that a lot of newer releases come with downloand codes thus preventing the need to buy new albums on both vinyl and CD as I do like to listen to my I-Pod a lot when I'm on the move.

Anyway, I'm just getting excited about getting back into vinyl again as I know, for the majority of people on here, it is the music medium of choice.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: New turntable and record collecting in general

Post by TheWarmth »

As for Neil Young, if I were you, I would seek out nice original copies, which will probably cost you less than the fancy new Japanese pressings and should still sound quite good to your ears. I generally only go for reissues if the original copies are completely out of my price range. I know the N.Y. ones are very high quality, but you do need to be wary of some of them. Plain Recordings, which has done the recent Spiritualized reissues, doesn't have a great reputation. However, I don't have a problem with my copy of Ladies & Gentlemen and I don't plan to spend the money it takes to obtain an original. I have not heard their pressings of LGM or PP, as I have originals of those.

I have a vintage Sansui SR-717 turntable, but I know the Regas are highly regarded, so I'm sure that would be a good choice.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Go for the Rega.

I'm assuming the price between the two deck's are similar? If you can financially swing up to the P2 do it, if not...the P1 is a brilliant entry level turntable (if not THE best entry level turntable for the money). What makes the Rega the winner, in my opinion, is its tonearm. Even at an entry level player it is beautifully warm in sound and has great tonal depth. The P1 will probably come with a 5ohm Ortofon cartridge, you can leave it on or have them replace it with a 10 ohm cartridge and box up the 5ohm for your own replacement stock. Remember, do not try and over dress it with a more expensive cartridge than what the player was designed for. It is, after all, an entry level deck.

Another good reason to go for the Rega? It is made in England. Support your boys. 8)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am a great fan of good quality vinyl.
Original copies, if their condition is satisfactory, are usually my first choice, however
certain releases or time periods may be budget busters.

Used record stores - just check out what is available in your area; some owners
are more meticulous than others; generally the store that has been around the longest
is the first place I go, they have a reputation to uphold and usually do so by being
particular about what they buy and sell, or refunding or exchanging a flop quickly.

I have found that many new companies providing vinyl are hit and miss;
(i.e. "Plain Recordings" has been mentioned in this way many times); but
I have not had any problems w/ Capitol, RCA/BMG, or Deutche Grammophone
label reissues.
Although the demand for Japanese vinyl releases has caused them
to be a bit pricey, (as well as the effects of the US Treasury's QE1&2, "Quantum Easing" -
i.e. making our currency in the US increasingly worthless compared w/ other currencies
(like the yen) -
nevertheless),
I can say that I have returned only 1 Japanese pressing in >35 years because
of an error in the pressing. These releases are almost always packaged in a second
thickness of jacketing protecting the vinyl, have a protective antistat material in the vinyl (that actually works),
along with bonus artwork, lyrics and antistatic inserts. I have several thousand Japanese YSL recordings.

I am disgusted that the USA does not produce such a quality product, I would prefer buying
pressings in the country I lived in, wherever that might be; it used to be the case you could.

By the way,
A great "unloading" of Greek pressings has been going on for the last 2 years. I have purchased some
for the collection, but there sound quality (for most) is not that great, and many examples are like flexidiscs.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Finding the right record store takes time. As semisynthetic suggests, start with one that has a decent reputation but be careful that they are not exploiting their prices due to the resurgence of the medium's popularity. Look around and compare. Used vinyl need not be expensive. In fact, unless you are talking rarities it should be relatively cheap to buy.

Careful also with buying bootleg reissues of obscure albums. Many of these are taken direct from vinyl sources and depending on the equipment used, mixing, quality of the vinyl etc. the sound can suffer. There are loads of legit reissue companies that have access to the master tapes that are doing great jobs and are getting money to the artists. However, sometimes that is not always the case and a bootleg of an ultra rare, hard to find or out of print album might be the only answer. As long as you know what you are getting this shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

New vinyl remasters of old analogue recordings vs original analog LP? Well, maybe I am showing my age or maybe I am too much of a purist but I like the original analog copies best. The idea of hindsight and going back and tinkering/changing the original piece seems strange to me with music, art and time. Even something as raw and as sonically poor as the original 'Raw Power' or 'Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow' sound find when one puts them into their drug soaked context.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I would go for a Rega if I was in the market for an entry level turntable. I ran a Rega Planar 3 for about 18 years without a bit of hassle, just a couple of changes of belt and a change of cartridge every now and then. I would leave aside a bit of your budget for a new phono stage. OK, so many integrated amps have one these days, but often they are there as a second thought and sound rubbish. The Cambridge Audio or NAD phono stages are good. I can also highly reccommend the Bellari VP130, which I used for a number of years with the Rega and an Ortofon 2M Bronze (I think - it was an MM anyway). You might like to try eBay for a second - hand Rega, and then splash the savings on a better cartridge and phono stage.

For what it is worth, I have just shelled out for a new turntable - a Linn LP12. It is a very expensive present to myself for being sick all the time. I am like a kid on Xmas Eve waiting for this to arrive....... :roll:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote: OK, so many integrated amps have one these days, but often they are there as a second thought and sound rubbish. The Cambridge Audio or NAD phono stages are good. I can also highly reccommend the Bellari VP130, which I used for a number of years with the Rega and an Ortofon 2M Bronze (I think - it was an MM anyway). You might like to try eBay for a second - hand Rega, and then splash the savings on a better cartridge and phono stage.
Good advice! I have a Cambridge Audio phono amp. I really like the warmth and depth of British made stereo equipment. Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Rega, Kef etc. are all brands I either currently have or have had in the past and am consistently pleased with.

Let us know how your new turntable sounds. Nice present. It sounds like you deserve it. Best wishes and get well!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shinesalight wrote:...What I am unsure of however, is whether to concentrate on purchasing albums in their original form or the newer/re-mastered versions of said albums? Neil Young especially seems to be a case in point. I'm a massive fan of his but have noticed that his re-released vinyl seems rather expensive, especially when there are so many versions of each of his albums available on the 2nd hand market...
Yo Ads, I have a good stack of NY on vinyl and absolutely none of them have been any of the recent expensive represses. They probably do have a greater fidelity but to be honest, they wouldn't have sounded like that when they first came out - see Redcloud's great point about Raw Power and Free Your Mind...

I would state that all the NY vinyl I own sounds wonderful anyway - most of them were original releases bought ridiculously cheaply over the years (Glasgow second hand shops seemed to be giving his stuff away a few years back) - best one was just last year getting a great copy with poster of Time Fades Away for a few quid. Which was nice...

I own what must be a late 90s(?) press of Tonight's The Night which was bought brand new from Fopp for a £5, which is absolutely great as well.

I think you just need to take a chance - I personally wouldn't feel obliged to spend massive amounts on a re-release on record if the original is still floating about... depends what's on it in the end.

There's only one record which I can think of in that I noticed a massive difference in sound quality due to original/later pressings: I had a copy of Moondance by Van Morrison years back, much like Tonight's The Night above it was a 'recent' repress. I purchased this brand new, and the sound was rotten. Thin vinyl which sounded absurdly tinny and seemed to have a totally compressed stereo sound. No amount of IQing was gonna save this...was like listening to a shitty 128kbps mp!

Long since lost the record (good!) but last year I found what was clearly an original 1970 issue for 50p :shock: - thicker sleeve, heavy vinyl, and it plays like a dream. Full, warm sound with great depth. Nice one Van...

Lastly though, there's no hard and fast rules about this stuff (just do what I do and make 'em up as you go... :wink: ), one of Mrs Space's favourite records is a battered copy of Echoes Of The 60s by Spector and co, and it's on thin vinyl, loads of tracks each side, scratched to fuck but... it sounds MAGNIFICENT! I am consistently blown away by how good this record sounds compared to the weirdly sterile Back To Mono cd versions. And this record is regularly played loud alright... :D

Lastly, good luck Ads. I've found (despite ebay, discogs etc) there is still much gold to be found even in charity shops - ones in smaller towns rather than big cities often yield awesome finds. It's a beautiful thing when you stumble across some amazing record like that...
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

BzaInSpace wrote:Lastly, good luck Ads. I've found (despite ebay, discogs etc) there is still much gold to be found even in charity shops - ones in smaller towns rather than big cities often yield awesome finds. It's a beautiful thing when you stumble across some amazing record like that...
There a a few simple pleasures in life that just can't be beaten. A shop full of vinyl and a free hour to browse is right up there with the best of them. Now eBay is great if you've got a few quid, are in a hurry, and know what you want. However, I still really enjoy going into a second hand store a finding a gem that I wasn't particularly looking for. For example, the chances of me searching for a Jim Dickinson record on eBay is zero usually. However, I picked up a copy of Jim Dickinson with Chuck Prophet and the Creeatures of Habit: Live at Slims June '92 at my local second hand store for $12 - it is fucking awesome. Dickinson's opening "prayer" is worth the entry fee on its own: "Our father, who art in Washington, George Bush be thy name......". I also picked up all the really good Les Disques de Crepiscule compilations from the early 1980s there for buttons.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

BzaInSpace wrote: there is still much gold to be found even in charity shops - ones in smaller towns rather than big cities often yield awesome finds. It's a beautiful thing when you stumble across some amazing record like that...
Right on! I know of a couple decent used record stores in the suburbs that are worth driving out to. Out there in mp3 land the record stores are nowhere near as picked over as the shops in the city. I am consistently surprised and often find some goodies at decent prices. Also, garage sales (or car boot sales in the UK) and estate sales yield some magnificent finds. It may be slim pickings but when you do find something that makes your heart flutter and that leap of joy deep in your stomach it will all be worth it!

I consider myself lucky because Portland has many excellent used record stores. My personal favorite store is essentially a consignment shop for record dealers. There are about 25 or so record dealers under one roof, which means new things are constantly coming in...but it also makes the place dangerous to the wallet!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Gotta agree with the above post, you can strike lucky at any time. I recently picked up a 1969 re-issue of Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart in my local Oxfam for €2. I would describe the vinyl as Ex and the sleeve VG. :D

I used to be a vinyl junkie but hardly ever buy records these days though as i just find them to be too expensive. :(
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers for all of the words of wisdom guys. I reckon I will opt for the Rega P1, probably a new one as I'm a bit unsure of the ones currently going on E-Bay. My amp (a Rotel RA-930AX) has got a phono option on it already so a bit unsure whether I need to buy a phono stage/pre-amp as well. Would rather not have to as money is pretty tight at the moment. Hopefully I can get by without one for now and then maybe invest in one sometime in the future?

I've just got back from my parents after picking up my box of vinyl and dropping it round to my girlfriend's house (over the weekend she asked me to move in with her :D ). Apart from being ever so slightly damp, the records seem to be just how I left them. I have now stored them horizontally, one atop the other, to flatten out some of the edges of the sleeves. Like I'd already mentioned previously, its mostly old school indie, especially the baggy period (all the Roses 12"'s, a lot of Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, The High, Flowered Up) shoegaze (Ride, Slowdive, MBV) and most of the Smiths LP's (don't think they're original pressings... maybe late 80's though). Noticed I had the first 3 Verve 12"'s but never got round to buying their albums (a shame seeing how much they fetch now). I'd also forgotten I had 11 of the 12 singles the Weddoes released in a year (a friend has the first one which I'm missing and I'm sure he could be persuaded to part with it for my birthday :wink: ).

What I need to do now is get some decent heavy duty plastic outer sleeves to give them a bit more protection. Any recommendations as there seems to be a load of them going on E-Bay at the moment?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shinesalight wrote: I have now stored them horizontally, one atop the other, to flatten out some of the edges of the sleeves.
Hmm, not sure about that. I was always led to believe that storing records on top of one another would warp the vinyl.

I am also missing that 1st Weddoes single off the Hit Parade. Unfortunately, unlike you, i know someone who has(had?) it but would certainly never give it to me even though they don't have the other 11. I'll get it somewhere, someday...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote: What I need to do now is get some decent heavy duty plastic outer sleeves to give them a bit more protection. Any recommendations as there seems to be a load of them going on E-Bay at the moment?
I can certainly get you some. One of the shops I go to sells them for .20cents a piece. Not sure how much you would save though if I bought them then shipped them over. But, I can certainly help a brother out if you need it. Just let me know.

Also, I agree with sunray....I too have always read that the best way to store vinyl is vertically/side by side and not horizontal on top of one another.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

ALWAYS STORE VINYL RECORDINGS VERTICALLY; otherwise the record can, and usually will, warp.

for storage of your collection,
I recommend "Bags Unlimited". I have been buying their products for years. I just called in an order this morning.

100 LP plastics w/ resealable flaps are about $20.00.

They also carry items for 7" vinyl, 10" , 12" & 16" vinyl; CDs; DVDs
Japanese mini-discs, replicated CD "album Jackets" etcetera.

Bags Unlimited Collection Protection Store
Bags Unlimited features various display case, CD storage, trade show display, DVD case, and shipping supplies for all types of packaging needs. Discounts for …

http://www.bagsunlimited.com

Nice people.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Shinesalight wrote:Its my birthday this week, and my parents are kindly giving me some cash to put towards a new record player. I've got a massive box of old vinyl (mainly shoegaze/indie/britpop stuff) stored in their garage from back when I was a teenager/in my early 20's (hopefully still in reasonable condition....will be gutted if they all end up being warped or damaged after all this time. I've never checked/played them since they were stored there).

I'm happy to see that you are showing such interest in "returning to vinyl".

This is a topic of great personal interest. I will offer what I believe to be useful information for you to consider.

If you follow a few simple points CONSISTENTLY, your new aquisitions can give you years of superior sound.

Of course, the weakest link, in this case the lowest quality piece of sound equipment, will be the limiting factor in how well your system sounds; you can always improve the components of your system over time, you CANNOT ALWAYS REPLACE THE RECORDINGS AS EASILY. You may end up with the system of your dreams, it would be unfortunate, and unnecessary to find that YOUR RECORDINGS would (now) be the weakest link by improper care.

A Few Helpful Hints: If I overstate the obvious, it is only meant to be helpful. Over the last few years, I have been surprised when helping out someone who has never had a turntable (or was starting again, as you are) just what level of detail was often needed to give the maximum benefit.

I have enjoyed collecting and listening to music for nearly 40 years. (WOW-it doesn't seem that long)........

1. Always store your vinyl recordings Vertically or they will warp.
2. Do Not have these upright recordings "Squeezed" together so tightly that they cannot "breathe"; the should remain
vertical supported on either end of each shelf - If your recordings are "Squeezed" they can warp.
3. Never touch the surface of the disc; oil from your fingertips will become a particulate magnet and damage the
record
, and over time, your stylus which will, in turn damage recordings played by it.
HOLD the RECORD w/ your fingertips on the edge only, or the edge and center spindle only.
4. Keep your recordings in plastic sleeves; preferably with resealable flaps; this will help eliminate, or at least
minimize particulates coming into contact with the vinyl. The most common materials used are Polypropylene and
Polyethylene. (It can be a good idea to place your discs in antistatic sleeves).
(I suggest asking the vendor for an example of each; both types have their own pros and cons - you decide what you like)
5. Before each play, insure that the turntable platten is devoid of contaminant, otherwise you will be grinding grit
into the side you are not playing yet.
6. Clean the disc EACH AND EVERY TIME with something akin to a "Discwasher" or a carbon fiber brush GENTLY w/ a LIGHTLY DAMPENED, NOT SOAKED, with distilled water; do not play a wet record. Besides the dampness removing particulates, the humidity minimizes static.
7. After EACH play, give the disc a similar cleaning, with a minimum of moisture and do not put the disc away wet.
If you allow the platten to spin for a very short interval, this will allow the disc to dry - whether you are about to PLAY it
OR PUT IT AWAY.

8. Consistency is key. You can damage the surface ergo the sound quality by one sloppy "quick play" without taking a very few minutes at most required to best clean and put away your discs. If you are in a hurry, play CDs.
9. You may find that a "Zerostat gun" or another ionizing gun will help eliminate static on your recordings. This becomes
clearly evident in the winter of cold climes, since the heater of you home will make the air dry and prone to static.

I hope that this is helpful. I didn't put these in an exact order, but you get the overall idea. I also did not explain "why" certain steps were best carried out; if I was not clear in my suggestions, or if you have a question, I would be happy to answer. -semisynthetic-
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers Semisynthetic, I will make it a priority after work to get round to my girlrfiend's and re-stack my vinyl upright. Checked out that site you recommended but can't seem to find their shipping charges to the UK...bit concerned thats going to really up the cost. Checked a couple of items out on E-Bay and came up with the following:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-LP-12-SIN ... 483365a991

These are polypropylene as you recommended but is it or me or do the sleeves look much bigger than the record they have stored in it?

These chaps seem to be very popular on E-Bay UK:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SOUNDSWHOLESAL ... 4340.l2563

and I was thinking of going for either these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-12-POLYTHE ... 45f03f835b

or these, which are much clearer/stronger, but also a lot more expensive:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-12-PVC-REC ... 45fb262d77
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Check some of these out:

Planar 3:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Planar-3 ... 45fbf1611d
P1:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP1-Turn ... 27bc636c83

There are loads of these for 225 (ish) including an ortofon cartridge and delivery

And what I would buy if I were after a cheap(ish) Rega. It is an extra 140 over the P1, but a cheeky offer costs nowt....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGA-P-25-RB6 ... 2eb6b7663d

This is the Mutts Nutts for a cheapish T/T. The RB600 is a fantastic tonearm. The nice thing about all Regas is that they are just about plug and play- there is no futzing around - put the deck on a flat surface, turn it on, play vinyl. No tweaking or messing around required (although you can if you want). As long as the cartridge is OK, they are foolproof.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

You could buy any one of those Rega's in the States new and pay in US dollars what you plan to pay in GB pounds. Only hitch would be converting the power supply. It would probably bugger up the speed etc. and/or be more of a hassle than it would be a savings. Check out Sonata in West Hampstead and price their Rega's. I believe they are the UK dealer for my shop over here.

Shines, also see my note about those plastic outer sleeves. I can pick some up for you at twenty cents each. If you think that is worthwhile drop me a line via PM.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: New turntable and record PLASTIC SLEEVES

Post by semisynthetic »

Shinesalight,

I am sorry that I didn't notice until this message that you were in the UK, that makes a huge difference.

Freight on everything is high, so I would visit my local shops or ask the internet supplier if they will
send you a "sample pack" of what they offer for 12" resealable sleeves, if they know that you are collecting and will be a repeat customer they are likely to give you more selections and better pricing; I never pay whatever the list price is unless I am buying in small amounts or I am buying from a new vendor for the 1st time;
but I would concentrate more on quality than $; longterm preservation using the right materials means years of enjoyment vs. short-term "I saved $10".
Big Deal.

Get the best that you can afford, you can always obtain "better" items as you are able; that is what I have done and that method has worked out well for me.

Ask for "Archival materials"- if for no other reason than you should be given a greater choice of items and options.

There is no One size fits all, experience by trial and error will get you there. :D

Polypropylene: crystal clear - does not stretch, won't give at all
Polyethylene: not as clear, but can stretch a bit if needed - HOWEVER -if the plastics are too tight, the recording contained can WARP. A little bit large is OK, but not so loose that your jackets are scarred or damaged.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Shinesalight wrote:Cheers Semisynthetic, I will make it a priority after work to get round to my girlrfiend's and re-stack my vinyl upright. Checked out that site you recommended but can't seem to find their shipping charges to the UK...bit concerned thats going to really up the cost. Checked a couple of items out on E-Bay and came up with the following:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-LP-12-SIN ... 483365a991

These are polypropylene as you recommended but is it or me or do the sleeves look much bigger than the record they have stored in it? The sleeve MUST be bigger than the jacket or it won't be large enough to contain it.
These chaps seem to be very popular on E-Bay UK:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SOUNDSWHOLESAL ... 4340.l2563

I glanced through these and didn't see any RESEALABLE SLEEVES listed; ask for them, the price difference is inconsequential; I've noticed over the years that a better grade, heavier gauge (Polyprop or Polyeth) and resealable are worth it.

and I was thinking of going for either these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-12-POLYTHE ... 45f03f835b

or these, which are much clearer/stronger, but also a lot more expensive:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-12-PVC-REC ... 45fb262d77
HAVE FUN; it takes a while and it takes an error or three to get it the way YOU want it; it is YOUR collection. Hope what I have offered is helpful to you.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Hello Shinesalight:

I took a longer look at the websites searching "12" re-sealable" polypropylene/polyethylene.
"Polythene" was returned on one site; this is a misnomer or a sloppy (perhaps w/ purposeful intent to NOT give clarity) nomenclature; so I before I purchased, I would ask for a sample of each type.

The reason is a simple one; "all resealable plastic sleeves are NOT created equal". Some have a strip of adhesive which is too easily pulled away; others have an adhesive which doesn't last as well. Many examples; that is why I originally recommended the US company before I realized you were in the UK.

If, in the course of use, a plastic fails in one of the ways I listed above (and in other ways as well), I simply replace it with a new one. So, if you need 120 plastics, order 200. (I order 1000 at a time of each of several sizes, types and properties; because the ULTIMATE GOAL here is protection of your recordings. I offer my experience, but of course it is YOUR collection. -semisynthetic
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Does this look like a potential good deal?:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGA-P3-TURNT ... 3a688bd859
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Hey Ads,

This is a nice one that you can upgrade as you go on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-LINN ... 500wt_1156

We have a Linn system and its pretty damn good.

B,

M
Design.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Hello Shinesalight,

I know I am biased about this, but since the turntable and stylus contained in the cartridge
ARE THE ONLY components that should ever touch your recordings, besides the gentle cleaning, let me copy something I wrote to you earlier:

"If you follow a few simple points CONSISTENTLY, your new aquisitions can give you years of superior sound.

Of course, the weakest link, in this case the lowest quality piece of sound equipment, will be the limiting factor in how well your system sounds; you can always improve the components of your system over time, you CANNOT ALWAYS REPLACE THE RECORDINGS AS EASILY
. You may end up with the system of your dreams, it would be unfortunate, and unnecessary to find that YOUR RECORDINGS would (now) be the weakest link by improper care".

With that in mind, why purchase a used turntable, for about $45.00? It does not seem to be adequate. If funding is a problem, save up for awhile, and obtain a better turntable.

I would suggest you only purchase a used item if you know that the person offering it wasn't simply 'disposing' of something for cash! MODLAB has listed an acceptable quality turntable, I believe his offering is far far better than an anonymous "bargain" which lists "without pitch control" in the ad!

I will simply suggest that whatever you decide upon, that you have some degree of certainty that the turntable and cartridge are either -NEW- or in such a condition that you can enjoy listening to your recordings without slowly degrading them each time they are played.

There will likely come a time when you will have amassed a number your favorite recordings, some may at that time have been long out of print, or difficult to find in the condition you would prefer; you should do your best to OBTAIN the BEST quality turntable/ cartridge combo that will make your present and future listening experiences pleasurable ones.

One last point from my own experience. 43 years ago I had a terrible system, so bad in fact, that I would buy used and I mean USED copies of what I liked to hear, and play them on this little system. Meanwhile, I purchased new, sealed recordings, usually in multiples, and rare out of print recordings that were in mint condition, and I did this for several years while I saved for a quality turntable and quality cartridge that would not damage the vinyl. During this time, I obtained a few better components. The idea was, and it worked out well, that I could enjoy my recordings without concern for their decrease in fidelity because of an inadequate turntable and stylus, which by their nature would have degraded the quality of the vinyl and hence, the sound quality. Recordings that I bought 43 years ago, and since, and waited for these copies to only be played on a turntable which would give great sound (for years, much better than my existing system could reproduce), and without degrading the vinyl can still be enjoyed on my finest turntable and "the system of MY dreams". Patience works.

I have seen too many recordings become unlistenable because of a lack of concern; I LOVE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC; NOT "REMNANTS of MUSIC" BURIED UNDER SANDPAPERED or PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY COVERED GOO!

:D Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose. :D
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

MODLAB wrote:Hey Ads,

This is a nice one that you can upgrade as you go on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-LINN ... 500wt_1156

We have a Linn system and its pretty damn good.

B,

M
That is an Axis Mark, not an LP12. AFAIK that has been discontinued for quite a while now, so I'm not sure about upgrading it. As for the "benefits" of upgrading, its great but f*cking expensive.

I've just invested in an LP12 with NAIM ARO arm and a Dynavector DVXX II cartridge :D , it sounds awesome :D , but it cost an arm and a leg :( and I can't maintain it myself, so there is the added expense of a dealer service every 12 months or so :cry: . The great thing about the Regas and entry level Pro-Jects is that they are essentially plug and play. There is no suspension etc to deal with.

However, if I were going to buy (another) Linn, then this one seems like a reasonable bet:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/linn-sondek-i ... 3a688a188c
I can't see it staying at that price though. I would expect that to cost well in excess of twelve hundred quid. Probably pick up only keeping the price down.
Shinesalight wrote:Does this look like a potential good deal?:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGA-P3-TURNT ... 3a688bd859
That looks like a really good price at the moment. That Sumiko Blue Point cartridge is great, so if it is in decent nick you are in business. I ran the Planar 3 (the model this one replaced) for years. Superb kit for the $$ and nigh-on bulletproof. Plonk it on top a Lack side table from Ikea (costs about a fiver I think) and you are sorted.

This might also be worth a look:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Planar-3 ... 3a6894beb1
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Hello Shinesalight;

You are getting a lot of help I think; a lot of useful info.
Can you not go to a local, privately owned shop, thus avoiding the problems of buying a used item that may be damaged in shipment? If you know just two things, you will be closer to the goal.

1). Which of the turntables you have seen meet your minimum requirements?

2). Do you have enough cash to cover your choice, (if the answer on the cash is "no") Can you save for awhile; OR can you pay a local dealer in installments for the new setup of your choice?

Most "mom and pop", privately owned or family owned stores that I have done business with, have and have shown a greater flexibility regarding the method of payment, unlike a chain store or one managed by a person with little interest in any more than quick sales and their salary.

Of course there are exceptions, but let me give you a real world example. A couple from whom I obtained the odd component or ordered a bit of special cable or (radio tubes) and such, had a fellow in their store one day, a young man who had most decidedly settled on a very nice 'starter' system. Of course, it was priced a bit over what he had in mind, but the couple made him a good deal, (I know what they paid, and they were essentially being very kind folks!) and in addition, they allowed him to work, and pay off the remainder of his debt without any extra interest.

The point is, a family owned store, (or a reasonable human being) can offer the type of flexibility and service, AND guarantees/warranties that "eBay" and "Wehrmacht Ruled Chainstores" cannot or will not, and with far less hassle.

A nonlinear approach to the solution of your problem, [obtaining the best turntable you can at this point], is a reasonable approach for your consideration, even if you ultimately obtain the component in a different manner.

(You can be a bit relieved you know; Olan and I, and no doubt others in this forum, have components that we depend upon professionals to service. I had my system checked in late June; I kept all but one cartridge in place, (the cartridge replaced had the stylus observed by a flexible "endoscopic" fibre-optic microscope (no need to remove the cartridge) and it presented with undeniable refractive anomolies which suggested the need for replacing that cartridge). It took 3 excellent, professional Audiophile techs 12 hours to clean, test, and double-check the settings and so on of my primary and secondary sound systems & video screens and various hook-ups; I didn't mind the 36 hour charge one bit; it was worth it; because after much consideration, I had already ordered, and they added, 2 more amps and 2 more speakers when these techs arrived; so Shinesalight, I too took my time and considered well before I splurged, and obtained my first choices. My system sounds better than ever, and I want you to be able to say the same.

(I hope that at least makes your problem seem easier to solve, and I hope you get what you want, listen to music and have a good time). :D
- semisynthetic.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

After seeing how much this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

this:-

and this:-

went for on E-Bay, and taking on board Semisynthetic's advice about buying 2nd hand, I think I'm now going to go for this (with the added bonus of getting some PVC protective covers thrown in):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP1-Turn ... 27bc636c7a

Though, I must admit, I'm still a bit dubious about having it delivered rather than picking it directly up from the shop. The trouble is, neither of the small, high-end hi-fi shops in Brighton have it in stock and I would have to wait a week or so for them to come back in. Am I right in thinking that in either case this turntable is good to go from the off with power & phono leads? :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:After seeing how much this:-

this:-

and this:-

went for on E-Bay, and taking on board Semisynthetic's advice about buying 2nd hand, I think I'm now going to go for this (with the added bonus of getting some PVC protective covers thrown in):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RP1-Turn ... 27bc636c7a

Though, I must admit, I'm still a bit dubious about having it delivered rather than picking it directly up from the shop. The trouble is, neither of the small, high-end hi-fi shops in Brighton have it in stock and I would have to wait a week or so for them to come back in. Am I right in thinking that in either case this turntable is good to go from the off with power & phono leads? :?
Wow, those were expensive!

The Regas have the phono leads wired directly to the tonearm and terminating in phono plugs, so that should not be an issue. My Planar 3 had a captive power lead terminating in a 3-pin plug, so that should be sorted too. I would contact the seller and ask whether the cartridge is fully set up. If so you're all set, if not, you've nothing to loose by asking the seller to set it up. As for shipping, my Planar 3 went into its carton, left Reading on the back of a truck, and after six weeks at sea, bowled up in Melbourne with all of our possessions. After a week or so sitting in its box while we sorted out an ungodly fucking mess, I unpacked it, changed the plug for an Aussie variety, plonked it on top of a rack, plugged it in and played a record without any issue whatsoever. The P1 is pretty similar to the old Planar 3 and, as such, is more or less bullet-proof. In short, don't stress about the shipping!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

acording to an article in the times vinyal is the only musical/dvd/film etc format that has increased in sales (aprox 55%). i just had delivered a small 7 disc set of the complete velvet's 60's singles including the two cancelled singles :D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

bunnyben wrote:acording to an article in the times vinyal is the only musical/dvd/film etc format that has increased in sales (aprox 55%). i just had delivered a small 7 disc set of the complete velvet's 60's singles including the two cancelled singles :D
That is a great set. I picked it up about six or eight weeks ago, along with the Quine Tapes in a vinyl box set; magnificent stuff. I had the Quine Tapes on CD, but almost never go near them now the vinyl is on hand.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Really enjoying this thread. Just gone back to vinyl myself and have borrowed an old Rega Planar 3 from a work colleague with a view to buying it off him. It's an old one from the '80s with the original RB200 tonearm which, from what I've read, is inferior to the later RB300 which everyone raves about. Not sure yet if I'll buy it or get something new, sounds great but I do worry about it being 25+ years old.

Anyway, something has been bugging me and wondered if anyone can help out. On the back left corner of the plinth there is this device, mounted on a holder. It has been stuck on to the plinth at some time after it was bought (it's not a feature of the Planar 3). I have no idea what its purpose is.... can anyone identify this and let me know what it should be used for??
Attachments
Photo 04-08-2011 19 43 57.jpeg
Photo 04-08-2011 19 43 57.jpeg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 30354 times

Post by bunnyben »

olan wrote:
bunnyben wrote:acording to an article in the times vinyal is the only musical/dvd/film etc format that has increased in sales (aprox 55%). i just had delivered a small 7 disc set of the complete velvet's 60's singles including the two cancelled singles :D
That is a great set. I picked it up about six or eight weeks ago, along with the Quine Tapes in a vinyl box set; magnificent stuff. I had the Quine Tapes on CD, but almost never go near them now the vinyl is on hand.
i had to give away my record player a few years ago as my flat has enough room for my bed and books. now i mostly buy records for the covers. although i cannot play them i still adore the attention to detail and the beauty of the large picture on the front.
this is probably my favorite cover

ah i have my dream (as i've mentioned before) of building a time machine and travelling back in time, learning french and marrying miss hardy. *sigh*
Attachments
album_Francoise-Hardy-La-maison-ou-jai-grandi_thumb.jpg
album_Francoise-Hardy-La-maison-ou-jai-grandi_thumb.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 30352 times
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Managed to get my local store to knock a few quid off a very recently opened up display model and I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Rega RP1. Blasted out a bit of the Mogwai special edition Hardcore Will Never Die LP earlier and it sounds great. I'm a very happy man indeed. And, just got back from my first ever drumming lesson which went pretty well. So, all in all, its been a pretty successful musical related day. Now, as I'm drumming kit-less, I've got to practice some beats by tapping them out on anything I find until next week's lesson...that's not going to annoy my mates too much is it?! :oops:

Thank you to every one on here for their advice and general words of wisdom.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Hello Shinesalight,

I am very happy for you; it is great, isn't it, to be able to walk in, use the turntable of your choice,
and enjoy the beauty and vibrancy of music of your choice. Fantastic!

Purchasing at the local store is, in my opinion, the way to go. Although most of my equipment DID originate
in the UK, Germany and Switzerland, the packing and preparation, and shipping containers were in themselves a feat
of engineering; of course these components were later tested and so on, but I much rather buy locally when it is possible.
Even though 70% or more of my primary setup equipment was NOT made in the US, the audiotechnicians and the people who own and run that business ARE of course local. The benefits of your choice are numerous, as you will learn, I'm sure.

And again, I'm very glad that you obtained what you had in mind. Good job.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

bunnyben wrote:
olan wrote:
i had to give away my record player a few years ago as my flat has enough room for my bed and books. now i mostly buy records for the covers. although i cannot play them i still adore the attention to detail and the beauty of the large picture on the front.

I too have purchased a great many recordings because of the art work; Even if the music is mediocre, the artwork is still good; if the music is GREAT, then it is a complete set in toto made wonderful!

I have been happier far more times than I have been disappointed. I also collect the "flats", the artwork layouts of the albums or cassette, or CD, etcetera, and the very best examples I have matted and framed; some are quite beautiful when the artwork alone, separated from their musical component, are made lovely to view on their own visual merit.

One of my favorites is a flat from Pink Floyd's "A Collection of Great Dance Songs", because along with the color chart borders, this specific example had an accidental overprint from a completely unrelated work; the effect is wonderful, as the overprint has a very large, sad face, crying red, as if blood. The overall product is stunning, and the artwork gives a different aspect to the artists of BOTH works cover art layouts.

(I also enjoy the Quinine tapes Box Set). I have the LP set(s) as well; very nice.
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Mr Shines... glad to hear your new vinyl obsession is working out well. out of interest, how does listening to the new Mogwai compare to the CD version. it's quite a 'CD sounding' sort of album if that makes sense?

good to hear the drumming lessons went well too.. if I could have one musical talent automatically inputted into my brain (Matrix-style) it would be to be a beast on the drums. they must be so difficult to learn though, and who has space for a drumkit, and more to the point, forgiving enough neighbours??
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Sighs, that Mogwai album sounds amazing....especially side C which has George Square Thatcher Death Party and How To Be a Werewolf on (love cranking up those 2 tracks!).

As for the drumming....got my second lesson tomorrow evening and I'm still a bit unsure of where its going to lead. I'm sure my girlfriend (nor her neighbours) are going to be that impressed with me investing in a drum kit. As it is...I've been practising on my Rock Band plastic drums this week with the homework my drum tutor gave me :oops: He has said that when/if I want to take it further, I can book rehersal time in the space where I have my lessons. We'll have to wait and see how I get on. Will keep you posted.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Rega Bias 2....my new found love! Not sure if they have only just made it over to the USA or if my shop just started carrying them. But, I needed a new cartridge and wanted the best I could get for less than $150. I also needed to keep in mind my table and didn't want to start adding washers etc. This cartridge came highly recommended and have to say that it sounds excellent.

Next time some of you need a cartridge replacement but don't want to spend hundreds...check this one out.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Bump.
redcloud wrote:Rega Bias 2....my new found love! Not sure if they have only just made it over to the USA or if my shop just started carrying them. But, I needed a new cartridge and wanted the best I could get for less than $150. I also needed to keep in mind my table and didn't want to start adding washers etc. This cartridge came highly recommended and have to say that it sounds excellent.

Next time some of you need a cartridge replacement but don't want to spend hundreds...check this one out.
Great recommendation!!! I just had the Bias 2 cartridge installed as part of the Rega RP1 Performance Pack upgrade (which also includes a better belt and mat). Wow, what an improvement in sound compared to the stock Ortofon 5e cartridge. The Bias 2 cartridge sounds amazing and was well worth the money. I'm so glad I didn't go the cheaper route with just upgrading the Ortofon 5e stylus to a 10 stylus.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Minky wrote: Great recommendation!!! I just had the Bias 2 cartridge installed as part of the Rega RP1 Performance Pack upgrade (which also includes a better belt and mat). Wow, what an improvement in sound compared to the stock Ortofon 5e cartridge.
Yea man, I have been real happy with mine too. I am on my second Bias 2 cartridge having replaced my first one in Sept or Oct. It gets better too as it "breaks in". By 36 hours of playing time it will be even warmer. :D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Minky wrote: Great recommendation!!! I just had the Bias 2 cartridge installed as part of the Rega RP1 Performance Pack upgrade (which also includes a better belt and mat). Wow, what an improvement in sound compared to the stock Ortofon 5e cartridge. The Bias 2 cartridge sounds amazing and was well worth the money. I'm so glad I didn't go the cheaper route with just upgrading the Ortofon 5e stylus to a 10 stylus.
Blimey, that's great to hear such positive thoughts about this. I was hoping to get the RP1 Performance Pack for Xmas...glad to hear it makes such a difference as I was a tad worried that it may be just a gimmick.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Quick question on the pack...did you take your turntables in to be fitted with it or did you do it yourself and, if so, how easy was it to do?

Also, while we're on the subject of steros.... I'm looking to perhaps upgrade my current system before our baby arrives in January (if not before :shock: ). I've currently got my Rega RP1 (without performance pack) running through a Rotel RA-930AX amplifier and some old Mission speakers from my Mum and Dad's hi-fi from the early 1980's. The sounds pretty great to be honest but I think the speakers are on their way out so it is these that I would look to upgrade first I reckon. Any recommendations?

I've a lot of good things about the Monitor Audio BX2's and Richer Sounds currently have a bundle offer with the Marantz PM6004 amp for £450. The Marantz amp has had very good write ups too. Even if I can't stretch to buying both at once, do you think the BX2's would still sound pretty decent running through my old Rotel amp? Basically I'm looking to get my Rega RP1 making the optimum sound without spending mega money.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

If you can wait for a new amp — I would go for the B&W 685. They have such a full sound,
you should be able to go to a good hi-fi place and try them out. Some will even let you
bring your own player etc.

Good Luck,

M
Design.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Shinesalight wrote:Quick question on the pack...did you take your turntables in to be fitted with it or did you do it yourself and, if so, how easy was it to do?
I took it to my local shop, it didn't cost anything extra to mount the cartridge.
Shinesalight wrote:Basically I'm looking to get my Rega RP1 making the optimum sound without spending mega money.
Definitely get the Performance pack first, you will notice the improvement in sound with the Bias 2. As I was told...start your upgrade at the source and then work your way from there.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Quick question on the pack...did you take your turntables in to be fitted with it or did you do it yourself and, if so, how easy was it to do?

Also, while we're on the subject of steros.... I'm looking to perhaps upgrade my current system before our baby arrives in January (if not before :shock: ). I've currently got my Rega RP1 (without performance pack) running through a Rotel RA-930AX amplifier and some old Mission speakers from my Mum and Dad's hi-fi from the early 1980's. The sounds pretty great to be honest but I think the speakers are on their way out so it is these that I would look to upgrade first I reckon. Any recommendations?

I've a lot of good things about the Monitor Audio BX2's and Richer Sounds currently have a bundle offer with the Marantz PM6004 amp for £450. The Marantz amp has had very good write ups too. Even if I can't stretch to buying both at once, do you think the BX2's would still sound pretty decent running through my old Rotel amp? Basically I'm looking to get my Rega RP1 making the optimum sound without spending mega money.
I would agree with the proposition that once your source is sorted to your satisfaction, then the next place to shell out is the loudspeaker. I'm embarrassed to say that I own three sets of loudspeakers! Anyway, I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX1 bookshelf speakers driven by a Naim UnitiQute streamer/amp in my kitchen. These speakers are available for £160ish now and are a stone cold bargain (as long as you are not offended by vinyl wrap rather than proper wood veneer). The B&W 685s Mark mentions are selling at £450 odd new, which is a hefty price for a bookshelf monitor. I will own up to the fact that I am not a fan of B&W, so personally, if I were spending £450+ on a pair of bookshelf speakers then I would choose Neat Iotas (which cost a bit more still).

Having said all this, that Marantz amplifier is fairly good. My older sister uses one with a Marantz NA 7004 streamer and a pair of Neat Motive 2Se speakers. Right old mullet of a system (£500 worth of electronics driving £1200 floorstanding speakers) but it sounds great. At £450 with the MA BX2s it sounds like good VFM, but google tells me that Ritcher Sounds are not the only people offering bundles on that amp....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:QBasically I'm looking to get my Rega RP1 making the optimum sound without spending mega money.
I used to have an Arkam amp but now have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A. I loved my Arkam but they are REALLY expensive in the USA. I've been very happy with my CA Azur 640. You will need to get a phono pre-amp for it though as there is no built in phono jack.

I have a pair of KEF Concerto One speakers, which I have had for a while now. Again, nothing overly flashy but they sound great and can rock when I ask them to.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

When I have helped a friend, or a friend's, friend get BACK to vinyl, and improve their system, I like to go to a high end Audiophile store; not because I expect them to shell out 100K, but so they can hear the difference between TYPES of systems; and once the budget is discussed, go with the idea of building a system over time; as nice a turntable as they can afford, with a cartridge that will give quality sound and preserve their recordings; and choose the type of amp that THEY prefer; many people like the sound that tubes can give, others, not; and little by little, and over time, a really nice system within their budget can be attained.

I ask them to have a sort of "standard" to use to compare; "King Crimson" selections can be a good choice because of the variety and types of sound, but of course, we could think of a 1000 good choices. Anyway, it makes comparing a bit easier when you have one or two "standard" pieces to use for this purpose.

No doubt we each have a method or methods that seem to work for us.
Paracelsus
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Nevermind King Crimson, I've had a demo when upgrading twice (20 years apart) and both times they insisted on playing Sade's Smooth Operator!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

AHA! Smooth Operating Indeed :D .

(Another) 1 of at least 1000; Janacek's "From the House of the Dead" and Mozart (various) have been on my list;
along with Test Pressings of Talking Heads; "Remain in Light";
and the 7" (mono) of Barrett's "Flaming";
(All were used when the dealership brought out my final table/cartridge-type choices).

It would be interesting to see what others have used as their favorite 'TEST RECORDING".
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I always bring D'Angelo's Voodoo. If a speaker/ amp/ headphone can get a good clear bassline out of that one, it's good stuff :wink:
And Pet Sounds for the vocals.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

PET SOUNDS!

Another Great Choice;
their Harmonies are still just fantastic;
I purchased a (spare) original [sealed] copy in 2007; I am saving it like champagne! I also purchased the re-release, but I tend to obtain at a faster rate than I can listen! Maybe this year, I will work less, and listen more.

An early "Beach Boys Live" w/ "Lets go Trippin' " variant is another great record; it was recorded very well and does create a sense of depth and that "LIVE" sound that so many other "LIVE" LP's do not, especially from that earlier era.

"Deep Night" described as a "Female Octect w/ Orchestra - Voodoo Waltz" 1927 78rpm; (maybe not a "Sound Standard"), but very eerie! Another variant version by another musician (of a song originally written by Rudy Valle'). Nice and Weird.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Blimey, changing a cartridge on a record player isn't all that easy is it?! :shock: :? Especially after 10 days of sleepless nights and being crap at fiddly jobs at the best of times. I just never ended up with time to take my record player in over the festive period for my Rega performance pack to be installed. So, stupidly, I've just attempted to do it myself while trying to keep on eye on my son while my other has gone up to bed to recharge her batteries.

Anyway, I got there after over an hour and half of a total nightmare. So, what record did I choose to christen the newly updated turntable?

I plumped for Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. And what a difference the new cartridge and drive belt have made. I'm currently listening to Hey Jane through my Sennheiser HD558's and the clarity, warmth and vibrancy is just wonderful. Can't wait to test it all out blasting through the speakers once Mrs Shines and baby Dylan decide to go out for a walk at some point. Well pleased with this upgrade :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Nice job Shines. I tend to box my turntable up and take it down to the shop where I bought it. I leave it with them for a couple hours and they put a new cartridge on and balance everything for me. When I go back I always bring an LP with me. Last time it was Spirit's first LP. I chose it because there is some hard rock, acoustic and some jazzy sections on the LP. Thing is though when I do this at the shop it may be my turntable but it is all connected to their amps/speakers through mega expensive cables in a specially designed well padded/acoustic room. Hardly a true representation of how it may sound in my house with hardwood floors on my amp/speakers/cables. But, it's all good.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Yeah Shines; Great Work.

I'm w/ redcloud though; after replacement with (3) Exceptional Cartridges; the Audio guys came out and did their "micrometer" PLUS Best, and tuned up the entire works.

This last year was too busy; I have much listening to catch up on; so, this year, I've decided, less work, and have more fun.

The "Spirit" (1st LP) is yet another GREAT "Sound Test" recording to add to the list.
Paracelsus
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Alright, this isn't relevant for me quite yet, but since it will be in 6 months or so, I figure I might as well get a head start into figuring out what I will do -

Have any of you guys moved a record collection? I'm going to be going off to college come August, and this is what's on my mind... moving from LA-->Cambridge MA. I could leave 'em in LA, but... a year without records? Shit... that sounds awful... not really, this is a very good problem to have and I feel fortunate that this is the type of thing on my mind, but still... my records are my only "possessions" that I care about (well I guess my books too, but I don't need to bring most of those) and the only things besides clothing/my bass guitar that I plan on bringing... and plus, I definitely plan on continuing radio stuff... So yeah, the question is... how do you transport any decently sized record collection 3000 or so miles? Obviously not a pressing issue, just what I was thinking about.

It seems to me like there are two main options 1) driving - the big con I would foresee is long drives in the summer heat... that's scary with records in the trunk....

2) shipping - this seems like it would get REALLY expensive, but I could be wrong... and anyways, how would you actually ship them? In big hardshell roadie cases or something like that? Would you have to worry about them bouncing around/getting damaged? I just don't know, I've never done this.

I guess a third option would just be taking them in hardshell cases on the plane?

For that matter, turntable - I have a pretty... budget.... turntable that I've had for a while now and never upgraded... without an actual consistent source of income, it's really hard for me to save enough money to get a nice turntable because as soon as I have any I usually just go buy records... I'm wondering if it would be possible to disassemble it and ship it, or if it would be better to just get another cheapish turntable in Boston... maybe actually go on eBay or craigslist and actually find an old one that is good and cheap as opposed to just being a naive teenager and getting the not-so-great Audio Technica LP60 (I know, I know, but fuck it it gets the job done...)... for a long time I was actually using my bass amp (!!!) as my preamp... even though the ATLP60 had one built in... I have an actual preamp now (ART DJ Pre II - not a huge fan but its a step up), but I still think the bass amp was better...

So yeah, I have a pretty cheap/poor setup, but it gets the job done... I know I might be doing my records a disservice, but oh well I am a student and never seem to have a large amount of disposable income... I should probably work on saving though. Second semester I should get a job or something. But yeah, part of what makes doing stuff w/ dublab so fun is actually getting to use an awesome stereo system...

On a side note, do you know of any phono preamps that are designed for creating a line-level signal particularly suited for headphones? I have a feeling that speakers won't really be an option in a dorm room. Obviously pretty much any preamp would do since all you need is an 1/8" or 3.5mm jack, but I'm wondering if there is anything that is designed specifically with headphones in mind.

Not pressing at all but I was thinking about this today...

I guess I am just asking if any of you guys have experience with this stuff/if those experiences have been positive/negative/etc
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hofstadter,

We have moved from UK to Australia and back again with no damage to vinyl or record players. The real issue with LPs is the obvious one: weight. We used small book cartons and put 30-40 LPs in each, standing vertically. Pack out any remaining space to the sides of the records with clothes so that the vinyl is firmly held in place, but not squashed. I put a thick layer of paper below and above the records to preserve the sleeves and that was it. As long as the records can't move about, and are shielded from horizontal impact they'll be fine. Moving a record player is far more hassle unless you have the packaging. eBay, or the local thrift stores etc are your friends here.

As for a cheap phono stage that will drive a headphone amp, try a Bellari VP129:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... amplifier/
I used one with a Rega Planar 3 and Ortofon MM cartridge with great results. They are $200 new which is quite good value for money, but you should be able to get a good one from eBay for far less money.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I too have moved my records several times. I moved a couple times from state to state but the biggest move was New York to London and then again from London to Portland. As with Olan, it's not a difficult thing to do as long as you pack them correctly. Movers boxes are the strongest. Using the smaller book ones are perfect as they are built to take the weight. But do not make the school boy mistake I once did....I packed the boxes tight so there may have been 100 or more records in the box making it super heavy. Olan's suggestion of half that and then stuffing the remaining empty space with newspaper or clothes is far better.

If you don't have your record player's box it came in you can also tape the tone arm down, tape the lid and wrap it very well in padding. Once you get to Cambridge you can find a decent stereo shop that know and understand record players and have them adjust/balance it for you. I have done that a couple times too.

Are you renting a U-Haul and making a road trip out of it? That could make for a great summer trip and a hell of a lot of fun!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I've moved records a number of times so I have to ask, do you really need to bring them? Might seem like sacrilege I know but I found I just played the same few while acquiring new ones along the way, leaving a large chunk of what I brought unplayed. Seems to me that unless they're essential you'd be better off bringing cd's/mp3s.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote: I have to ask, do you really need to bring them?
:shock:

It seems inconceivable to me to not take your records. Take them all (even the crap ones)!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:

It seems inconceivable to me to not take your records. Take them all (even the crap ones)!
Haha yeah... it might not be anathema, but it would certainly feel like it... :roll: Plus I definitely am going to be involved with radio business there, and that's my favorite part of having records/doing radio stuff...

Thanks for the tips guys. It sounds like doing a cross-country trip with my dad might be in order... maybe not a uhaul since I can't expect I'll have that much stuff, but it might be good for the two of us to do something like that together a la Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance... hopefully my dad doesn't turn out to have a completely alternate personality :lol:

Or maybe with some friends if any end up going to school in similar areas... then a uhaul might be in order... that would be a wild/fun trip...
Bellari VP129
I've actually heard someone mention this before, raving about it... do you think it makes more sense to put in for something like that, or put that money towards stepping up in the turntable business? (regardless, I don't have the money right now, but I'm going to try to start saving...)

I've heard if going the route of the new turntable as opposed to scouting for old stuff, the Music Hall 1/Music Hall 2.2 are pretty nice? Not that I can get either right at the moment, but do any of you know much about them? I don't like researching over at Head-Fi, it seems like everything is good or the analyses mean nothing to me...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Hofstadter wrote:
redcloud wrote:

Haha yeah... it might not be anathema, but it would certainly feel like it... :roll: Plus I definitely am going to be involved with radio business there, and that's my favorite part of having records/doing radio stuff...

Thanks for the tips guys. It sounds like doing a cross-country trip with my dad might be in order... maybe not a uhaul since I can't expect I'll have that much stuff, but it might be good for the two of us to do something like that together a la Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance... hopefully my dad doesn't turn out to have a completely alternate personality :lol:

Or maybe with some friends if any end up going to school in similar areas... then a uhaul might be in order... that would be a wild/fun trip...
Bellari VP129
I've actually heard someone mention this before, raving about it... do you think it makes more sense to put in for something like that, or put that money towards stepping up in the turntable business? (regardless, I don't have the money right now, but I'm going to try to start saving...)

I've heard if going the route of the new turntable as opposed to scouting for old stuff, the Music Hall 1/Music Hall 2.2 are pretty nice? Not that I can get either right at the moment, but do any of you know much about them? I don't like researching over at Head-Fi, it seems like everything is good or the analyses mean nothing to me...
An old bastard speaks: I could not think of travelling anywhere for a serious period of time with taking my LPs with me. The iPod and portable HDDs have helped, but 6-12 months without my records would be catastrophic....

As for the Music Hall turntables, I really don't know them as they are not marketed in Europe. When I went off to University (we are talking decades ago now,....last century Young Man) I bought myself a cheap integrated amp, a decent turntable and a pair of speakers (CD players were still a luxury item back then). The record player (a Rega Planar 3) stayed with me for 18 years. The amp and speakers got regularly upgraded as and when funds allowed. With vinyl, it used to be that Source First was the mantra. Buy a decent deck (the best you can not really afford 8) ) and supplement it with a half decent amp and speakers. I would buy second hand if possible as e.g. a second hand Rega Planar (or equivalent) will cost £150 ish and will run rings around the best new decks costing the same money. You can get a cheap amp with a built in phonostage, and improve on it when funds permit or you feel the need, but a cheap t/t is a bit of a false economy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Olan and I come from the same mold. Not only could I not live without my LP's but I also agree on Rega turntables. You can't beat them. I have always preferred British made stereo equipment for its warmth but the Rega has a tonearm that blows most decks away. Even their entry level deck (RP1), which starts around $350 in the USA will sound better than most turntables costing twice that. You can also go straight for the Performance Pack, which a few have talked about in this thread. It gives you a better belt, better felt mat and a significant upgrade in cartridge. Quite honestly, I don't know of a better turntable for the money.

But, if you can afford a bit higher you can also go for either the RP2 or 3 (they even have higher models that begin to get pretty crazy money). The RP2 or 3 may be a bit pricey but it will probably last you for many years. Again, it's hard to beat Rega and most competitors are probably modeling their tonearms after the Rega.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:

Just so it's clear, I wasn't suggesting selling them (not that you suggested I said that) that would be completely nuts! But Hofstadter is a young man and it's quite conceivable he'll be back over on the West coast after a few short years so why not leave a few at his folks? I guess a lot depends on the size of your collection too. At Hofstsatder's age I would have brought everything with me but now I've got to know i'm going to be living somewhere for a few years before my vinyl gets retrieved from my mum's! :lol: Just my tuppence worth....

Haven't a clue about stereo set ups or anything like that so can't help there i'm afraid.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The RP3 is a much newer deck than the Rega Planar 3 which it replaced. I believe the arm in the RP3 is much better. I don't know anything about the RP1, RP2 or RP3. I do know that the technology is very similar. I used to move country annually in my former career. I could pick my RP3 up, shove it in its box, ship it to the next apartment/city/country, unbox it and it would play perfectly. This was not the case with the T/T I really wanted to use (Linn LP12) which needed to be set up by a dealer each time. Needless to say I sold the LP12 as there was too much faffing about. I inherited another LP12 and some really nice amps and speakers few years back, so I sold the Rega, which was a really fucking dumb thing to do....... :roll:

My original point was not to buy a Rega, but to look into the availability of second hand gear.......
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Olan makes a great point regarding 2nd hand equipment;

For whatever strange reason, several of my "musical aquaintances" buy very good quality components, but are seemingly never satisfied, and trade in their top line stuff; but in Retail, "used is used", and I have seen (essentially) new, high-end equipment, at incredibly reasonable prices; why not have them double-check the working order, at least ask for "x" months warranty, and do well in that manner. It is worth the effort, since the better equipment is usually made to last much longer than many people, (NOT ME), keep it. I do tend to replace cartridges, or change stylii, but the equipment I buy, I KEEP.

And I agreed with redcloud IMMEDIATELY; I cannot imagine disposing of my discs like paper plates!

BagsUnlimited.com sells good quality boxes with fitting lids that hold 40 or so LP's, maybe more; and they stack well;
so if you have recordings worth the releatively small investment to preserve them, I suggest you do. These boxes are great for storing your LP's (and 10", 7" discs as well), as all sizes up to 16" LP's, I believe, are sold there; I have been buying from them for many years
. I hope this helps you in some way.
Paracelsus