No votes
6. All of the answers 2-5?
90%

Total votes: 10

runcible
Site Admin

Carlos Tevez - opinions?

Post by runcible »

There is so much talk about 'player power' in football and last night Carlos Tevez showed why this can be a bad thing.

The fact that one of the highest paid footballers in the whole world (I think Samuel Eto earns more but that's about it), on £240,000 per week, can refuse to go onto the pitch because he is having a hissy fit over being on the bench has to be bad for football. It illustrates why, despite being unable to get rid of the football bug, I loathe the sport so much. These overpaid wankers think they are bigger than their manager and club. Tevez, great player no doubt, has shown himself to be a jumped up arsehole that no club in their right mind should sign. If justice were done Man City should let his contract run out and then no club signs him so he can't squeeze any more money out of the sport he has shat on. He earns in a week what most people do in ten years. The fact he is now trying to say it was a 'misunderstanding' shows he's even more stupid than everyone thought he was.

I wonder what percentage of their wages Man City fans spent on getting to Munich to watch that game and then see one of their heroes behave so deplorably. I hope they boo him if he plays for them again.

What other insult haven't I used? Oh - tosser. That'll do, except it's slightly insulting to 'tossers'.
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Carlos Tevez - opinions?

Post by bunnyben »

he's a dick. kick him out of the squad and make him clean toilets and seats etc until the end of his contract and everytime he complains fine him. if they release him on a free he'll go else where and get paid a lot of money and no one wants to pay for him (as the summer transfer window showed) and anyway he's old news, kun is the new star and teves can't even get into the argentina squad now, ah didums
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

from the bbc

"Samuel Eto'o's reported salary at Anzhi equates to £167,825 per week "

Other top earners in sport include Ferrari F1 driver Fernando Alonso, who earns an estimated £499,936 per week
New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez earns around £321,221 per week.

"The project is very interesting - money is not so important for me" - Samuel Eto'o

bs

but all in all DULL DULL DREADFULLY DULL, TEDIOUS (monty python) i now only really follow leicester and the global game (south america, the states and mainland europe). the premiership and the england team are just tedious now money n bitching
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Selfish twat!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

bunnyben wrote:fr
New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez earns around £321,221 per week.
Alex Rodriguez's salary equals nearly 2/3 of the entire Cleveland Indians payroll (and he is only $3,000 away from earning more than the entire Kansas City Royals payroll). This is sickening! Soaring salaries means soaring ticket prices. Attending pro sporting events are fast becoming hobbies for the rich only.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

All the more reason the HATE the Yankees. :evil:
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Mr. Tevez, you are a twat!

Thank you,

M
Design.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

MODLAB wrote:Mr. Tevez, you are a twat!

Thank you,

M
and now he's denying it. what a moron! everyone lies but him...precious lil flower...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

He's been suspended by the club - rightly so - as you may have read. Apparently he took himself off to play golf yesterday but didn't book a tee time so wasn't allowed to play and had to leave. Nice irony!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Season after season there is always a new scandal, a new show of clear breach of ethically wrong morals on a players part, and each time it becomes more sensational. Go back over the last five seasons and I'm sure you'll come up with several names. I can't remember the exact details but a similar thing happened at Wolves with a player refusing to play for the club again and I think he went to Wigan in the end. Slapping in a transfer request when you're head gets turned is one thing (and over the line in my opinion) but what Teves did is another. Nothing will ever shock me in the game that is now beyond the realms of enjoyment and luckily I can watch it, like Teves, from the sidelines without being bothered about it. Signing Teves when he did and then getting rid of him could possibly be some of the best business Sir Alex has done. 
What more can the heart of a man desire?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Simon Barnes Chief Sports Writer
Last updated September 30 2011 12:00AM

If a man is paid a quarter of a million pounds a week to play football, you’d have thought that the least he could do was to play football. But no, apparently not. It seems that the playing football part of a professional footballer’s life is optional.

Of course, he’ll get away with it. He’ll even prosper from it. A doctor who refuses to attend the sick is struck off, a priest who refuses to administer the sacraments is unfrocked, a soldier who refuses to fight is shot. But Carlos Tévez, the footballer who refused to play football, will just go on to the next multimillion-pound job and, if he’s in the mood, play football now and again.

And if the behaviour of the individual is grotesque beyond belief, we must look at the system that makes such behaviour not so much possible as inevitable.

Manchester City are running scared. You’d have thought that a footballer refusing to play football was about as far in the wrong as he possibly could be, but no. There are things like money and lawyers waiting to pounce. The Manchester City statement is a treasure all on its own, referring as it does to “a review into his alleged conduct”. Why the terror-stricken “alleged”? Whatever Tévez did or did not do during the match away to Bayern Munich on Tuesday night — and the player himself says he only declined to warm up, not to play — he certainly conducted himself. The word is an admission that even after an act that negates the very principles on which he was hired, the power remains in the hands of the player.

He can’t be thrown out of Manchester City because he cost them fifty million quid, and besides, the more you play down the incident, the more money you will salvage from the wreckage. He won’t be thrown out of football because he’s worth money to whoever hires him next. No matter how dreadful you are as a human being and no matter how long your list of crimes, if you can play football well enough, someone will give you colossal amounts of money. Call that Joey Barton’s Law.

Tévez can play football. More than that, he can score goals. He can’t lose. His career has been a testimony to football’s basic moral premise: if you can score goals, we’ll put up with anything and make you rich.

Even the name Tévez is a testament to the man’s taste for contention. Tévez, born Carlos Alberto Martínez, took his mother’s name during a dispute between Boca Juniors and All Boys in Argentina. Later, he joined Corinthians in Brazil; later still, he refused to play for Corinthians.

Then he went to West Ham United. At this stage Tévez was a man who did not actually own all of himself, much in the manner of Doctor Faustus. He was owned, at least in part, by Kia Joorabchian. As a result of these complications, West Ham were fined £5.5 million. They had been inclined to skip the legal technicalities for the sake of the goals. Sheffield United, relegated when West Ham stayed up thanks to the goals scored by the illegal Tévez, then successfully sued West Ham for £20 million.

But Tévez himself marches on. He is the Buster Keaton of football, wandering about with a bemused expression as buildings topple and crash all around him, utterly convinced that the destruction and dismay has nothing to do with him.

He went to Manchester United, where he played without a permanent contract. Eventually he was offered one, and he used it as leverage for his eye-watering deal to play, when in the mood, for Manchester City. Now for the next step: he will leave Manchester City in January and they will lose a lot of money, but not as much as if they sacked him. Some other club wanting a quick fix will buy him.

And so it will continue until he is too old to score goals for expensive football clubs, and he will retire with his millions and say, with justified satisfaction, I played the entire sport of football for a fool and won.

Should we blame Tévez, though? Silly question. Of course we should. But Tévez is not the problem, Tévez is the symptom. Something is rotten in the state of football and we should be grateful to Tévez for showing us what.

Tévez has made a career of being a rich man’s plaything. He is a sort of poule de luxe, believing that there ain’t nuffing wrong with that, s’long as a girl gets a fair rate for the job. But Tévez has put a twist in the traditional role: he is a poule de luxe who has a headache whenever he fancies it, or rather, doesn’t fancy it.

The hyperinflation of football has changed the landscape of the game. The game is played by the laws of economics rather than sport, which means that Tévez will remain a footballer for as long as he is putting desirable goods in the marketplace.

Rich men can choose to show how wise they are, or how smart they are, or how generous they are, or how good they are. But that’s too complicated for some of them. Football gives you the most marvellous opportunity to show the world how rich you are, and football is full of rich men who have seized this opportunity with glee.

The money in football means that a footballer’s ambitions have changed. Any talented footballer can make enough money in a year to live in comfort for a lifetime. It takes an exceptional person to want more than that. Why take the hard road that leads to excellence? Change clubs once again, sell your competence for a high price and always remember that you can’t put excellence in the bank.

In the Premier League, the richest clubs are desperate to stay among the Champions League elite while the lesser clubs are desperate to avoid relegation. These opposing desperations are driven by finance. Inevitably, then, cup competitions are no longer serious spectacles.

International football is being relegated to the same level. Playing for England is a sideshow, a distraction from important business. You need to be an England player for profile and salary and image rights, but the actual matches are the most frightful bore. The England players made that quite clear during the 2010 World Cup.

But it’s not just the rich owners, it’s not just the lawyers and the agents and it’s not just the footballers who make this grotesque world possible. It’s also you and me. If we go to matches, if we watch it on television, if we listen to it on the radio, if we read about it in newspapers, if we click football on the net, we are part of it. Tévez couldn’t do it without us.

How nice it would be if we could do something about it: sack Tévez for all time and restore the England team as the most important thing in the national game. But we just keep on watching and, as we do so, football changes from something we like into something we like a good deal less.

I’m reminded of the old joke Woody Allen tells: my brother thinks he’s a chicken. Well, why don’t you turn him in? I would — but I need the eggs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Spot on. The bottom line is it's all about money. Who are the most important people in football? The players? The managers? No - the fans. Football wouldn't exist without them. And who is getting screwed by wankers such as Tevez? The fans again. I really genuinely wish I could locate the switch inside me that makes me follow football and turn it off.

I didn't see the sort of attitude Tevez has shown in the England Scotland rugby game today. Or the South Africa Samoa match yesterday. Talk about grit and dedication. It might not have been pretty but those players gave more than Tevez could ever even think of.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think the USA is way ahead of the curve realizing its all about money with professsional athletes. This was made clear decades ago here.
What Tevez did is pretty damning. It happens in NBA Basketball occasionally. Or at least its made public occasionally.
Malingerers are another story. Guys who continually sign big contracts and often are "too injured" to play.
Or players who sign huge contracts and all of a sudden the burning desire for their team to win is gone. Because they personally won, monetarily speaking.
I can only recall one player who effectively stopped trying and faked injuries to get either let go or traded. Manny Ramirez. A baseball player with incredible ability but a few cards short of a full deck. Manny is also banned from baseball for using perfomance enhancing drugs....twice.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ramirez is a twig n berries. Nobody likes that guy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I th
I can only recall one player who effectively stopped trying and faked injuries to get either let go or traded.
Braylon Edwards did that too....he forgot how to catch the ball in hopes he would be traded from the Cleveland Browns. Footballs would literally be in his hands and somehow they would amazingly and shockingly fall out or slip through the fingertips. He eventually got his wish and was shipped off to the NY Jets and as expected he very quickly remembered how to catch the ball. What an asshole.

It seems somebody in NY didn't like him either as he is now playing with San Francisco.

When the Browns play the 49ers in three weeks I really hope our young cornerback (Joe Haden) shuts Edwards down and burns him for an interception.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:
I didn't see the sort of attitude Tevez has shown in the England Scotland rugby game today. Or the South Africa Samoa match yesterday. Talk about grit and dedication. It might not have been pretty but those players gave more than Tevez could ever even think of.
Not trying to turn it into a rugby vs football debate but you're right. And there's some massive matches taking place this weekend. I'm already getting twitchy.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Shaun wrote:
runcible wrote:
Not trying to turn it into a rugby vs football debate but you're right. And there's some massive matches taking place this weekend. I'm already getting twitchy.
football players are twats and rugby players over adrenalineised morons- i still don't get how you can try to gouge someone's eye out and accept it as a everyday srcum occurence. baffles me
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

bunnyben wrote:football players are twats and rugby players over adrenalineised morons- i still don't get how you can try to gouge someone's eye out and accept it as a everyday srcum occurence. baffles me
Fortunately stuff like that is not seen as often as people think. If it happens it tends to be spotted either at the time or after. The issue is the passion with which many of the players go into games with. The point Simon Barnes made about the lack of respect given to playing for your country in football sums it up. The game is about money and with money the generally unintelligent players regard themselves as important and that's where the problems come in. Sadly just as when you see badly behaved kids you tend to look at the parents it's true with football as the people who run it have done so in the most grotesquely incompetent manner - that has steadily brought us to the situation we now find ourselves in.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to watch the football at present. The chanting at the Arsenal/Spurs match on the weekend was pretty rancid (slurs on Wenger vs slurs on Adebayor). The all time low for this stuff for me was a period when an "Everton are White" chant stopped me going to see the club I've supported all my life, but the stuff on the weekend was just horrible (and not just at Spurs/Arenal). So far this season, I have seen some of the best football in yonks (sadly, mostly out of Manchester) but in general I'm enjoying the game a lot less becase of the shite chants, sly cheating (no names needed here) and shite refereeing (yes I'm a Blue and I'm talking about that "decision").

Rant over and apologies to Liverpool fans.....I'm not trolling.
bisonheed
Known user

Post by bisonheed »

The Premier League is a great watch but its all too Americanized now (see that 'z' I through in there?...)

Money and cameras have ruined a perfectly splendid way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

As a Scottish footie fan, its painful to see our crowds and skill level are simply not up to anything down south, possibly League 1 teams at present. But, I will continue to follow Stirling Albion in probably yet another relegation battle.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mr tevez's representative has given a point by point interview for 5 live. he open's by saying he won't interfere with the investigation and then goes through point by point- shows a character reference from about ten years ago. but the good news is it is all sorted out- who is to blame? why the interpreter of course. the fact mr tevez has thrown hissy fits at every club he has been at (bar west ham as he wasn't there long enough and was still a big fish) and the fact the argentinian press are fed up with him for disrupting the confederations cup half way through as he felt that he wasn't entirely happy with something or other no one knows about and the fact that he has never bothered to learn the language of whichever country he is playing in are blatantly irrelevant. the key thing here is that the guy who is atleast bi-lingual and is hired by a big company to handle delicate matters cannot do his job properly and is not worthy to be earning the money that he does (i'm talking about the interpreter ofcourse...). i hope his contract is cancelled and he is fined for bringing the game into disrepute...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

wayne rooney- multimillionaire. rooney's father- allegedly helps betting fixes. etc.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

bunnyben wrote:wayne rooney- multimillionaire. rooney's father- allegedly helps betting fixes. etc.
...and Rooney's dad was arrested in a betting scam involving money placed on a player being sent off.

In Rooney's very next match he is himself sent off. You really couldn't make this stuff up - it's football soap opera for complete idiots. Maybe his dad is the only man genuinely smiling tonight as perhaps he made a few quid.

Chavs plus money = premier league footballers.

When I think of the shit Beckham put up with after the 1998 World Cup, yet Rooney somehow dodges the equivalent. I can't find an explanation for that.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
bunnyben wrote:wayne rooney- multimillionaire. rooney's father- allegedly helps betting fixes. etc.
...and Rooney's dad was arrested in a betting scam involving money placed on a player being sent off.

In Rooney's very next match he is himself sent off. You really couldn't make this stuff up - it's football soap opera for complete idiots. Maybe his dad is the only man genuinely smiling tonight as perhaps he made a few quid.

Chavs plus money = premier league footballers.

When I think of the shit Beckham put up with after the 1998 World Cup, yet Rooney somehow dodges the equivalent. I can't find an explanation for that.
it's obvious, beckham wore a sarong and didn't care if he was a gay icon...

as for your equation :lol: :lol: :lol: indeed
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Athletic Club Bilbao...for anyone who wishes to follow a team that is reliant on youth, omits foreigners and actually plays some very good football. Athletic, Athletic, eup!

They have some of the most exciting young prospects in Spain at the minute; Munian, De Marcos, Herrera etc
Let's hope they stick around to fulfil the potential under Bielsa
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Guessed wrote:Athletic Club Bilbao...for anyone who wishes to follow a team that is reliant on youth, omits foreigners and actually plays some very good football. Athletic, Athletic, eup!

They have some of the most exciting young prospects in Spain at the minute; Munian, De Marcos, Herrera etc
Let's hope they stick around to fulfil the potential under Bielsa
hitler's wet dream :lol: :lol: :roll:
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Ha...Hitler...an ideas man!

On an unbeaten run of 10 games at the minute...should've done Barca last weekend but nevermind.
Going to head out there in the New Year and take in a game at the Cathedral plus Guggenheim and see if my senorita has pitched up yet

B,
S.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Oh and back on topic...where is James Travis? He'd be the best placed fella to offer opinion.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Why always me?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Anyway for the record...

I think the guy is a moron. He has conducted himself in a terrible way and tried to make us look bad also at times.

I would say though, I have no bad feeling towards him wanting to leave and be closer to his family. I can also see why you would become a complete prick on some days because of this. There is nothing worse than being away from your love and if that is the real reason for his troubles, I feel for the guy and the spotlight on him.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I don't think you can put it down to "missing loved ones" for being a dick... he could have went back home at various points over the years... he has always been a very highly paid and sought after player that could have moved home to play to be nearer his family. He appears to have chosen not to so he could milk the stupid money teams have paid him for as long as possible regardless of who he upsets. He's a mercenary; plays for the highest bidder, but with no loyalty...

I so wish the bubble would burst and football came back down to reality... not any time soon i fear tho....
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

...he was in argentina for the coppa america and still moaned and bitched about everything...just saying...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe this is about family because he was fucking around when he first came to city and it's his fault they pissed off. Plus, they're back in Manchester not anyway. I'm just saying that if it really was the reason he started this shite, I'd feel for his situation.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bottom line is the guy is a complete wanker. Even the PFA have trouble arguing with that.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

How about this for a quote from the PFA: "He's a footballer and, like the Fleetwood Mac song, players only love you when they're playing and he needs to be playing."
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:How about this for a quote from the PFA: "He's a footballer and, like the Fleetwood Mac song, players only love you when they're playing and he needs to be playing."
They supported him very respectfully and he shat all over them as well. I really wish a stand could be taken and he's just left out to dry and no one employs him.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

runcible wrote:
James T wrote:How about this for a quote from the PFA: "He's a footballer and, like the Fleetwood Mac song, players only love you when they're playing and he needs to be playing."
They supported him very respectfully and he shat all over them as well. I really wish a stand could be taken and he's just left out to dry and no one employs him.
yeah, i didn't like how they supported him. graham taylor has his own agenda. would he have said the same things if it was good ol' harry tax dodger redknapp?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Sell him and sue him for loss of value
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I expect (and hope) that is what will happen.