Record Shop Dearborn/Detroit

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Record Shop Dearborn/Detroit

Post by spzretent »

Yesterday I was in the Dearborn area of Detroit. I had a trunk full of decent used Lps and Cds. I stopped at this record shop that has been an institution around here for many decades. It is a very generic looking shop but they have a pretty deep stock and really good used stuff.
My issue is they hire only people completely void of personality. You are working in a record shop. Not a hospital. Not a morgue. Show some enthusiasm. I dont even care if you fake it. Any employee that has ever even made a positive/excitable comment doesn't work there anymore. This is sad.
I realize this is a family business. But holy shit, its entertainment. You get to brighten up peoples lives.
In the era of the internet they still dont even know what they are doing. They are just into buying stuff cheap and marking it up 500%. Meaning buying Lps for $1 and selling them for $5.
I walked out of there with 4 original Daniel Johnston Lps, a 1985 Roky Erickson Lp, New Order BBC Radio 1 Live Lp, Neil Young Time Fades Away and a few used Cds for $40 in trade.
I used to own a record shop and employed cartoon characters. And people loved it. And still talk about it.
This store, good as the selection is, makes me sad.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Re: Record Shop Dearborn/Detroit

Post by Laz69 »

Missing Records in Glasgow was/is the same. Used to be a fantastic place to drop into for a browse. Employees always keen to answer any questions or make suggestions. They tried to expand a little too big and it all came tumbling down. Shortly after, the vinyl selection became pretty poor, the good staff left and the place became the complete opposite of what it had been. Terribly sad. I spent sooo much of my time and money in the original shops, that it was terrible to see it change.

Luckily, their best employee resurfaced at Monorail Records :D and thats where i end up more often than not now anyway.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This shop named Dearborn Music, so as to not confuse with Stormy Records owned and operated by Windy & Carl, seems to have a machine they put their employees through that removes their personality. I swear. Its so bizarre.

It should be a fun job. I know it probably doesn't pay that well. Make the most of it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Perhaps sullen employees is just part of the price you pay for getting such good deals. Time Fades Away runs at least $20 or more for a copy in VG++ to EX condition (not sure how nice the one you scored is). I'm sure those Johnston records are worth more than $5, too.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I think there's a balance to be struck. Catatonic zombies that look miserable and bored are no fun and don't help the vibe of the store, but neither are pretentious hipsters who scoff at the vast majority of what customers purchase. On many occasions I have seen record store employees laugh at a customer as they're leaving the store. I'd like to think that my tastes are so ironclad that it hasn't happened behind my back, but it definitely made the place seem less welcoming.

If record stores are to survive, a big part of that will be as "meccas of cool" where people go to feel like they have the pulse of the scene. It's a delicate balance to be discerning enough to be cool, but also welcoming to the full range of customers.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I was treated so rudely by a dude in Selectadisc in Berwick Street a few months ago it actually made me laugh. He was “Record Store Guy”

I bought a Boards of Canada CD, that’s not too bad is it?

Those people that used to work in the upstairs of the Notting Hill Gate Record & Tape Exchange took contempt for their customers to new heights, man they could be vicious.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:Those people that used to work in the upstairs of the Notting Hill Gate Record & Tape Exchange took contempt for their customers to new heights, man they could be vicious.
Ha! I knew we'd be on to those fuckers soon enough. Candidates for the rudest shop staff I have ever encountered.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

nickh wrote:I was treated so rudely by a dude in Selectadisc in Berwick Street a few months ago it actually made me laugh. He was “Record Store Guy”

I bought a Boards of Canada CD, that’s not too bad is it?

Those people that used to work in the upstairs of the Notting Hill Gate Record & Tape Exchange took contempt for their customers to new heights, man they could be vicious.
I am going to cut and paste an old story about that place, But it was the downstairs guy who I had a very loud confrontation with. I was always treated pretty well upstairs. Their prices for beat NEU! records were hilarious.

Cant find it. This was early or mid 90's. It went like this.

I walked in with a lot of US promo lps and records. I said I think I need to go upstairs with these. This clerk stopped me and went thru my records. He said 5 quid cash or 6 exchange. I looked at him with what I can only assume was a look of astonishment and said I think your wrong. These should go upstairs to deletions. He then looked at me in front of a busy shop and said "we dont pay good money for crap records". Then it kicked off. One of the upstairs guys was walking out of their break room and said "Alan, whats wrong?". He shot a look at this asshole who insulted me and walked me upstairs. I think he over paid me too because he felt bad. I had been trading with them for years. Always at the end of a buying/trading trip and unloading everything I couldn't get rid of. But it was still quality stuff.
To get back at this clerk I started asking to see items along the top shelf, made him unlock a few cd cases and then walked out but I made sure I told him I got 77 quid cash upstairs.
I always need to clarify that the Camden shop staff was always very friendly.
Runcible has a good story too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Loads of good record stores throughout Portland...all of them independent. However, the best one is a big open room with shelves full of record bins and the floor stacked with even more. It is essentially a consignment shop with about 30 or so dealers under its roof. There is always something new coming in and I can easily whittle away half a day in the shop. It's run by a couple of older guys nearing their 60's, possibly older. Aging hippies and looking every much the part but they are always busy looking at records or second hand equipment that also comes through (8-track players/cassette decks/turntables etc.). They are also very good about allowing their customers to thumb through the multitudes of records in peace and never come up to disturb you. When a new customer walks they may get a nod of the head but not much more more. As they get to know you and realize you are a returning customer with some knowledge they open themselves up and even bring certain things to your attention that may have come through the store that they think you may like. There is nothing self-consciously hip about it at all and I love it! I can't tell you how many albums I have walked out with and how many more I have passed up because I didn't have enough money or was exercising self control. I've seen "Time Fades Away" with its poster insert on a regular basis in this shop.
nickh wrote: Those people that used to work in the upstairs of the Notting Hill Gate Record & Tape Exchange took contempt for their customers to new heights, man they could be vicious.
I have been in that shop and know exactly what you are talking about. My favorite record stores in London were once on Hanway Street off Tottenham Ct. Road but I think they all closed or moved and the shops have since become restaurants or bars. Berwick St. was ok (never a big fan of "Sister Ray" though..I always thought they were expensive). There was a decent cd shop called "Steve's Sounds" near Leicester Square where one could get cd's for 5quid that I often swung by and would stock up. But, in terms of records I probably found some of the best stuff at "Beano's" in Croydon and "Intoxica" on Portobello. "Intoxica" is fairly expensive though and caters to a hip market but "Beano's" being in Croydon means it seems to avoid a lot of that element.

Have to say though...you will be surprised with what you can find at your local Oxfam!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I spent more time on Hanway St than anywhere else in London. I used to fill in at Vinyl Experience. Mark, the owner, was my main trading partner. Until he took advantage of me with some Motown singles and involved me in a lawsuit. I cannot track him down no matter how hard I try. Just to say hi.
Man, there are so many crazy stories on that street. The guy at On The Beat Tim(I think), next to Vinyl Experience, got busted one day for selling packets of smack inside cheap LPs. There was a Spanish bar we used to go drinking at on that street too. A few NME Writers would go out after work with us also that whole Death In June/Nurse With Wound/Current 93 crowd. They sold so much of that stuff out of Vinyl Experience. Some truly bizarre converstions around those tables. Nice guys but very different views politically and otherwise.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I spent more time on Hanway St than anywhere else in London. I used to fill in at Vinyl Experience.
That's the one! I too was in there A LOT! We probably crossed paths. I also drank at the Spanish bar at the end of the alley/road a few times. Last time I was there it (the bar) was still there but the record stores were all gone and the seedy/sketchy aspect of the street was also gone as the new bars and restaurants had gentrified the street.

I vaguely remember the story of the shop selling junk inside the LP's! Too funny!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:Runcible has a good story too.
When I ran Runcible Records we used to buy whole collections regularly. One time a guy I knew who worked for a label was moving offices. He wanted shot of a vast wall of vinyl so I loaded it into my creaking car and went through it later. Lots of goodies but plenty of dross too. We were left with about 1000 12"s and LPs and as Music and Video Exchange has an 'all quantities accepted, none refused' we took them to the one in Camden (sorry Alan - I hate those guys as much as the Notting Hill mob). The guy said 'we don't want them'. I said 'you say you'll accept any quantity' and the guy just shook his head. I then saw one of the records we had in the rack at a tenner and showed him. 'We don't want them' he said. These records were of no use to us and we couldn't face taking them all back so an argument ensued. Eventually the guy said 'OK, I'll give you a quid'. 'What, for ALL of them?' I said. 'Yup' said the cock behind the counter with a grin. They obviously didn't want the inconvenience of sorting them out. To his astonishment I said 'OK', took my quid and emptied the boxes of vinyl onto the floor. The guy was absolutely furious. Wanker.

I'll chuck in Plastic Passion which may or may not still be off Portobello and run by 2 old grumps, both called Bill. They had a row about 20 years ago and divided the shop into 2 and despite the incredible selection of stuff they have they fit into the caricature record shop owner - an aloof attitude, looking down their noses at you and generally being annoying. I used to go there a lot but they were so rude last time I said I'd never go back and I haven't.

One of the crucial shops in Hanway Street was Soho Records run by the legendary Mick Flannagan - lovely chap and with an amazing history of music inside him. He used to run Zippo in Clapham, then did the record fairs and then ended up in Hanway Street. Sadly now gone. All sorts of 60s and psych in there. Also in that shop was an old hairy bearded Texan guy called Tony - a fountain of knowledge, nice guy but who came across as a lysergic casualty. I saw him scare a few dickhead poseur types at record fairs. We didn't know his name and affectionately referred to him as 'Gibby Hayne's dad'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:I haven't been to London in over 10 years. Its always Manchester & Leeds for me. Manchjester is still good for record shopping. King Bee, Vinyl Exchange, Piccadilly Records, Fopp.
Manchester has fantastic record shops. Leeds has none. Our one collector's shop, Relic, is rubbish. There is a gold 'U.S. Tour '89' Spacemen 3 poster for £300 on the wall. They had some half decent Spacemen stuff in there and no matter how many times I asked they never got round to telling me what half of it was. 'Oh it's in the office and we haven't sorted it'. I rang, emailed and pleaded, saying 'if you have something I don't have I WILL buy it'. Nothing. You really have to wonder about the attitude of such places. I work in a shop and customer service is pretty high up the agenda for us.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I love that story Mark, to have seen his smug grin crumple would have made my day. They weren’t all bad in those shops to be fair, I do remember a guy in the Camden store looking at a CD I had picked from the cabinet and saying “that’s too much, I’ll knock a couple of quid off”.

I also remember being in there one afternoon when someone said the words you really shouldn’t have said ie “can we call it a tenner for the lot?” I braced myself for the inevitable slanging match which I have to say was highly amusing.

Hanway Street was an old haunt of mine and I was a regular visitor to all those shops. There used to be a members only club along there with a Spanish bar in the basement, I would imagine the bar has closed down now as it broke about every health & safety law going but a good place to get a drink at stupid o’clock.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Have to give another shout out for Beano's in Croydon (I hope it still exists!). Any of you in south London, Surrey or Brighton (Shinesalight?) really should check it out. Wonderful store. It kinda reminded me of the old Midnight Records shop in NYC.

NOW, there's a candidate for worst service in a record shop award! Back in the 80's I used to order from Midnight all the time and would wait and wait for my order to arrive. Literally weeks would go by with no order. I would phone up but get some smug NYC hipster who was too cool for school and certainly much cooler than anybody from Cleveland (me). Two word answer and then the phone would go down. One time when I managed to get more than a grunt the dickwad on the other end said "New York is a lot busier than Cleveland I have a lot of people I need to help is there anything urgent?". Ummmm...yes, I paid a couple hundred dollars that I busted my ass working for, I spent a lot of time thinking about my order and I chose your shop to spend my cash at....it is nearing 8 weeks and it still hasn't arrived! Fucking wankers!!

I went into their shop once when I was in NYC and yes, they had a great selection but the service was so bad and the people so self-consciously cool that I honestly had to bite my tongue to part with my cash. All of this was pre-internet days so maybe mail order shops like Forced Exposure in Massachusetts and Freak Emporium in the UK kicked Midnight's ass because you don't see their ads anywhere near as much as you once did.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Leeds has Crash & Jumbo. Good shops, not collectors shops, but good for RSD stuff.

The weird thing about this shop is the service is fine. They are as far removed from "hipsters" as you can be. They just all seem to lack a pulse. I know there are some of you out these that made it into my shop. For the most part I hired people passionately into the music we sold. One of which was just a young kid who was so overzealous it was hilarious. And our customers loved him.
Owning or working in a shop like that you could never shake the "you guys are too cool to ask a question to for fear of mockery". Its part of the game. We had plenty of customers in our inner circle. We would always get them extra stuff when big releases came out. Be it Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine, Verve, Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub whatever. Posters, stickers. If we got advance releases we would dub our good customers copies as well(assuming the statute of limitations is up on that bit of law breaking).
What irks me I guess is this shop has great stuff. I bought a White Noise Sound used cd for $4. I couldn't wait and bought the War On Drugs Slave Ambient Cd there too. Plus all that great used stuff.