Respectful Objection to Thread Locking

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

jadams501
Known user

Respectful Objection to Thread Locking

Post by jadams501 »

I just wanted to note that I disagree with the decision to lock the thread asking about Spiritualized drug songs. So many Spacemen/Spiritualized songs explicitly talk about drug use (whether it's intended as allegory is a whole other conversation) and for better or worse droney space rock is inextricably correlated with people who use drugs. There is a whole album called "Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To," after all.

Also, plenty of threads in this section and others have touched upon the various states of mind people have been in at shows, and often the chemical concoctions they'd consumed to get there.

I do think the thread was kind of a boring topic, and I had no plans to respond to it personally, but I see no reason to cut off discussion of something so closely tied to what so much of the music and Spaceman's history touches upon. If people don't want to respond, the thread will slip down the page and gradually into oblivion. Why cut off something that wasn't hurting anybody?

With all due respect to our hard-working mods, of course.
clewsr
Known user

Re: Respectful Objection to Thread Locking

Post by clewsr »

Agreed. Locking didn't seem necessary really, we are all grown ups.

Also I didn't think it was necessarily a boring topic. What's wrong with glamorising drugs? Plenty of Spiritualized's and Spacemen 3's songs do.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

If you read what was written by Modlab it was locked because it was in the wrong section.
f you would like to talk about drugs or past experiences of drugs while listing to music, please go to the OTHER section.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sorry for being a pedant, but if you read the original question, it was asking about people's favourite songs with a particular theme, so it could belong in the music section, but I'm starting to bore myself now, its not really an issue.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It is clear threads like this really bother some people. I suppose its easy to be flippant about drugs/songs if you(or anyone close to you) never had an issue with drug abuse.
Trust me, I flippantly started a thread years ago and was pm'd some pretty intense emails.
So in the interest of not upsetting some of the members I understand locking the thread. I wasn't the one who locked it but I understand the reason.
As a matter of fact I think it should be deleted.
Those who are interested in this should maybe pm each other. It would be less in your face/public.
Just my .02 cents worth.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

My reasoning behind locking it is that it is clear subject and can be spoken about. I just think it can be spoken about in a better manner then 'What is the best drug song... Yadda yadda. So basically go to the other section and talk about drug songs and make it a bit more logical then 'what song'. Also, if you want to talk about listening to LGM fucked on LSD and the whole album clicked for you and why the that song is so powerful because of the drug aspect then please do.

Best,

Mark

PS: I guess to make a long story short: Analyse it and talk about it.
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The reason I still feel the way I do about the locked thread is because this was the question that started off the thread:

1. What is the BEST Spiritualized song about drug use?

2. Top 3 non-SPZ songs about drug use?

If it were about experiences under the influence with music thats one thing. But best song about drug use?
Thats pretty fucked up imho.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Which then can lead to the question - Do you approve of that aspect of Jason Pierce's subject matter? And if the answer is a 'no', then surely it can be questioned if you are indeed offended by the music, why would you choose to listen to it? Pretty much unavoidable, as he seems to have 'tackled' the drugs theme from every perceivable angle.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:The reason I still feel the way I do about the locked thread is because this was the question that started off the thread:

1. What is the BEST Spiritualized song about drug use?

2. Top 3 non-SPZ songs about drug use?

If it were about experiences under the influence with music thats one thing. But best song about drug use?
I`m not really sure why the thread was locked ,doesn`t seem particularly bad to me ,not too clever mind and i don`t think I would have replied as I don`t really care for list type things ,but the semantics over whether I enjoyed it on drugs and want to share it with every one as opposed to why I think its a good song ,about taking drugs ,nah ,you lost me their ,can`t see much diff. or the stuff about what section it should be in ,don`t close it just move it ,
I get the the part about folks being senitive to the subject ,from my own circle I could tell some horror stories ,didn`t escape entirely unscathed my self ,and I don`t particularly care for the bigging up of drug taking ,
just find it a bit strange the thread was locked on a forum about Spiritualized when the majority have probably partaken ,and some still do ,although not me ,not in years.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote:
why? if I were to answer the original question off the top of my head, for a laugh -

1. Lay Back in the Sun.

1. Pulp - Sorted for e's and whizz.
2. Shamen - ebeneezer goode
3. Neil Young - Needle and the damage done

All songs about drug use, you may not agree with my choices(!), but hardly a fucked up topic or very controversial?, something the Guardian would do as a feature perhaps. Drugs are a part of life, and so people sometimes write songs about them. Locking a thread about songs that talk about drugs on this forum of all places seems to say the least overly cautious, and the more I think about it the more I disagree.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My perception, rightly or wrongly, was this was more of a flippant question about drug use. Its hard to tell when the person who posted it has all of 2 posts. Its not like you can glean much from that. Perhaps I erred on the wrong side of the question.
I did end it as I was stating an opinion. That is how I feel.
Plain and simple.
I wouldn't have locked the thread. If there were enough complaints I would have deleted it.
There isn't a whole helluva a lot of moderating done on this message board.
And it was explained by the moderator who did lock it why. It could have been moved to the other section as well.
Not sure why it wasn't.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

making drug-related topics a taboo would be extremely silly.. does not really need an explanation, does it?

..but yeah, I don´t mind seeing them in the "other" subforum only, since they tend to be more about the drugs themselves or crazy memories than actual music.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No one is making them taboo.
But people also have to take into consideration the feelings of people whom this offends.
If this was a truly serious question then fine.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i don't think it should have been locked but i think it was a really stupid and juvenile discussion topic
blipvurt
New user

Post by blipvurt »

I just saw this thread about the post I made that got locked. I'm not chuffed that it got locked or whatever. I did not mean to offend anyone and if I did I am sorry.

I really was trying to collect information about good music related to the subject matter. Specifically for a project I am working on. I did not intend to start a discussion about doing drugs or passing moral judgement either way on their use. I put it in "Music" because it was asking about music. I thought this was along the lines of what it suggests in your forum's new user guide: "3> Post polls. They're fun."

I asked on this forum because although I haven't posted much, I have been a reader of it for several years, and I appreciate that this community has deep music knowledge that would most likely come up with some interesting (ie: less obvious answers than "Cocaine" by Clapton or "Heroin" by VU).

Anyway, at least I provided you all with a debate topic for the day. No hard feelings I hope.
Last edited by blipvurt on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Kurious Oranj wrote: i think it was a really stupid and juvenile discussion topic
Thanks for that.

On the other hand, it also seems to have aroused far more interest than a lot of posts recently - including (as pointed out by Simon), the Smile sessions box, so maybe blipvurt is onto something.
O P 8
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

clewsr wrote: Locking a thread about songs that talk about drugs on this forum of all places seems to say the least overly cautious, and the more I think about it the more I disagree.
I´d say it´s even seriously fucked up

now the mere mention of drugs suddenly should warrant censorship?
Hope you get a grip.. seriously.. wtf?

You shouldn´t even consider such heavy-handed moderating until Spiritualized and J are being censored and they put *beeps* all over the back catalogue.
I wonder if you still can handle listening to spz records? Do you skip songs because the lyrics are not only about sunshine?

If someone came here starting a thread just to advocate heroin then it would be another story and be so off topic that one can see why it would need moderation..
but as it stands now it is the first step towards [insert "fascism, powertrip act" or whatever you wanna call it]

I realise it´s becoming modern to strip people of whatever small means of freedom of expression that they still have..
find it very sad that this sickness is spilling over into the main/official spz msg board.

Please mods.. think harder about whether you really wanna go down this path.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

scratch wrote:
clewsr wrote: Locking a thread about songs that talk about drugs on this forum of all places seems to say the least overly cautious, and the more I think about it the more I disagree.
I´d say it´s even seriously fucked up

now the mere mention of drugs suddenly should warrant censorship?
Hope you get a grip.. seriously.. wtf?

You shouldn´t even consider such heavy-handed moderating until Spiritualized and J are being censored and they put *beeps* all over the back catalogue.
I wonder if you still can handle listening to spz records? Do you skip songs because the lyrics are not only about sunshine?

If someone came here starting a thread just to advocate heroin then it would be another story and be so off topic that one can see why it would need moderation..
but as it stands now it is the first step towards [insert "fascism, powertrip act" or whatever you wanna call it]

I realise it´s becoming modern to strip people of whatever small means of freedom of expression that they still have..
find it very sad that this sickness is spilling over into the main/official spz msg board.

Please mods.. think harder about whether you really wanna go down this path.

Are you kidding me. Really?

Mark
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

blipvurt wrote:I just saw this thread about the post I made that got locked. I'm not chuffed that it got locked or whatever. I did not mean to offend anyone and if I did I am sorry.

I really was trying to collect information about good music related to the subject matter. Specifically for a project I am working on. I did not intend to start a discussion about doing drugs or passing moral judgement either way on their use. I put it in "Music" because it was asking about music. I thought this was along the lines of what it suggests in your forum's new user guide: "3> Post polls. They're fun."

I asked on this forum because although I haven't posted much, I have been a reader of it for several years, and I appreciate that this community has deep music knowledge that would most likely come up with some interesting (ie: less obvious answers than "Cocaine" by Clapton or "Heroin" by VU).

Anyway, at least I provided you all with a debate topic for the day. No hard feelings I hope.
Thanks for the clarification.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

the mods facists...drugs taboo...shouldn't this thread really be in the 'other' section? :wink: :roll:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you are correct.
I was gonna start a fascist thread :D