RIP Gary Speed

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

RIP Gary Speed

Post by runcible »

Just seen the shocking news that Wales manager Gary Speed has committed suicide. I'm a Leeds fan who watched him play many times and always admired him even after his Leeds days. For someone who came across as a genuine good guy and an accomplished footballer and rising manager I'm absolutely stunned. In the age of unpleasant stories concerning footballers private lives this is really tragic. No other details have emerged yet but he must have been battling something majorly horrible privately as his career was very much on the up and he was in good form on the TV yesterday. Poor guy - very sad news.
jack white
Known user

Re: RIP Gary Speed

Post by jack white »

i'm also a leeds fan & i adored gary speed. i grew up on that team & being left-footed also made me take a keen interest in the likes of Speed.

not usually one to be saddened by celebrity/sport stars deaths, this one shocked me.
like runcible says, his demeanor never betrayed the demon's he was facing privately. he was a diligent professional who was blessed with fine talent. he always worked as hard as anyone for his team but had a bit of class when it was called upon. (was just saying to my mate, what a perfect mf blend him, mcallister, batty & strachan were)

i was then delighted to see he had made such a great start as Wales boss. they'd been going downhill for years really, & i feared the worst that one of my few football heroes was about to fall flat on his face with the poisoned chalice of the Wales job, but he had the ability to turn them round. & to turn them into a good team who had potential. & in turn it opened up his future managerial possibilities...

it's such a waste of a good football ambassador, at a time when the sport is seriously bereft of them.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Very well put JW...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just stunned, watched him in his pomp at Leeds fantastic player, so very sad indeed.
'Remember, change is not good'
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Again another who was lucky to see Gary Speed as he burst into the Leeds ranks. Hard to take in. As always such a tragic waste. An actual footballer who you would be proud to hold up as a role model for your kids. Rest In Peace
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There are rumours going round that The Sun was about to out him as a bisexual and that's why he did it. In the midst of the gutter press being ripped apart at the moment that's a pretty unsavoury bit of news if it's true.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

runcible wrote:There are rumours going round that The Sun was about to out him as a bisexual and that's why he did it. In the midst of the gutter press being ripped apart at the moment that's a pretty unsavoury bit of news if it's true.

If that is true... That is uncalled for and terrible.

Not a good time for Welsh football.

B,

M
Design.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Great shame that this has happened to such a great professional and a seemingly great guy too, and if these rumours are true, its disgusting that he was driven to this in this day and age. Like its sister rag, The News of the World, The Sun should be forced to close down for raking up this shit, who cares really what he did in private ? Is it really in the publics interest to know these things? Any one who reads or buys that f**kin paper should be ashamed of themselves, ive not touched it since the Miners Strike
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Was at the game on Saturday and it was very emotional. On 11 minutes the whole place sang 'There's only one Gary Speed' for 11 minutes it was incredible everybody was choked. His wife and children were there god knows what they must be going through.

A truly gteat player who will be sadly missed
'Remember, change is not good'