'Remember, change is not good'
rameses
Known user

Re: What's Santa bringing you?

Post by rameses »

Bladerunner 5disc blu ray set
Alien blu ray set
Apocalypse Now Redux blu ray
and possibly Star Wars episodes VI, V & VI blu ray. (Though I've heard bad reports so might try to track down the DVDs instead).

Kind of a pattern here? !?!?! :roll:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My kids are giving me the 2nd pressing of The Heads 'Vertigo Swill'. They have no idea of how rare that is but know it'll make me smile.

I can't even go into the CDs I am having to give them but think along the lines of the X Factor - seriously painful listening.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

We are moving countries in the next few days. This means that large presents are OUT. The kids are getting iPod touches, and my wife some very expensive bits and bobs to hang in her wardrobe. Me, I bought myself a new amp on eBay :D

Everything else is a bonus!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

rameses wrote:Bladerunner 5disc blu ray set
Alien blu ray set
Apocalypse Now Redux blu ray
and possibly Star Wars episodes VI, V & VI blu ray. (Though I've heard bad reports so might try to track down the DVDs instead).

Kind of a pattern here? !?!?! :roll:
Definite pattern, I work in the building industry and we are shut for two weeks as of Tuesday. I am going to have to fill my time somehow so I usually figure the best place is on the sofa:

Psychoville – Series 1 & 2 boxset blu-ray.

Sherlock – Series 1 blu-ray

Still going to have to pace myself though and worryingly my neighbour has borrowed my Sopranos box set so I can’t fall back on that when I have finished with the above.

May go and seek out a cheap copy of This is England + This is England 86 boxset in the sales to tide me over.

Have a good one everyone!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A day off. :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

A few LP's, which I already purchased the other day and the latest issue of 'Ugly Things'.

I bought my wife a Crock Pot, which she has been using and we have already been benefiting from (last night's slow cooked pork was yummy!). I also bought her tickets to a couple professional dance troupes that are coming through town next year.

For the kids...both my son and daughter are at the stage where they need phones. Not because the other kids have them but because they take public transportation across town to and from school. Phones these days are free when you sign up to a plan and the family plans are affordable. I also got my son an original (used) Dunlop Cry Baby wah peddle and my daughter some nice art supplies and a couple outfits.

My daughter's birthday is Dec 22 and we're taking them both to see 'Cavalia' (Cirque Soleil with horses) for her birthday.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

some storage boxes, a shredder and a book of miller's plays
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

A George Jones Rockabilly Compilation
A book of 1970s advertising
Springsteen's Tunnel of Love LP
A frame for my Lazer Guided Melodies LP
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My wishes are for Santa to bring the Cleveland Browns:

A Head Coach that has balls, fire in his belly, desire to win and has the players respect and who want to play for him.
An Offensive Coordinator
A new Special Teams Coach
A fullback
a right guard
a right tackle
a wide receiver
a line backer

and the list continues....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm hoping for the new Beach Boy SMiLE boxset, but I have a feeling that might not be in Santa's satchel. I put a few Lambchop reissue LPs on my list, too.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

not sure but i've a sneaking suspicion my other half has bought us a pair of tickets for download :( im really gonna struggle to look pleased when i open that! :?
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I've got the Smiths vinyl box set. Looking forward to Rank with a cheeky glass of red tonight.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was given this:
http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php
For once I am afraid to open a beer. I cant imagine what this tastes like.
Check the food pairings suggestions.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I was given this:
http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php
For once I am afraid to open a beer. I cant imagine what this tastes like.
Check the food pairings suggestions.

Voodoo Doughnut is a local Portland, Oregon institution. Very rock and roll, kitsch and gaudy. Not too many doughnut shops are on a local city's tourist circuit but Voodoo most certainly is. The queues, everyday, are ridiculous. Their most popular doughnut is indeed the bacon maple bar and it is a surprisingly good mix of sweet and savory. But, the concept of it bottled in a beer is really gross.

Also, the owner of the shop is a complete idiot. Far too many times he has turned up at small gigs in bars acting like a twat. My first ever Green Pajamas gig was entirely ruined because of him. He stood at the front shouting and yelling stupid things to the band and the audience thinking that he was being funny. The atmosphere was hijacked and even the band were wondering who the dick was. Good on him for becoming a millionaire at 46 for selling and marketing doughnuts. But sadly he has started to believe his own hype and his ego speaks before his brain.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I may save this one for my next trip across the pond.
I can feel the apprehension as the glass is about to hit the mouth.

Too bad about this Voodoo Doughnut guy. Someone needs to take him down a peg or two.
Just because you have a lot of cash doesn't make you immune to being asshole.

I guess Santa also brought the whole city of Detroit and surroundings a complete 4 quarter annihilation of the San Diego Chargers when it mattered most. Not something we are accustomed to when it comes to NFL Football here. Great start to the holiday weekend.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It IS Unfortunate that a Great many people have Egos that have long since surpassed their Intellect!

Fortunately, I at least, and I hope we all, know enough people who are a Joy and Great Fun to be around; whether a person has 46 cents or 46 million, they can STILL be an asshole; but few people are jealous of anyone with 46 cents.

Perhaps "Donut" and "Hole" have polyentendre here; or maybe not.
:D

By the way, Santa was VERY good to me; my closest friends, and oldest friends supplied me with Wonderful Gifts; along with a great deal of Laughter, Joy and the Priceless Intangibles that so many people need, but unfortunately for them, many never receive enough of. Yeah, Santa was VERY good to me this year; I hope and pray that 2012 will be even better. Frankly, for most of us, it BETTER be. WOW.

I have never seen this country so rudderless and aimless; THIS SHOULD BE, and has been the Land of Opportunity; not "Stand in Line and await Further Regulations and Continued Downgrading of Your Lifestyle". We can be Greater Again; we have too many resources and Creative Capacity to depend upon ANYONE BUT US, and by extension, ourselves, each one of us, using our own resources and refusing to be dependent upon ANY government entity to "take care of us". Personally, I find THAT prospect untenable, as long as I am able to somehow provide for myself, I am NOT asking anyone else to do it for me!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote: We can be Greater Again; we have too many resources and Creative Capacity to depend upon ANYONE BUT US, and by extension, ourselves, each one of us, using our own resources and refusing to be dependent upon ANY government entity to "take care of us".
We do and we can. BUT, it also depends on our government (both federal and state) supporting our schools with the appropriate means and funds (and our school districts using said funds appropriately). It also depends on parents prioritizing education in the lives of their children. Without education we are "rudderless" and "aimless".
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:Ok so what's on your list to Santa :?:

Mine are a bit random :!:

Hookworms 12"
Creepshow 2-disc DVD
Williams Pinball Classics for Wii
Thunderbirds 9 disc DVD collection

Reliving my youth with the last three :lol:
Loving Hookworms and CANNOT stop playing the Williams Pinball game brilliant and addictive :D

Anybody get any random prezzys? Strangest for me was a pizza made of chocolate and sweets, came in a regular takeaway box, weird :lol:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

BVCP206 wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:Ok so what's on your list to Santa :?:

Mine are a bit random :!:

Hookworms 12"
Creepshow 2-disc DVD
Williams Pinball Classics for Wii
Thunderbirds 9 disc DVD collection

Reliving my youth with the last three :lol:
i rewatched the entire thunderbirds and it was great but not very good- a 5 min shot of a human hand pretending to be a puppets :wink:

5! 4! 3! 2! ONEEEEEE THUNDER BIRDS ARE GO!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

redcloud wrote:
semisynthetic wrote: We can be Greater Again; we have too many resources and Creative Capacity to depend upon ANYONE BUT US, and by extension, ourselves, each one of us, using our own resources and refusing to be dependent upon ANY government entity to "take care of us".
We do and we can. BUT, it also depends on our government (both federal and state) supporting our schools with the appropriate means and funds (and our school districts using said funds appropriately). It also depends on parents prioritizing education in the lives of their children. Without education we are "rudderless" and "aimless".

I taught for many years at University. I have seen many people rise OR fail based upon their own merit, and dedication; or the lack of either or both.

It is the disappointing lack of Leadership from Washington D.C. that accounts for an aimless, rudderless USA, NOT the lack of EVEN MORE spending and the expectation that "More Magic Money" from the same failing government will somehow make it all better again. Ideology can't overcome the reality of failure and ineptitude, or perhaps even worse.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

semisynthetic wrote:
redcloud wrote:

I taught for many years at University. I have seen many people rise OR fail based upon their own merit, and dedication; or the lack of either or both.

It is the disappointing lack of Leadership from Washington D.C. that accounts for an aimless, rudderless USA, NOT the lack of EVEN MORE spending and the expectation that "More Magic Money" from the same failing government will somehow make it all better again. Ideology can't overcome the reality of failure and ineptitude, or perhaps even worse.
So what did Santa bring you :lol:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote:

College is one thing. At 18-22 (or older) students can and should be able to remain motivated and take initiative. If they can't, well they need to grow up and quickly learn.

At the younger years, however, it is very different. At the elementary up to High School level the budget cuts have been horrific and many schools are now struggling with a skeletal staff, dwindling resources and schools that need many structural updates, basic upkeep or just plain advances into 21st century learning. With fewer teachers due to budget cuts it means that 40+ kids in a classroom is now the norm. Most classrooms were never designed for this many kids and they are packed to the gills. Little space, not enough desks, kids sitting on floors etc. This is also far too many for one teacher, yet it is very common and not just in PE or Art. English, Math and Science classes have now hit that number. A teacher struggles to maintain control with that many kids. They also struggle to see and help every kid. You will always have kids who will fail and who will excel. The middle of the road kid are struggling in classes this big. Some will fall through the cracks when you get this many kids in a classroom and others will never reach their true potential.

The really gifted kids too may not be able to really soar either because the teacher is struggling to keep other kids motivated, answer the numerous questions or help the kids who need it. Add on top of this the kids who do not speak English, students with very high special needs, poverty and all the various social issues that come with it and it means that schools/teachers are finding it harder and harder to educate and help our future generation.

Money helps if good teachers can be hired and retained. This will keep class sizes down, it will keep school resources updated and it will also keep school buildings running efficiently and in decent repair.

Personally, I wish Santa delivered the Oregon Department of Education a multi-million dollar check.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

A Dyson T2! :D