Master Chef

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Master Chef

Post by runcible »

I guess for Uk viewers only...

We love to cook in our house and do freshly prepared food every night - we also love cooking programmes if they are any good. Lots of fun and the origin of many cooking ideas is endless.

This is a decent series here and well worth a look if you like to cook. The bonus tonight came in the form of 'Charlie' who prepared his first meal wearing a handsome Spiritualized t-shirt (seems like someone beat me to that - did you type that before the programme ended?!). He wasn't the best contestent tonight but he did OK. Can we back him? Mmmm... maybe. At least he has decent taste in music.

Early days so far but this programme always has moments that are rewarding.
Laz69
Known user

Re: Master Chef

Post by Laz69 »

yeah.. me and my other half LOVE Masterchef... although i doubt i'd be allowed to cook my chilli every week! Unless i just presented it differently :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote:yeah.. me and my other half LOVE Masterchef...
Same here. We also watch the Australian ( they cooked for the Dalai Llama in the most recent amateurs series :shock: )and Irish ones too.

Big up to Charlie :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I can't cook for toffee but me and the wife love watching this if only for Greg's facial expressions :!:

Amazing how many times I think something looks/sounds nice and they tear it to pieces :lol:

Yes big up to Charlie but don't think he'll be around too long :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Half the stuff they cooked last night looked like it would be marked down but, to my surprise, those were the dishes that scored the highest.

I quite liked the sight of a large tattooed northen bouncer cooking delicate dishes with a sweet grin on his face. He's looking like he has serious potential that guy.

I love to cook but the pressure those professional kitchens heap on their staff is scary. I think I'd have been one of those shouting 'I've lost the plot chef!'...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Anuybody else a little bit bored with 'angry chefs' in the professional kitchens :?:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

yeah... i don't understand why they need to be pricks all the time... are the chefs they employee that bad that they need to behave like that? I remember Tom Kitchen making a guy cry when he had been sent to his Edinburgh restaurant as part of the show... he did go out and apologise and calm him down later, but is ANY job REALLY worth that?

The West of Scotland part of me would be telling them to go check their kettle as i walked out the door for the last time... :wink: :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:Anuybody else a little bit bored with 'angry chefs' in the professional kitchens :?:
All for show I suspect. Having said that the pressure in those places is unreal.

I recommend anyone interested in this should read Anthony Bourdain's 'Kichen Confidential' which spills the beans on the booze, the drugs, the fights, the carnage that goes on is some kitchens. A great read and hilarious at times.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

runcible wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:Anuybody else a little bit bored with 'angry chefs' in the professional kitchens :?:
All for show I suspect. Having said that the pressure in those places is unreal.

I recommend anyone interested in this should read Anthony Bourdain's 'Kichen Confidential' which spills the beans on the booze, the drugs, the fights, the carnage that goes on is some kitchens. A great read and hilarious at times.

That book is great! I love Anthony Bourdain and highly recommend his show No Reservations and his new one The Layover.

B,

M
Design.
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

i guess you've all probably seen this master chef remix, but if not, wait for the wobble to hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkEO7hzALY
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
All for show I suspect. Having said that the pressure in those places is unreal...
I believe you can get your fellow chefs and kitchen staff to work amazingly without acting like a total brutal bastard.

Tom Kitchen? AARGH! I hate that guy. Smug, patronizing faux-scotch fearmonger!

Love this thread... :lol:
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:

Yeah great book that. A Cooks Tour is also worth picking up.

I think the whole angry chef thing, at the higher end of the scale, might be confined to Britain. Look at Professional Masterchef when they get sent to Michelin restaurants around the globe, you'd think they were cooking in a monastery the way everything's so calm and quiet.

Has anyone seen Top Chef? It's basically an American version of Professional Masterchef only every time a chef wins a round they get $10,000 :shock: This week alone one of them has already won twenty grand and a holiday in Paris! On Friday they had to cook in the CIA's headquarters in Langley trying to disguise classic dishes. Entertaining.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Charlie BLEW it!!!!! Although i think i would have ditch that bearded eejit who made the rather pathetic looking plate of food...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Charlie got a tad spaced out when the crunch came it seems.

Some lucky people still in the competition purely because others were even more shite than they were. The northern bouncer is looking pretty good at the moment, and also Aki with some really delicious looking oriental stuff.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Yes Charlie's a goner but not that unexpected. I know it wasn't the case in last weeks show but does anybody else think that the visits to different places/restaurants are all pretty much filler for the show and it basically all boils down to what John and Greg think of what they cook when they are in the Masterchef kitchen :?:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i thought last nights approach of having a Masterchef "service" was bloody genius... i never liked Matthew... but to see his world collapse around him last night was GENIUS TV!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:Yes Charlie's a goner but not that unexpected. I know it wasn't the case in last weeks show but does anybody else think that the visits to different places/restaurants are all pretty much filler for the show and it basically all boils down to what John and Greg think of what they cook when they are in the Masterchef kitchen :?:
A little but, as you say, in the last episode Charlie's slowness and the Black Forest Gateau guy's meltdown was the reason they left. A few of the more wobbly contestants have shown they can't cope in a busy service and I reckon it'll be those who lose out. The bouncer guy smiled all the way through his course and never really looked like he was under too much pressure.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just watched latest and they had to work under Jason Atherton who's a perfect example of a chef who has no histrionics and does not belittle his staff yet commands their respect.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Bit of a cop out on the last show, nobody went home because couldn't split them, call me cynical but could this be because someone had to drop out through illness :!:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I think the Indian woman took real offence and was embarrased when she was told her curry was crap...

"i'm authentic Indian, I know how to make curries..." is not enough of a qualification in my book when cooking for 350 factory workers...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote:I think the Indian woman took real offence and was embarrased when she was told her curry was crap...

"i'm authentic Indian, I know how to make curries..." is not enough of a qualification in my book when cooking for 350 factory workers...
Yeah, particularly as she was cooking lumpy chicken soup with hardly any spice!

Some of the food at the end last night looked absolutely delicious.

BVCP - I hope you are enjoying Aki's facial expressions as much as Greg's! She is hilarious - even when she is criticised she looks like a 6 year old who's just been presented with an ice cream.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:BVCP - I hope you are enjoying Aki's facial expressions as much as Greg's! She is hilarious - even when she is criticised she looks like a 6 year old who's just been presented with an ice cream.
I certainly am, think if they said her food was awful she would still be smiling :lol:

I think the face pulling is an integral part of the show :!:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aki got a fright last night! Andrew is suprising me the most right now... bit of a dark horse that one!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aargh! Had a nightmare with our Freesat recorder and it failed to record this. NEVER buy a Humax machine - we have had 3 since October and they are all faulty. BBC iPlayer here I come!
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

LOL Is this the most surreal topic on the forum? You guys...

Saying that the programme is much better than that 'Fabulous Baker Brothers' or whatever it is. What pish. Trying to outdo Jamie with their banter.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not seen the baking programme. I caught up on MC on the iPlayer. Andrew always showed promise - he's a quiet contender for sure. I have a feeling Eamonn is going to be rumbled soon enough - he tries to ooze relaxed confidence but a lot of his footage consists of him wiping himself down or looking distinctly stressed. Still, he did OK on this one but if he's under pressure the cracks show.

As for surreal topics the one about 'scallops vs. squid' a few years ago is on that wavelength. Besides - cooking dinner with loud psychedelic music blaring is one of my favourite occupations.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Whenever I see your posts, Runcible, I think about you posting about a recipe with blue cheese! Some things stick, huh?

I'm pretty happy at the moment as my 6 yr olds have now prefer home-made fish fingers over processed & now nag me about making pitta bread pizzas. It's a start.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Mustard wrote:Whenever I see your posts, Runcible, I think about you posting about a recipe with blue cheese! Some things stick, huh?
Hmmm. Which one was that? With the mussels? That's a good one. Can't think of many recipes we do in our house with blue cheese that don't involve a biscuit.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:Can't think of many recipes we do in our house with blue cheese that don't involve a biscuit.
Mmmm... blue cheese on a chocolate digestive! YUM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote:
runcible wrote:Can't think of many recipes we do in our house with blue cheese that don't involve a biscuit.
Mmmm... blue cheese on a chocolate digestive! YUM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You need the port reduction on that to make it a Heston feast of course...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Correct result last night, although my thoughts on Andrew were blown apart with a dismay display last night... Eamon still on that shaky peg.

Prediction for the final:

Shelina, Aki and Tom... outside bet on Jay...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'd go along with that generally. Andrew scraped through by the skin of his teeth.

I'm thinking Shelina and Tom. Aki is too formulaic and Greg highlighted that last night. If Jay digs a little deeper he could be up there as he's pretty good, just doesn't quite let himself go.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Come on then people let's all pick who we think is going to win.

I'm going for Tom, initally would have been Aki but think she's become a bit of a 'one trick pony'.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm thinking Tom too... but would like to see Jay step up to the mark and take the title...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What Laz said. I tip Tom but we're rooting for Jay in our house.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Aki is a goner :!:

Had to laugh at Jay's massive fish portion :lol:

Still Tom for me.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, i just caught up on this weeks last night... Eamon and Andrew really stepped up to the plate (excuse the pun!) this week, but Tom almost blew his chances.

Someone really needs to explain finesse and fine dining to Jay though... :lol: :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aki screwing up her own style of food was a clear sign she was for the chop. Tom came close though. Andrew is starting to shine again. Jay is an outsider I reckon - that huge portion of potato was madness. Shame as I like him. Tom, Andrew and Shelina are the top 3.
henryapplecore
Known user

Post by henryapplecore »

sorry guys, i just had to bring this to your attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkEO7hzALY
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Well that became annoying in the same time it takes Greg to polish off a dessert...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ah Laz, i love Buttery Biscuit Base. The guy that did it has some bizarre offerings on his youtube channel.

It's been Andrew for me from the beginning so that's who i'm sticking with. No doubt he'll go out in the next round now. Correct result this week, Aki peaked a few weeks ago and was just hanging in there by the skin of her teeth.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Sorry Sunray, but his "biscuit base" was interfering with Acetone... and thats a no no... :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not sorry to see Eamon go, but Jay had a close run tonight and I think his days are numbered. Which will leave the right 3 in the final.

Those food critics are a right miserable bunch aren't they?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Agree. Eamon's food was not good last night. Can't quite understand why he went with something so straightforward. It wasn't fine dining or even food of a particularly high standard. I think Jay will be next as i don't think he's capable of really presenting the level of food they are looking for. Tasty? Yes, but not to the standard they are looking for. Shelina really impressed last night, and i think she might be just ahead out of the other three just now. Tom needs to try and cut back on what he's doing as he's sacrificing presentation for complexity too much, although i was slabbering when i saw his dessert :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

After the Thai trip I reckon Tom or Shelina are the front runners. Jay was way too laid back to be a real contender. Curiously all the food John and Greg were raving about in the north looked really messy and unappetising!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Curiously all the food John and Greg were raving about in the north looked really messy and unappetising!
Fish and cockroach sauce! :shock:

Did anyone else think that chef they had with them in the market had a touch of the Gary Oldmans about him? Had the air of someone who very much enjoyed everything Thailand has to offer!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote:Had the air of someone who very much enjoyed everything Thailand has to offer!
Haha... my wife said the exact same...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

All looking correct this evening - Jay had to go. Shelina looks unstoppable now. Not sure why they did that afternoon tea thing with a load of TV comedy folks, many of whom were pompous and silly. Bill Oddie has been high up my shit list for years - what an arse.

Greg outdid himself for facial expressions tonight.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Correct result last night. Agree on the afternoon tea thing just filler to pad out the hour although I do think Vicki Michelle still looks good :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Finally got round to watching this last night. Jay looked thorughly resigned to his fate i think. He tried to go out on a high, but didn't quite pull it off. Shelina excelled as she has been doing and i noticed Andrew playing the sympathy card with his sobbing :lol: :lol: Thought Tom was slipping a little, so he'll need to be on the ball next week or Shelina will walk it.

Setting up for a good final anyway...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yep, it's looking like Shelina alright.

Even though Greg's expressions are first class, check out John sometimes for a real forlorn, slightly haunted look.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Still watching but getting a liitle tired of it, so very formatted :!:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So Shelina it was then. Couldn't really argue against that, she moved ahead of the pack the past few weeks.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thought the final was possibly the best in recent series due to the well-edited panic at the end. Shelina; calm, collective, neat and immaculately presented food meant she was a worthy winner. I can honestly save i felt genuinely hungry when she put her food down.

Back to Man Vs Food now... :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:So Shelina it was then. Couldn't really argue against that, she moved ahead of the pack the past few weeks.
Yup - almost pointless watching the announcement of the winner as the final was so one-sided. Boy that woman can cook.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

So, 'The Professionals' version is back on BBC this week.

Masterchef overload in our house: Australian 6 times a week (5 for us as we never watch the masterclass), British 4 or 5 times, plus the Irish version once a week. :oops:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yep... glad its back. I love watching Michel Roux Jr stare down the contestants when he walks into the kitchen... always raises a smile. Carl is clearly an early favourite. The rest have been very average so far.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That was a nice end to the series. From the quarter final onwards I fancied Anton to come out on top. Greg's expressions (both facial and his turn of phrase) have been fantastic this series. There was a moment last night where i'm sure he had an orgasm!

I thought it was interesting when they were sent to different restaurants in the semi finals and the difference in the head chefs of those establishments. On one hand you had Marcus Wareing banging on about how he sacrificed everything; family, friends, the lot, for food and he looked and sounded miserable as fuck. Plus he made it seem like if the contestants made one mistake the whole restaurant would come crashing down around them. Then we had Tom Kerridge, who was so nice and cheerful and full of encouragement for the competitors, telling them to just concentrate on their particular job and the rest of the kitchen would work around them. Considering both Kerridge and Wareing are Michelin Star chefs it was an eye opener to see such two completely different personalities on show. I know who i'd rather work for.

Irish Masterchef ended last night too. It's the amateur version and there was a woman from my town in the final but she completely messed it up. Pity, as she'd been so consistent throughout the series.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Only just managed to catch up with last weeks final. What amazing cooking. I thought the episodes in the Fat Duck and when they had to cook for all those Michelin star chefs were incredible. It was a shame for Ollie in the final when he cocked up his desert, but he probably didn't deserve to win the overall series anyway. Anton and Keri were both such fantastic chefs and had two completely different styles. Unbelievable cooking and very watchable tele. And, yeah, Greg Wallace is bloody hilarious (or ridiculous) and is almost becoming a caricature of himself :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone