Lin Sanity

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Lin Sanity

Post by spacemanrich »

Great story about this undrafted Harvard kid from my backyard of Palo Alto. He is the toast of New York that has invigorated the franchise and the city ! Players are now having fun and getting touches from this phenom. Miami and Chicago better watch their backs when playoff time comes, then can suprise a lot of people. I'm not sure how Melo will gel into the lineup ? They play better without him :oops:
jadams501
Known user

Re: Lin Sanity

Post by jadams501 »

I almost never follow professional sports because I get tired of the exploitation of fans, all the advertising, and particularly the loutish behavior of so many players. I'm more interested in real teamwork than the self-centered antics of many players these days.

But watching Jeremy Lin play has been a huge exception, and he is one of the most inspiring sports stories in recent memory. Lincredible Linsanity!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

And here I thought this was about turntables.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This NBA tale has picked up where the Tim Tebow story left off.

Good for him, good for the team & good for the fans. The major egos on the Knicks (Carmelo Anthony) now have to learn how to play with this kid.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Miami and Chicago better watch their backs when playoff time comes, then can suprise a lot of people.
I think it's far too early for fully stacked teams like the Heat or the Bulls to get overly concerned about the Knicks.

This shortened season will come down to which team deals best with exhaustion.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

spacemanrich wrote: I'm not sure how Melo will gel into the lineup ? They play better without him :oops:
I think you are right :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Of course it's too early to tell, but I'm talking about winning 6 straight games without Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony. They were 8-15 before LinSanity and now they have won 7 straight games and are .500 team. I heard they just picked up JR Smith ( don't know too much about him ). I think Baron Davis just played his last game in New York.

Way different from Tebow. Tebow was a Heisman Trophy Winner. Tebow won 2 Nat'l Championships in Florida. Tebow was drafted in the 1st round. Tebow's religious beliefs are suffocating.

Lin did not get one Div.I scholarship ( except Harvard ). Lin was undrafted. Lin was cut twice and almost a third time in NY before coming into the Utah Jazz game. Contract was not guaranteed and was couch surfing w/ Landry Fields. Just exploded from NOWHERE !
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: Way different from Tebow. Tebow was a Heisman Trophy Winner. Tebow won 2 Nat'l Championships in Florida. Tebow was drafted in the 1st round. Tebow's religious beliefs are suffocating.
Yes, religious beliefs aside...Tebow was black balled and completely disgraced at the start of the season. Sports critics said he was "the worst QB ever" and that he would "never make it in the NFL" that he was falling to "3rd string status behind Orton and Quinn" due to his "weak and terrible passing skills". Horrible things were said about the kid, they mocked and ridiculed him and his skills. Yet, when given the chance he proved all his critics wrong and managed to win the starting job, took his team to the playoffs and systematically dismantled the AFC Champions and one of the best defensive secondaries in the league (Steelers) after all pundits said he could "never pass against Pittsburgh"! I think the underdog story is quite similar to the out of nowhere story of Jeremy Lin.

Exhaustion in this NBA season really is key. Portland are a good example. We have one of the better benches in the league but we can't get it done due to keeping guys healthy, the tight schedule and rising above the exhaustion of a shortened schedule. Last night we led the Clippers by double digits. The fourth quarter saw yet another meltdown where offensively we couldn't hit anything and we ended up letting LA back into the game and ultimately lost.

But, these guys all happily went into the labor dispute so I certainly am not feeling sorry for them. Their complaints about three games in a row, back to backs, excruciating road trips, tired legs etc. etc. all fall flat on me.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

As Magic Johnson stated, ' this kid is fantastic ' , ' he can do it all ! ' Dropped 28 pts. and 14 assists on the Mavs and great outside shooting by Novak and new addition J.R.Smith. Magic Johnson says that this team can go deep in the playoffs, albeit the addition of Carmelo Anthony.

Look at the potential starting lineup : J.Lin, C.Anthony, A.Stoudemire, T.Chandler and J.R.Smith, along w/ Novak, Fields, Jeffries...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm not going to jump on the Knicks bandwagon but I'm pleased for the kid. It remains to be seen how the egos on his team learn to work with him. It also remains to be seen how Lin adjusts his game once teams begin to study films and learn how to defend/deal with him.

Spacemanrich, as a Bay Area sports fan....are you not a Warriors fan?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No likey Warriors - they suck !

Looks like Greg Odom is going to have his 3rd microfracture surgery - done for the year. I know that any kind of sports draft is a crapshoot, but the JailBlazers chose Odom over Kevin Durant that dropped 51 pts. the other nite. The Sam Bowie nitemare continues ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:No likey Warriors - they suck !
They somehow seem to have Portland's number. We just DON'T match up well with that team.
spacemanrich wrote:Looks like Greg Odom is going to have his 3rd microfracture surgery - done for the year. I know that any kind of sports draft is a crapshoot, but the JailBlazers chose Odom over Kevin Durant that dropped 51 pts. the other nite. The Sam Bowie nitemare continues ...
Oden is done. He has been done for at least 1.5 years now. Sad tale, really...but what's even more sad is the fact that he has earned millions of dollars having only played 82 games in four years!

Yes, the Durant v Oden comes up a lot in Portland media. We Blazers fans know all too well about Oden being a bust and Durant becoming a beast (and the fact that he plays for a division rival makes it smart even more). But, we didn't need a strong forward back then. We needed a center. We still do. Camby is great, but at 38 he just can't play all those minutes. We brought him up from the Clippers to be a bench player and to relieve Oden yet, for the past 2 years, due to Pryzbilla's injury and then his trade for Wallace, Camby has been our starting center. We struggle in the paint and Felton hasn't been great as our PG. I'm already missing Andre Miller (who is doing really well in Denver. Go figure!). But, we can also go ice cold like we did last night. It is a very, very frustrating time for Blazers fans.

Dwight Howard to Portland? He's a franchise changer...but, what would we have to give up to get him? He'll probably go to the Lakers, anyhow (rumors are that Gasol could be traded).
spacemanrich wrote: JailBlazers
That tag is history. We deserved it then but we don't deserve it now.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Athletes should be very grateful on where they play and who drafted them. All the major players want to play in major markets i.e. - NY, LA and even Miami. Who ever says they want to play in Milwaukee or Sacramento, Memphis or Cleveland for that matter ? Bunch of spoiled brats. That's why Jeremy Lin is a great story ! He could be on Wall Street right now working, but loves basketball and just exploded out of nowhere. It seems like the articles that I read, the negroes are quite bemused with themselves w/ this story. They are basically jealous that an asian guy can ball with them, goddam asian kid took away a job from an inner city brotha ! :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Athletes should be very grateful on where they play and who drafted them. All the major players want to play in major markets i.e. - NY, LA and even Miami. Who ever says they want to play in Milwaukee or Sacramento, Memphis or Cleveland for that matter ?
Yea, but Portland has a die hard following. The Rose Garden is, and has been, totally sold out for years. When we go to the games we buy tickets through the ticket exchange, which wont allow for any mark up of price. All face value and often season ticket holders who can't or don't want to attend specific games.

As a player it would be a hell of a lot more fun to play in a stadium that is consistently filled with 21,000 fans than it would in a half empty stadium. Just ask Gerald Wallace. Initially opposed to being traded from Charlotte to Portland, he now loves playing here mainly because of the hard core fans and the raucous atmosphere of home games.
spacemanrich wrote:It seems like the articles that I read, the negroes are quite bemused with themselves w/ this story. They are basically jealous that an asian guy can ball with them, goddam asian kid took away a job from an inner city brotha ! :oops:
Ummmm...do people still use that word and talk like this?

Oh, I forgot....ESPN reporters do!