For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

NCAA Brackets

Post by spzretent »

Anyone want to form a league?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: NCAA Brackets

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, start one up again !

Upsets all this week w/ Vandy over Kentucky and Florida St. over UNC ! The Michigan St. vs. Ohio St. was excellent, the Spartans look good.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is the Spartans time of year. Izzo always schedules one of the most ridiculously tough schedules year after year. I guess it prepares them.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm game!

Although I must admit that the basketball season seems to be bypassing me this year. Not sure why. Probably because the NBA lockout turned me right off and then the Blazers came back with a bunch of new faces and have been playing frustratingly piss poor night after night.

I've followed Portland State more than anybody as they are our closest team. They finished two games above .500 and 3rd overall in the Big Sky. The Pac 12 is also pretty weak but I enjoyed Oregon State's win over Washington the other night!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-cha ... upID=71104
Group is Prince Fielder of 64
Play as many brackets as you want.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Registered!

My sister lived in Syracuse. She loved the Orange. I have to go with them....for her.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

To those sports fans outside of N America:
This College Basketball tournament is two of the most exciting weeks in American sports. Also the most heavily gambled on hence these brackets. My bracket is just for fun. No money involved.
You need not know much about these teams as people who often win pick by mascot, jersey color or team name.
A few basic points:
The teams are seeded/ranked. #1 in each region being the top team. #16 is a longshot to put it mildly.
If you are at all inclined I encourage you to go for it. One of you will most likely pick the winner.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: My bracket is just for fun. No money involved.
We could of course put a wager on it. No money. How about something much more interesting like...whoever wins will receive a prize from each of the participants. It can be as simple and cheap or it can be more personal and meaningful. Up to the person who sends it. The winner is the one who finishes with the most points. Just a thought. Might be fun and creative.

Btw, my 11 year old son just joined the group and completed a bracket. I hope that is cool with all.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

How about BEER ? The finest beer from one own's state i.e. - OR, MI, CA - mighty fine brews from these states ! :D

RedCloud, your son will probably win with his logic - i.e. - a Wildcat can beat a Husky (Kentucky/UConn) and a Spartan can beat a Cardinal (MichiganSt/Louisville) ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:How about BEER ? The finest beer from one own's state i.e. - OR, MI, CA - mighty fine brews from these states ! :D

RedCloud, your son will probably win with his logic - i.e. - a Wildcat can beat a Husky (Kentucky/UConn) and a Spartan can beat a Cardinal (MichiganSt/Louisville) ...
I think sending beer in the post could be logistically difficult. But, I'm definitely game.

I was actually thinking of the prize being something entirely up to each individual.

I also don't necessarily think Syracuse will win it all. I went for them simply for my sis who lived there and who passed away in 2010.

And yes, you could be right...it would be quite funny if we are all beat by an 11 year old! I wouldn't put it past him though...you would be amazed at his sporting and musical knowledge for his age as well as the amount of trivial facts he retains. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm up for that. Beer via UPS is possible,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I'm up for that. Beer via UPS is possible,
Beer it is. If Sebastian wins then you can all send him a root beer. Most breweries bottle a root beer too.

Beer sent to the winner has to be a micro/craft from each loser's particular state. How many bottles does each losing bracket send to the winner?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

the s&h will be the expensive part for since you are both left coasters.
I will send something good but would need to know the wiiners preference style. Unless of course I win. :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: I will send something good but would need to know the wiiners preference style.
I think the winner should be pleasantly surprised by whatever they receive from each of the other state's. Win or lose this is going to be fun.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

A six-pack would be VERY EXPENSIVE and could be breakable. I was thinking of a bomber or 22 ounce beer or (2) 12 ounce beers. I know it wouldn't be much, but this is only a smal friendly wager.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

As Portland is one of the second and third round host cities I'm beginning to see people arrive into town. Last night I saw a bunch of college boys wearing Indiana Univ. sweatshirts, hoodies and caps milling around downtown. Nice to see that they chose to come to cold, grey, rainy and even snowy Portland (2 inches yesterday) instead of going some place sunny and warm for their spring break! That's ok...the city needs their tourist $$'s and most probably just found a couple good pubs to hibernate in to drink some good Oregon beer.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Portland Trailblazers look soooo bad. As I type they are down by 30 to NY midway through the 3rd qtr. Our All-Star, LaMarcus Aldrdige is 3/12, our PG can't get the ball to anybody, our offensive screens don't disrupt the defense and we have no serious threat at center. Nothing is working.

I am really looking forward to the next couple weeks of the NCAA tourney to take my mind off this garbage.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good games so far, Spzretent is nipping at my heels !

The upsets that I picked so far include VCU (#12) over Wichita St.(#5) and NC State (#11) over San Diego St. (#6). Who looks good - INDIANA. I didn't know that they beat this year : Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Kentucky !!! They look impressive with their passing/shooting and that pt.guard is quick as hell. That's okay that you guys picked (2) entries to my one ... :shock:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I just got wrecked by Missouri. But, you know what? I don't care because this is what it's all about! Awesome stuff by Norfolk State! San Diego State also caused my both my son and I a bit of bother. Come on toomilk...sort your boys out! We had high hopes for them. :D

Doesn't really matter though. I picked Syracuse to win it all before Fab Melo was made ineligible. I decided not to change my bracket because I had already submitted. Somebody will be getting a nice bottle of Oregon beer from me.

Then again, the big points will come later....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Go Lehigh! Love it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

:D
Glad to not have been a fan of a team that made history on a historic night in this tournament.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I propose that the three of us: spacemanrich, spzretent and redcloud send the winner (3) 12 ounce bottles of beer from your homestate sans fruit beers. That way, we can get a six-pack of a variety of ales. What if none of us win ?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thats fine though I dont mind fruit in my beer.
If none of us win it was for fun I guess.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Fine with me. I'm not big on fruity or flowery beer...I like bitters. BUT, I am happy to be pleasantly surprised with whatever comes my way.

Then again, I don't expect to win...so one of you will most likely be getting a parcel from Oregon.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I haven't had the chance to watch any games today. But, I did manage to find half an hour this afternoon and caught the second half of Marquette v Murray State. What a game! I loved the pace of it and how obvious it was that both teams really wanted it. The NBA lacks that passion.

My bracket continues to take a beating though.... :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Pretty good weekend for my brackets, I only lost (1) game (Florida St. vs. Cincy). I even had NC State (#11) beating Georgetown (#3). I now have 12 teams going to the Sweet 16, my best bracket yet !

I think I was motivated by BEER ... :o
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That hurt.
I have to give credit to Louisville's defense. That was the best defense I have seen all season.
What the hell Michigan State was doing taking so much time to get shots off under 6 minutes down by like 10 points(if they even did that) I have no idea.
But, credit where credit is due, Louisville was the far better team tonight.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I, also had Michigan St. beating Louisville, but that's okay, it eliminates my competitors. The 'Cuse game vs. Wisconsin was very good, came down to the last bucket. The one I'm anticipating is Indiana vs. Kentucky tomorrow nite. Even though I picked Kentucky to win, I can see Indiana winning.

Kentucky sucks, ask Bobby Knight. I NEVER EVER pick a John Calipari team to win it all, he is slimy as one can get. Everywhere he has gone their has been NCAA infractions i.e. - UMass, Memphis. Remember, John Chaney (Temple coach) tried to choke him awhile back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 40610.html
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Sorry brother. They just seemed to be dragging through most of the game. Not only did their shots take a while to get off but they also seemed to be ice cold down the stretch. I was pulling for them but they were simply out played tonight. Again, sorry man.

Who would you like to see win it all now?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They played tight and i'm not a Keith Appling fan. Granted he wasn't recruited as a point guard but sometimes you have to adapt. This dude has so many brain cramps during a game it scares me. Oddly it seemed Louisville wasn't gonna let Austin Thornton beat them. Which is odd. but it worked. Pitino outcoached Izzo.
And Draymond Green had his worst game in a long time.
It just seemed contagious. MSU's bigs just didn't show up.
No one but Brandon Wood did really and by then it was way too late.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ohio vs North Carolina...what a game! :)

4.35 minutes left....c'mon Ohio Bobcats!

EDIT: Bummer! Ohio could have won it in regulation had they hit the free throw...64-63 game over. As soon as it went into OT I knew NC would win it. Great game though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They almost nailed that desperation half court shot to end regulation.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Elite 8 trimmed to Final 4 this weekend and all the games will be tremendous. I still have (5) teams in the Great Eight. Yes, I in my bracket, I have Baylor knocking off Kentucky - why not ? And the N.Carolina vs.Kansas should be also very good. It's make or break for my brackets this weekend w/ 'stevearbit' close behind ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Syracuse gone. Somebody is going to get some good beer from Oregon.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Maybe not. I dropped to 4th place, because I didn't have any of the teams on Saturday to win, thus losing a potential 160 pts. It's make or break tomorrow (sunday), I have Baylor knocking of Kentucky and Kansas knocking off N.Carolina. The way that N.Carolina and Frida Davis played the other nite, I like my chances...

Who really picked Baylor to go this deep, except me ?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Okay, now that we got Lo$$o fever out of the way let's get going with another FinalFourFever. The 'civil war' game btwn Kentucky vs. Louisville should be interesting ? Will Pitino and Calipari have it out ? I'll take Louisville on this one, they may have a chance w/ Pitino's astute b-ball experience and skills. I'll take Kansas in the 2nd game, also another worthy game. It's going to be pissing down rain here soon from the looks of the sky ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:It's going to be pissing down rain here soon from the looks of the sky ...
We had a brief couple days of sun but it has been raining seriously hard since Tuesday. My yard looks like a swamp.

I like Kentucky in this one. But, I'd be happy if Louisville win it.