Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

James T
Known user

Re: City vs United

Post by James T »

Oh and just to be fair given my previous posts re: suarez... Negredo was going down way too easy yesterday and it really really annoyed me. He wasn't diving as such, but he was acting up like a right mard arse which isn't like him usually. Disappointed in him last night in a number of ways. He's a class act though, I have no doubts he will kick on again after an off night.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Pellegrini is usually quiet about what other managers, etc. say, but this Mouhrino is just this pestering punk. He states that Arsenal and City are in contention to win due to their spending and Chelsea is a dark horse to win. In fact, I think Chelsea is in a better position to win than Arsenal. He says if Chelsea doesn't win then it's because it's his first year as manager and they are in a transition period, I guess samething what Moyes is crying about.

It'll be intersting, City and Chelsea will meet again in a few weeks for the FA or CapitalOne match ?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17077 ... lk?cc=5901
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes, we do. I look forward to going and doing it all over again, better this time!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Arsenalol

20 fuckin minutes gone! Ha! Some pass from coutinho.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Haven't been able to catch the arsenal game but after some of their performances recently I could see this coming sooner or later. Their result against united in mid-week will be really important for them now. If city and chelsea win both games coming up and arsenal have lost 2, I can't see them making 4 points on both of those teams regardless of how much football is to be played still.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well i didn't see it coming. they've been undefeated in 10 games or so (since the city thrashing) & have been winning games at a canter lately.

i did think liverpool would score against them & maybe even win but i expected a lot more from arsenal. they were shambolic, slow & were unwilling to put the boot in or match liverpools intensity or physicality.

i raised the point before in this thread: i don't know if you can win the league by only beating the smaller teams. in that approach you're effectively giving your challengers the initiative & letting it out of their own destiny. arsenal now are reliant on city & chelsea being inconsistent like they were in the first half of the season, whereas if they were able to match the big teams they would have control over the title race.
flamini was a big loss, but that in itself speaks volumes for wengers recruitment policy & philosophy: wilshere is in poor form & arteta isn't up to the task.

as for liverpool?
well that was easily the most entertaining & brilliant game of football i've ever seen liverpool play. ever. the only other time i enjoyed watching them that much is when mark viduka put four past them..
they were absolutely perfection today. well for the first 70mins then they p much stopped playing.
but that first half was wonderful. & suarez in particular is just a joy to watch, amazing footballer. he's a talent to be treasured & cherished, a really special footballer. his effort from gerrards poor corner in the first half was just mindblowing technically & his freekick in the 2nd was of similar quality, & his general link-up play & holding possession was truly top class, simple stuff but when you compare it to how giroud performed - constantly giving the ball away losing out to defenders - it's just evidence of a superior footballer. but it's those extra moments of magic that really make him special.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Arsenal were poor against Newcastle and palace, and in others they were lucky.

We were not at it today in front of goal but played ok. I can't stand it when a team plays such non football as they did in norwich. I hope they go down.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

This is getting interesting. The Blues on top of the table, but Liverpool not far behind with their impressive win today. City is stagnant. Race to the top.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

James T wrote: I can't stand it when a team plays such non football as they did in norwich. I hope they go down.
Sounds like sour grapes to me James. Did you really expect Norwich to come out all guns blazing against a team who were being touted as the best in Europe just a couple of weeks ago? It's City's job, especially with all their resources, to break teams down no matter how defensive they are.

As a Liverpool fan I'm delighted by today's result and performance but sure as shit they'll drop points against Fulham on Wednesday night. :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:
James T wrote: I can't stand it when a team plays such non football as they did in norwich. I hope they go down.
Sounds like sour grapes to me James. Did you really expect Norwich to come out all guns blazing against a team who were being touted as the best in Europe just a couple of weeks ago? It's City's job, especially with all their resources, to break teams down no matter how defensive they are.

As a Liverpool fan I'm delighted by today's result and performance but sure as shit they'll drop points against Fulham on Wednesday night. :roll:
It's a bit of a paradox, we've built the season on dispatching the flotsam at home - but in the past 4 games we've destroyed the blues and Arsenal, whilst dropping points against the dismal West Brom and an untypically adventurous Villa. The next 4 games (ahead of utd away) look eminently winnable - but experience suggests that we will drop points. The points dropped at West Brom and the horrific performance at Hull could be very expensive - christ we could be top, and play the most destructive football in the league. Today was great, the win at Spurs was even better, and 4-0 v Everton could have been 5 after 55 minutes.
Unfortunately, it looks like Chelsea may win it. And they're are complete cunts!

Special mention to Sterling, who has been increasingly good in past couple of months after looking like a hopeless waif for the past year. His finishing is pretty woeful, but he's brave and continuously spins defenders and makes direct progress towards goal, regularly beating players. The front 2 are magnificent, Sturridge having scored (something like) 28 goals in 32 league games for us, and Saurez is, well - from a different planet, nice to see Jack White's comments above. I still dream that Suarez will be our Maradona, winning the title for us as he dragged Napoli to successes in the 80's. Unlikely, but if it happens I won't be home for a week.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

sunray wrote:

First of all, people only mentioned us about being the best in Europe at home, and we still are ONE of the best at home. Norwich should attack us on their home ground yes, we're poor at the back and for the 10 minutes they did attack us they were on top. Honestly I'd rather lose 1-0 and watch an end to end game of football rather than a team camped in their own box, I hate it. It is NOT football. Even when city were shite we didn't make a habit of that kind of behaviour, apart from maybe when we had pearce in charge which was incredibly boring apart from when he put david james up front instead of our multi million pound megaflop john macken. I have a fair few friends who are norwich fans and speaking to one of them yesterday it seems he agrees that they should attack at home. All teams should attack at home unless you're altrincham playing bayern, people pay good money to go watch a football match and if all you're doing is trying to stop the other team playing it, well it's a problem for me. If they grab a 1-0 lead from a set piece fair enough they can defend all they like, but defending for a 0-0 against a team like city is a stupid tactic, and it rarely pays off.

We can only blame ourselves in that we didn't win cause we created chances, I don't blame their style on why we didn't win. I just hate their style yesterday, it fucking infuriates me. Cardiff did the same thing until we scored, then they attacked and they played well and scored 3! Teams need to stop being so fucking scared of attacking, its 11 v 11 and anything can happen if you jut give it a try, regardless of our team being a much better one in terms of quality players.

Special mention to DeMichaelis for the worst dive in history yesterday. If we weren't so short of numbers right now I'd write to the FA myself to try and get him a ban for it.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Got to say, that looks to be it for United's top 4 hopes. Even top 5 could be difficult for them. Fulham had a few attacks and looked good on them, but they really needed to push up more. They had a good chance to win that game if they went for a 2-0, sitting back the whole game made it look inevitable that united would at least get a draw. 2nd united goal was lucky, and credit where it's due for fulham getting up and grabbing the late equaliser. They didn't deserve anything from it though really, and will almost certainly go down from what I've seen of them this year.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

That's a good result for Fulham today and I am thrilled but I thought Fulham were doomed after the Sunderland game and even after today's result, I still do. I really don't see another 2008 style great escape on the cards either. Rene Meulensteen is a good guy but I am not certain he is another Roy Hodgson, if we were in the champions league he would probably be perfect!

Maybe we should have kept that bloody awful statue, it's all been down hill since that went.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea I think Fulham are going down.

Actually I thought today's game was effectively a dead rubber w/neither team having much other than pride to play for. & in that regard I was surprised at the endeavour & effort utd showed, but I don't think that'll last too much longer.

I disagree w/James about fulham going forward. Utd were shambolic defensively - nobody taking responsibility & bizarre walkabouts from vidic, embarrassing how pathetic utds resistance was.
I really don't see the quality in that Fulham team to see how they're going to survive.

That's an awesome banner the city fans put up of 'footballing genius' david moyes. I'll try find a link @ some stage..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Here is the link to what Jack White has mentioned - ' football genius ' banner - very funny!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/04/mancheste ... r-4289943/

I like the before and after photos of Old Fergie and I didn't recognize the red haired bloke with the perm standing next to him and later found out it was the singer from Simply Red. From happy to sad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-di ... --sow.html

I didn't think that United was going to get the 4th slot, but tried to w/ the signing of Juan doesn't Mata bit of a desperation move on their part. In one of those photos, he has his kit over his head and probably wondering if should have stayed with Chelsea ? No wonder Vidic wants out NOW ! Javier Hernandez wants out too (hinted at move in the summer) - their going to leave in droves. These players are in the clubhouse and probably see the low morale and confidence in Moyes and United - I love it !!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just following on from Jack Whites comments about disagreeing with my opinion on Fulham... I gotta clear this up! I don't mean they looked good in terms of football, they looked good for a goal due to united's poor defensive work. This was my point about attacking "bigger" teams though, it is there to be done and can be done. I was personally quite disappointed when fulham equalised; it was another victory for this popular non-football tactic we're seeing. Fulham have some good players, it is a shame to see Holtby wasted on that system! Like at Norwich. No doubt Van Wolfswinkel has been off form for them, but the style they play is nothing like he needs to perform. He was great in the europa and Portuguese leagues and he could at least do a more than adequate job at a team that saw fit to attack when possible. Norwich and Fulham both have confidence at rock bottom right now though, so I can forgive at least a little.
James T
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by James T »

West Brom almost grabbed a win at the end there. Well done to them, great show in the second half from them, though chelsea made it hard for them to have any real chances in the first half. Attack after attack from West Brom towards the end, and it was an exciting game to watch.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

City off, just got back from the city. The weather is incredible. Ridiculous. A tree blew over in front of our car, and most of the roads in to the centre are closed. Trains cancelled etc.. etc... Bricks and windows flying out of buildings..
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Some good results for city this week.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shame liverpool got that last minute penalty, but still we have a game in hand to put that back to 4 points. Win our game in hand and we're top.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Brilliant week for Liverpool - picking up points on everyone, only Spurs matching. Destruction of Arsenal followed by a (very rare for us) last minute winner at Fulham.
Feels very good - not had a week like this since 1-4 v Utd and 4- v Madrid.
Who knows what happens next - a heavy win at Arsenal in the cup would be nice though.

Just watching re-run of utd v Fulham. Diddums.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Liverpool are doing well but I'm still not sure they can keep it up. They deserved the win yesterday (hit the post so many times!) but an injury time penalty is what got the game. Obviously all teams get that luck from time to time, but going behind twice to fulham and coming so close to dropping should be a slight worry when already behind the leading pack (slightly, but still behind).
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I hope City spanks Chelsea tomorrow in their FA clash. That JoseMoron is at it again with Arsene Wenger this time. He is a raving lunatic ( if you ask me )... If City beats Chelsea, then he'll say that City should have won anyways with their exorbitant spending. So, it'll never end.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Mourinho = bellend.

What is it with English football that celebrates these horribly nasty morons? Spanish football basically shrugged at his constant barbs and saw him for what he is - an embarrassing bullshitter constantly looking for pathetic squabbles.
Whereas over here he's deified as a 'breath of fresh air' and a champion of "mind games" (TM) by lazy hacks who audibly giggle at his 12-year old jokes, lies and drivel in post match press conferences.
Ferguson was indulged on the same way.
None of them EVER call him for coming out with utter bollocks - the latest stuff being his tiresome shtick about chelsea not being in the title race like he's presiding over some backwater conference side trying to compete at the top table on a diet of magic beans, gumption and dreamy innocence.

Interesting 5th round - prospects will open up for anyone getting through - Spurs, Utd already out and 2 of LFC, Arsenal, City and Chelsea out after these fixtures.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

James T wrote:Shame liverpool got that last minute penalty
Tell me about it, I thought we'd got a good point there.

I have just got a text from my dad saying Rene Meulensteen has been fired. :shock:

Fulham could be turning into a laughing stock, this is getting like Blackburn a few months ago.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

nickh wrote:
James T wrote:Shame liverpool got that last minute penalty
Tell me about it, I thought we'd got a good point there.

I have just got a text from my dad saying Rene Meulensteen has been fired. :shock:

Fulham could be turning into a laughing stock, this is getting like Blackburn a few months ago.
Felix Magath is the new manager I believe. Given that he was a former Bayern manager he'll have lots of experience in fighting off relegation :roll: .
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Magath has been given an 18 month contract to see if he can turn the club around. Maybe a good move to stave off relegation.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I thought Alan Curbishley would be the better bet, he kept Charlton up for all those years.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If I'd have known the job was coming up I would've applied. My record on football manager is fantastic. I even won the league with everton.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

spacemanrich wrote:I hope City spanks Chelsea tomorrow in their FA clash. That JoseMoron is at it again with Arsene Wenger this time. He is a raving lunatic ( if you ask me )... If City beats Chelsea, then he'll say that City should have won anyways with their exorbitant spending. So, it'll never end.
City totally outplayed chelsea tonight and to be fair, Mourhino was fairly honest in his appraisal of City's deserved win. He still annoys me tho! ctid
Hey Jayne
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I have never seen mourinho look so bloody angry. A great performance, and glad to see nasri back and immediately in form. Jovetic played really well, but that is one of the worst dives you would see. He will learn, early a days for him.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

A little unfair Arsenal playing a Sunday afternoon slot when they face bayern during week. Not much recovery time. FA/epl should be trying to help teams in Europe more.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

What's unfair about that? They play Wednesday. City play Tuesday against Barcelona and we played afternoon yesterday?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Even if it was Saturday/Wednesday there would only be a short time still for the following weeks Saturday game. It's a bit annoying but not unfair. It's definitely ridiculous over Christmas though where lots of teams may have just 1 day off between high profile games.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Gonna be great to see Uwe Rosler back at city, even if it is leading out another team. He'll get a great reception, I'll be sure to get the day off work to make that game.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The quarterfinal draws have been announced, looks like City will play Wigan again. But, unlike last year, the results will be a lot different. Also, looking forward to the 1st leg of the Barca match on Tuesday.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

“After six years I can say I am a Mancunian. I really like the new song the fans sing about me saying that. I want to be one of those players who all the City fans remember. When I came to Manchester the big club was United. You can’t say the same thing about Manchester now. City have a bigger reputation – not just in England, but around the world. I feel very proud to be part of it – and say I am one of the survivors of that time before the money!”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Less fans. Less trophies. Less. Yet Pablo Zabaleta thinks city are bigger than United. IN YOUR DREAMS!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Less Trophies? He's talking about this year, the present. City are in the race for 4 trophies still, looking good for 3 of them how it currently stands (much can change). United are in the running for what? A europa league spot IF THEY'RE LUCKY.

What reputation do united have right now? Past it. I don't necessarily agree, I think they will comeback strong season after next. Still, city are a bigger threat to the dominant teams now. In terms of football, bigger in the present. In terms of a business and a brand? Certainly not.

No one denies that United have had the better of it in the past, and that they're a huge side. We're talking about now.

"When I came to Manchester the big club was United." CORRECT. "You can’t say the same thing about Manchester now." CORRECT.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

james must be excited about the prospect of his city minnows taking on the glamour of barca??

kinda thinking (& hoping) city get a pasting tonight. would just be funny to put them in their place, they've gotten too big for their boots too quickly, especially after that munich victory & now again after revenge against chelsea. would be nice to see a proper prestigious club sending a message to these type of nouveau riche clubs. in fairness to city at least they have a history of suffering unlike say the likes of chelsea who have no history whatsoever. but still, city shouldn't belong w/barca (yet) & have ideas above their station so i wouldn't mind seeing them thrashed now..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

pretty tedious game to be fair. City standing off and Barcelona are frankly increasingly dull on the eye.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I only caught the 2nd half at around 55 minutes ( right after the pk ). No controversy. Messi was inside the box when tackled (less than a foot). Hard to win with 10 men, but City had their chances, esp. w/ Silva towards the end. The Alves goal hurt going into 2nd leg at Camp Nou. A two pt. deficit is a little harder to overcome ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Contact game clearly outside the box. I don't 100% blame the big gormless prick for making the challenge from behind; I think that Joe Hart should've come off his line as soon as he saw the danger which would've allowed dimichaelis to avoid the challenge. Still, he should know better with his experience. There was a foul on Navas just before the pass was played to messi, but you can't exactly blame that.

Not a penalty, no chance. Definite red card.
Barca had a legitimate goal ruled out after the penalty also.
Second goal was lescott and clichy being shite.

I think city had barca right where they wanted them until the red. They controlled posession but couldn't do anything with it, and we created 2 or 2 great chances at 0-0. We should've scored later in the game also. I think city did a really good job, and it was unfortunate the way things ended up going down.

We still have a chance, but its small. We've scored 3 at bayern, 6 against arsenal.. We can score against top teams, but clean sheets are hard to come by with no 1st choice centre back to partner kompany.

I was excited about the game yes Jack, and it didn't quite live up to expectations for me not because we lost, but because it wasn't a great game of football.

I think you look at barca through tinted glasses. They and real have had dodgy dealings as long as they've been at the top of the game. If city had done this stuff with Neymar you would certainly have a lot to say about it. Still, it makes no difference to my view of them; great players on the pitch playing great football is what I want to see, their accounts books are nowt to do with me. Juventus match fixing, bayern tax avoiding, Zenit racist, Berlusconi in charge at AC.... I think you will see a lot worse people involved in football.

People who say city have no history I find to be incredibly disrespectful. It doesn't bother me when its a bit of "banter" in the lead up to a game; but when its just dropped in as if fact like you did. City have a lot of history, history isn't only winning trophies don't you know? The past is history. Is football the only think where history only exists if it has a trophy at the end? i am proud of the history I have witnessed at city; beating blackburn to get back to the premier league (I was there on the hill), the division 2 play-off finals- 2 goals in injury time to take it to et and penalties and we went up. We would be bankrupt and out of business if it wasn't for that division 2 game. If that isn't history, stuff your history I want nothing to do with it. Colin Bell, Trautmann are legends, so are Dickov and Horlock. they all played a part in the history of the club. Honestly, you're telling me countless numbers of football clubs who haven't won trophy after trophy have no history?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i don't blame demichelis either actually. even tho i know he's an accident waiting to happen & always has been, last night he did what you'd want anyone to do. it just so happens he's an ageing south american defender & so the outcome was inevitable.
navas' timidity & kompany were more culpable. but hey that's the kinda thing that happens against barca.

dour game. city deserved what they got. lining up w/kolarov & parking the bus like someone like norwich would do. shame they didn't get thumped. the only plan was to kick lumps out of barca.

& i put in the disclaimer about the history thing. they just dont have history in big cup is what i meant.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I rather enjoyed it actually.

Up til the penalty it was really interesting and well-balanced. The penalty was kind of perfect. Messi knew he would either score or be fouled and left the option open for the defender. Contact may have been just outside but that is how those incidents go unfortunately. Despite their possession I didn't think Barca looked that good - until they went 1-0 up that is and then everything changed. Then they looked like the control masters of old, but it was so easy for them. Some spirited fightback once that 10 minutes of stunned reaction to the penalty had subsided. David Silva looked superb - City's best player. You knew that 2nd goal was coming. As soon as Messi scored the penalty I turned to Mrs. Runcible and said 'final score will be 2-0 I reckon'.

Still, it's a shame. I like Barca but I really wanted City to win as I'm with a lot of people in wanting Man U's treble to be beaten by another team. Why not City? They play good football, so maybe with time - and some patience in a manager - it may happen.

James you shouldn't be surprised by Man U fans disdain for Pellegrini's claims about this season. It's an easy self-defence mechanism for the disappointing season they are having. No one likes to be looked down on, but the traditional reaction - i.e. gloating about past glories - always looks pretty hollow to me. There is nothing like current success - the few times I've felt it it was pretty damn good. When Leeds won the title in 1992 it was an extraordinary sensation, The 'elders' of the board may remember Leeds had a truly wretched season the following year - we didn't even win an away game all fucking season! Would I have swapped the previous title win for us being top of the league the following year with a close run in to come, as opposed to trailing in no-man's land yet still reigning champions? Hmmmm, a tough one. I feel the frustration of Liverpool fans. The incredible Shankly/Paisley/Fagan teams who strolled to all those titles in the 70s and 80s. The Dalglish era. Then a largely patchy period from then til the present day, a few exceptions aside. Liverpool fans desire for success now must equal the pride at what came before. Would you agree Harry ?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Re Jack White:
Dour football v Barca does work though. Utd did it to them when they beat them 1-0 (Scholes goal 2008?), Chelsea have done it to them, PSG, Inter (with 10 men), even Celtic.
Can't blame City for setting up that way (although you'd perhaps expect more on the back £500m investment - in the same way you'd expect a better centre back than the lad who got sent off) and they looked relatively dangerous in a plucky kind of way, and certainly Barcelona looked pretty blunt.

An early goal over there would make things interesting - not beyond the realms of possibility. Dangerous on set pieces and quick on the break - could still alarm them over there. Obviously it's much more likely they'll go out heavily.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

City had some great chances and played no worse than Barcelona up to that point. We let barca have the ball in their own half the same way we allowed swansea to do so, I don't think it was a particularly defensive performance. I think it was a mistake to not play 2 up front though, 2 other games we did that this year were bayern home and chelsea away, neither worked out too well.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote: James you shouldn't be surprised by Man U fans disdain for Pellegrini's claims about this season. It's an easy self-defence mechanism for the disappointing season they are having. No one likes to be looked down on, but the traditional reaction - i.e. gloating about past glories - always looks pretty hollow to me. There is nothing like current success - the few times I've felt it it was pretty damn good. When Leeds won the title in 1992 it was an extraordinary sensation, The 'elders' of the board may remember Leeds had a truly wretched season the following year - we didn't even win an away game all fucking season! Would I have swapped the previous title win for us being top of the league the following year with a close run in to come, as opposed to trailing in no-man's land yet still reigning champions? Hmmmm, a tough one. I feel the frustration of Liverpool fans. The incredible Shankly/Paisley/Fagan teams who strolled to all those titles in the 70s and 80s. The Dalglish era. Then a largely patchy period from then til the present day, a few exceptions aside. Liverpool fans desire for success now must equal the pride at what came before. Would you agree Harry ?
There certainly is a desire yes - I've told the wife that the year we win the league (tick tock, tick tock) she won't see me for a week. I remember when we won the league in 1990 (I was 18), it felt it would never end - it's was remorsless and inevitable we'd just carry on. But it ends - that's why it so great seeing what's happening to Utd now (as I hate them :D ) and when it starts to crumble (for us = Dalglish leaving / Souness arriving) it's hard to stop it.

During our patchy period since we've had some terrible sides but some great periods too - Evans' Fowler/McMananan/Barnes, Houllier pre-op, most of Rafa - and have had lots of great nights and victories and continued to pick up gongs relatively regularly - so it's not been complete famine.

I have an inherant distaste for modern football and that teams like CIty, who you're used to patting on the head and ruffling their hair, can be transformed from the comedy club into a giant overnight. Obviously Chelsea too - but they're in a completely different league of odiousness. But then LFC have hardly been a pauper scrabbling around for crumbs ourselves - we've just not got as much as others and have been largely wasting what we have on rubbish since the 1990's.

In short, it could have been worse for us - Ken Bates hasn't made an appearance
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I really don't see the 'parked the bus' thing for last night. We made some greta great chances and went forward every time we had the chance to. We let them keep the ball in not-so-dangerous areas because it is barcelona. 15 years ago we were playing mansfield away, barcelona away coming up. I'm delighted.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Interesting Harry. I have always had a soft spot for Liverpool but I did see Shankly's side play a few times. I remember Don Revie having to politely ask the Liverpool fans to calm down at Elland Road as they kept chanting Shankly's name when a Leeds player was being presented with an award. Man that's a long time ago!

One thing I will say is that I found Pellegrini's comments on the referee very poor last night. I didn't think the ref had a decent game either but I thought some of the comments were just insulting. That guy is regarded as a quality ref - last night wasn't his finest hour - and saying such things just comes across as sour grapes. Far better to admit Barca were obviously better, ran the game pretty much once they scored and that next time will be different. That same ref disallowed a perfectly good Barca goal too let's not forget. Retain some dignity for God's sake!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm surprised he came out like that, not normally his style. I think there is just reason to annoyed about certain things, but there's no use going public.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

KingHarry wrote:
runcible wrote: James you shouldn't be surprised by Man U fans disdain for Pellegrini's claims about this season. It's an easy self-defence mechanism for the disappointing season they are having. No one likes to be looked down on, but the traditional reaction - i.e. gloating about past glories - always looks pretty hollow to me. There is nothing like current success - the few times I've felt it it was pretty damn good. When Leeds won the title in 1992 it was an extraordinary sensation, The 'elders' of the board may remember Leeds had a truly wretched season the following year - we didn't even win an away game all fucking season! Would I have swapped the previous title win for us being top of the league the following year with a close run in to come, as opposed to trailing in no-man's land yet still reigning champions? Hmmmm, a tough one. I feel the frustration of Liverpool fans. The incredible Shankly/Paisley/Fagan teams who strolled to all those titles in the 70s and 80s. The Dalglish era. Then a largely patchy period from then til the present day, a few exceptions aside. Liverpool fans desire for success now must equal the pride at what came before. Would you agree Harry ?
There certainly is a desire yes - I've told the wife that the year we win the league (tick tock, tick tock) she won't see me for a week. I remember when we won the league in 1990 (I was 18), it felt it would never end - it's was remorsless and inevitable we'd just carry on. But it ends - that's why it so great seeing what's happening to Utd now (as I hate them :D ) and when it starts to crumble (for us = Dalglish leaving / Souness arriving) it's hard to stop it.
I think the rot set in before Dalglish left, in fact I'd pinpoint the moment at losing the 1990 FA Cup semi-final 4-3 to Crystal Palace. It was then teams realised our defence was very vulnerable.
I remember when Man U won the league in 1993 and all us Liverpool fans had the same thought: "At least we won't go 26 years without winning it again". Now 24 and counting....
I can't fully enjoy the scenes at Old Trafford though as there's a part of me that believes they will come back next year. It's nice to see but until they go two consecutive years without Champions League and the impact that will have, I won't be getting my hopes up.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

"Arsenal got into them at the start, and asked chances of Bayern Munich. At 1-0 with 11 v 11 gave Arsenal a decent chance - but their defending at the death has cost them. The difference from Manchester City's defeat by Barcelona was that City sat back from the start and asked for trouble. I thought Arsenal's gameplan was excellent until the red card."

Interesting quote from Chris Waddle on the BBC website regarding Arsenal's and Man City's European games this week. For what it's worth I really don't think City sat back as much as he and other people on here have stated. Both games could have had very different results but for a couple of key moments/decisions but, I guess, that is the nature of "the beautiful game" :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:
KingHarry wrote:
I think the rot set in before Dalglish left, in fact I'd pinpoint the moment at losing the 1990 FA Cup semi-final 4-3 to Crystal Palace. It was then teams realised our defence was very vulnerable.
I remember when Man U won the league in 1993 and all us Liverpool fans had the same thought: "At least we won't go 26 years without winning it again". Now 24 and counting....
I can't fully enjoy the scenes at Old Trafford though as there's a part of me that believes they will come back next year. It's nice to see but until they go two consecutive years without Champions League and the impact that will have, I won't be getting my hopes up.
I was at Villa Park that day - it was a foregone conclusion that we would beat them, having won 9-0 a few months before.
We were defiantly on the wane, the title win propped up by the brilliance of John Barnes, and a defence that was increasingly fragile - the Everton FA Cup 4-4 in which we scored a series of goal of the season contenders each cancelled out by horrible howlers - Cottee and Sharp picking up the pieces . There was the frighteningly mad 5-4 victory at Leeds the following year when Barnes played like Pele, we were 4 up at the break and then staggered over the finishing line. Dalglish was spending money on Speedie and Carter rather than the gems he bought in 87-88.
In fact it was only once Houllier brought in Sami and Henchoz that we lost that fragility more than 10 years later.

That team still had magic - won 7-1 at Derby a few months before Kenny left. Was down to Souness to completely rip it apart and stack the team full of dross whilst shipping out Beardsley and Houghton for peanuts who continued to perform for another 4/5 years at Villa, Everton and Newcastle.

Re Utd - they may well come back, it would take complete incompetence for them not to - that's why you have to make the most of it right now.
It's hilarious.
I never had any time for Moyes, but I love him now.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well I mean, we had more chances and shots than Arsenal; so if they were unlucky and we were shit? No. Nobody seems to mind Wenger's comments either, whereas plenty had a lot to say about Pellegrini.

I'm glad though. The more comments we get about being way behind the leading teams the less pressure on us. Look what people said about when we lost to chelsea, then 2 weeks later we knock them out of the cup and they only have 2 off target shots and both from outside the area.

City can win 3-1 or 4-2 in Barcelona; although I don't think they will. There is a chance though, and I don't think it's as unlikely as some do cause Barca are not the best at the back. Arsenal can win at Bayern, but I don't think they will seen as its a second leg and bayern have a very good defence to see out the win apart from Boateng.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What if City scores 2-0 at Camp Now ? The aggregate will be 2 each. Will they do penalty kicks to decide the winner ? That 2nd goal in the 90th minute be Alves really did hurt their chances. A one goal difference can be realistic, but two will be very difficult. In the UCL you really have to watch your tackles, it is not so lenient and severe as the Premiere League.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It would be extra time, then penalties. City don't seem to win many games by 1 goal these days, we either go all out with a few goals or just struggle to get them in at all.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks for the answer. Aguero hopefully will make the next match (march 12) at CampNou. He can be the difference maker.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think so. I believe we'd have won with him this week. We've rarely missed him that much.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

United will be knocked out next leg. Rooney mentioned UCL glory when he signed his massive extension - whatever.

Funny article on United and how many teams don't fear them anymore :
http://blog.sfgate.com/soccer/2014/02/2 ... bang-bang/

Hopefully, United will be in decline as a club w/ Old Fergie gone. Rooney and others will try to convince other top players to sign during the summer, as we all know Moyes is a 'football genius.' Martino is doing a fantastic job for his first year at Everton. As Wenger noted, the title will go to the last day w/ any of the top four clubs vying, including Liverpool. Athletico Madrid could have been in the top of the La Liga, however they dropped 2 out of their last 3 games. Seems like the stadium in San Sebastian is a fortress ( Barcelona can't seem to win there ).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If at city you don't take up your option on a cup game ticket, you miss the cup game (obviously). At united, they ban you for the next game too...
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ns-6750860
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Bad form though eh?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Crickey ! A (3) game ban that also includes the 2nd leg at Camp Nou is way too harsh. I, guess UEFA wants to make their point.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

After a glum few weeks finally some good news for city fans - joe harts been dropped for the Mickey Mouse cup final.

Unfortunate for the rest of us looking for lulz. Prob won't even watch the match.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm not sure why you bring the Joe Hart thing up. He's not been dropped, we have been playing Pantillimon in the cups for most of this season and last. Joe Hart only played league cup games when he was out of the first team. You really love to talk shit on him; it's weird, man. I can give him stick when he deserves it, but he's been great since coming back. If you're so obsessed with keeper performance, why not come on and talk about Mignolet's horrorshows in december? De Geas mistakes of late? You don't, because they are still quality players.

In regards to the league cup, I think it's been great this year. With a lot of teams around the top having new managers, and arsenal/liverpool just needing to win something, everyone has given it a good go and it's been competitive. I don't normally care for it, but I've really enjoyed it this year and would be gutted if we don't win it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

fairs fair. when jhart was restored to the city lineup a few games later he got a really bad cut to his eye. i gained new found respect for him that day & his willingness to bleed for the jersey. he put in a good performance that game if memory serves, tho could easily & justifiably come off injured (& prob should have, actually).
i forgot that respect this morning. & just wanted to revel in a bit of fun @ his expense. he is still a clown after all.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

He definitely seems a bit of a moron, but I don't think his ability can be questioned at the moment.

Can't believe Alan Pardew headbutted that Hull player today! Newcastle have enough issues going on without their manager acting like that. He's a total idiot. From him saying a player got "absolutely raped", calling Pellegrini an "old fucking cunt" and now this. He needs to go, how can you leave a prick like that in charge of a team?