For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

KingHarry
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Nice one flanno...
What's your inference there? Seriously.

Brilliant Liverpool. Would be a travesty for this title tilt to have been derailed by such astonishing incompetence from Anthony Taylor.
A fantastic win and a horrible hurdle navigated, particularly having to play last after wins for both City and Chelsea.

Not vintage, but job done.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

jack white wrote:
re arsenal
wth? shame on them giving poor everton fans hope!
:lol: :lol: :D

Nice finish from Arteta too.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

KingHarry wrote:

Brilliant Liverpool. Would be a travesty for this title tilt to have been derailed by such astonishing incompetence from Anthony Taylor.
A fantastic win and a horrible hurdle navigated, particularly having to play last after wins for both City and Chelsea.

Just trying to wind up those people going on about refs derailing liverpool's title bid.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:
jack white wrote:
re arsenal
wth? shame on them giving poor everton fans hope!
:lol: :lol: :D

Nice finish from Arteta too.
If ever there was a case of 'I told you so' it is here and all to do with Arsenal's bizarre hesitation in the transfer window. What an opportunity missed!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

Just trying to wind up those people going on about refs derailing liverpool's title bid.

No, still no clearer.

Seemed that you may be suggesting that John Flanagan took a dive to win the second penalty.
Remarkable if so.

Remarkable as in fucking stupid.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not a dive, not a penalty though. Would definitely have been a dive if it was another side though.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sorry I'm just being a troll like that other chap, you don't need to be so angry.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Chris Hughton has been sacked. Terrible decision by the ref in favour of city there.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Righto

*logs-off*
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:Chris Hughton has been sacked. Terrible decision by the ref in favour of city there.
:roll:

You just can't help yourself sometimes can you JT?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

cantona wrote:And i don't fucking worry because we will always have more and better fans than shitty.
:roll:

Same comment as I had for James.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone who thinks refs are derailing Liverpool's title bid needs their head examined. Yes we've had decisions go against us in big matches this season but jesus we've had some highly dubious calls go our way too. Swings and roundabouts.....we will win or lose it on merit, simple as that.

KingHarry you're giving Jack a lot of ammo! :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One of the big differences here in the US is we dont go after opposing fans. We go after mascots.
http://deadspin.com/here-is-a-cubs-masc ... ean-Newell
The comments under the story are pretty funny as well.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:Anyone who thinks refs are derailing Liverpool's title bid needs their head examined. Yes we've had decisions go against us in big matches this season but jesus we've had some highly dubious calls go our way too. Swings and roundabouts.....we will win or lose it on merit, simple as that.

KingHarry you're giving Jack a lot of ammo! :wink:
First things first - I'm not going to have a row with a fellow kopite at this time of delirious happiness.

... however, I'm not constructing some weird conspiracy theory - I'm just highlighting that allowing that goal could have knocked the stuffing out of the team. It was remarkably odd - linesman sees incident, referee clearly doesn't, ref confers with linesman where presumably linesman highlights the clear foul - ref ignores this and awards the goal. West Ham scorer walks back to the halfway line sheepishly pulling his tongue out.

I am a fantastically biased Liverpool fan, but I do think I have some capacity for rationale thought.
I'm struggling to think of these highly dubious calls that have gone our way that you refer to - I'm genuinely curious as to what they are?
Sterling pen at Stoke? We scored 5 goals there - but granted that was crucial period of the game and it was soft - but you could see why the referee (Anthony Taylor!) gave it - as he huffed and puffed his 16stone frame about 50 yards behind our sprinting winger.
Sturridge pen at OT, with Vidic off? An dive, but he had a clear pen not given 5 minutes later and I'm not sure it had any effect on a game where utd were well beaten.
Flanagan yesterday? At the time I thought it wasn't a pen - classic case of a weak incompetent ref knowing he'd dropped a bollock over their goal and wanting to level up, but having seen it again I think it was a penalty. I work in Manchester and the 2 utd fans in the office said the same.
I can't think of others?

On the other side you have Howard Webb twice looking directly at Suarez being taken out in the box (Arsenal, Chelsea) from 10 yards and not giving it. The one at Chelsea would have been a last minute spot kick to draw 2-2. Chelsea would now be a footnote in the title race.
And then that one yesterday, when the whole ground knew Carroll had committed a foul - they were even showing it on the big telly in the ground!
I'm not suggesting that this is some devious plan - just that both Webb and Taylor (and Mason and Friend, most of them actually), are completely incompetent.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

haha the tension's building already!

really looking forward to next weeks game - probably looking forward to the reactions on here after even more!
i hope the game's fully of controversy & misery! fingers crossed..

spzretent wrote:One of the big differences here in the US is we dont go after opposing fans. We go after mascots.
not even the official mascot. brilliant. i loved this one, "How depressing must one's life be that they go to a bar dressed as the CUB'S mascot?" it's too much.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:
not even the official mascot. brilliant. i loved this one, "How depressing must one's life be that they go to a bar dressed as the CUB'S mascot?" it's too much.
Underneath that giant head supposedly the guy is not nice at all. That area of Chicago is pretty funny on a game day. Lots of drunk baseball tourists. I cant imagine living in that area from April thru October.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I apologise for any trouble.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No worries. Just friendly banter until next Sunday. Nah, olan and kingharry seem like sensible folks. They say City just needs a drawon Sunday to hopefully win it outright if they don't drop anymore pts. or something like that.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd say a win for City would almost put Liverpool out of the race, but not quite. My liverpool fan colleague tends to agree, although still stranger things have happened in the final weeks.

A draw is a good result for city particularly cause we managed to get a couple of extra goals this weekend. A Liverpool win would keep it very exciting, as they still have to play Chelsea also and city have to go to Everton. The exciting option isn't the one I can cope with on this occasion.

I'd be ok with a draw, but we really need to go and get a win in this. Every time we've had a really great opportunity this season we have just fallen short,particularly at arsenal after taking the lead and dominating the opening.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I heard Aguero will be fit for the match, Anfield is a tough place to play.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Even if he is fit, I wouldn't imagine match fit. Save him on the bench til 60th minute or so, see how it goes. Dzeko is in a good place right now.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:No worries. Just friendly banter until next Sunday. Nah, olan and kingharry seem like sensible folks. They say City just needs a drawon Sunday to hopefully win it outright if they don't drop anymore pts. or something like that.
This is another of those games where I really would like to see an exciting match with both teams loosing 3-0. Sadly, this can't happen so I'll settle for a draw. I'm already dreading the Everton-City game if an Everton win would give Liverpool the title. Hopefully, it will all be done and dusted before that game.... :wink:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not one to enjoy mourinho getting his way, but I can't get mad at demba ba.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

spzretent wrote:One of the big differences here in the US is we dont go after opposing fans. We go after mascots.
Sorry, I’m confused. Is that an official mascot or just some dude in a bear suit?

High comedy though, really made me laugh.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No, just a bloke wearing a suit. The other bloke was not 'an opposing fan'. He was just fucking around (perhaps drunk) and should have not done that. I didn't think it was funny. Violence has escalated where a man is still in a vegetative state after getting beat up for supporting the wrong team i.e.- Brian Stowe (giants fan).
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

That was probably Utd's fans happiest 90 seconds of the whole season. :lol:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:No, just a bloke wearing a suit. The other bloke was not 'an opposing fan'. He was just fucking around (perhaps drunk) and should have not done that. I didn't think it was funny. Violence has escalated where a man is still in a vegetative state after getting beat up for supporting the wrong team i.e.- Brian Stowe (giants fan).
Equating this to Brian Stowe is a reach. He was beat up because he was a Giants fan at Dodger Stadium. Not condoning anything. This guy is an "unofficial" Cubs mascot and is a notorious asshole around Wrigley Field. He doesn't get paid to do this and because he is sort of anonymous he thinks he can get away with being a jerk. A few punches were thrown. it is funny to me.
Disclaimer: No mascots were hurt in this video. Only one asshole's pride.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Not surprised by Athetico, they have a good shot beating the two Spanish giants.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pleased for Athletico, they're doing a great job
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Norwich in huge trouble now. Maybe Fulham can survive afterall? Sunderland are pretty much gone now, although the 2 games in hand gives them a little hope.

Kompany left training injured today, hope he can make tomorrows game... I don't have a good feeling about that game, but I know even if we do lose we can still get the title if we win the remaining games. It would be extremely difficult for liverpool to beat both city and chelsea, Even Norwich away could be hard now after todays result, they are in dire need of a result and sometimes these are the games where it happens.

That said, I shouldn't be so negative before a ball is kicked. Liverpool have been the top side in England since new year, we just have to try and break that. We have a great side, it can be done.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Should be a good one, as well sentimental with the anniversary of the Hillsborough tradegy.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't argue with this, nightmare showing.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Top class showing from the City fans during the minute of silence. Sadly, I understand that there was chanting before the Everton-Sunderland game during the memorial. Sometimes it is hard to understand the depths of the idiocy displayed on the terraces.

Liverpool are really given City the treatment though.....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Nailed on penalty we didn't get there, but in fairness it would be an injustice to football for us to score the way we've played so far.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Take that back, certainly should've had at least one towards the end of that half! Great game, Liverpool started too fast for us. Shame for the neutral that they got 2 early ones.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

olan wrote:Sometimes it is hard to understand the depths of the idiocy displayed on the terraces.
a debate for another time, but definitely..

city showing all the spirit we've come to expect from a bunch of mercenaries. nasri.. smh. what a waste of space & talent. dzeko's obv already moved to milan in his head. pathetic stuff.

ha liverpool have blown up

city have been superb the last 10mins tho, finally found some energy started pressing liverpool winning the ball back & passing quickly. liverpool look on the ropes..

ha! great game. kompany's been a rock this half so far before that blooper. tasty finish from liverpools best player today.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Kompany had a shocker, to blame for 2 if not all of their goals. A real shame for him. Bad ref is all I will say.

Fair play to Liverpool though, outstanding for 30 minutes and then did well to get the third when city on top. Great game for the neutral.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

p jelly of liverpool fans atm... an absolutely amazing time for them. & the team is a credit to the manager. brilliant stuff all round.
city have a lot of questions to be answered. a few old problems raised their head again when it mattered most.. they should be doing more with what they have whereas liverpool are overachieving - to a degree.

brilliant game. few decisions clattenburg didn't give (either way) but overall fair result & a really exciting game.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Phew...what a game. Skrtel got away with a clear handball, but (and I say this through gritted teeth) Liverpool were the better side.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

By all accounts, sounded like a fantastic match ! Not ready to concede defeat yet. It is really City to decide their fate for their remaining games. Good job Reds.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Liverpool were the better side for 35 minutes, city were well well on top for lost of the game after that. Missed an amazing chance to go 3 up.

I think saying city were poor at the start is a discredit to Liverpool, they played brilliant to start.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote:By all accounts, sounded like a fantastic match ! Not ready to concede defeat yet. It is really City to decide their fate for their remaining games. Good job Reds.
Eh? Not at all.
Liverpool are clearly in the drivers seat. Chelsea have more control over their fate than City. One(or both) of them will drop points when Chelsea play at Anfield. But City are no longer in control of anything.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If Liverpool finish the season having won their last 14 games, no one can say they don't deserve it. That said, mourinho doesn't lose many of these kinda of games, so if city win their remaining games they will win the title. Do I think city will do that? Probably not. If Chelsea won today (looking good with an extra man right now), I think they are in a great position to win it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Bloody hell!!! Five more points and we've guaranteed fourth spot.

I really don't know how much more of this my heart can take. Was listening on the radio (as I have for all the league games this season, don't want to jinx them now by actually watching it live on telly! ) so can't comment on any dodgy decisions that occurred, will wait to watch MOTD2 tonight. At half time I predicted it to finish 2-2 and I certainly didn't see Liverpool winning it when City managed to pull it back, but somehow...somehow... :D

This is going all the way. Nurse...prepare my medicine...
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Awful decisions aside, we missed 2 incredible chances, had one cleared off the line, a great save from mignolet too. We can't really blame the ref for not winning as you need to take chances as well a getting decisions in any game like that. Kompany made a shocking error for the 3rd goal, but you can not take away from that finish from coutinho!

That Henderson tackle was a shocker.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

it was ^ but it was made out of desperation rather than malice in fairness to him. henderson really isn't that type of player.

the game really had everything once he got sent off.
(he was caught in two minds when he got possession he didn't know whether to control it or pass & in the end did neither & lost the ball - but the fault was initially the heavy touch by moses who miscontrolled. if he had held onto the ball like a sensible person henderson wouldn't have been in that position).
before that tho there were so many instances where the game was decided on a matter of inches - living up to the old adage that johnny giles is so fond of. david silva's missed by inches, kompany's miskick.. & they were properly punished in the end, the way it should be. a draw would've been a disservice to the league & campaign it's been.

i LOVED skrtel's handball. there's cheating, which is always funny, & then there's cheating in vital moments which is on a whole other level of funny. he knew what he was doing & got away with it.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You can laugh but if it was dimichaelis you would be laying into city something rotten now.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Nah I wouldn't I'd have laughed & defended him - like I did when he got sent off vs Barca. He'd have been doing what a crafty centre back should do - like what he did when he cleaned out Messi..

I said @ the start he was an accident waiting to happen & he proved to be so, but kompany was culpable for a lot of what went wrong for him in the 2nd half of this season,

He's good on the ball tho Demichelis. He maybe was a deep lying midfielder at a time. Better distribution than either Garcia or Fernandinho today. Good w/both feet.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ferna had a shocker today! Milner was outstanding.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I felt at half-time that I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we'd gone in 3-up. It felt as though we perhaps could have as we were fantastic again, and I expected a bit of an onslaught after the break.

To be honest, the win felt like a bonus because we were completely punched out in the 2nd half and on the ropes. Tremendous finish from Coutinho - although I couldn't see the goal coming.

The level of expectation, the tension, and the build-up made it feel like an old-school Wembley trip. It will sound like romantic tripe to fans of other clubs - but Anfield is a special place for games like this, and the feel good factor is immense. I was hugging people with deep deep feeling, like a wide-eyed kid - people I've sat alongside for YEARS and only ever really exchanged fleeting conversation with. I can't get enough of it at the moment - although having said all that, it is horrifically fucking painful also, I feel the stress is causing lasting damage to vital organs.

Feel sorry for Henderson - not sure it was necessary to send him off. I've not seen it since, but looked like a knackered player with a heavy touch and a wild attempt to regain possession. We will miss him for the next couple (?) of games. Pleasing that Luis managed to stay on the pitch, seemed like a coil spring throughout. Special praise to Sterling and Flanagan. 12-mths ago no Liverpool fan would have imagined either to be playing such a role, or even still at the club - both now completely immense.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was unfortunate he got in that situation, but he had to go. It was a really dangerous challenge, not just a crappy late one.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

James T:

I'm looking at the rest of the fixtures for the season and looking at it, the Everton (away) match looks the toughest down the stretch out of them all, but any given day one can be beaten by a lesser opponent :

Sunderland (Etihad)
West Brom (Etihad)
Crystal Palace (away)
Everton (away)
Aston Villa (Etihad)
W.Ham (Etihad)

Let's say City win all of their remaining matches and so do Chelsea and Liverpool, except their upcoming match Chelsea vs. Liverpool. One of those clubs will drop pts.
Who do we need to lose, Chelsea or Liverpool to win in the end ???

I've broken down the standings : Games Played Goal Difference Points

Liverpool 34 51 77
Chelsea 34 42 75
City 32 54 70

Chelsea (2) vs. City (1) Oct.27,2013
LFC (1) vs. City (2) Dec.26,2013
Chelsea (1) vs. City (0) Feb.3,2014
LFC (3) vs. City (2) April 13,2014

Are we looking at points, as well as goal difference here ?

* I spaced them out, but the figures merged i.e. - 34 51 77 ( games played, goal difference, points)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If city win all their remaining games we would just need Liverpool to drop points in one game, which looks likely against Chelsea for me . I don't think city will win all their games though, and I think Liverpool could drop points in even their next 3, all tough games and it's been a hell of a run for them that has to end sooner or later. I have a feeling Chelsea will win it.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Awful awful performance after a perfect start.. Another poor show from kompany. All teams drop points in games like this, but you can't at this point of the season. Got to prey for a norwich won v Liverpool and a draw in the Chelsea Liverpool game.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I hope Sunderland can pull through today against Chelsea. Their still is a sliver of hope ...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sunray wrote:Anyone who thinks refs are derailing Liverpool's title bid needs their head examined. Yes we've had decisions go against us in big matches this season but jesus we've had some highly dubious calls go our way too. Swings and roundabouts.....we will win or lose it on merit, simple as that.

a lot of calls going liverpools way lately.. the fix is in!

i don't actually believe that. i just think clattenburg bottled it a bit last week & mike dean had an amazing, horrendous game this evening. guy should be taken off the referee's list.

i actually thought liverpool were facing a potential banana skin in their game vs palace (were it not for rodgers, pulis would be manager of the season), but this chelsea/sunderland result has given them breathing space - IF suarez does to norwich what he usually does to them tomorrow..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

LFC need 3 wins and draw from last 4 games to guarantee the title.

Not a bad place to be, but much work to be done.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

think they can win it in the chelsea game?? depending on other results of course.
can't imagine they'll need 10pts from the games.

edit - yea it's apparently possible if liverpool beat norwich & chelsea & everton get at least a draw against city it'll be done.
don't know if the maths are particularly important. be a shock if liverpool blow it from this position. they should do norwich & newcastle handy enough. palace will maybe have finally switched-off & the chelsea one could be a mad one.
liverpool fans should start counting their chickens so to speak ;)
all 19 of them..
it's over.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:think they can win it in the chelsea game?? depending on other results of course.
can't imagine they'll need 10pts from the games.

edit - yea it's apparently possible if liverpool beat norwich & chelsea & everton get at least a draw against city it'll be done.
don't know if the maths are particularly important. be a shock if liverpool blow it from this position. they should do norwich & newcastle handy enough. palace will maybe have finally switched-off & the chelsea one could be a mad one.
liverpool fans should start counting their chickens so to speak ;)
all 19 of them..
it's over.
It's absolutely not. It seems strange that every time one of the others drops points it doesn't seem to make much difference to how many wins we need. Would have made it more straight forward if City hadn't equalised late on in the week - 3 wins would have been enough then. City could drop points, but could also win the last 5 games. In terms of 'blowing it', LFC could win 13 of their last 14 fixtures and still not be champions.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Looking at the remaining fixtures for the Reds and it isn't given. After the Norwich match tomorrow will be the Blues and don't overlook Crystal Palace. They have pulled together like 4+ wins and is it is an away game and they are mid table level.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's a very odd situation at the moment, because if Liverpool drop points against Norwich city look to be in a good position again. Mourinho 9 times out of 10 gets a result in these big games. Exciting.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:It's a very odd situation at the moment, because if Liverpool drop points against Norwich city look to be in a good position again. Mourinho 9 times out of 10 gets a result in these big games. Exciting.
It has been a weird season and today was mad, but let's face it, it is most likely that Liverpool are going to rip Norwich a new on tomorrow. Suarez almost always gets a hat trick against Norwich who look doomed.

On the other hand, Sunderland cheered me right up. I get a childishly large degree of satisfaction when a manager flounces out in a huff at the end of a defeat.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was most likely that city would with sunderland though also, our home form (in the league at least) is near perfect. Norwich, having seen Sunderland grab a win and also after seeing fulham lose, will have that bit of motivation from this weekends games which could carry them through. Norwich got a point against city at home, and they could do the same with Liverpool. They can get a bit of a gap with 1 win.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Norwich has nothing to play for i.e. - premiere title other than pride at home. The Reds should not overlook them. The black cats have put one over on city and chelsea.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They are playing to stay up. That is most definitely something.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well i'm glad liverpool have scored 2 in the first ten mins. means i can go do something else now.
hope norwich get relegated. absolutely rubbish. contributed nothing to the epl.
gonna burn brightly
for a while