Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: City vs United

Post by spacemanrich »

Disappointing. And against Sunderland and your right about away games. City just plays awful away from Etihad Stadium, wait until they play the Hotspurs on Nov.24. My God, has United moved up the table and Rooney seems to be in top form and now RVP is back in the lineup from his injury. Going to be a tight race to the top and even just placing Top 4 for the Championship League. Liverpool is on fire, Sturridge/Gerrard/Suaraz.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well I don't think there's any doubting we're the best team at home with another big win, 6-0 over Tottenham. If we could get that away form in order (or more the defending, we have scored plenty away too) I'd say we still have a great chance to win the title and even go a good distance in the Champions League (but not win it, I don't think we're getting that far just yet)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Got Lloris in my fantasy team..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

James,

Even though it was a shutout yesterday, how is Pantillimon playing ?

Pelligrini still is not confident with Hart.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Made one poor error, one good save, otherwise untested. Reasonable distribution, which is probably Harts weakest area for me.

Hart is playing on Wednesday, it has been confirmed. I reckon he will stay in the team after that, and prove himself. He did well against Germany. At his best he looked like he couldn't be bettered, so I hope he will get back to that but it has been a while since now!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't know, Joe Hart conceded two goals against Plzen. He might have to sit on the bench a little bit longer on the domestic side ?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Pantillimon is here to stay, looks like he notched (4) saves today. Hopefully, Man U will lose pts. to Everton on their next match.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think United will drop points this weekend, but they're not as bad as they looked earlier in the season so I wouldn't be overly surprised if they won comfortably. they just need to hit top gear more. If they do drop points, city could realistically be 5/6 points clear of them (I think we will beat west brom) and can concentrate more on the real issue; arsenal. Chelsea look weak at the back to me so I'd like to think they will drop a fair few points. We lost to them and they were incredibly lucky with that, and so we could and should beat them at our own place.

Hart? I hope with all my heart he is back in the team by the end of the month. We have to play arsenal and liverpool (both at home, thankfully) and we need to resolve the keeper thing before that. I was all for giving pantillimon a chance and hart sitting out for a while, but not when its coming to this really important period. He has been solid the past few seasons and will be again. Lets not forget this guy has the record number of EPL games in a row, he didn't miss one single game for seasons; of course he needs a break whatever he thinks. The plzen game was not a good one for him to play in the end; the defence was utterly shocking. He maybe could have done better with one of the goals, but that's being harsh (especially after being out of the team). His distribution however was absolutely AWFUL. He has always needed to work on that, and would do well to start now. He made some good saves, and lets not forget he won us the game against CSKA Moscow away, which ultimately progressed us from the group for the first time ever.

Pantillimon has played OK, but he brings a fair amount on uncertainty into a defence which is already struggling enough as it is. He makes some good saves, but he has had very little to do in the games he played in as most have come during our ridiculous home streak. Bear in mind also that he too conceded 2 goals at home in a european game.

Major concerns player-wise...
Javi Garcia: Worst player in the premier league. Unbelievable that he has a career. So shocked about this still.
Micah Richards: Has been injurred for way too much of the time over the past 2 seasons, has been really poor when he has played. They NEED to play him at centre back alongside kompany, he has no positional awareness to be a right back even if his forward runs are dangerous.
Nastasic: Really struggling for form, but I do believe he will be among the best in the word in a few years, he is only 20?
Dimichaelis: Wow, I thought he would do a job but he has been dogshit. Hope he can turn it around because he was one of my favourite players when he was at Bayern. He is near the end of his career but as a centre back should be able show his experience and class (which was there once, honest)...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

garcia is crap.
yer boy javi martinez who they'd wanted to sign is vastly overrated too.

is rodwell injured? shame he can't get a run. he's shown flashes at city he could have more influence than garcia.

silva 's stock seems to have fallen as well?
granted nasri had a decent game at the weekend but really he's not fit to lace silva's boots.

aye demichelis is shite always has been
same w/micah richards.

yea nastasic has potential but is suffering a bit of second season syndrome. he'll come thru it tho. prob just a little too much responsibility for such a young CB. too much pressure w/kompany's injury problems & the fact the other city centre backs are useless, not to mention dodgy goalkeepers.. he needs better support than they've given him.

joe hart's broken. he'll never be fixed. he's just got no brain.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Silva is injured, but has been brilliant this season. Rodwell is always injured, but I rate him .

Nasri is back to his best this year also, been superb in many games not just the ones he scores in.

Dimichaelis always been crap? Strange opinion!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

strange? nah he's always been dodgy & error prone.
his career is built upon his time at bayern where they dominated a period where the bundesliga was really weak & lacking competition.
in his time there bayern got to one champions league final & him & van buyten were destroyed by diego milito & badly exposed by inters class up front.
& i think i'm correct in remembering he had a bad world cup after that as well - tho argentina were poor & badly balanced then. i actually think he was a bit of a clown at that world cup & kept making loads of mistakes, like an argentinian wes brown!

he's not the calm reliable old head city fans thought they were getting.

Edit: even victor anichebe got a goal off him tonight & anichebe is really rubbish.
City must have concerns over how injury prone kompany is?? Hopefully he's put them behind him now but he does seem to have broken down a lot this past year or so..??

i do hope nasri continues his current form. he does have flashes of magic even if he is frustrating & flakey.
a lot of the time he seems to have a purple patch then go missing for the rest of the year. is he maybe helped by silva being out? in that he is having to take on extra responsibility rather than wait for someone else to do it for him??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Everton managed to score in the waning minutes of the game, as well City won as well ( one of their 1st win away ). Aguero is just on fire. Yeah, your right United started poorly due to the fact that the first 4 games were against top tier clubs but Rooney has played very well recently keeping them in contention, but now I see them dropping off. Tonight was Kompany's first match in awhile, this season he has been riddled with injuries. Nasri could be just playing well due to a new manager, I'm not sure how well he got on w/ Mancini ?

The new Adidas World Cup ball is fantastic with this ribbon design. I have to pick one of these up :
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/12/ ... as-brazuca

For the Ballon d' Or winner, I give the nod to CR7. He put Portugal on his back, as well as playing fantastic in the Champions League and La Liga.

It'll be interesting to see the World Cup Draw on Dec.9.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Kompany had a lot of injury problems last year also. Nasri was one of the only players to speak out in favour of Mancini after he was sacked, but I definitely think the new manager has had a huge impact on his game.

Good result last night, but really got to tighten up at the back. 2 goals right at the end. A Pantillimon own goal and a soft effort after that. Not pleased to let those in...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea cron should win the balloon door
imo ribery's well overrated. schweinsteiger or lahm would be my pick from the bayern team.

don't think much of the world cup ball. am not a fan of these glider balls. they need to go back to he 32 panel ones. even the 16 panel ones. not this 6/floating beach ball crap. people just kick it hard & it flies off every which way. w/the old balls you have proper precision & controlled power rather than just brute force.

hopefully kompanys injury probs are behind him
but he does seem to break down a lot
seems like one of those knacked defenders already.. hopefully he makes it to the world cup fully fit. looking forward to watching belgium.
hazard looked in sparkling form vs sunderland last night. he's a great player imo well on his way to being one of best in the world. love watching him play.

suarez mujst be up there w/the zola's bergkamps in terms of greatest players to play in the epl. you'd be hard pressed to find 4 better goals than the one's he scored last night.

here's a cool celebration & a decent goal too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw52Oxp4BYs&app=desktop
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

oh & on a slightly different topic i've a bit of an axe to grind about referees. last night was an exciting night in the premiership but there were a handful of really poor decisions from the refs.

there needs to be both more scrutiny & more support for the referee's. one man on the field just cannot handle the pace of the game. howard webb made a mess of the swansea/newcastle game - missed a clear handball, didn't give another one he say seconds later & jonjo shelvey should've been sent off.
there were a few other bad decisions scattered across the games.

a lot of the ref's are really petty mean little men. they need to be made an example of. ir
i don't think howard webb is one of those he just had a bad night at the office. there are plenty who aren't dickheads but they need support too.
there needs to be an official in the stand or pitchside w/access to video. there's just too many mistakes blighting the game & zero accountability from refs who are untouchable & have no authority to answer to. the press & pundits should be focusing more of their attn on the standard of refereeing imo to try and enact a change in philosophy. the attitudes & refereeing of the game are stuck in the 20th century.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Refereeing this season has been the worst I've seen in a long time. So many bad bad bad decisions. I do think there will have to be some real punishments brought in for refs who clearly make a wrong decision. A player gets a 2/3 game ban for impacting the game the same way a ref sometimes does.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

United will drop pts. this weekend, especially without RVP and Rooney in the lineup.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's entirely possible, they really do look in an unhealthy state right now. Imagine, if they had of lost that Arsenal game they would be 18 points behind now.

Then again, if they had beat City they would be level with us. Narrow margins in the football world...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Van Persie transfer request? It looks like it.. But who knows?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

watching the man u game now & it looks like van persie wants to be anywhere else but on the field. i didn't know about the transfer request til logging on here but i wouldn't be at all surprised on the evidence of today. he's playing with no energy or hunger, moping around the place.

utd have been shocking in the first half. it's amazing what a difference paul scholes made - just in keeping simple possession nevermind being a creative force from the midfield.

jones & cleverly are a joke of a central midfield. nani is just terrible in everything he does, so stupid. he'll prob score now..
Last edited by jack white on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ha!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Had a bet on Newcastle, need a few other results to go with it though..
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Newcastle were far far better. They controlled the game for long periods, especially after the goal. They passed the ball far more incisively than utd & had more good possession.

Really need to bring back scholes!

In a sense it is sad seeing the likes of Zaha Rafael jones cleverly Nani Valencia wearing the utd jersey. You do like to see the big clubs with great players & teams.
But for the time being it's still funny as hell! & at the same time Ferg won titles w/these average players. But he did have scholes keeping them ticking over & conducting them. I know I keep harping on about him but he really is irreplacable.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

HA - I hope the rumours are true about RVP. Doesn't want to stay on a sinking ship.

I also see Rooney not wanting to extend his contract after 2014 not if Moyes is still managing ? I still think they don't get on after Rooney leaving Everton and the litigation - 500,000 pounds is a lot to hold a grudge against even if your a millionaire. :oops:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If Arsenal fail to win it's a good week at least a little for city with united (now out of it) and chelsea both losing. We play liverpool at home in a few weeks, so that gives us chance to flip that one around.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

S'hampton are a really good side so wouldn't be too quick to say about city's away record in this case.

Will learn more about arsenal tomorrow & in the city game next week which I'm really looking fwd to. I kinda hope they beat Everton 'cause that really increases the importance of the arsenal/city game. I still make city favourites for the title but its not been as easy for them as it should've been, they've created a few problems for themselves & arsenal have been surprisingly efficient.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Geez - I guess 1 pt. Is better than nothing. They just can't win away for some reason. Bayern this week will be challenging, to say the least.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

It's a dead rubber game vs bayern tho. They could even give joe hart a game in that one!

Bayern duffed Bremen 7-0 today away. Best team in Europe by miles, gotta be favourites for repeating treble. Tho you'd like to think their two centre backs will be exposed somewhere a along the line..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm looking forward to seeing us really go at Bayern. We have nothing to lose and ave to win by 3 to make it mean anything, so hopefully that will mean a good attacking performance which we have previously been afraid of in Europe. Who knows, maybe we an surprise ourselves.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I'll tell you who city should sign - Luke shaw. Cracking left back good w/both feet.
Ha they're talking him up on motd right now. I'd say great minds think alike but shearer.. Hmm..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Let that guy develop where he is, we don't need title challenging sides buying more players that aren't gonna make the cut week-in week-out.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well we set the record straight there, shame that Pellegrini inexplicably didn't realise 4-2 would've sent us through!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Jack White like you said the match doesn't count, only bragging rights. Also, it's an opportunity for Pellegrini to try different lineups, etc., but it sure was nice to win at Allianz Stadium. Joe Hart conceded two goals in 12 minutes - back to the bench NOW !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

For christ's sake, joe hart conceded 2 badly defended offside goals. How that is his fault I'll never know. The only logical thing is that you're joking? The "best keeper in the world" let in 3 goals, lets pay 40 million for him.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And the match does count, it helps our coefficient for next year and if we scored the extra goal which we nearly did we win the group. It will do wonders for our confidence. They are the best team in the world right now, and they played full strength at home. We won.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Terrific result for City, definitely a confidence booster, with both teams qualified and City resting players ahead of Arsenal ,not sure it was played totally `balls out` but there was some ferocious tackling from both sides , it was no bounce match that's for sure, would look forward to seeing a full strength City meeting up with Bayern again later on in the competition ,
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

didn't see any of the footy last night but yea that's a superb result for city & lolz @ the 4th goal misunderstanding

& yea good point james re the co-efficient.

all positives for city. they've proven they can mix it w/the big boys. good to keep that result in their back pocket to draw on in the knockout stages.

& so much for the poor away form, eh?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Won all 3 away games in Europe, who would've thought? Especially with trips to Bayern and a CSKA stadium which hadn't been played on for months and was painted green in parts to make it look like it was ok. Not an easy team to beat away either, CSKA.

Glad Plzen got a win yesterday to get in the europa league; they gave us a real game at our place and against Bayern too! Deserved some credit from their efforts this group.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

looking forward to today's game. what's the weather like in manchester?

arsenal coming in on the back of some bumpy form, they've defo taken a perceptible dip in performance & results.
city really seem to be hitting their stride & are supreme at home.

i was kinda hoping arsenal start w/walcott. drop arteta make room for walcott.
i think he probably gives them a different dimension, a different option to the blend they currently have. away from home especially that extra outlet can be their most potent weapon on the break.

& i kinda hope arsenal win as well. i don't think they will, but they have a small chance if they can contain city & take their chances.
i mean i hope they win for the chase for the title. i believe once city close the gap & go in front that will be that.
altho arsenal are beating the smaller teams & i suppose they could still mount a challenge off the back of that, but i still think they'll fall away at some stage. & you can tell the champions league seeding will have bruised them & it'll affect them down the line. they always blow up during that week of the season, actually.
city have a lot more goodwill about their euro adventures - it's like everything this season is a bonus, which i don't think is good enough really i think city should have higher expectations than just qualifying for the nxt round - you think psg don't have aspirations of winning it? city should consider themselves challengers or be asking why they're not & demanding that they should be.

but maybe the balance of expectations will change after todays game. city could whop them.
hopefully it's a great game. silva/ozil/carzola/ramsey/toure/aguero it's looking good..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great win ! I hope Aguero's injury is not serious.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just got back from the match. Had an absolute terror hangover after DJing last night but made it through. Left with a minute to go at 5-2, missed 2 more goals! What a game, I was nervous at 3-2 but I think we really deserved it. It's not even that arsenal played badly, but we really were superb. Disappointed to concede 3 but both centre backs did play well, nothing really could be done about the second and third goals (particularly second) but the first one was very poor to concede. Fernandinho is an exceptionally intelligent footballer and it was nice to see him score a couple today (first one was a belter).

Really hope the aguero injury isn't serious but it looks like it might be at least a few weeks. We can cope without him, Jovetic is back now and negredo is top top top. Dzeko has finally started to irritate me but I am still a big fan when he's in the right frame of mind.

Negredo played very very well today, but imagine if he put his shooting boots on? It really could have been 10, and we let ourselves down conceding 3 goals. That said, we also gave an amazing account of ourselves over the course of the match. Had a dicky 10 minutes after the third goal but wow, what a team we are at home.

I honestly don't think there has been a better team in the premier league history as this city team at home. Shame we can't replicate it away, but I really do feel it is just a matter of time before we become a seriously impressive side against any team.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

it was a really entertaining game.
some of city's attacking play & passing was wonderful to watch. they passed arsenal off the park. & they were first to every ball, they wanted it more. in every tackle they dominated. they won their inches & forced arsenal into a lot of poor passes. arsenal gave the ball away so much because city played at such a high intensity, arsenal couldn't live with them & when city got the ball they were just superb. it was a privilege to watch it to be honest, it was that good i thought.

arsenal had their moments but i think city will be annoyed they conceded three. i actually thought demichelis had a poor enough game & was slow on a few offsides that could've went arsenals way. lurch had a poor game too. there is a weakness there which i think undermines james' notion they're one of the prems best ever teams. certainly the front 5 or 6 have really started to dominate & fulfil their potential this term so far (+ zabaleta, the best right back in world football at present), but there is a weakness at the back still in that slot beside kompany (who was terrific today) & in nets.
they need a new goalkeeper. joe hart is not the answer. he's the original cause of the problem. i don't know if the solution lies within the club but lurch will cost them again & other teams won't be as generous & open as arsenal were today.
arsenal's passing game really let them down today, wilshere shouldn't of been picked ahead of carzola. ramsey got outmuscled & outmaneuvered by fernandinho, rosicky would've offer more guile. i think wenger should've went for those more experienced players today, arsenal wouldn't have been quite as helter skelter or careless in possession.

i think city should prob bring joleon lescott back in until the summer. bringing a keeper in in jan is a priority. then address the defence in the summer & any other business that crops up. there might be someone in they can sign in jan but given they've got nastasic, dimichelis & lescott on the books i can't see them making room for another centreback so soon. it remains a problem area, & cover for kompany. they're still not perfect is all i'm saying really, cause some of the play today was as good as it gets.
i loved watching that today.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I only mean how we've played at home is the best I've seen in the premier league. Of course there was some weaknesses at the back today, but we've only conceded 2 at home prior to that, only going behind in a game for 1 minute. That is spectacular.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Barcelona in the UCL eh? Really looking forward to that. Flight prices have been pushed up to extortionate levels so I can;t make the away trip, but will certainly be at the home leg in Feb.

3-1 to city at our place I say. At barca? I just don't know what to expect. They can't defend and we can definitely score. We can defend slightly better and they score slightly less.... Still, it's gonna be tight.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The draw w/ Barca is not disappointing. Their not as strong as previous years due to new manager, Martino ? Or Messi's injuries ? They say Messi will be back next year, beginning of the second half if he can stay healthy ? The first leg in Manchester definately gives City a good advantage and can capitalize on aggregate points ! Athletico Madrid or Real Madrid can win the La Liga this year, instead of Barca.

Jack White - good one ! It took me two reads before I understood it. I couldn't figure out this ' lurch ' bloke you've been talking about. I guess that is how you spell Lurch in the Addam's Family. He certainly looks like him ! Being too tall can be a disadvantage - loss of mobility. 2.03 meters is quite impressive on paper, but is Pantilimon agile or a lumbering giant ? As I have yet to see him play. Yeah, I don't know when and if Hart will play domestically, it's up to Pellegrini and how comfortable he is in with him. I don't know what the market is like for goalkeepers, I don't reckon it is that plentifuly? Hopefully, United will drop points w/ RVP out at least a month, same time for Aguero.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Aguero will be a big miss without doubt but as I said previously I think we can cope. Jovetic can hopefully prove his worth now he's fit, and I also think Guidetti has a lot to offer.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

City through to the Semi Finals of the capital one cup. Not a major trophy by any means but would love to win the first trophy on offer, gives us something to build on for the rest of the season. Chelsea just been knocked out in extra time by Sunderland.

I can't say I'd be too worried about playing any of the remaining teams, even united/spurs but even they could both go out tomorrow. Obviously anyone can beat anyone in these kinds of games, but I think we'll be up for it.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Clash of the Titans on Boxing Day ! I'm a little gutted that I won't be able to watch this match between City and Liverpool. I predict : City (3) : Liverpool (0). Yes, Hart will have a clean sheet and Suarez will be held goal- less - first time in an EPL match this year !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hope you're right! I'll be heading over there right from work, looking forward to it!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

First time since 92' that the top 5 clubs are within 2 points going into Boxing Day. Damm, United won at West Ham to pull within 5th place in the table. It's going to be one of the closest race in ages. I hope City can pull it off tonite.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spacemanrich wrote:Clash of the Titans on Boxing Day ! I'm a little gutted that I won't be able to watch this match between City and Liverpool. I predict : City (3) : Liverpool (0). Yes, Hart will have a clean sheet and Suarez will be held goal- less - first time in an EPL match this year !
Suarez hasn't scored in a few this season, Hull immediately springs to mind. Hoping for Liverpool not to be beat but I don't have high hopes for us.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Suarez was a disgrace today. This is what puts me off classing him as the best in the league, he goes missing in games like this and cheats every time he has the opportunity. Liverpool were outstanding today, but he really let them down especially when they handed him the captaincy.

Joe Hart was outstanding and he really deserves that after the stick he took. Liverpool made the mistake of sitting back when they took the lead, and I'm delighted city could turn it around. It was a good match to be at!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Only seen a 2 minute package on youtube so can't comment on Suarez's performance, what I will say though is yet another goal conceded by Liverpool at a set piece :roll: :evil: This has been going on for years under numerous managers, it baffles me why no one has been able to sort it out.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think plenty of teams can look at set pieces as an area to improve, but it's just difficult these days with the amount of analysis going on before and after each match.

Tough game against Palace today, I could not spend my money to watch that team play "football". He did it at stoke and now he's turned them into this anti-football nonsense. Fair play, it got them the best result out of anyone else at our place this season; but it's just not good to watch. nice finish from Dzeko and again some great work from Joe Hart.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Suarez was a disgrace today. This is what puts me off classing him as the best in the league, he goes missing in games like this and cheats every time he has the opportunity. Liverpool were outstanding today, but he really let them down especially when they handed him the captaincy.

Joe Hart was outstanding and he really deserves that after the stick he took. Liverpool made the mistake of sitting back when they took the lead, and I'm delighted city could turn it around. It was a good match to be at!
He's undoubtedly the best player in the league. He's probably the most talented player ever to have played for Liverpool FC (possibly other than John Barnes 88-91) and is a pleasure to watch.
He never goes missing in games 'like this' which is one of the things that sets him apart - an outlandishly talented player who never fails to graft.
He seeks advantages certainly and drew attention to being grappled to the floor in the dying minutes like anyone else would (although Skrtl is making a career of it and will pay for it soon). His 'cheating' is hardly unique and he's hardly the worst, pretty much everyone does it to some degree - he's just the panto dame who's continually picked up on it.
Looking forward to him knocking England out of the WCup - just hope he's still at Anfield when it happens.

LFC doing well - fluent in attack, but still chaotic at defending set-pieces.
We play Chelsea tomorrow - I'm partially confident as they look moribund and it would be great to get one over that monumental fraud / wanker Mourinho, but if any team is likely to target a weakness at set-pieces and be best placed to exploit it, it's them.

City have picked up important points over Christmas and look well placed, but I believe they have all the tricky away games to come (other than Chelsea) in 2nd half of the season, so could still be some surprises.

Moyes doing a great job at utd. He was over-egging the pudding a bit there for a while, but a few minor wins has them just where we want them - not crap enough where they will be forced to sack him, but not good enough where they will actually trouble the top places (we hope).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Suarez was over the top in that match. He cheated all the way through. I was there and could hear him screaming from the stands, I have watched the game twice since. He does go missing in bigger games and gets frustrated and cheats in these games. He is an outstanding player, but he is a cheat when it doesn't go his way. Grappled to the floor? That certainly sounds as if you're biassed, it was much of a muchness. If they gave that, city would also have had 2,3,4 penalties in the same game.

I would have had no complaints with a draw and liverpool were great that night, but I'm not gonna sit here and ignore what I saw from that guy. All his "controversial" moments have come in big games where he has been having a hard time, he needs to cut that out and he will be among the best.

Picture the scene. 2-2 and needing a goal for the title, through on goal with a minute to go and someone slides in and fouls you... Aguero in this situation stayed on his feet and scored one of the most important goals in recent football history. Suarez would DEFINITELY have thrown himself down and maybe not have got the penalty (even though it should have been a penalty if the player had've gone down).

Balotelli is the same. Cheats when it doesn't go right. it costs him decisions he deserves at other times and it serves them right.

Suarez runs crouched over at crotch height and barges in to players, it's hard to withstand that without grabbing whatever you get given the chance to. Right or wrong.

If he was about to be grappled to the floor, he would not have had the opportunity to be so theatrical to jump in the air as if he'd just had a cattle prod in his arse. Seriously, you should've heard the guy, he screamed louder than I knew possible and I was in the stands surrounded by 47,000 people.

He has been the best player in the league these past 11/12 games, but his performance in that game cost his team no matter how you look at it. Henderson played GREAT.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Suarez signed an extension with LFC about a 1 1/2 weeks ago until 2018. It caught everyone by surprise, considering the fact that he wanted a transfer before the season. United sitting at 6th in the table, I don't know what their capable of doing once RVP and Rooney are healthy. Certainly city has some challenging away games, as mentioned Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Everton. Been some talk about the possibility of City going undefeated at home this season, but I don't know ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well we went undefeated at home the season we won the league, only Sunderland got a point from us. Last year the only real loss at home was to united, the Norwich game was the last game of he season and we had no manager or coaches! I think we can but it will be tough to win them all. The away games against the "top teams" don't worry me, those teams will attack us more at their own grounds and it will give us more space to score and play in. I'm not saying we will win them all but i think we look well placed to go on and take the title.

Suarez new deal has a clause for teams outside of the uk, so I still expect him to leave in the summer unless they qualify for he champions league outright (top 3, no qualifying game)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't think Liverpool played well at all today. They should have had a penalty but that man again over-doing it probably puts the officials off! He was booked for diving today, also. All in all he "went missing in a big game". I'm sure he will be back to being one of the best against Hull City Tigers.

Really wanted Liverpool to grab a draw, but I think they're gonna end up well off the pace soon. Man United and Tottenham are both in a good position to overtake and confine Liverpool to 7th spot after being top on Christmas. Lucky for Liverpool they have a so-called "easy" game next up, whereas the teams on their tail play each other.

City away at Swansea won't be easy, but they have poor home form and a lack of attacking players right now.

Chelsea are quietly plugging away, but I still think Arsenal have a good shot at the title. Chelsea can't kill off a game right now. United have got some great form going, but still they're struggling to look convincing and (for me) still look likely to drop points in the bigger matches. We shall see! A great season already.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

James, I don't understand what you meant by the new deal for Suarez and teams out of the u.k. Is it because Liverpool are owned by Americans or Suarez is Uraguan ? He seems to be getting along w/ Rogers and the team, why would he leave ? I did hear him say he wants to play for a "Champions League Club" and Liverpool is in the top 5 now. Seems like a perfect fit, where else would he go i.e. - Chelsea, Arsenal ? Like Sunray mentioned, that Mouhrino seems have a bit of an arrogance to him and what he says.

I can't say who will win, but this is certainly one of the most exciting seasons in the EPL in recent memory and any of these clubs can finish strong : City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and perhaps Everton and Tottenham. United scares me a bit. If RVP and Rooney are in top form, they can be a bit of a surprise.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Suarez has a minimum fee release clause on his contract (thought to be around 64 million). This only applies if a club outside of England make the offer, there's no clause for premier league teams. If Real Madrid or Barcelona bid the clause, they're free to speak to him whether Liverpool want or not.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:I don't think Liverpool played well at all today. They should have had a penalty but that man again over-doing it probably puts the officials off! He was booked for diving today, also. All in all he "went missing in a big game". I'm sure he will be back to being one of the best against Hull City Tigers.

Really wanted Liverpool to grab a draw, but I think they're gonna end up well off the pace soon. Man United and Tottenham are both in a good position to overtake and confine Liverpool to 7th spot after being top on Christmas. Lucky for Liverpool they have a so-called "easy" game next up, whereas the teams on their tail play each other.

City away at Swansea won't be easy, but they have poor home form and a lack of attacking players right now.

Chelsea are quietly plugging away, but I still think Arsenal have a good shot at the title. Chelsea can't kill off a game right now. United have got some great form going, but still they're struggling to look convincing and (for me) still look likely to drop points in the bigger matches. We shall see! A great season already.
Unlike against City, Liverpool didn't necessarily merit anything from the game, even though they posed a greater threat in the 2nd half against a typically horrible Mourinho Chelsea team.
However, the incredible officiating by that absolute bulb Howard Webb cost us an opportunity to win whilst not playing at our best. How that South Yorkshire plod failed to give a penalty when he was looking directly at it from 10 yards is astonishing. And then the sycophants in the media lap-up Mourinho's post-match drivel - it's enough to remind you why modern football is such wank.

It's quite possible that Liverpool will fall off the pace - though not sure what your comment that 'Lucky that Liverpool have an easy game.." is about, we've just come off the back of the 2 most difficult games of the season - do you expect the fixture list to have us playing champions elect every week, away? Hull will be difficult, we have a thin squad in terms of quality and are ill-equipped to ride multiple games a week as City and Chelsea are - but you'd expect Hull to be less equipped still.
From our perspective we need to keep ahead of Everton (credit to them - doing fantastically well), Utd and Spurs to try and get top 4, anything else a bonus.

You seem to have detailed knowledge of Suarez's new contract - were you privy to the negotiations?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well it has been widely reported that is the case, and given his previous I'd expect it to be true. Tevez played a similar trick but city did try to sell him and there was't the money on offer so he had no choice. Fortunate for both Suarez and Liverpool, he has a much higher value and is more sought after than Tevez was at that point. I think a 60+ million deal would be great for both parties! If you think em mentioning that it contains a clause and it is "around" a certain amount is detailed, you have no concept of the word detailed. I know nothing about his wage, about his appearance fee, his unused sub fee, his goal bonus, his league position bonus.... I won't go on...

When I say it's lucky that liverpool have an "easier" game... well, I'm unsure why you don't understand. My quotations meant to say there's no TRULY easy games, but it's easier than both united and spurs game (against each other). I think playing hull at anfield is an easier game than playing a bottom 3 side away, it has nothing to do with whether they're the champions elect as you put it. You also quoted me wrong, missing the "so-called easy game" which makes it clear I don't believe any game to be easy in the premier league. IT IS lucky for you that you're not playing a tougher game though at a time where you need to pick up points; if you don't see my point it's odd.

It would be lucky for city to play hull at home as opposed to chelsea or arsenal or another "top" team away this week when we are looking to pick up some more points over a busy period where we need to rotate.

"South yorkshire plod". Is that cause you can't blame it on him being from Greater London?

You shouldn't be focusing on finishing ahead of Everton, you should be finishing on finishing above anyone you can.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks James, I think I understand it. I think he'll stay with LFC. Aguero's father also shot down rumors about Barca.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Nice to see, there will always be that worry though in my mind...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Also, remember that time Aguero's father-in-law Maradona. My God, can you imagine your father-in-law is Maradona, what a nightmare. Well, he wanted Aguero to move to a spanish club i.e. - Real Madrid and Aguero didn't listen to him and stayed with City. Thank God, he got rid of him by divorcing his daughter and now he is slagging Aguero as being a deadbeat dad, etc., etc...