Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

James T
Known user

Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by James T »

Just heading to the Stadium. Stay blue everybody!
Last edited by James T on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
James T
Known user

Re: City vs United

Post by James T »

Or become blue...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Amust win for City, a tie won't do considering only 2 games left after this.
BRILLIANT ! Nice corner kick and header by Kompany with only a minute or so left in the 1st half ! The stadium is going bonkers ! Hopefully, City can maintain the lead.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Your lucky to be at the match James T , second half picked up the pace, but City just came out aggressive and almost scored another goal by Asri in the 89th minute. ManU still has a favourable schedule w/ Swansea and Sunderland - I hope City can close out the last two games ! :shock:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

dull game, great result- struggled to stay awake in the second half but it's nice to see sir alex's tactics fail so badly, muaha
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm sure the Gallagher bros. are quite takened by how well the team has played and the fans singing word-for-word the song, "Wonder Wall" at Etihad Stadium after the game ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Lost for words, just fantastic. This is why I have had a season ticket for 15 years and will continue to have one as long as I can! Amazing. We're the only club to average over 30k in the third tier of english football. If there's any fans in football that deserve this moment, it's my generation of city fans. Of course I am gonna say that, but I think a huge amount of people in football agree. People can talk about the money, but when we were spending peanuts on players like Bob Taylor and Gerard Wiekens, United were spending fortunes on crooked face and veron. It was all ok then wasn't it?

Forever blue!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Bob Taylor!

Mark Radcliffe described him as looking like a green-grocer, and when he was at City, playing like one.

Fulham were trying to buy him from Brentford but passed on him because he had dodgy knees or something, he went to Gillingham and of course scored against us at Priestfield. I’ll never forget that afternoon, standing in the rain on an open terrace watching the ball sail over Rufus Brevett’s head and Bob scoring in the last minute to make it 1-0.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This thread must have passed me by as I wasn't aware Bradford had played Leeds recently...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Nick, that was a different Bob Taylor... they were both massive guys. I remember City v Gillingham and there were a lot of entertaining songs about rival Bob Taylors.

Bradford v Leeds, what a game!

I have a lot of time for Leeds fans.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

James T wrote:United were spending fortunes on crooked face and veron. It was all ok then wasn't it?
Yes it was OK as it was money they generated themselves that was used to buy those players, not hundreds of millions just given to a club by an oil baron. Same thing applies to Chelsea.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, have to kinda agree that the fact Man Utd spent fortunes on players when Man City couldn't bears no relation to what is going on at City now. To be honest I don't like either club but I think, for the sake of football as we know it, it would be a travesty if Man City won the title all because some millionaire has got a new hobby.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Be a bigger travesty to see that obnoxious cunt ferguson's smug face if Man U do win. Which i still think they will.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well I am disappointed. the guy who owns city is nowhere near as cunty as the guy who owns Chelsea and pilfers money from what is effectively a third world country.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James T wrote:the guy who owns city is nowhere near as cunty as the guy who owns Chelsea
I never said that Chelsea's owner was better or worse than yours, but I guess that when you're comparing two rotten apples to see which one is the most rotten then you already have a problem. Saying that your owner is not as bad as that of Chelsea is hardly a great counter to the accusation that you will have effectively bought the Championship (if you do actually go on to win it). Yes, money obviously plays a major part in football these days, and almost every sport for that matter, but the obscene amounts being thrown around at the Ethiad is surely a step too far.

And that other factor that really winds me up about City fans?...the way they go on about all those years in the lower leagues. Boo fucking hoo!!! Your club doesn't deserve to win the league any more than say Preston North End or Scunthorpe for that matter. Just 'cause you had a few years where you dropped out of the top division it doesn't mean that you have some God given right to suddenly be crowned champions of the Premiership.

To be honest, if I was a Blue (Man City or Chelsea for that matter) I'd almost be embarrassed to have won the league in such a manner. Yes, Ferguson can be the most annoying and irritating man on the planet on his day but so what. He will go down as the most successful manager of his generation. Even with the rivalry between your two clubs surely even you can recognise that, in spite how much you detest the fella.

Oh, and for the record I'm a Brighton & Hove Albion fan, though my "Premiership" team is Nottingham Forest (yes those glory days are long gone too but there you go!).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm not embarrassed if we win the league by spending money. There is only one way to win the championship now. I am delighted for Newcastle to have done so well on the budget they have, don't get me wrong it is brilliant for football. The only way for a team to become a force for years to come is the way city have. Also, he is not an oil tycoon entirely, he made the majority of his money through real estate.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

James T wrote:I'm not embarrassed if we win the league by spending money. There is only one way to win the championship now. I am delighted for Newcastle to have done so well on the budget they have, don't get me wrong it is brilliant for football. The only way for a team to become a force for years to come is the way city have. Also, he is not an oil tycoon entirely, he made the majority of his money through real estate.
James I can totally understand your excitement at the prospect of winning the title.

I don't agree about this being the only way, maybe I'm naive but if so it's the end of the EPL.

I can't wait for an oiligarch of some sort to propel Galway United to the League Of Ireland, European Champion's League and World Club Championship treble!!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And lets bear in mind, the other way to create more money is to charge fans ridiculous sums for a season ticket. Mine costs just £500 a season, cheaper than some of the championship teams! Arsenal charge over £1000. So they can use their own money and be slagged off, or charge the fans more and be slagged off.

Also, the current ownership is regenerating a whole area of manchester which is languished in poverty and creating jobs for thousands of people. They're doing more for this city than our own government, and giving city fans something to be happy about.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Broc wrote:I can't wait for an oiligarch of some sort to propel Galway United to the League Of Ireland, European Champion's League and World Club Championship treble!!
Well, you did have Nick Leeson. :wink:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just slightly OT, but what the hell, it's FA Cup Final tomorrow and I couldn't be less interested. Sadly, we cant arrange for both sides to loose 5-0 and for John Terry to shank a penalty into the stands....or be sent off....or both, ideally.*

Really disappointed with Cardiff too. I have nothing against West Ham as a club, but the ' football' that Allardyce serves up is just ugly.

* a last minute O.G. from JT would be good too, save for the Liverpool winning bit......
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

sunray wrote:
Broc wrote:I can't wait for an oiligarch of some sort to propel Galway United to the League Of Ireland, European Champion's League and World Club Championship treble!!
Well, you did have Nick Leeson. :wink:
We did indeed :) Apparently a very nice chap by all accounts. He married a nice lassie from An Spideal. I think he found some peace in the west of Ireland!.

My mate's wife used work with him. I have some very funny stories about her time there. Not necessarily got to do with Old Nick. Terryland has now been renamed Deasy Park after Eamon 'Chick' Deasy who won at least one First Division Championship medal with Aston Villa around 1980. I used to buy chilis off him back in his veg shop in the mid 90s. RIP Chick
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Shinesalight wrote:
James T wrote:the guy who owns city is nowhere near as cunty as the guy who owns Chelsea
I never said that Chelsea's owner was better or worse than yours, but I guess that when you're comparing two rotten apples to see which one is the most rotten then you already have a problem. Saying that your owner is not as bad as that of Chelsea is hardly a great counter to the accusation that you will have effectively bought the Championship (if you do actually go on to win it). Yes, money obviously plays a major part in football these days, and almost every sport for that matter, but the obscene amounts being thrown around at the Ethiad is surely a step too far.

And that other factor that really winds me up about City fans?...the way they go on about all those years in the lower leagues. Boo fucking hoo!!! Your club doesn't deserve to win the league any more than say Preston North End or Scunthorpe for that matter. Just 'cause you had a few years where you dropped out of the top division it doesn't mean that you have some God given right to suddenly be crowned champions of the Premiership.

To be honest, if I was a Blue (Man City or Chelsea for that matter) I'd almost be embarrassed to have won the league in such a manner. Yes, Ferguson can be the most annoying and irritating man on the planet on his day but so what. He will go down as the most successful manager of his generation. Even with the rivalry between your two clubs surely even you can recognise that, in spite how much you detest the fella.

Oh, and for the record I'm a Brighton & Hove Albion fan, though my "Premiership" team is Nottingham Forest (yes those glory days are long gone too but there you go!).
Looks like Forest have found their very own Super Sheik!!!:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18791016

Not sure how I feel about this, especially after all the shit I gave you, James, for your club's success bought by throwing millions of millions of £'s at it. Forest are my 2nd team (they were my "Premiership" team back in the days of Clough, Pearce, Webb et all when my local team, Brighton, were struggling in the lower divisions) so its not a matter of life or death for me, though I'd love to see them get back to the glory times. Guess we'll just have to sit back and watch and wait. Certainly looks like this whole "sugar daddy" Chairman/Owner culture is here to stay. :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Six more days until the Clash of the Titans between City and United. Logged onto : premiereleague.com and saw that their is going to be some sort of delayed broadcast on the game or something like that, still really didn't understand it ??? But, I'll call my local pub in the city and find out what day and time the game will be on. I don't have cable. Like Mancini said, Balotelli needs to come thru. He has been quiet lately. Don't know what to expect, other than that United has been on a roll and City just had a draw against Everton. The addition of Persie has tipped the scales a bit .... :? A live Premier game here in the states is like 6 or 7 am (west coast), nothing wrong w/ a proper english breakfast washed down w/ a pint of bitter. :P
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gutted.

Looked like a good match ?

Here on the W.Coast, the match was at 5:30am ! I only caught the score about 8am on espn's website. Hopefully, I can watch a replay of the game somewhere or at least hi-lights.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

In terms of quality football it was severly lacking.

In terms of tension & excitement it was exhilarating. Couldn't take my eyes off it. Some crazy stuff: Utd shoulda been 3-0 up, immediately City get it back to 2-1 & suddenly you realise Utd wont hold out. & they didn't. But then Nasri, who had a terrible game, completely chickened out in the defensive wall & ball deflected off him past the overrated & hilariously rubbish joe hart.

& of course the side-plots: balotelli's surly substitution; the morons in the city crowd; the title race; mancini's position; Tom cruise & Robert duvall..

Have to stress again the lack of quality football. City have some fine individuals but they're not on form & they don't perform like a team. Utd have so many poor to average players (phil jones, anyone?!) & a woeful defence but always have the luck/ability to get those late goals & play for each other. They deserved the win, they were the better team.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Despite United having a clear goal disallowed which would have finished the game off, I do think we deserved more from that game. We dominated until they opened the scoring and then almost all of the second half too. Still, we can't give away a 2 goal lead and complain that we deserved more, we have done it against ajax already this season, it's just not good enough. I do feel we played very well, and I'm not too down about it. We far from embarrassed ourselves.

Anyway. This thing with Ferdinand being hit by a coin, I cannot believe what a prick fergie is being about it. Yes, the guy is a MORON, but United fans did the same thing to Bellamy a few years back. It's not got a place in football, but it happens. I also have to say, Phil Jones was disgusting after they scored their winner. He ran right up to where I was sat and told us all to fuck off repeatedly. Rooney celebrating at the city fans twice too. Players get banned for that kind of behaviour, rooney could have had 3 yellow cards today (he deserved one very early).

Overall, well done to them. But if they think we're not their main rivals and we're not a big club, they wouldn't have spent the first 15 minutes mowing down all our players and the whole second half wasting time trying to hold on. Another derby won by them at the death, they never stop do they??? Long way to go though.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Read about the part where Balotelli was substituted in for Tevez and he didn't like that. He gave an 'icy stare' towards Mancini for that. Potentially good player in the future, but mercurial in temper and personality. I, remember earlier this year when Espana throbbed Italia in the EuroCup Final and one of the Italian coaches tried to talk to him after the match and he just shoved him right back ! :shock:

RVP has been the difference maker for United, that's for sure.

Wow, Messi broke Gerd Muller's 40 year record and their are still (3) more matches to play this calendar year - looks like he is a cinch for the Ballon d'Or Trophy. Ridiculous, he is ONLY 25 years old!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, he really is something else. Best I've seen play live for sure. Best I've seen full stop. Muller did play less games, but let's not take anything away from Messi.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

messi is probably the best ever. really only maradona withstands comparison w/him imo.
it's just eternally ridiculous how he plays the game. the comfort & skill he naturally exudes. he makes top flight football look so easy, like a pick-up game of 5 aside or playing in the schoolyard. he very rarely ceases to amaze.

on topic: jamie a few questions.
what is the mood like around the club concerning mancini's position? is there speculation, even justification, for removing him now? will he leave at the end of the season?
the way i see it atm, if they sack him now they will increase their chances of getting back into the title race but then risk missing out on Pep in the summer? if they leave it to the summer the season could end trophyless (bar the FA cup maybe?) but they'd stand a better chance of signing Pep. & if they do sack him now, who are the alternatives?

also: balotelli? surely he's not long for the club anymore? all faith has evaporated in him? or is he still loved - particularly for his contribution on 93:20?

i didn't think city played that well yesterday. they were shambolic defensively when Utd countered. only in the 2nd half did Silva & Tevez start tracking back. even then tevez gave away the freekick for the 3rd goal.
yea you dominated possession but for long times didn't create any chances. are nasri's performances not a worry? i can't see how he has justified his pricetag, & his ineptitude in the wall was unforgivable.
city hd a very bad summer in the transfer market & i think it's showing now. the championship winners' form has dropped (yaya toure, goal aside yesterday, has not dominated like last yr, even kun & silva are off the boil) & the reinforcements aren't good enough nor trusted - tho i think javi garcia woulda been a better otion than barry but the difference he'd make would be minimal. & i mean sinclair & rodwell were signed because of the need for a certain quota of english players in europe & look how that's worked out for them.
i mean, for all the attention lavished on that team they really are not performing at the level they should be. there's a lot wrong atm & i don't think the solutions are going to be easy to come by. maybe i'm wrong & they'll magically 'click' into a dominant free-scoring matching-winning team again, but i think radical changes are needed.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We have lost 1 game in the league and have been as good as united. They have not played well but you wouldn't talk of asking fergie if we reversed out positions. Mancini is a good manger and talk of sacking him is ridiculous. The owners might, it wouldn't surprise me on football now, but it would be crazy. Silva has been back in good form this season, nasri made great progress at the end of last season and was as good as ever, but not he is really playing bad. Balotelli? Get rid. Give guidetti a chance, he scored a bag full in holland last year.

I don't think we NEED to buy, but there are a few players that would make us unplayable. Falcao scored another 5 goals yesterday for atletico Madrid. Still, we have a good forward line, better than almost anyone. In midfield we could do with another top class central, like schweinsteiger. Barry is a goo player but he can't play all the matches, plus yaya needs resting from time to time. Mostly we need a winger who can cross a ball, bale would be immense at city, even though he annoys me.

Rodwell gets injured too much, Garcia is the slowest man on the planet and Sinclair? Well we just needed to fill the gap Johnson left, we haven't really weakened anywhere except de Jong for Garcia, and he didn't start much last year. Lets not forget that nastasic looks twice the player savic did
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

surely you have to factor in the performance in europe in assessing mancini's position? there has been zero progress this year. in fact you have gone backwards.

i thought barry was exposed badly again yesterday. he's a decent pro but not good enough for the level city should be aspiring too.
garcia is the poor man's javi martinez yea, but still a better option than barry. the problem with the signing you made in the summer were they weren't your #1 targets & turned to the cheaper options. & those have turned out to be not good enough.
i think you're also being generous in your praise of silva & nasri. especially nasri. his contributions have been slight & you surely have to be angry & his lack of commitment for the 3rd goal?

i dunno. there do seem to be a lot of players out of form & results haven't been as convincing as they perhaps should be.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

By your logic, Ferguson should have been sacked last year and a number of times before. We have not gone backwards, a league like the premier is tough and teams can come 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I still think we will win it, but it is going to be hard and if we don't I would still not sack the manager.

Europe was very disappointing, but we were not as far from qualifying as people make out. We should have finished off the away game against Ajax before they even got back in, it was unlucky but we had to be better. Still, they did not dominate. At real we were very close to a win but ended with nothing, it was just silly mistakes. Ajax at home, well we dominated and were robbed 100% by 2 RIDICULOUS and I rarely say that. Dortmund away we were very poor, lacking in everything. Dortmund at home they absolutely shit all over us in the 2nd half, but the first half we missed an open goal right on half time which would have changed the game. Draw at home against real? This can happen. United's group was easier than almost all of the Europa League groups, they are not comparable at all. Still, these are all excuses and we have to do better, but to act like we were miles away from what we are expected is not the whole story.

I did say Nasri was poor this season, the last 3rd of our league winning season he was incredible though. Silva is fine this year, very good play for the most part. I have not missed a minute of a game yet and I have a season ticket.

Garcia? Not better than Barry, but fine as a squad player. We cannot go out and buy all world class players when they will sit on the bench often. people complain when we do that, but then they complain when we don't buy players who can start every week and play top class football.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Also, United have been SHIT in most games this season. Conceding 3 against Reading in a league match? Losing to Norwich? Losing to Everton (who we drew with), Losing to spurs (who we beat).

Man City, huge crisis? Nope.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The conventional thinking is, " if it ain't broken why fix it " , City has a nice squad w/ very good players that just barely won the title on the last day. They could have pursued RVP during the summer, but at what expense ? Deep squad w/ players complaining about not enough playing time or starting not to mention the startling salary expense !

Second guessing is hindsight, yeah, maybe he should have started Tevez instead of Balotelli ? I read an article/interview which Balotelli stated that if Mancini is not the manager anymore than he would follow him ( Mancini has known Balotelli since he was a teenager ), granted that it was not that long ago since Balotelli is only 21 y.o. However, at this point, I think Mancini has had it w/ Balotelli and Jose Mouhrino didn't highly of him either at Inter Milan. Lot of potential, but lazy, selfish, bad attitude and arrogant.

Here is an article about the reasons for getting rid of Balotelli in the upcoming weeks leading to the January transfer window :
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jan ... 38307.html

Remember, last year when Tevez refused to sub in during a match ? Everyone wanted to get rid of him, but since then he has changed his 'attitude' and was chasing after every ball last nite after the sub in.

United has poor defense, as James T suggested. They barely won that match against Reading, Reading for christ sake ? Fergie goes, " we have to play better on defense " . No shit, Sherlock Holmes. They are not invincible by any means, even
Chelsea is within reach. God, who would want to be the manager of Chelsea w/ Abramovich as the owner ?

Still a long season to go ...
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Manchester United have not played very well but have still won at City,Chelsea,Liverpool and Newcastle which after all is not the easiest places to win.Our defense has not looked good but many injuries and Evra's poor form has not helped.

And I'm happy that Van Persie did chose United and not the money from City.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Don't kid yourself. If city offered a concrete deal to van Persie with more money, he would have taken it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:By your logic, Ferguson should have been sacked last year and a number of times before. We have not gone backwards, a league like the premier is tough and teams can come 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I still think we will win it, but it is going to be hard and if we don't I would still not sack the manager.

Europe was very disappointing, but we were not as far from qualifying as people make out. We should have finished off the away game against Ajax before they even got back in, it was unlucky but we had to be better. Still, they did not dominate. At real we were very close to a win but ended with nothing, it was just silly mistakes. Ajax at home, well we dominated and were robbed 100% by 2 RIDICULOUS and I rarely say that. Dortmund away we were very poor, lacking in everything. Dortmund at home they absolutely shit all over us in the 2nd half, but the first half we missed an open goal right on half time which would have changed the game. Draw at home against real? This can happen. United's group was easier than almost all of the Europa League groups, they are not comparable at all. Still, these are all excuses and we have to do better, but to act like we were miles away from what we are expected is not the whole story.

I did say Nasri was poor this season, the last 3rd of our league winning season he was incredible though. Silva is fine this year, very good play for the most part. I have not missed a minute of a game yet and I have a season ticket.

We cannot go out and buy all world class players when they will sit on the bench often. people complain when we do that, but then they complain when we don't buy players who can start every week and play top class football.

ferguson is much more difficult to sack than mancini. ferguson has his incomparable track record for one.
having said that, there have been a few times over the past 5-7 yrs where they was pressure on him to move on/be replaced.
you seem a little obsessed w/lord ferg btw ;)
why keep comparing him to fergie & utd's champions league group? yea city had a very tough draw & maybe if they were seeded more favourably they'd have done better. but the results speak for themselves. the results are the whole story at the end of the day. that quality of opposition is the standard city & their players have to be judged against & they came bottom of their group.

you do seem to have a lot of faith in mancini tho.

re: the transfers, & this ties into the van persie thing & what spaceman said about "if it ain't broke...", & it's not about complaining: the truth is the city negotiators failed to sign their top targets, it was a failing. & mancini has admitted as much. & they had to go to their 2nd or 3rd choices & the result of that has been a lack of re-energising w/quality. the team that won the title are possibly a little war weary/lacking the same motivation & the new players brought in weren't.aren't good enough to carry the burden.
champions always need to reinforce. there's no such thing as "if it ain't broke..." in football - your competitors are going to be improving therefore you need to improve.

& i mean i'm just speculating. i'm curious as to the mood around the club, that's why i'm asking these questions.
i don't mean it as an attack i'm just curious as to what the reaction to the season so far has been.
a little siege mentality has set in..?? mancini would do well to foster that instead of criticising his players publicly.. something that lord ferg doesn't do... for comparisons sake ;)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

James T wrote:Anyway. This thing with Ferdinand being hit by a coin, I cannot believe what a prick fergie is being about it. Yes, the guy is a MORON, but United fans did the same thing to Bellamy a few years back. It's not got a place in football, but it happens. I also have to say, Phil Jones was disgusting after they scored their winner. He ran right up to where I was sat and told us all to fuck off repeatedly. Rooney celebrating at the city fans twice too. Players get banned for that kind of behaviour, rooney could have had 3 yellow cards today (he deserved one very early).
Oh boo-fucking-hoo! I have no time for supporters who complain about players giving them some shit back. Opposition fans barrack someone throughout a match with vile abuse and then get upset 'cos they celebrate in front of them when they score/win and chuck a few choice words in the fans direction as they do so. Why not? i say. It might not be the smartest thing to do but I understand it and if the fans are willing to dish it out they should be prepared to take it too.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well when players like Suarez and Adebayor and Bellamy get in bother for doing it, it does annoy me when others get away with it.

I frankly couldn't care less what Wenger and Ferguson say about RVP turning city down. I don't doubt we showed an interest to Arsenal, but I am certain he was offered no money before we got rid of a player first.

Sir Alex? Great manager, the best. I am not obsessed with him in the slightest, I am talking about him in a thread about 2 football teams where he is manager of 1 of them. Mancini has a record that also speaks for itself, he has won something every full season he has been here, including the Premier League which we are currently holders of. Anyone that thinks he needs sacking is an idiot, and probably the same sort of person that was saying we're a terrible team to manage for sacking hughes when he drew about 9 games in a row and then scraped a 4-3 win against Sunderland, not to mention signing some of the worst players ever to challenge for a champions league place (although he did sign some quality too).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm glad you believe stories about RVP in the press have to be true. Surely, then, you agree he should have about 5 years of a 12 year jail sentence left to serve?
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

James T wrote:
I'm glad you believe stories about RVP in the press have to be true. Surely, then, you agree he should have about 5 years of a 12 year jail sentence left to serve?
So we can't trust any newspaper? Come on. van Persie is probably not the first to have said no to the city and will not be the last.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hazard definitely turned us down, that was a shame. I really didn't want Van Persie anyway, so whether he did or did not I don't mind. Can't stand the guy. I don't really like Balo anymore though, too much hassle. Give that boy Guidetti a chance once he can feel his leg again.

We didn't really make a firm offer for any of our main targets due to the fact we couldn't shift some of the ones we've got and they were in the process of changing the director of football. Still, I don't mind. No pressure yet, I don't think we'll be hurting our necks looking up at anyone for too long.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote: We didn't really make a firm offer for any of our main targets due to the fact we couldn't shift some of the ones we've got and they were in the process of changing the director of football. Still, I don't mind. No pressure yet, I don't think we'll be hurting our necks looking up at anyone for too long.
fair points. i agree w/it all except the pressure. there ought to be constant demands on mancini & the players. for example there should have been a positive response to the champions league exit. like it or not, these are the things that are scrutinised when you're a club the size of city et al. they have to be held to account every error however minimal, and it all gets tallied for or against them. but yea they very well could benefit from this period. it'll be interesting to see. is there any concrete speculation, outside of balotelli, of things happening in the transfer window?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Apparently they are chasing Isco at Malaga, which has been around long enough to be taken seriously. He is a great talent and would put the pressure on Nasri that he needs. Nasri doesn't perform well enough to be in the team week-in week-out, and of course silva needs a rest too. Isco would be ok for me, although it's always interesting to see how a player from La Liga makes the step to permier league. It's funny, a lot of the tricky players that have come over recently have been dismissed at the start and then really stepped up. Silva, Carzola, and look at Michu! What a buy.

I was very into the idea of making a bid for Hummels at Dortmund, but I don't want Nastasic to lose his rhythm now and he is coping well enough. He could be a great.

Bale? I can't see him staying at Spurs too much longer, but I don't have him down as the sort of player to jump ship in January while they're going for top 4. Also, if Real come in, I'm sure he would enjoy the idea of playing alongside those guys in the sun.

De Rossi looked like he was on his way, but Mancini has put the stoppers on that and well done to him. That player, club, and agent have been taking the piss trying to get more money without anyone to challenge us for his signature. I still hope Garcia can become a great player, but his pace is a serious problem in this league. He is great in the air and ha a good brain on him, but he can barely walk let alone run.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

isco is brilliant. any time i've seen malaga a couple of times this yr & every game he was the star of the show. i'd be happy to see him in the premiership.
they do need more competition for nasri, yea. & cover/a rotation option for silva also. isco would be an exciting prospect. they missed out on hazard.
wish they'd just go & buy neymar for the hell of it, but they have adopted a slightly more conservative transfer campaign than those transfer windows when they'd sign robinho/kaka.. they have gotten a bit boring, sorry for complaining. jack rodwell?!

wouldn't like hummels to go to city tho if i'm honest. hope he stays at dortmund then goes to one of the more romantic big(ger) teams. as a defender he's too good/classy for city! ;)
(fingers crossed for a dortmund vs juve champions league final btw)

the de rossi thing was all talk. he was never gonna leave roma.

hope they make a splash/crazy signing/statement of intent in the jan window..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hummels is not as class and talented a centre back as Kompany, but he is close....
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Down to the wire in January's transfer window and City finally pulled the trigger. Balotelli is no longer a Blue. Now, it is AC Milan's headache ... :P

Lots of potential, only 21-22 yrs.old, but not worth the headache. I'm glad they finally got rid of him with no regret. Now, hopefully City can chip away the lead, still a lot of football left in the season.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We really missed a trick last night at QPR. We should've won that game with the chances we created. I do think this season is going to be United's league, city FA Cup and hopefully Dortmund for the Champions league.

We're playing really good football now at city, after a slow start. United just aren't letting up though, and we need them to fail to beat Southampton tonight.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

That draw versus QPR was suprising and now United can increase the lead if they beat Southhampton tonite. :cry:

City is working on getting David Villa from Real - that would be a coup for the team.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote:City is working on getting David Villa from Real - that would be a coup for the team.
...or even Barca...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Joe Hart is shite ! A proper thrasing. :oops:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Completely blown it this year now. Strange game because all 3 of their goals should be easily avoided. Overall they deserved it though, we (city) made very few real chances and defended worse than I have seen in years. Having had a season ticket most my life, I can say it is one of the strangest performances I have seen.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bit conflicted about the United game today. Really want Everton do do a job on them, but worry that all that will do is to put Moyes even further into the shop window. His contract is up at the end of the season, so a good run to the end of the season and I see his as a candidate for moving on. The Telegraph today suggests he is in line for the Chelsea job (can't see that myself as he has no record in the Champions League).
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Put a fork in it, City is done for the season. 12 pts. is too much to overcome with what 11 games remaining. Barring RVP and Rooney both tearing their acl's ... The addition of RVP for United put them over the top. When Rooney was out for several weeks with his leg injuries he picked up the slack and scored a ton of goals.

Now, the focus is strengthening and adding more additional players. David Villa's contract is up this summer and from what I've read he is a hot commodity. I hope City can retain his services.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't retain the services of Villa, never had them!

United haven't been so impressive this season with the football they have played, but they have certainly impressed in digging in and getting good results when they don't particularly deserve them. City haven't managed it often enough, but we're not exactly having a bad season. We're in 2nd spot and United have got a record points total. We're not far off what we got last season. It's been a strange one so far.

It's not over, but it's 99% the title for United.

Glad all those chaps got to bring out all the pictures and shirts they had made up last season, fucking idiots.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

S-I-L-V-A

For some reason, i always get those two mixed up ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No problem with his contract, few years yet.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good game last nite ! I don't know about that Sergio-Ramos, I was never too keen on him. Was he trying to tap the ball to the goalkeeper or what ?

Cleats up is cleats up, maybe not a red, but certainly a yellow.

Rooney wasn't inserted until the 73 minute or so, after Nani was sent off. Could be a row w/ Old Fergie and player ? Kind of rubbish to talk about Rooney moving to City, tho' ......
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I'm a typical ABU but I actually dislike RMadrid more & wanted ManU to progress.

Having got that out of the way... I thought it was a red card but wouldn't have been surprised had the ref shown a yellow.
This idea Nani had no intent or didn't know Arbeloa was there is farcical. I saw it at the time & looked it since & he defo has a glance behind him to see where Arbeloa is - & even if he doesn't actually see him he ought to know there'll be a player coming there.
He knew exactly what he was doing.

What disappoints me, but doesn't surprise me, is the reaction from the media & man utd fans. They're very quick to ignore the goal Madrid had unfairly ruled out or Rafaels handball.

As for Rooney well Ferg got it wrong in picking Nani ahead of him simple as & has prob damaged the relationship. RvP was awful too & maybe would been better to be replaced by Rooney than Welbeck perhaps.
Ultimately Fergie lost the plot after the sending off. Instead of settling down his team & maintaining their resilience & shape he got emotional.

Overall tho it was an intriguing game, bar modric's goal the game was lacking in flair & quality & overall disappointed.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I missed the first 20 minutes but really enjoyed the rest. Both teams looked full of quality and until the red card it was a finely balanced game. The sending off was tough but impossible to argue against. Nani did also appear to leave his foot up once the connection had been made. The other telling thing was the fact that Nani went down 'injured' after the challenge - players so often do that when they know they are in trouble. I loved the fact that on ITV all the pundits were saying how awful the red card decision was until Roy Keane - a man I don't like but one who certainly knows his football - dismissed their complaints and said the ref got it right. All the other pundits were speechless as they didn't want to take Keane on in an argument and there was 'dead air' for a few seconds...

After Nani was sent off the game changed pretty much straightaway. The Real goals were both of such quality that the right team went through. The 2nd had so much imagination and understanding it's what football is all about.

If I was a Man U fan I'd feel very disappointed as they looked good. But I'm not so the result was something of a relief.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I thought the ref had got it wrong, until I saw the replays after the game and you saw it in real time from roughly the refs point of view. It happened so quickly when played in real time and it definitely looked like the ref had little choice based on what he would have seen. Until you play it in ultra slow motion from 3 or 4 different angles like the pundits did, then there is no discussion to be had. Loved the icy atmosphere created by Kean's blunt views :lol:

What did get my goat about the whole affair was Ferdinand's sarcastic clapping right in the ref's face when the game finished. Surely that behaviour is unacceptable, no matter how important the game is and has become, and should be stamped out once and for all. That and Ferguson's usual touchline foul-mouthed rants bring football down yet again. I really can't understand why the FA, UEFA and FIFA don't just finally take a stance, set am example and clamp down on it once and for all with a zero tolerance policy. Clearly they think its acceptable though :roll: :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21700295
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I thought it was the right call, thinking about it and seeing the replay again. Only ONE referee on the pitch, compared to baseball, american football, basketball, etc. Real time = fast. The referee basically has to make a call immediately in order for it to be effective and he got it right. Cleats up is cleats up and right into the abdomen no less. Like Runcie stated earlier, Nani tried to play it off like he got hurt on the play. What a c*nt ! Yeah, for the referee to put up w/ Ferdinand in his face after the match is unacceptable. UEFA should fine him for that ! Fergie is just a sore loser ! :oops:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My kids often ask me why I don't like Man U and the reaction to this incident is a major ingredient in my dislike for that team. The arrogance from the Man U camp is startling. It was a touch decision but Roy Keane's view really summed it all up. He said that on every occasion he'd been sent off when he looked back at it if there was any possible reason the referee could have for sending him off then he had no argument against it. The referee got it technically correct even if he was somewhat harsh, so that's the end of the story.

Ferguson's eruption, Ferdinand's sarcastic hand-clap, the outrage from so many supporters... Man alive - every team has had contentious decisions go against them. This wasn't even that bad, just somewhat unlucky. I've seen red cards given for far milder things.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

agree w/all that ^
the fact nani gave the ref a decision to make is really all there is to it. don't do the crime yada yada yada..

in terms of the ugly outrage from the manu camp well it's pathetic but also it all stems from fergie.
i mean rio & the fans should know better, but what we're seeing is fergie's behaviour reflected back from his leadership of the club. he's horribly infantile & it's influenced the way his clubs fans & players behave.
a lot of them are spoilt - due to the unfair influence fergie wields over english refs - and so when a decision goes against them they can't comprehend it. but again it all stems from fergies leadership. his manner is that of a bully, unable to process other people's opinions.
instead of harassing the ref the fans should be ashamed of their managers behaviour & questioning his response to the sending off.
gonna burn brightly
for a while