Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: City vs United

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

James T wrote:United have got some great form going, but still they're struggling to look convincing and (for me) still look likely to drop points in the bigger matches. We shall see! A great season already.
I agree 110%

Although I'm thankful that united are flying under the radar at the minute. Positives so far this season have been resilience - I don't think our Davie has had his first choice XI available for a single match yet however this has allowed real questions to be asked of smalling & Evans, if only tom cleverly could score goals and that Wayne Rooney is a fine number 10.

There is fragility in defence although there's enough to muddle through with. The midfield looks lightweight although it'll be pleasing to see fletcher back along side carrick. The attack is still improving and without both of Rooney and RVP I think there's enough.

I like very much how the new manager has allowed people time to establish and some even reestablish themselves. This is systematic of the time afforded to himself, no doubt. I thought that during the summer Anderson, Young & Luis Nani would have left...but there still here. Sadly only Young has found a bit of form. In addition the first team football Adnan, Powell and Lingard are getting will only better them.

I think RVP is going to have one of those injured seasons the gunners fans are still seeking recompense for so it could be a huge opportunity for wellbeck.

Two things that are puzzling me are the signings of zaha and the exclusion of him when he had a decent pre season and fellaini - not sure what his purpose is and I think the manager already notices that the tempo drops (much like jagielka and Cahill at the back for England) when he gets on the ball. I would be inclined to move him on quite quickly as he's making Gareth Barry look world class!

In January I'd like to see us sign a busy tidy midfielder, they don't need to be particularly creative but MUST know how to dictate tempo...Paul Scholes :)

Great season so far
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

A lot of Everton fans I have spoken with were more than happy to see Fellaini go given the funds it freed up for them, and Barry is doign a great job for them like he did at city for his first few seasons. Barry is a very "boring" footballer but he never did anything but good for us and every team he has been at.

I've also heard a fair few Everton fans keen to see Baines go if they can get a good amount for him. Of course he is a good player, but I think they could move him on and buy someone for half of what they receive without weakening the side so much.

United won't fall off the pace too much in the long run (they've got the foundations laid far too well for that), but I think they will struggle this year and next to hit their usual heights. They could still challenge for honours over that period but they will have to dig really deep and I'm not sure they have it in them right now.

City are playing well at swansea, currently 1-0 up thanks to fernandinho. What a buy he has been!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fantastic header from Bony to equalize there, terrible time to concede. He was offside, so people can stop saying the officials are on our side now eh? :wink:
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Fantastic header from Bony to equalize there, terrible time to concede. He was offside, so people can stop saying the officials are on our side now eh? :wink:
which people are these? Rodgers made some odd comments following the City LFC game - is that what you're referring to?

Utd beaten at home for the 4th time this season. Moyes doing tremendously well, a few scruffy wins over minor opposition without playing well, and then instantly come unstuck when they come up against a team with any quality.

And Fernandinho - fantastic signing, quite the coup at £30m.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hmmmm, £30 million... Imagine paying that. I mean... We could almost of bought Andy Carroll for that (but not quite).
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Hmmmm, £30 million... Imagine paying that. I mean... We could almost of bought Andy Carroll for that (but not quite).
30 million. Doesn't that get you a Fellani these days? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Obviously the Andy Carroll reference is a painful low-blow. I still get tremors whenever I recall the horror at the insanity of that day, when it became evident that the stories of us chasing him were not just tabloid drivel, but that we were actually going to pay 20, 25, 30, 35million for him.

It feels like the worst transfer in football history - but has to be tempered by the fact that we shifted perma-crock Torres for £50m on the same day (painful though it was at the time) and managed to get Suarez for a steal at £20m in the same window.
Useless that Carroll was, he did give us a semi-final winner over Everton and almost dragged us back into the cup final. We also managed to get some funds back from West Ham (that possibly looks a worse purchase than our own) and his continued absence from their team (presumably from a prolonged case of Stellatis) is proving to have pleasing side-effect of pushing the hateful (and 14th highest paid manager in word football) Sam Allardyce closer to the sack. Tick-Tock.

There's no positive spin for Stewart Downing though.

LFC have had a tremendous record of uncovering over-priced shite since we bought Paul Stewart from City 20 years ago - the problem is that we can ill afford to do it now, unlike City and Chelsea.
Every Jo, Adebayor, Santa Cruz, Rodwell, Garcia can be written off or put into the Carling Cup team - whereas we need to make sure our transfer policy has far more hits like Coutinho rather than Joe Allen misses (although even he has started to show a bit). But we still buy too many turkeys - but that's more likely to happen when you're restricted to spending £7m on Alberto rather than £30m on Fernandinho.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I still think Adebayor was a good signing, he is a really good player but unfortunately he falls out with himself and everyone else every chance he gets. Santa Cruz was a disaster we can blame Hughes for, Jo was a choice of our former chairman Thaksin Shiniwatra and was definitely a shocking piece of business.

I really like Rodwell and hope he can make an impression. Injuries hampered his tie at city so far but now he seems to be making the bench regular which shows he must be getting back to full fitness now.

I think everyone can tell by now that I am not a fan of Javi Garcia, and I only wish you were right about him being limited to carling cup appearances. Unfortunately he plays in nearly every game. Even when a sub he gets a good amount of minutes and almost always slows the pace of the game to the point where the rest of the team just forget to carry on playing.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And I also hope you don't think I am anti-liverpool, not the case. I am disappointed in the way Suarez behaved in the last few games, he was booked again against Hull for his behaviour. I really did feel Liverpool played fantastically at city and genuinely think he cost them a point.

Downing, looked like a good signing but it never worked out. I can see why they took the risk on that one.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Suarez got kicked all over the pitch v Hull - he's a marked man and centre-half grunts know they have a free reign against him - the drill is pretty much follow straight through on him and then wave their arms about in indignation when he goes down as if he's just perpetrated a Fonsbury flop. It works most of time - and certainly did against Hull, and when he complained he's instantly booked.

Against Chelsea he was taken out (needlessly and senselessly) by Eto'o. A clear and obvious penalty. Howard Webb was staring straight at it, pointed at something, and waved play on. Wtf?

After the game Mourinho, straight-faced, says that Suarez should have been booked for diving. This is in front of a room full of journalists. Not one of the hacks challenges his engineered bullshit.

Re City / Liverpool - we have always been kind of brothers in arms, with hatred of Utd as the unifying factor. I remember being in the lower Gladwys Street on the day City beat Utd 5-1, we'd beaten Everton 3-1 the same afternoon. City's victory / Utd's loss were celebrated as much as ours.

I have to admit I prefer the old City - the comedy club, best summed up for me when a half-arsed and low quality Liverpool team played at Maine Rd in the late 90's for the final game of the season with City at the wrong end of the table. LFC somehow stumbled into 0-2 lead, City came back to 2-2 with little resistance in the 2nd half - and then played out the final few minutes by ferrying the ball into the corners and wasting time. You thought a draw was enough - it wasn't, you needed a win and a compliant Liverpool would have folded if you'd tried. Typical City - relegated (Alan Ball presumably?).

Those were the days that the closest you came to midfield schemers were the likes of ginger haired fucktard Steve Lomas rather than fragrant Spaniards like Silva.

Even with all the money you still seemed to have that ability to mess it all up - but shipping out the likes of Cook, Mancini, Tevez and Balotelli leaves you looking a bit more professional than before.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Never get a bad word from me about Mancini, the seasons he was given backing he did a great job (top 4, fa cup, title). After that there were some strange things go on in terms of transfers. Losing De Jong and buying Garcia was a bad bad move. I don't necessarily think we had to strengthen apart from maybe 1 stellar transfer, but instead we weakened our team. The question is, how long can you employ someone you simply don't like? They didn't get on and it couldn't last. Even at his "worst" we were runners up in the league and FA Cup, something which even real madrid are very used to putting up with some years. I don't have particularly hard feelings towards the board because it clearly wasn't working on a personal level, but the way it was done was very poor and that old phrase "typical city" springs to mind. Hope he gets to come back with Gala at some point, get a proper reception from us.

In regards to the non-penalty, it was daft yes. There is a serious serious problem with referees in the UK now, and it shows no sign of letting up.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The talk seems to be gaining traction. Prior to the season there's been some talk that Rooney wants out of United and handed his transfer papers, thus Old Fergie benching him during one of the legs of the Champions League matches against Real. I still don't think that he gets on with Moyes with their prior relationship and history. Well, last summer Moyes and United had the upper hand and now Rooney does. If he was comfortable with United, he would have signed an extension by now but now he is just ' waiting to see what happens. '

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... er=ya5nbcs
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Poor showing in the cup today, 1-1 with Blackburn. Still, a lot of tired players out there after the christmas period and we have an 8 game month again now which is ridiculous. Still, we take the game to our place now and we should win that, still in the hat unlike spurs, newcastle and villa.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

James T wrote:Poor showing in the cup today, 1-1 with Blackburn. Still, a lot of tired players out there after the christmas period and we have an 8 game month again now which is ridiculous. Still, we take the game to our place now and we should win that, still in the hat unlike spurs, newcastle and villa.
& Leeds! Lost to Rochdale for gods sake! Wheels fallen off spectacularly over Christmas as is the norm for us! Promise of takeover and money available before end of transfer window but we've heard that before :roll:
'Remember, change is not good'
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

My mams side are from Leeds, but I was brought up in Rochdale; I was happy either way!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And the Leeds takeover in question was by Red Bull. I can't see why anyone would want to be taken over by Red Bull. The name would be changed to Leeds Red Bulls and they've never really put as much backing into their sides as they could (although admittedly they're in weaker leagues).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So united out of the FA Cup and on the verge of being knocked out of the Capital One Cup also. Ordinarily you would expect them to turn around a 2-1 deficit with the home leg to come, but they have been poor at best at home this year. Moyes has a hard task, no doubt. But to me there is also no doubt he has done a bad job also. They should be beating Sunderland in a semi-final of a cup, and beating swansea at home in the cup.These are games anyone can lose from time to time (hell, sunderland always do good against city), but this is too often and in important games. I don't think they will (or should) sack him, but he and the players are both doing an awful job this season and will be lucky to get into the champions league. People blaming the glazers are clueless, even if they have invested less than maybe they should. I'm sure united would love a big money investor to take over, despite what they say about the money spent by PSG, Chelsea, Anzhi, and of course City.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Two consecutive losses in as many days. LOVE IT !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

3 in a week! Hasn't happened since the early 90s. We'll see how tonight goes for city, it won't be as easy as people make out I don't think.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:3 in a week! Hasn't happened since the early 90s. We'll see how tonight goes for city, it won't be as easy as people make out I don't think.
Actually 2001 - they also won the league that year.

Not that it's going to happen this time. Happily they are turning to utter shite. Always possible with dithering Dave in charge, but this is going better than anyone can ever have hoped.
I think his post-match interviews are actually more enjoyable than the results.

It's a dangerous thing when you lose your aura. It happened to us, teams rocking up to Anfield in the early 90's knowing they had a decent chance and willing to have a go. Celebrating afterwards like they had beaten the old Liverpool - when in fact we'd effectively abdicated our crown and were dead set on buying flotsam for evermore. Still seen as a conquest, but on reputation alone.

They will be back sometime soon though - obviously with a different manager, so it's a case of enjoying it while it lasts - the horrible bastards that they are.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

City 5 - 0 West Ham after 60 minutes.

Good job he rested all those first team players.

He always said he'd be more suited to managing Real Madrid or Inter - should be free in the morning to write his job application.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hope he goes to barca before we play them!

In regards to the 3 losses in a week that was the early 90s, we in a row were lost more recently though like you said. All minor details, let's enjoy it!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

99 goals for city this season already, and it's only mid january... We look twice the team we were last year, although I still won't blame Mancini for that. Pellegrini definitely has a way of getting the best out of his players though, goals from everywhere! Defence looks really poor today despite winning 5-0, must strengthen this window. I really though Lescott could do a job for 6 more months but he looks totally disinterested. Maybe we would work well at another team.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I was surprised by the score at halftime, but City took care of that in the second half. Aguero scored within 50 seconds of coming onto the pitch and both Negredo and Dzeko almost got a hat trick. Mancini is a good manager, but Pellegrini offers a different dimension. The additions of Dzeko, Negredo, Navas and Fernandhino doesn't hurt either ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We signed Dzeko 2 years ago, although he didn't do much at all that season. He was our top scorer last season (although he scored 15, plenty of players will beat that this season).

Negredo has been an incredible signing, and a lot cheaper than others teams top signings this season.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No one has ever achieved 100 pts. before Jan.31st in the Premier League and City should smash that record. Perhaps even pts. for the entire season, I'm not sure what it is ? Pellegrini has a huge problem paring strikers, a problem that any manager would like to have ...

United will be without RVP and Rooney vs. Chelsea this weekend ( at least that is what it states as the latest report ).
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:No one has ever achieved 100 pts. before Jan.31st in the Premier League and City should smash that record. Perhaps even pts. for the entire season, I'm not sure what it is ? Pellegrini has a huge problem paring strikers, a problem that any manager would like to have ...

United will be without RVP and Rooney vs. Chelsea this weekend ( at least that is what it states as the latest report ).
I simply don't understand what you are saying here Rich and I am not trying to be nasty about this. City have 47 points now with 17 games to play so the maximum points they can accrue is 98. Do you mean 100 goals in all competitions before Jan 31st there Rich? At the moment City have scored 59 goals in the Premier League so they would need to bang in a quick 41 in the next 3 or 4 games to make 100 premier league goals before Jan 31st.

I am ashamed to say that there is a little bit of me that loves seeing Blackburn getting thumped. That was a thing of beauty. I believe this guilty pleasure dates back to Mr Hughes time in charge there. I managed to enjoy the Stoke game on the weekend too (and I am about as far from a Liverpool supporter as you can get).
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

"The 5-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers in Wednesday's FA Cup third-round replay took the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League champions to 99 goals in all competitions. City have netted 38 times in 10 League matches, all of which have ended in victory for Pellegrini's charges. "

Yes, unprecedented in ALL matches before Jan.31.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:"The 5-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers in Wednesday's FA Cup third-round replay took the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League champions to 99 goals in all competitions. City have netted 38 times in 10 League matches, all of which have ended in victory for Pellegrini's charges. "

Yes, unprecedented in ALL matches before Jan.31.
Nope, still none the wiser. Carry on though, it is all very entertaining.....
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think the statistic is across all leagues they are in. So, like this:

Premier League: 59
Champions League: 18
FA Cup: .....
Capitol One Cup: ....

etc.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No English team has ever scored 100 goals across all competitions before 31st January. City are 1 away from doing that with a home game against Cardiff coming up tomorrow. We have an average of 4 goals (exactly) per game at home this season. It looks likely we will break that record. In terms of league goals in a season, we look on track for that but it still looks unlikely for me we can keep this up all season long...
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

olan wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:No one has ever achieved 100 pts. before Jan.31st in the Premier League and City should smash that record. Perhaps even pts. for the entire season, I'm not sure what it is ? Pellegrini has a huge problem paring strikers, a problem that any manager would like to have ...

I simply don't understand what you are saying here Rich and I am not trying to be nasty about this. City have 47 points now with 17 games to play so the maximum points they can accrue is 98. Do you mean 100 goals in all competitions before Jan 31st there Rich? At the moment City have scored 59 goals in the Premier League so they would need to bang in a quick 41 in the next 3 or 4 games to make 100 premier league goals before Jan 31st.

I am ashamed to say that there is a little bit of me that loves seeing Blackburn getting thumped. That was a thing of beauty. I believe this guilty pleasure dates back to Mr Hughes time in charge there. I managed to enjoy the Stoke game on the weekend too (and I am about as far from a Liverpool supporter as you can get).
Why the animosity to Hughes? Always been a bit of needle from Evertonians to him since the Lescott haggling?

He falls into the same "Did he?" bracket of people like Sansom, Ginola and Westerveld that you forget actually played for the blues.

He's clearly a tit mind - no time for him whatsoever. Has built a managerial career on the basis of about 6 decent months as Welsh boss.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
olan wrote:

Why the animosity to Hughes? Always been a bit of needle from Evertonians to him since the Lescott haggling?

He falls into the same "Did he?" bracket of people like Sansom, Ginola and Westerveld that you forget actually played for the blues.

He's clearly a tit mind - no time for him whatsoever. Has built a managerial career on the basis of about 6 decent months as Welsh boss.
My dislike of Huges goes back to the whole "Blackeye Rovers" thing. There was a really nasty element to that Blackburn team he managed, which wasn't apparent before he went there. Plus he moans on and on in interviews in an annoying way, and then there is The Chin....

I also really enjoy watch Allardyce loose, despite having a soft spot for West Ham (from the football played under John Lyall in the 1980s with Brooking, Devonshire, Holland, Lampard, Bonds et al) .

I suppose it all comes down to me being a vindictive grudge bearing little bastard really :lol:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I can't stand hughes. Everyone kicked up a fuss when city sacked him but bear in mind we'd just drawn 8/9 in a row and then scraped a 4-3 win at home against Sunderland. He is a manager that always tries to get a draw out of a game, and that is not the kind of manager I want around. An his moaning, you're right on that. Bought some utter shit for us no doubt, but fair play he did bring in some solid players too (Zaba, Kompany, De Jong).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Another 4 goals, can't argue with Cardiff's first but the second at the end was crap to give away. Still, a 4-2 is fine by me. Hart has been playing well, and did the same today despite conceding 2. 103 goals and counting. Crazy football.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Some of you guys probably read/heard this by now, but Rooney is stalling on extending his contract beyond 2015.

"Manchester United are reportedly planning a bold move to replace Wayne Rooney with Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani. The England international is rumoured to be on his way out next summer with the Uruguay goal-scoring machine potentially becoming the new Old Trafford hero."
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I really can't see Cavani heading to United. I like him, but even if he does they're gonna need some other buys to get some decent service in to him. Sure he can create a chance for himself, but he isn't the hardest working when it comes to the tough games. Great player all the same. I always preferred Lavezzi, was very keen on city going after him but not really any need now!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Certainly I don't know the credibility of these reports or any reports, their just gossip/rumours floating about. But, I had a feeling that Rooney is not comfortable with Moyes at the helm. Also, Moyes just stated recently that top players still want to play for United, I'm not sure of that ? Cesc Fabregas and Boateng rejected offers last summer and the verdict is still not out on Moyes as what his capabilities are. Certainly, he didn't make amends with Rooney by stating in the start of the season that RVP is first striker and Rooney is secondary or backup or something along those lines. Moyes certainly shot himself with that statement. Just read that the board of directors at United just approved a 130 pound war chest for the summer transfer ... Also, United has not been known to sell to a rival and so you could probably see Rooney playing abroad at one of the other leagues.

I like the fact that this season it is more ' competitive ' with each week a new team on top of the table, trading positions. City is certainly not guaranteeed and it'll be a tight race down to the last week !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Really nice to see Everton a smaller price than United to win the league. Heard so many Everton fans glad to see the back of Moyes (not ungrateful, just saw that he couldn't take them further), and it's great to see martinez doing well there.

£130? Sounds about right :wink:

City for the league? I think it is the most likely outcome, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it went to Arsenal. I think Chelsea look really average and their home form is going to be important to keep them in touch. No doubt they're a great team but they're not doing it for me right now. Maybe next year they will play some better football.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It seems like the Juan Mata situation is gaining traction for $65.8 million dollars or 35 million pounds. Smells like desperation for them.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Looked like an exciting game tonite w/ Sunderland going thru and playing City for the title.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was looking forward to a derby final, but it's nice to have what is probably the easier tie. Still, Sunderland have knocked out Chelsea too so they're not pushovers. They beat us earlier this year also.

The Mata transfer is ridiculous. If he is worth 37/40m...well.. Amazing. Chelsea paid just over 20 for him? He had 1 good season (good, I wasn't going overboard about him even then) and has barely even played this year. How can you pay nearly double what a team paid for a player when they clearly don't want him anyway? If they wait til summer they would get him for much less because he will DEFINITELY be leaving. He doesn't often start for spain. Much better value for them if they wait. They could probably buy Isco for less and he is a real top quality player but isn't getting the minutes at real. In fact, it would probably suit united and real to do a loan to see how Isco may get on in a top league.

United are done for this season, I don't even think they will get top 4. Signing Mata won't change that now, so they may as well just wait it out til summer for better deals. He is a good player, just good. Not 40m. I agree when people say Fernandinho isn;t worth 30m etc... etc.., but when you sign a player INTEGRAL to the team they're at, they cost more. It's obvious Mata is not important to Mourinho or Chelsea now, so how they can receive such a high fee is incredible.

Pure comedy in Salford this week!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Mata is top quality.
Isco?! all he is at this stage is unproven hype. Mata's the real deal. just because he isn't integral to the mourinho system doesn't make him any less of a special footballer.

40mil is the going rate for players of that class. i agree it's stupid, even 25mil is stupid, but that's the way of the top tier professional sports. but the idea he's somehow not top draw or that isco is seen as a better alternative isn't something i can get behind.

& i mean mata is a proven premiership player, you've got to factor that into the price as well. arsenal paid similar for a similar player in ozil but he had no premiership experience. mata is twice chelsea's player of the season (& a champions league winner - & a world cup winner?). he's proven to be a difference maker in the english game.
imo there's no question of the guys credentials.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd much rather sign Isco to Mata, I wouldn't pay £40m for either though!

Mata for £40m is insanity. You cannot spend £40m on a player that isn't wanted at his club, it is ridiculous. They could buy 2 £20m players which would have a much better impact on the team because they actually NEED about 4/5 players.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ryan Bertrand is a champions league winner. So is Peter Crouch? I wouldn't factor that into value too much.

He played once for Spain in their World Cup winning tournament, 20 minutes as a sub. He didn't start in the Euro Cup for them either, though he did score the 4th in the final after coming on as a sub. If someone came in to buy David Silva I wouldn't expect £40m for him, but I rate him much higher. I would even prefer Alexis Sanchez, I imagine his price isn't too high these days and he's a real worker.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Looks like Sheikh Mansour is buying another football club, Melbourne Hearts (A-League). The article states that they'll change the name to " Melbourne City ".

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/m ... 31bs1.html

My, my he certainly isn't skint. This is the 3rd football club that he has in his portfolio. I, guess the new franchise : New York City Football Club will start soon, as well the colors will be the same as City.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, I don't suspect it costs him very much at all to buy a team in the A-League, probably a month of Javi Garcia's wage. I really don't like the association though if I'm honest. I thought the NYCFC team was pretty interesting, but I'm not sure why. I suppose it helps Manchester City in a great number of ways, but i'm not sure what they are. In terms of these other sides, I think you can tell I'm just not so sure.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Crickey ! City almost lost one today, of all clubs Watford if it wasn't for the brilliance of Aguero.

I'm indifferent about it all, I think he can benefit w/ the clubs and generate publicity and exposure. For example, City playing friendlies w/ the New York and Melbourne counterparts and cross promote the clubs more easily. I actually don't mind that they have the same club/kit colors either and in fact could be beneficial. I don't think one can confuse Manchester City with New York Football Club nor Melbourne City.

The Glazer family owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (american football) and United and John Henry owns the Boston Red Sox (baseball) and Liverpool. You can't promote those two clubs with one another, because their different sports.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I'd started to follow Melbourne heart due to the Leeds connection of kewell & kisnorbo but I'll have to change affinity now they're part of citygroup.

Didn't see the game but I never thought the result was in doubt. Knew they'd turn that 2-0 into a win & I actually predicted the result, wouldn't have been surprised had they got a 5th but they prob just ran out of time.

I suppose the first half may have exposed a lack of depth - no surprise to see michah Richards replaced by zabaleta & the difference in the 2 halves.

James T - well Sanchez wouldn't cost much because he's not top class, he's dime a dozen.Mata is a fantasy player, playing with more imagination compared to sanchez's workmanlike qualities. Silva's prob worth 60mil but Mata's younger & comparable in quality. Would you prefer Sanchez or another 'worker' over silva?! I can't believe this is even up for debate anymore: luxury/fantasy players like mata & silva are infinitely preferable & always will be to run-of-the-mill workman like footballers like Sanchez or the type of spoilers mourinho favours (hazard & one or two rare others the exception but certainly not likes of schurrle etc - just look what he did to Ireland's beloved Damien duff ffs turning him from a cherished creative talent into a sterile wingback, like he does with most of his wingers).
There is a place for water carriers but the priority is to play the most interesting & exciting players, the guys who elevate the game into something special.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I would prefer Sanchez to Mata. I would prefer Silva to both. Silva works bloody hard and gets his fair share of tackles in. Mata is a good player no doubt, but I think that is a terrible deal and I believe I will be proved right over the next 2 seasons.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Mata is to Silva what Genesis at to Pink Floyd. Does a job, but not what I want every week.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Mata is a great little player. He's only on the fringes of the Spain team on the basis that Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Alonso, Carzola, Fabregas, Pedro, Isco, Silva, and any other great players are in contention. It's not like playing for England when an over-the-hill Gerrard is still first choice.

Odd stuff from Chelsea frankly. Mata may not be the player Utd actually absolutely need right now - a big animal in the middle or the park, a full back, a centre back - but he will strengthen them a lot on the pitch, and also gives them a general lift when they look punch drunk stumbling from one (hilarious, obviously) defeat to the next.

£37m may seem a bit steep - but it's not that outrageous.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Big chance for city to go top tomorrow after arsenals draw!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

City has certainly found their away form w/ today's win - 1 pt. clear. The Spurs up until today have been playing well w/ new manager, Sherwood and had won 5 out of 6 domestic games, but City was too much.

I reckon Arsenal will slide further down the table. After Crystal Palace they have Liverpool and United (back to back).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was really impressed with our first half performance in particular. We had a problem though, you cannot go in only 1 nil up after the chances we had in the first 30 minutes. Sooner or later we would come unstuck in that situation.

However, a great showing and 5 goals away at spurs is crazy. Unbelievable football. If we beat chelsea next week, we'll be in a really strong position to reclaim the title. We have a tough run soon though, and there's plenty of football to be played.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Love how u can completely ignore the impact the ref & linesmen had on that city/spurs game. A legit goal ruled out, a pen & red card that should never have been.

Disappointing transfer deadline day. No massive/panic buys. Senderos/berba & cabaye all departing the league will miss watching them.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shouldn't have been a red card no, but if you fly in from behind that will happen from time to time whether it should be or not. That is the standard of refereeing we have. There was no need to make the tackle anyway, Dzeko would have struggled from that angle. We've had plenty of red cards been rescinded in the past and it will happen again. The ref didn't score 5 goals for us did he?

Adebayor was offside and headed it on (very slightly) to Dawson who scored. Dawson was not offside. I cannot believe you said it was a legit goal. I am astonished.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Juan doesn't Mata. City missed out on the Porto duo, but that's okay. They wanted a king's ransom for them on the last day of transfer. Rooney might reconsider on that extension ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Apparently we have signed Fernando to join on a free in the summer. Mangala I would like to sign and even though they want an absolute fortune, it could work out as a fine investment given his age and his ability already.

Fair play to Stoke today, but United deserved more from it.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Mourhino being Mourhino blowing his mouth AGAIN using reverse psychology stating that City should have had more silverware by now. Utter shite. He sounds frightened more than anything with the showdown looming tomorrow night.

James, I haven't heard anything about the extent of Aguero's injury ? Any news on that, as well how many weeks will he be out ?

Even with RVP, Rooney and Juan doesn't Mata in the lineup Moyes is way over his head. Not everyone can handle the spotlight and immense pressure that a big club brings. Should have stayed at Everton ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Upto a month for Aguero, which is a big blow for the champions league ties for sure. I think we can cope in the league though, we won all but one last time he was out. Dzeko has really impressed me with his attitude the past month or so, which isn't what I expected to be saying. I rate the guy very highly, but he really let his head drop in previous seasons when not playing; this time he has got the run and made his case.

Pellegrini really doesn't care for Mourinho, its clear to see he basically despises the guy.

United are ready to move up a gear this season i reckon, but it's too late. Some hope though in that Liverpool really stuffed up their chance to take a good hold of the 4th spot. That isn't something which would usually surprise me, but they have been good this year and they really need to make the UCL this year. If Liverpool don't make it this year, I get the feeling they will tail off again for a few years. They will always be back to fight for it, but it would be a real blow if they were to fuck up this time after the position they were at over christmas and even now.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't have cable. However, I was able to watch this game live at a local pub. Gutted. Mouhrino now bested City twice this season. City certainly had their chances, especially w/ Silva in the 20th minute or so. Then the Blues had a counter attack w/ four players that could have netted a goal, but good defending by Hart. Nothing you could do about that Inanovich goal, good slot in the corner. Now their both tied for second.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

On my way home now. Really disappointed after a good start to the game. We were lucky to still be in it after 65 minutes but we had some great play after that point too. Jovetic looked lovely. Extremely poor effort from negredo today, and dzeko despite his efforts had a poor game. They bossed midfield entirely did Chelsea, though dimichaelis made some great challenges.

Still ahead on goal difference, which they will never catch. That is as good as a point. Arsenal have lots of tough games now, and our run in the league looks positive going forward, going off recent form it wouldn't be a huge surprise to see us win every game up until the derby in march (league wise I mean).

Chelsea have taken 6 points off us this season and still are not ahead, so their form elsewhere is something they still need to work on if they want to finish ahead of us. Tough season ahead though!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Wow. I did not say jovetic looked "lovely"! Great autocorrect moment!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Watched the game last night and tho as a Leeds fan it pains me to say it I thought Chelsea were excellent and in Hazard they have arguably the best midfielder in the Premiership.
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Poor night for City, Chelsea won the midfield, had the best chances and deserved their win, City`s much vaunted attack seemed very blunt last night, crossing and corners were ... dreadful really, 12 corners & most easily cleared away very frustrating as a City fan on the quiet, Demichelis looked like a fish out off water to me, poor in possession and decision making putting his teammates under pressure at times, still , City are still in front of Chelsea, knuckle down and get a good run of games on the go and I still fancy them to end up Champions,