Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

olan
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by olan »

Liverpool are 2-0 up already. That is 12 goals in 5 games for Suarez against Norwich, 8 of those scored in in 2 and bit games at Carrow Road.

I think my worst nightmare is upcoming.....Everton vs City and I will want City to win otherwise the other lot end up Champions (sorry Harry).
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

2 more goals and Liverpool are well on the way to that total, goal difference can count, remember.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I used to rate Sakho when at PSG, but he's fucking useless. Gets away with murder, did it again today on the edge of th area. Well done to norwich for making a game out of it. Liverpool doing well still but have to avoid playing like that again, really poor after the first 20 yet again. 2 lucky third goals in a week looks to have set them up well for the league though, and you do need that.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:I used to rate Sakho when at PSG, but he's fucking useless. Gets away with murder, did it again today on the edge of th area. Well done to norwich for making a game out of it. Liverpool doing well still but have to avoid playing like that again, really poor after the first 20 yet again. 2 lucky third goals in a week looks to have set them up well for the league though, and you do need that.
Such generous praise!

11 wins on the bounce.

I had to go for a walk on 85 minutes. Watered the plants. Such a coward
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I will praise them when deserved, like the first half against city. Today was really poor and arrogant after going ahead, much like city against villa and Cardiff, although we were made to pay for it. Liverpool have let 2 goal leads slip a few times recently, and sooner or later there will be one game where they don't get it back. Not a criticism, just an observation! Those 2 winning goals were lucky past 2 games, we have had luck at times too, nothing wrong or derogatory about saying it how it is. Liverpool win 13 or 14 of their last 14 games no one can argue it is deserved.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KingHarry wrote: Watered the plants.

Is that a euphemism??

Liverpool struggle to control the game. Heavily reliant on counter attacking. Maybe need to evolve in that respect nxt season.. Some wonderful passing building from the back - most of the time they couldn't play the game in norwichs half..

Sakho's always been overhyped - he's a typical football manager legend. Apparently his transfer fee was some kinda inflated arrangement to puff up everyone's reputation rather than being based on talent - if it were based on talent psg wouldn't have sold him in the first place. He's still young tho & Rodgers has shown great aptitude at developing & improving players..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:I will praise them when deserved, like the first half against city. Today was really poor and arrogant after going ahead, much like city against villa and Cardiff, although we were made to pay for it. Liverpool have let 2 goal leads slip a few times recently, and sooner or later there will be one game where they don't get it back. Not a criticism, just an observation! Those 2 winning goals were lucky past 2 games, we have had luck at times too, nothing wrong or derogatory about saying it how it is. Liverpool win 13 or 14 of their last 14 games no one can argue it is deserved.
"Really poor after the first 20 minutes yet again"

Liverpool don't strike me as an arrogant team. Liverpool have let a 2 goal lead slip a few times recently? Really poor after the first 20 minutes yet again?
I think we've let a 2 goal lead slip once recently - against a multi-talented City team whose interplay made me dizzy watching it. I'm not sure where the "yet again" comes from, as it suggests a multiple of more than twice.

Not top quality today and sloppy periods, but that is 11 straight wins from a team that most predicted a Europa place for and you yourself have predicted throughout would fall away into the footnotes. An unbelievable set of results over past 7 days, leaving LFC 5 points clear of much deeper and, honestly, more talented and expensive squads.
Would have been good to win 6 nil and less stressful, but Norwich showed good resolve, mixed it up, Mignolet dropped a bollock, so it was tight.
However, I'm happy with this situation :D
Much to be done, but we are well placed.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:
KingHarry wrote: Watered the plants.

Is that a euphemism??

Liverpool struggle to control the game. Heavily reliant on counter attacking. Maybe need to evolve in that respect nxt season.. Some wonderful passing building from the back - most of the time they couldn't play the game in norwichs half..

Sakho's always been overhyped - he's a typical football manager legend. Apparently his transfer fee was some kinda inflated arrangement to puff up everyone's reputation rather than being based on talent - if it were based on talent psg wouldn't have sold him in the first place. He's still young tho & Rodgers has shown great aptitude at developing & improving players..
No - I actually did water the plants. Pretty cool huh? :lol:
I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm sure it's doing some lasting damage.

I'm not completely sure about Sakho, I knew nothing of him when we signed him, other than we'd been after him a while and he was well regarded (by whom I don't know). I think he's mostly looked decent. Aggar is more of a footballing centre back but he himself has become a bit of non-defending defender - constantly beat in the air, and fragile. Sakho has actually looked decent on the ball, picks a pass well, and gives us a lot more in defending set-pieces. Not his best today, and he may not be the next Sami Hyppia, but looks ok.
Re his fee- as I understand it, PSG expected to get about 7m for him, he'd been injured for about 6 mths and as entering the last 12-mths of his contract - then Liverpool got in touch and somehow ended up paying around 15m quid for him.
Not sure how this happens but our MD is a complete bell end!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

KingHarry wrote:
James T wrote:I will praise them when deserved, like the first half against city. Today was really poor and arrogant after going ahead, much like city against villa and Cardiff, although we were made to pay for it. Liverpool have let 2 goal leads slip a few times recently, and sooner or later there will be one game where they don't get it back. Not a criticism, just an observation! Those 2 winning goals were lucky past 2 games, we have had luck at times too, nothing wrong or derogatory about saying it how it is. Liverpool win 13 or 14 of their last 14 games no one can argue it is deserved.

Liverpool don't strike me as an arrogant team. Liverpool have let a 2 goal lead slip a few times recently? Really poor after the first 20 minutes yet again?
I think we've let a 2 goal lead slip once recently - against a multi-talented City team whose interplay made me dizzy watching it. I'm not sure where the "yet again" comes from, as it suggests a multiple of more than twice.

Not top quality today and sloppy periods, but that is 11 straight wins from a team that most predicted a Europa place for and you yourself have predicted throughout would fall away into the footnotes. An unbelievable set of results over past 7 days, leaving LFC 5 points clear of much deeper and, honestly, more talented and expensive squads.
Would have been good to win 6 nil and less stressful, but Norwich showed good resolve, mixed it up, Mignolet dropped a bollock, so it was tight.
Stoke City, you also conceded 3 against Swansea and 3 against Cardiff; were fortunate to beat sunderland and west ham both 2-1 also. I am not taking anything away from a fantastic run of results, but that shit needs to be cut out to be entirely confident in results coming in playing games like that.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And also, I said that they looked to have made a mess of a good opportunity and that IF they didn't make the champions league it would be hard for them to challenge next year. IF they hadn't of made the top 4 I stand by that. No one would have predicted the run that came since that point, and much credit to them for managing it. They had a poor period and after that they surprised many not just me. I don't believe any liverpool fans would have believed this would be the position they got to with 3 games to play.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

Stoke City, you also conceded 3 against Swansea and 3 against Cardiff; were fortunate to beat sunderland and west ham both 2-1 also. I am not taking anything away from a fantastic run of results, but that shit needs to be cut out to be entirely confident in results coming in playing games like that.
Ok, there's a danger of over analysing this, but ...
Stoke City - yes, sloppy - but we ended up scoring 5, and it was 15+ games ago
Cardiff - we were behind twice - I thought this as about shipping 2 goal leads?! :D
Sunlund / West Ham - again, shipping 2 goal leads? Not convinced we were fortunate either.

Grain of truth in what you are saying as acknowledged in my original post, but we are doing ok. Certainly better than the 7th place finish you predicted - so ahead of schedule to date.
Just hope we can hang on, horribly tense game on Sunday to come, we will need to step up for that one. Not sure what the situation with Hazard is, as he seems vital for what is a pretty sterile Chelsea team. Palace away will be very hard indeed. Newcastle are absolutely shambolic, which probably means they will turn up and play like Brazil 70.
I expect City to win all 5 of their remaining games
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jesus. Its a 38 game season. Any team is bound to have ebbs and flows. No one is perfect.
Liverpool got hot at the perfect time. As long as you win by a goal that is all that counts in my book as well as the tables.
This coming from a City fan 4000 miles away.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Stoke was that long ago?? Sorry. I have started drinking (even more) heavily since we drew with norwich.

Also I never thought Liverpool would finish 7th! It looked like you could miss out on top 4 for a while, but the turnaround is incredible yes. Nice touch here though for me, and rarely shared, I told my dad to back Liverpool for the title at the start of the season between us. So, if that does unfortunately happen, we should have won a bit of money.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Only stand sold out for title decider @mcfc tonight is the 1 where tickets are cheaper than away end! City are a massive club

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

cantona wrote:Only stand sold out for title decider @mcfc tonight is the 1 where tickets are cheaper than away end! City are a massive club
1.jpg
1.jpg (42.97 KiB) Viewed 7286 times
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:
cantona wrote:Only stand sold out for title decider @mcfc tonight is the 1 where tickets are cheaper than away end! City are a massive club
1.jpg
Did make me snigger though, thought of a United fan checking ticket availability at City, desperate indeed, such is the mind of the more `partisan` football fan,

City`s finish to the season has been woeful, very disappointed up here, this `mentally drained` stuff Pellegrini came away with won`t wash with most,
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

niamhm wrote:
runcible wrote:
1.jpg
Did make me snigger though, thought of a United fan checking ticket availability at City, desperate indeed, such is the mind of the more `partisan` football fan,

City`s finish to the season has been woeful, very disappointed up here, this `mentally drained` stuff Pellegrini came away with won`t wash with most,
Twitter my friend.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

David Moyes sacked: Manchester United lose patience following Premier League failure

KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Sad day for football if the reports are true - he's done a fantastic job there.

Was hoping to see how much further he could take them.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

As with most matches, tix will usually be sold out on match day. Thanks Cantona for keeping tabs on the tix availability. Like you I worry about that every home match at the Etihad. How did Moyes do against his former club and what a nice welcome reception. Martinez is the football genius and not Moyes. A lot of players are rallying behind Moyes ie - welbeck, hernandez, zidic, rvp. I hope they keep Moyes.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

spacemanrich wrote:As with most matches, tix will usually be sold out on match day. Thanks Cantona for keeping tabs on the tix availability. Like you I worry about that every home match at the Etihad. How did Moyes do against his former club and what a nice welcome reception. Martinez is the football genius and not Moyes. A lot of players are rallying behind Moyes ie - welbeck, hernandez, zidic, rvp. I hope they keep Moyes.
You can't buy a ticket at match day for a Liverpool or Manchester United ( if they there in the top 4 ).

Wake up. Martinez has done a good job, but Moyes got them to the Champions League.

Manchester United was to big for Moyes.He will be a good manager for Newcastle or Aston Villa
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Man U fans version of reverse schadenfreude. :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Even tho' i'm a City supporter, I'm starting a petition for Moyes : " ONE MORE YEAR ! " :shock:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Fucks sake west brom are so shit.

& are people trying to hate on city for not selling out 60,000-odd tickets for a west brom game?! On a Monday night? I'd take the opposite view & pity anyone who paid to watch it..

Edit god almighty what a waste of time why did west brom even show up if that's how they're going to play

Edit 2 ha sweet goal city farted around w free kick should've shot. Great finish.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Poor game, but we did what was needed I guess. The silva injury really took the steam out of us just as we were looking to get another goal.

Love your work Cantona, checking our tickets sales so you can put it on here. That is probably the funniest thing I've seen on here. Ever. I am not surprised it didn't sell out at £58 a ticket, FFP in full glory there people, inflated ticket prices and £4.20 for a pie. The pie was good though.

Man, that is funny. Weird though seen as you clearly don't check for united tickets if you think they're hard to get! Also love how you said it was hard to get tickets for united (IF THEY'RE IN THE TOP 4) but you were going on about the great fans a while back. You, my friend, are a laugh a post.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Moyes In Moyes In Moyes In, after all he is 'The Chosen One' :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

James T wrote:Poor game, but we did what was needed I guess. The silva injury really took the steam out of us just as we were looking to get another goal.

Love your work Cantona, checking our tickets sales so you can put it on here. That is probably the funniest thing I've seen on here. Ever. I am not surprised it didn't sell out at £58 a ticket, FFP in full glory there people, inflated ticket prices and £4.20 for a pie. The pie was good though.

Man, that is funny. Weird though seen as you clearly don't check for united tickets if you think they're hard to get! Also love how you said it was hard to get tickets for united (IF THEY'RE IN THE TOP 4) but you were going on about the great fans a while back. You, my friend, are a laugh a post.
It is all over Twitter that you can sell out and also Liverpool fans laugh at you.As a Liverpool fan said"Just look at all the empty seats, so man city are a title challenge team and can't sell out seats but yet we sell out for a charity game"You have the chance to be Champions and so many empty seats.You, my friend are a laughing joke.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

cantona wrote:.
It is all over Twitter that you can sell out and also Liverpool fans laugh at you.As a Liverpool fan said"Just look at all the empty seats, so man city are a title challenge team and can't sell out seats but yet we sell out for a charity game"You have the chance to be Champions and so many empty seats.You, my friend are a laughing joke.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

cantona wrote:It is all over Twitter that you can sell out and also Liverpool fans laugh at you.As a Liverpool fan said"Just look at all the empty seats, so man city are a title challenge team and can't sell out seats but yet we sell out for a charity game"You have the chance to be Champions and so many empty seats.You, my friend are a laughing joke.
So it's better to sell out a stadium than actually challenge for the title?

Seems priorities at Old Trafford have changed a lot since Fergie retired.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

runcible wrote:
cantona wrote:It is all over Twitter that you can sell out and also Liverpool fans laugh at you.As a Liverpool fan said"Just look at all the empty seats, so man city are a title challenge team and can't sell out seats but yet we sell out for a charity game"You have the chance to be Champions and so many empty seats.You, my friend are a laughing joke.
So it's better to sell out a stadium than actually challenge for the title?

Seems priorities at Old Trafford have changed a lot since Fergie retired.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Liverpool sold out a hillsborough memorial game, so I find it distasteful that anyone would bring that into the discussion. I am genuinely amazed by your obsession with empty seats. Obviously you had a bad childhood experience which involved around 2,000 empty seats. Let's also remember that west brom returned 3 quarters of their allocation last night. We didn't sell out last night and it doesn't surprise me. The extra seats are majority for season tickets to be sold at just £299, the cheapest in the league for one of the best home records in europe. Many have been sold already. Let's not worry about it, concentrate on your team and not seats at another ground. Says a lot about city being a small club if you keep checking for tickets.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

So you are saying that Man City is not a massive club?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well there goes Moyes. Despite a certain inevitability I am still amazed at how short-sighted the visions are for owners. The obvious comparisons to Ferguson's tricky period earlier on in his time at Old Trafford are already being discussed. Fans wanted him out and he only just survived. Then look at what happened over the next couple of decades.

It does seem Moyes really couldn't get to grips with what he had on his hands. I wonder who could have taken that job on and made it work in one season? But getting rid now looks weird - what is someone else going to accomplish with 4 games left?

And Mr Cantona - you do make it easy to poke holes in what you say. 'An open goal' to coin a phrase - hard to resist. As JT says your obsession with empty seats is curious. Filling a stadium doesn't win the league and just because there are more fans of Man U than most other clubs isn't how winning works.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think it was a bad time for Moyes to go, they seemed to be finding their feet slowly and have the best away form in the league. that said, I thought he was a bad appointment in the first place.

I never said city are not a massive club, I was making out how odd it is you feel they are some little club but yet you are checking for tickets for games just to prove some kind of point. I don't go for all this massive club nonsense anyway. Barcelona are maybe what you would call a "massive club", yet I have bought tickets on the day to see them. Does that mean they are actually not very good after all?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Moyes, thanks for the memories :
* lowest points total for a United club
* first time not making the Champions League in over two decades
* worst home record since 1978

I'd admit, tough shoes to fill for Moyes. I'm afraid that the next manager
might be good.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

runcible wrote:Well there goes Moyes. Despite a certain inevitability I am still amazed at how short-sighted the visions are for owners. The obvious comparisons to Ferguson's tricky period earlier on in his time at Old Trafford are already being discussed. Fans wanted him out and he only just survived. Then look at what happened over the next couple of decades.

It does seem Moyes really couldn't get to grips with what he had on his hands. I wonder who could have taken that job on and made it work in one season? But getting rid now looks weird - what is someone else going to accomplish with 4 games left?

And Mr Cantona - you do make it easy to poke holes in what you say. 'An open goal' to coin a phrase - hard to resist. As JT says your obsession with empty seats is curious. Filling a stadium doesn't win the league and just because there are more fans of Man U than most other clubs isn't how winning works.
Mr.runclible. I am not obsessed with empty seats.Try a take a look on Twitter.Man United,Chelsea, Arsenal,Newcastle,Everton and Tottenham fans are all saying the same. But it is funny when City fans where saying "just wait the day we win the league, we will also fill our stadium.It is still unbelievable that you can not fill a stadium when you the chance to win the Premier League.

What will owners do when City is not in the CL and there are more empty seats than today?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Most of your recent responses to Man U's poor season have referred to lack of ticket sales at Man City compared to Old Trafford. Even in this response where you say it's not of interest to you you go on about it...

Like I said - kind of easy to take a pop at that as it appears to be a prime issue for you.

For many other clubs Man U's season would be enviable. I'm a Leeds fan - no one knows true football fan horror like us lot. I'd love us to have a season like yours. Seems a long way off - I was at the game yesterday and it was truly appalling. As you guys have ruled the roost for so long - and not in a way I have enjoyed - it's hardly surprising the glee with which Man U's dippy season has been greeted by opposing fans. I've enjoyed it too but I won't ever gloat about it. Football has a way of coming back and biting you where it hurts when you do that.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If you're seeing all these people on twitter, I can only assume you're searching on twitter for 'man city empty seats' or something similar. We sold out games before we even made the champions league again, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. What's the problem? Anyway, you would struggle to get more empty seats than today at the ground because there's no match on.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

James T wrote:If you're seeing all these people on twitter, I can only assume you're searching on twitter for 'man city empty seats' or something similar. We sold out games before we even made the champions league again, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. What's the problem? Anyway, you would struggle to get more empty seats than today at the ground because there's no match on.
The name is Retweeted.Welcome to the internet.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I know a retweet... My job is in Social Media, and I'm sure that if you're seeing that many you are either searching for it, or follow someone who searches for it and retweets them all which would be really odd and you should unfollow them probably. Anyway, check the united ticket store next time I'm sure your luck will be in. They didn't sell out season tickets either this time, so if you want one go and grab one so you don't miss out on those magical european nights.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

And you say I'm obsessed?

And to correct you.All season tickets 2013/14 are sold out.You can join the priory list for 2014/15.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Strange they put an advert in the evening news 2 months into the season advertising them then. Oh well, you polish your community shield and we'll polish our micky mouse cup and we're both happy.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Who follows or has time to follow twitter or fakebook ? Someone who tweets is is a twit.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

cantona wrote:.

What will owners do when City is not in the CL and there are more empty seats than today?
What is the point here? Dont Man U currently have a more expensive roster? What is the guaranty Man U's season is just a blip. All I hear about is who is leaving after the season. Who are they going to bring in to make that big a difference?
The banter on N.American sports fan sites is often very funny. I have never seen it descend into a pissing match of which team has more empty seats. Not that this is a pissing match. It is just one way. Amusing not being able to see the forest thru the Man U shaded glasses.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Loving the reactions & [unintended idiotic] honesty of some of these glory hunting Man U fans to moyes sacking - one choice quote was something like 'falling out of love w/the game a bit' & it was put to him was this due to lack of loyalty in the modern game? His reply was, 'no, it's because we're not winning anymore'.

Again I made this point a while ago when hating on Liverpool fans & their staunch support of their club: utd's fans are generally the epitome of fairweather fans & they've got some brass neck criticising the fans of other clubs. Utd's games sellout because of daytrippers buying into the brand, they don't sell out due to hardcore fans.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote: Utd's games sellout because of daytrippers buying into the brand, they don't sell out due to hardcore fans.
Ouch. Sadly that's the truth. The fanbase is gigantic worldwide, no question. But there's a lot of different bums on seats every week. You see that documentary on the 'season ticket touts' a while back? They are rife at Old Trafford - touts who buy season tickets and then sell each individual ticket to whoever they want. The makers of the programme filmed loads of them and then tried to get Man U to do something about it. Which bizarrely they wouldn't. It's not difficult to sell tickets up there because of the mass of people who wait for the chance to get along to a game which they might only have a few times a season. That's tough on the real fans if their opportunity is being screwed every home game by the touts. I believe quite a lot of the Man U season tickets are controlled by these people...
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

jack white wrote:Loving the reactions & [unintended idiotic] honesty of some of these glory hunting Man U fans to moyes sacking - one choice quote was something like 'falling out of love w/the game a bit' & it was put to him was this due to lack of loyalty in the modern game? His reply was, 'no, it's because we're not winning anymore'.

Again I made this point a while ago when hating on Liverpool fans & their staunch support of their club: utd's fans are generally the epitome of fairweather fans & they've got some brass neck criticising the fans of other clubs. Utd's games sellout because of daytrippers buying into the brand, they don't sell out due to hardcore fans.
So United are the only club with daytrippers?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Of course they are only club with daytrippers. Just like city are the only team with empty seats, and Liverpool the only team with a player that dives.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I've noticed the patchy attendances at City. There was the cup game v Chelsea, and then these recent league games. Found it quite shocking to be honest.
Clearly City haven't got anything like the fanbase of Utd or Liverpool, but I do find it strange that there are so many unsold tickets. Re the no-show season ticket holders - haven't they got any mates? There are times I can't go, but I would always move my ticket on to a mate.
Having said that, I heard that the tickets for the WBrom game started from £56. Which seems unlikely, but madness if true. The majority of tickets at Anfield are pretty flat rate of £40-50. To be honest, I always thought City moved a good chunk of their tickets very cheap to ensure they got decent numbers in?

Re the day trippers - and the comment about Utd doing nothing to crack-down on local touts moving individual tickets to day tippers. I suspect Utd realise that some Ted from Surrey travelling up to Salford with wife + 2 kids is far more likely to visit the superstore and spend an additional £100 than the local lads from Ordsall. It suits them. It's the same at Liverpool. There are tickets that are made available through the travel companies that end up in Dublin or whereever else - get them over they spend money in the ground, in the shop.

I've had a season ticket since we went all seater (you obv didn;t need one before then), and I've considered giving it up a few times in past 3 years. The problem is that at Anfield, that would basically be the end of my match going days - you simply can not get in as all games are sold out completely for months in advance.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Now I've learned of this new logic, equating good attendance with performance - as a Newcastle fan please tell me where we can collect our trophies?

There's a dusty cabinet at St. James that's not been troubled since 1969...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

KingHarry wrote:Re the no-show season ticket holders - haven't they got any mates? There are times I can't go, but I would always move my ticket on to a mate.
Having said that, I heard that the tickets for the WBrom game started from £56. Which seems unlikely, but madness if true. The majority of tickets at Anfield are pretty flat rate of £40-50. To be honest, I always thought City moved a good chunk of their tickets very cheap to ensure they got decent numbers in?
Tickets for West Brom were £58 standard price in the side stands, which is absolutely shocking. West Brom fans would not buy them, which is why most were returned. Tickets were £48 behind the goal I think.

In terms of moving on your season ticket. My dad couldn't go, so I took a friend instead. He had to pay to upgrade the ticket from a senior citizen ticket to a standard adult one... FORTY POUNDS.

It's crazy this season, and I'm not sure why the standard prices have gone like that. The season tickets are the best value in the league, and some of them are cheaper than division 3 sides, but the standard tickets have gone up a lot. I'm guessing it is something to do with FFP, everything goes back to that now. Liverpool's season tickets (for adults) start at around £700, that's £400 more than the cheapest adult season tickets at city which are £275. Prices are a grey area, especially for away fans. City have paid 50% of ticket costs for a number of away games this season which is nice, some other teams have done this too but not sure which. Maybe the tickets are more for members to cover the cheaper costs for season ticket holders, which maybe isn't the right way to do it. We could speculate all night on that really.

I get that you have seen empty seats at some of the games, but almost all the league games have sold out, so what are you gonna do really. There's been a few games this season where I needed extra tickets and couldn't get them, and they weren't particularly desirable fixtures. I don't know why there are empty seats at some of the sell out games, but they're always the exact same areas so I bet a good amount that its something to do with sponsors and corporate packages. There is a main block in the centre which is always empty for the first 10 minutes of each half, it seems to fill up with people from the boxes and suites. It annoys me, but I don't see why any who supports another club should mind. I have no idea why any of you give it a second thought to be honest. I couldn't care less whether Liverpool have 60k or 30k, or if Villa only get 15k one game, if Ajax struggle to get 10k one dark rainy winter night when the game is on telly. If they're saying they sell the tickets, they probably sell them, it wouldn't make sense to not take any more sales just for the sake of making it up; and a team wouldn't be so stupid to expand a ground if they weren't selling enough tickets already. The people who run top tier football clubs are businessmen, and they wouldn't waste their money on something like that if it didn't make sense to them. Also, if it means they can lower prices by fitting more in, attendances should naturally go up.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Re the no-show season ticket holders - haven't they got any mates? There are times I can't go, but I would always move my ticket on to a mate.
Tickets for West Brom were £58 standard price in the side stands, which is absolutely shocking.

My dad couldn't go, so I took a friend instead. He had to pay to upgrade the ticket from a senior citizen ticket to a standard adult one... FORTY POUNDS.

The season tickets are the best value in the league, and some of them are cheaper than division 3 sides, but the standard tickets have gone up a lot. I'm guessing it is something to do with FFP, everything goes back to that now. Liverpool's season tickets (for adults) start at around £700, that's £400 more than the cheapest adult season tickets at city which are £275.

There is a main block in the centre which is always empty for the first 10 minutes of each half, it seems to fill up with people from the boxes and suites.

I have no idea why any of you give it a second thought to be honest.
If they're saying they sell the tickets, they probably sell them, it wouldn't make sense to not take any more sales just for the sake of making it up; and a team wouldn't be so stupid to expand a ground if they weren't selling enough tickets already. The people who run top tier football clubs are businessmen, and they wouldn't waste their money on something like that if it didn't make sense to them.

Also, if it means they can lower prices by fitting more in, attendances should naturally go up.
Genuinely, there's no need to be defensive - I'm actually just curious and you make some interesting points.

The prospect of City expanding the ground so that they could move more tickets at reduced prices would be a radically positive thing to do. It may be naive to think that this would happen, but if City are already making adult season tickets available for £300 then perhaps they would do so. How many £300 season tickets do City sell?
I've advocated for a long time that Liverpool should try and create a tier of ticket pricing that would encourage local kids / teenagers to attend the game. When I started going in the early 80's you would get lines of kids (frightening bastards to be honest!) sat long the crush barriers. The average age of the crowd in the Kop would have been well <25 (you only have to look at the profile of the 96 to see this). These days the Kop crowd is middle aged. It's the same people, no kids go because it would cost them a minimum of £725.
Whether or not there will be a cheap stand in an expanded Anfield I know not - but it is v unlikely as they know they could shift another 15k season tickets easily.

Re that upgrade from an OAP ticket - that's astonishing! One of our tickets is my Dad's that is an OAP ticket (£580). He rarely goes now, so we use his ticket and have never ever been challenged over it.

Re the FFP - is it possible that the club claims they have sold tickets for games - that they are sold out, so that they can claim greater revenues in balancing the requirements for FFP?

Finally, re the empty central block being slowed filled up by corporate suits - this sounds like that section of Wembley that always looks empty for the first ten minutes, the period either side of half time, and the last 10 minutes - where they house the corporates. It's an element of modern football that always grates - that they put the most undeserving in the prime seats, and that they can't even be arsed to watch the majority of the games.

Sorry - and the last point - City's ground always seems to empty early. It's the same at Arsenal's new ground. I can only thunk this is some infrastructure issue, where unless you get an early dart you get snarled up for ages afterwards - and is a feature of new grounds?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Ti-jean K'wak- a friend of mine works in a supermarket and was sacked for saying bad things about his work on facebook. man utd players badmouth the club in public then should be sacked and sued for bringing the club into disrepute, and as this could, hyperthetically, amount to millions in losses for united, as a world brand, united would win damages in millions from the players. more and more i find about about football the sicker it makes me feel and the less and less i enjoy the sport...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

City does empty about 5 minutes early a lot of the time, unless there is a lot on the line in those last 5 minutes! I do it to, it makes it over an hour quicker to get out. Because of where it was built, most of the parking is unofficial or on side streets that get full and blocked in, it is a nightmare if you leave once the whistle has gone. I don't see a massive problem with people making a quick exit if the game is pretty much through. There are also screens inside which often show the game, so you can watch the end by the exit and then run like the clappers to the car when injury time is up. To be honest, that was a similar problem at maine road also, and you always had the car smashed there.

I wasn't trying to be defensive, just so you know.

Also, liverpool have reduced child season tickets for next season to just over £200 now, I saw it when I was in liverpool on Monday in the echo. Well done to'em!

City sell a fair amount at £300, and that is what the majority of the expanded seats are for also. You can already buy your seat there, for that price.

In terms of making false claims about ticket sales, this isn't really possible. The police have figures about how many people actually enter the ground and these are published, as was done when it was said united had overestimated attendances largely last year.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:City does empty about 5 minutes early a lot of the time, unless there is a lot on the line in those last 5 minutes! I do it to, it makes it over an hour quicker to get out.
Got to admit I've never understood the idea of leaving early to beat the rush. I have only ever left a football match early once in my life, and that covers hundreds of matches over many years. For the record it was the league cup final when we were trounced 3-0 by Villa and produced one of the most inept Wembley performances in history. The old Wembley was awful to get out of and it was obvious the game was over at 3-0.

I just can't leave til it's over. Look at when Man City won the title. Or promotion from League 1. Or Man U in the Champions League final in 1999.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, I wouldn't leave early in that situation (even if my papa did). We didn't leave (old) wembley early when 2-0 in the division 2 play off final in 99, and that was fortunate! We played dog shit that day, so lucky but it stopped us going into administration and maybe going out of business eventually.

I'd never bother to leave an away match early, no need cause it's gonna take me ages to get home anyway! A night match, if its the difference between getting home at half 10 or half 11, I'd go with missing 5 minutes of a game if we're 2 up. I don't really mind, it looks a bit rubbish if everyone does it and maybe some people just aren't bothered about the result which is a shame, but it helps out sometimes if you gotta get somewhere. If I'm headed into the city I will stay til the end cause I will just walk in after the game and it has no effect when I leave. I think they're trying to improve this by opening a new tram stop at the ground, but the transport service are so useless that it doesn't really help at all.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I had no idea the transport wasn't good there - always presumed it was all mod cons etc. You'd think with a shiny new stadium like that they'd have all communications and transport sussed. I never went to Maine Road but heard stories from mates who did and hated a lot of the surrounding area which was dodgy and scary I'm told.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah moss side isn't great. You'd always get kids coming up on bikes when you park "can we mind yer car" and if you said no they would smash it while you're in there. Cost a couple of quid a match to keep it safe from them! Great ground though, great atmosphere which is hard to get back when you move.

To be honest, I'm surprised at how much traffic there is; I guess all those empty seats came in cars too.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I went to Maine Rd a number of times. One of the first was when we won 4-0 in the FA Cup - City were in the second tier, but were a coming team (Paul Stewart, Lake, that vintage - went on to beat Huddersfield (?) by ten goals that season I think). We had a great side then - must have been 1988.
We were in the Kippax corner away section. As we walked towards the exit (me about 15, with my Dad and brother) we walked past a copper and heard over his radio "And the City fans are throwing bricks at the Liverpool fans as they come out of the away end"!! We stopped inside for a bit.

I remember the really dodgy bit was the little street behind that Platt Lane end - there was no escape, 10 foot walls either side.

JT - Liverpool have indeed reduced kids tickets. They've always had the lads and Dads section, but that means you have to sit in the Anfield Rd end that tends to be full of whoppers, so if you wanted to go in the Kop you had to pay full whack for a kids season ticket. Can now convert a season ticket to a kids ticket anywhere in the ground. It's a good move.

A great solution would be to try and recreate the old kids pen and encourage huge swathes of lads to go again. The old paddock would be a great place - rip the seats out, put in old Wembley style benches, charge a tenner and fill it with locals youths. It would be an Asbo stand - terrifying. Opposition subs would be scared to warm up.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Doubt it was the city fans throwing bricks, just the local youths getting involved with the match day crowds. Rough as it comes round there.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not just saying that cause I'm a blue by the way, it's the same with loads of grounds. A city bus got bricked at anfield this season, always happens with naughty lads about.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm sure you read the article, but it seems like Morono is not going with a strong Chelsea side against the epic clash on Sunday with the Reds. Seems like he want to rest some pivotal players for the second leg with Athletico Madrid next Wednesday ?
Does he think that the Premiere title is out of grasp and that they have a better opportunity in the Champions League ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think if they beat Liverpool it is still between city and Liverpool now, the loss last week finished their league season. I think they will win the champions league though. Hope they don't cause mourinho is a terrible moron.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:I think if they beat Liverpool it is still between city and Liverpool now, the loss last week finished their league season. I think they will win the champions league though. Hope they don't cause mourinho is a terrible moron.
That is the kind of associations that will upset the majority of morons....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

"We mustn't forget that he's arguably the best in European football in a controlling role at this moment in time."

how do you spell hubris??
heh.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Some days you know it just isn't going to happen, I reached that point after 30 mins, predicted Chelsea would score just before half time and would then nick another towards the end. Oh well....

Really gets interesting now. Will we fold or can we keep it together? Fuck knows but my gut says the former. A draw, at best, against Palace and win at home to Newcastle leaving us just short of the mark.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five