Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by spacemanrich »

I forgot to mention that they also signed Toni Kroos and their trying to get rid of Angel di Maria ! Most managers would salivate with that kind of roster. I'd take James Rodriguez over Luis Suarez anyday.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nah, Liverpool's away kit is the best. :?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Isla to QPR...wonderful player just not sure he'll be as on the front foot with the newly promoted team
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

So, Suarez case is off to cas on Friday and it is believed an "express" ruling will be made sometime earlier next week.

Such a shame that the FIFA appeals committee are unable to do things in express mode...or even follow precedent

FCB are on target to spend 200m EUR this transfer window...revitalising there squad...without even having to appeal to cas for a suspension of the ban

Seems this is a new chapter for a club that once prided themselves on integrity
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:So, Suarez case is off to cas on Friday and it is believed an "express" ruling will be made sometime earlier next week.

Such a shame that the FIFA appeals committee are unable to do things in express mode...or even follow precedent

FCB are on target to spend 200m EUR this transfer window...revitalising there squad...without even having to appeal to cas for a suspension of the ban

Seems this is a new chapter for a club that once prided themselves on integrity
a transfer band is only fair if you have time to do two years worth of shopping before and then in the two years- with no outgoings- come back into line with f-fair-play :wink:

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

I think City have just secured the league with that signing.

Had them and Chelsea very close but to add a quality defender to go with the others they have I can't see it going anywhere else.

Phenomenal squad...hope they get it right in Europe this season too.
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

you're talking about mangala?

don't see it myself. that it being wrapped up & a guaranteed success.
for a few reasons - chiefly he's admitted he's not fully fit (which raises it's own questions about the wisdom of the signing) but also; he couldn't get in that france defence ahead of sackho and thirdly him (or his agent) had stated they'd prefer to move to chelsea earlier in the year??

now it might well turn out he is marcel desailly reincarnate but solely from the evidence i've seen it's a relatively questionable signing. i really don't know if he's a quality defender or not, but i do agree city needed more options in that department. i'd also question whether they really have a phenomenal squad in terms of talent, certainly in terms of depth they seem better equipped than most but there's still question marks over a lot of those players even tho they are league champions.

i really hope they fail in europe. i find them increasingly distasteful if i'm being totally honest. the goodwill they've somehow cultivated i find bizarre & unwelcome too. i don't think they get fair enough criticism for their conduct.

& i know it's a meaningless friendly but i was glad arsenal whopped them. city's lineup was atrocious just a bunch of big guys was glad to see the small skillful guys run rings around them. it probably won't tell over the season but fingers crossed it does..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was disappointed with the result v Arsenal, but not concerned. They dominated til the 1st goal, then after that they pretty much played on the counter (they did so well). Main difference was the 2 defenses, we were unlucky not to score. Our defense had 1 first choice in there, and Boyata. Whether Mangala get in the French squad doesn't bother me, that team is a shambles and has been for a while. Always has players that don't make the cut who deserve to, although he did pick up an injury in the warm up games and lost his spot? I thought so anyway. Sakho was always solid at PSG I thought, and I don't think he's ever really done a whole lot wrong for France what i have seen. Plenty of times players will stick in their national squad despite questionable form in their league.

Seen enough to reckon he is a decent player, not seen enough to think he warrants the price tag.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

jack white wrote:you're talking about mangala?

don't see it myself. that it being wrapped up & a guaranteed success.
for a few reasons - chiefly he's admitted he's not fully fit (which raises it's own questions about the wisdom of the signing) but also; he couldn't get in that france defence ahead of sackho and thirdly him (or his agent) had stated they'd prefer to move to chelsea earlier in the year??

now it might well turn out he is marcel desailly reincarnate but solely from the evidence i've seen it's a relatively questionable signing. i really don't know if he's a quality defender or not, but i do agree city needed more options in that department. i'd also question whether they really have a phenomenal squad in terms of talent, certainly in terms of depth they seem better equipped than most but there's still question marks over a lot of those players even tho they are league champions.

i really hope they fail in europe. i find them increasingly distasteful if i'm being totally honest. the goodwill they've somehow cultivated i find bizarre & unwelcome too. i don't think they get fair enough criticism for their conduct.

& i know it's a meaningless friendly but i was glad arsenal whopped them. city's lineup was atrocious just a bunch of big guys was glad to see the small skillful guys run rings around them. it probably won't tell over the season but fingers crossed it does..
I hear what you're saying Jack but I was looking at it in terms of competition.

Man City have strenghtened
up front - with Jovetic (allbeit not a new signing) looking lively
in the middle - with Fernando and Lampard
in nets - with Cabalerro
and at the back - with Sagna and now Mangala

In effect the spine of the team has been refreshed with a lot of hungry players.
Are the players brought in better than what is already there...probably not.
Will the players brought in have the mettle to do Monday nights at Stoke or wherever...probably yes?
They have recruited options to allow players rest for the Champions League and tougher League games I believe.

I think like Chelsea they have a strong physical squad...physicality should not be underestimated.

Arsenal...lovely to watch but I'm sure (like you seem to accept) that Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Sanchez, Gibbs, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberalin etc will be missing for chunks of the season such is the physicality of the Premier League
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

winning start for Rodríguez's real

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2014/08 ... P_MS_01_01

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:. Always has players that don't make the cut who deserve to, .
the king, for one

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Dr wrote:
James T wrote:. Always has players that don't make the cut who deserve to, .
the king, for one
:shock: Who knew Elvis was French? Or had such a high level of footballing skills?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Suarez ban upheld but allowed to train with FCB...

Seems about right...
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Good story on sky sports news about empty seats at the emirates. 170,000 arsenal fans bought tickets and didn't show over the course of last season. It does happen, yunno.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Good story on sky sports news about empty seats at the emirates. 170,000 arsenal fans bought tickets and didn't show over the course of last season. It does happen, yunno.
It was originally in the Telegraph earlier in the week.

Clubs have different policy on how they ,measure attendance. Some, like Liverpool, have always based it upon turnstile clicks, in the same way the Police do, i.e. people walking into the stadium. Others, most obviously Arsenal, City and Utd but presumably lots of others, do it based upon tickets sold, irrespective of whether the punters turn up or not.
Hence the Emirates reports 99.9% occupancy when there have been games where's there loads of up-turned seats - same with City.

The Premier League love it as it means they can trot out biggest league in the world stuff.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Another season of the EPL will commence shortly with the major clubs solidifying their lineup. From the pundits/analysts perspective they have either given the nod for either Chelsea or City for the title. Both these clubs have shored up their defenses. Again, I believe the title will be determined on the last day. Injuries and player performances will determine the outcome. Arsenal has definitely reloaded, but I still think they lack a good forward. Alexis Sanchez will do very well this season and they need Ozil to show up. Most people have Liverpool at fourth, I'm not sure they have done enough to convince me ? Filling Suarez is difficult at best, but Sturridge should have a fine season. Toad aka Vangaal will find out that the EPL is a different beast and won't make that much a splash as everyone anticipates. Didn't get enough quality players, especially defenders. Still the transfer window is open and someone might materialize ? Toad will place one slot higher than the Chosen One aka Moyes, but he'll get a reprieve for another season. So here are my predictions for this season :
1) ManCity
2) Chelsea
3) Arsenal
4) Everton
5) Liverpool
6) United

Turnstiles are the better indicator of true attendance. Cantona can sort you out on seat availability. Have anyone seen the latest photos on Gareth Bale ? My god, he bulked up tremendously. Tan, fit and muscular. CR7, Bale and company will destroy the LA Liga this season.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

I am really disappointed today - I expected more from Manchester United.We have a lot of injuries but that is no excuse.

We need some leaders and 3 or 4 new players.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I liked what one of the headlines stated, " different manager, same results. "

Welcome to the EPL, Toad !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Was really impressed with Southampton today, shame for them to lose like they did. Got to take chances though, they will be fine this season I reckon.

Top work from Dzeko to set up Silva in this game. Can tell we're lacking match fitness, but hopefully we can get another 1 or 2 in the second half to settle the start of season nerves. Big game v Liverpool next week, but I wasn't too worried about what I saw. Hard to judge the first month anyway though.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Was really impressed with Southampton today, shame for them to lose like they did. Got to take chances though, they will be fine this season I reckon.

Top work from Dzeko to set up Silva in this game. Can tell we're lacking match fitness, but hopefully we can get another 1 or 2 in the second half to settle the start of season nerves. Big game v Liverpool next week, but I wasn't too worried about what I saw. Hard to judge the first month anyway though.
Southampton were tremendous second half. Fair play to them, they've bossed us at Anfield twice in the past year - which bearing in mind we've won 15 from 17 of the other games, that's pretty impressive.
3 thoroughly undeserved points for us - second best for most of the game - but let's face it, in the early games it's all about getting through, we should improve significantly. A quick way of doing that is jettisoning Johnson as soon as possible and Allen is much better bet than Lucas.

Monday comes too soon for both teams, but we could do with getting a result with Spurs away immediately afterwards. We've been great at City past couple of years without winning, hopefully that will change.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

cantona wrote:I am really disappointed today - I expected more from Manchester United.We have a lot of injuries but that is no excuse.

We need some leaders and 3 or 4 new players.
Dont be too disappointed...expectation can be cruel.

Think about it for 22 years there has been little challenge to achieving a top four place
Arsenal were our only competitors until 2002, then Chelsea emerged and more recently Manchester City in 2011.
Added to that Liverpool, Totenham, Everton all performed better last season and we had a shit season.

Effectively there is no "guarantee" now where there probably was in the past.

2012-13 our team as we knew it effectively had it's last hurrah...
we should have been looking for Vidic/Ferdinand/Evra/Giggs/Scholes replacements much sooner and we shouldve seen that Cleverly/Kagawa/Anderson/Nani/Young were sub standard 12 months ago and not now...

Anyway hindsight is a great thing...

In the past when Man Utd were in a large transition period (2002-06) we were still in the "guarantee" years...those years are gone.
Management should have noticed that directly after 2010-11 season the emergence of Manchester City effectively put the squeeze on the top 3...they didn't...commercial deals whilst important sadly took the eye off the team.
Management made some odd procurement choices; surely there was a Phil Jones and Ashley Young type in the U21's!!
Similarly at the end of the 2011-12 season we didn't enhance/improve have any succession plan for an older/less hungry/injury prone backbone of the team...we bought "flair".
Add to that a certain Moyes signing (and even the players he thinks we tried to buy!!!)...moon man!
Where the team is now should be expected.

At least I think Liberace sees this...listen carefully to what he sais...."he needs more time to impart his philosophy"...bollocks he means he must wait until January to sign a vital piece of the jigsaw...Strootmann.
Sure one single player does not make a team but a heartbeat can.
He also notes that there are many "number 10's" at the club. How many 10's can be accomodated in the first team? One is the answer so Kagawa, Januzaj and Mata are unlikely to be on the field at any one time.

This is all extremely sensible stuff...look at the teams Chelsea and Man City build...solid teams...yes they have the odd flair player Oscar and Silva and some very technically gifted players but they tend not to field 3 similar individuals who are going to "try" things and hope they come off.

Anyway, i'm excited by this season to see how the squad is developed.
No expectations for immediate return to anything resembling success but laying foundations for future years.
Building a nucleus overlooked for years...Herrera, Rojo and Shaw are all bright prospects add to that the bubblin under Reece James, Tyler Blackett, Will Keane, James Wilson...feel we are one or two signings away from something solid. Still feel we need an experienced centre half NOW but this becoming unlikely...

And after this season; management must never again make the mistake of resting on there laurels
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No dynasty last forever ... ask Liverpool that. I'd admit, the Ferguson era was a one of a kind. He was there at the right time and place, but more importantly his managerial skills and getting the best out of each player, as well as the ' class of 92 ' certainly didn't hurt and had a tremendous impact. That era is gone and don't look to be duplicated anytime soon. The EPL is stronger now than in most years with foreign ownership of City and Liverpool. City has a good management team that came from Barca. Liverpool has John Henry from the Boston Red Sox who built them up into champions. Arsenal recently paid off their debt to their new stadium ( took 10 years ) and now they are able reload and they did with some very significant signings this past summer, as well Liverpool is trying to replace Suarez and a bit of a reach with Balotelli which I think is a bad choice. This is Mouhrino's second season back with Chelsea and he is molding the team into his vision, adding/deleting players that he wants and ' fits into his system. ' Solid team with an already good defense that will challenge City for the title.

Already a lot of top int'l players have spurned United i.e. - Thomas Muller, Toni Kroos for example. United offered these players gobs of money, but they rather stay where their at !

The reasons to spurn United include :

1) no Champions League play - very important to a lot of players.
2) Premiere League is more physical than other leagues i.e. - La Liga, Bundesliga, et al.
3) weather - why play in England when you can play in sunny Spain for Madrid or Barca ?
4) new management/manager (Woodward/Toad), some players have heard rumours about him and may not want to play for him, as well the club may not get back to their status during the Ferguson era.
5) stiffer competititon from City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and no guarantee of a championship or Champions League
play in the future ?

United will place 6th this year in the standings. As well they will lose to Sunderland this weekend. 8)
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

The biggest problem for Manchester United is the Glazer family.They only think about how much money they can get out of Manchester United.They are good at attracting commercial firms but the money are going in their own pockets.

The decline started in my eyes already in 2009 when we got rid of Ronaldo and Tevez, which I understand was inevitable.United started to sell off its major stars and brought in mediocre players.

When Moyes took over we had a pure rotten stall only Sir Alex could have won the league with. I do not disagree that Moyes was fired, the task was too great and even though the stable was bad, he did the worst of it. But the point is that the squad he took over was poor. Players like Fellaini,Bebe, Cleverly, Anderson, Nani, Young and more are all bad for a team with United's ambitions. When Moyes besides buying players for enormous sums in positions not needed reinforcements goes wrong. After the season we were left with a stall where the distribution of quality was very uneven. With Sir Alex we lost the long-term thinking, and when Moyes was desperate he acted in sheer panic.

Yes there are many "number 10's" at the club Kagawa,Rooney,Mata and Januzaj - but play Mata as 10" and Rooney as 9"and Januzaj as winger and sell Kagawa.

But how do we solve it? In my opinion, Van Gaal a step in the right direction again and I'm very optimistic about hiring him.He needs time. But what else? Yes, we must reinforce the squad It is obvious that we need reinforcements.Okay it is difficult to obtain stars. But it must be possible to get players that are better than what we have today.

If we really get Di Maria i think it is a great signing but we still need a central midfielder and a experienced centre half preferably with leadership experience.But in the long term it is our own players we must build on.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yes, I agree that the Glazer family is really after profit. I, mean really are they really big football and/or United fans in the beginning when they bought the club ? United is one of the biggest sport franchises in the world ( that encompasses all sports i.e. - basketball, american football, baseball, etc ). How often do they go to a home match ? Also, they bought the club when it was and still laden with debt, however they have trimmed this down with very lucrative endorsements i.e. - Chevrolet and Adidas ( which will kick in next season ). They have already spent 120 million pounds and may not want to shell out for more expensive players ? I know that Angel di Maria might move there. For example Abramovich (owner of Chelsea) is a big supporter and you'll see him in every or most home matches and has put money in the club where needed.

Before the season started and United did their friendlies in the States and they won all of their matches the headlines were " United is back ! " ** yawn *** These were friendlies and stupid journalists took to that to heart. Never heard really anything from Toad until they lost to Swansea. " Oh, United will be my last managerial post and then I'll retire. " " I'm not hired to be fired " and " I'll need at least 3 years to be competitive ", et al ... Yes, he was successful at Barca and Bayern Munich. Who can compete with Bayern ? They are a powerhouse that has BVB chasing their tail when they are not poaching all their best players i.e. - Lewandowski, Goetze and possibly Reus ? He came into Barca when they are a powerhouse and all the right players. Who can compete with Barca and Real ? Athletico Madrid whom I think Diego Simeone is doing a terrific job with the players and salary that he has. Toad is in the EPL where their is not a powerhouse that can win it easily. It'll come down to City, Chelsea, Arsenal and perhaps Liverpool ? Everyone of these clubs has reloaded with players and those glory days of finishing the league 9 points clear are certainly over with. Again, I think the title will be determined on the last day. Yes, it is that competitive !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Point at Sunderland isn't a disaster for united. City never win there either.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Before the Glazer family bought Manchester United, the club was more or less debt free. But the family had to borrow money to finance the purchase, and the money should the club pay.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

@cantona

I don't really follow the Di Maria link...if you think a little on what LVG sais...in that he also "likes Messi and Vidal" you begin to question if he understands the potential signing either.

Di Maria is maybe what we need in 12months but not at the minute.

It's a commercial signing...if it happens...I mean minus Rooney and RVP we are not particularly blessed with globally identifiable names.

I've never knocked the Glazers; sure they've leveraged the club but they have always been open to investment in the squad and it is not Man Utd tradition to buy a team anyway.
I'm very concerned by the decision making and comments of Ed Woodward however...he strikes me as being naive...perhaps we were just blessed with having Gill before.

@jamest

Agree with you about the draw at Sunderland...at this stage and with 8 first team injured...a draw was good. Not good enough but acceptable.

I see the next two games as a potential to invoke a winning mentality...we must have a convincing cup run and see out a first league win on Saturday.
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Good, that.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nice win tonight, Jovetic played well. Aguero's goal was like 15 seconds after being substituted in, incredible.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
Di Maria is maybe what we need in 12months but not at the minute.

It's a commercial signing...if it happens...I mean minus Rooney and RVP we are not particularly blessed with globally identifiable names.
As if by magic the share price increased overnight to a monthly high

And good job Man City...making work a bearable place today :)
Shoulders back, smash it
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote: I've never knocked the Glazers; sure they've leveraged the club but they have always been open to investment in the squad and it is not Man Utd tradition to buy a team anyway.
Strange comment. Utd have broken the British transfer record multiple times - Robson, Pallister, Keane, Cole, Ferdinand, Veron, Di Maria - would have been more if they'd secured Shearer. Plus they are currently in the midts of spending some £250m in past 12 months?
In fact, it's the relative absence of investment (precisely due to the Glazer's that you are defending) in past few years that is the exception to the norm - and has helped to leave Utd in this delicious situation.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Milton Keynes Dons ! Moyes didn't even start out this bad and now he looks like a genius. A 120 million pounds doesn't buy much these days ... :oops:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Interesting Champions League draw style again. There were 3 groups left; Madrid, Atletico, Bayern... They said City could only be drawn with Bayern? This is down to TV rights and stuff? Liverpool can then be drawn in the Madrid group, and subsequently some easier ties...Confusing... We should still make it through, unlucky to end up with Roma! We should be fine at home. We've had Bayern 3 times in 4 years because of their unusual methods beyond the seeding. Drew at home one year, beat them away last year. Could win the group, could end up third. Should be an interesting group.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Interesting Champions League draw style again. There were 3 groups left; Madrid, Atletico, Bayern... They said City could only be drawn with Bayern? This is down to TV rights and stuff? Liverpool can then be drawn in the Madrid group, and subsequently some easier ties...Confusing... We should still make it through, unlucky to end up with Roma! We should be fine at home. We've had Bayern 3 times in 4 years because of their unusual methods beyond the seeding. Drew at home one year, beat them away last year. Could win the group, could end up third. Should be an interesting group.
City get their customary easy draw :D
Seriously - pretty tough that I would think, Roma the one to avoid for various reasons - i.e. they are a capable side, and second as it is a nasty, nasty away trip.
Have to happy with Liverpool's draw - Basel have done lots of damage in previous years (including to us), but we'd hope to have a good chance to get through.
Didn't see the actual draw, but it must get very convoluted as they have to make sure that clubs from same country aren't drawn together.
Chelsea get their customary bye to Round 2.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was really hoping for a trip to Anderlecht seen as I'm over there regularly anyway, but i'm gonna give all these away games a miss. Bayern is a pain in the arse to get tickets for and flights go crazy, Rome is best avoided for away games, and Moscow is a no no.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not good enough from city, no plan B. I wouldn't play Aguero and Jovetic together in a game like that, they like to play outside the box and we needed some bodies in the area. Nasri was ineffective and I would expect that against a side like Stoke, would've preferred Milner today. We did absolutely hammer them, but we didn't get the luck we needed and they got a goal on the break (ridiculous one to concede).

Was disappointed that we played so narrow today, with Kolarov and Sagna we should be using the wings more. Dzeko in the middle livened us up a bit but couldn't get the goal. Brought Navas on and continued to play narrow meaning he couldn't impact on the game, ridiculous!

Hope the Fernando injury isn't serious, he was solid again until that. Wouldn't have lost this game if he stayed on the pitch.

Also have to comment about the Stoke fans. Now, I'm not one to have a go at opposition fans behaviour, but they're really awful them lot. Was the same back at Wembley a few years ago. Causing trouble after the game all the way from the stadium to the city, singing questionable songs about arabs and rape.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Bwhahahaha :lol:

City fans should feel grateful to be witness to such a great goal. Those in the stadium were privileged to be there.
In what was an otherwise insipid & uninspiring game.
The notion jovetic/kun (or whoever/a.n. other) can't play together doesn't wash. If you put the effort in good players will gel. The prob was neither kun nor jovetic wanted to run around much.
City's best players were complacent today, shirked responsibility & got punished for it.

Joe hart tho. Don't even hate to say I told you so..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Introducing myself to this thread as a life long Burnley fan.

Not a big fan - certainly not a football fanatic. I find that i love going to games but outside that I'm not full on. I don't particularly enjoy watching football on the telly or reading about it... but on those days when you're going to the match - your whole day is focused on that and i really enjoy everything about it- except the price!

I've probably seen Burnley at least once a season since in was about 6 or 7. Many big games. about 15 years ago i stepped it up a bit and went to every fixture in striking distance for a couple of seasons.

First points of the Premiership season via Manchester United. Deja vu! Happy days!

It was really weird the other day hearing a radio report about Premiership sides being knocked out of the league cup and Burnley were listed. Hang on a minute - don't WE normally knock out Prem sides?

I worked for a local Premiership club for a while (2001) - corporate hospitality and all that. Hated it! I would make a point of bringing in prawn baguettes for my lunch. When i found out that the restaurant in the ground which was open everyday but seldom had any customers actually served prawn sandwiches i took to ordering them.

cheers!
Heavy Tourism
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

jack white wrote:Bwhahahaha :lol:

City fans should feel grateful to be witness to such a great goal. Those in the stadium were privileged to be there.
In what was an otherwise insipid & uninspiring game.
The notion jovetic/kun (or whoever/a.n. other) can't play together doesn't wash. If you put the effort in good players will gel. The prob was neither kun nor jovetic wanted to run around much.
City's best players were complacent today, shirked responsibility & got punished for it.

Joe hart tho. Don't even hate to say I told you so..
I never said they can't play together, I said we needed a different type of striker on for this type of game (Dzeko). Stoke always put in a good showing against the top sides, they beat Chelsea last year, will perhaps beat some more big sides this year. We dominated the game first half, and were unlucky not to score. VERY poor in the second half until the last 10 minutes.

Anyways, Aguero and Jovetic in particular put a lot of work in and came really deep to get the ball and make challenges. They just couldn't impact the game where we really needed it because their was no space. To say we were complacent is a disservice to Stoke, they defended perfectly for the occasion. We had 73% possession, 10 shots more than stoke, 11 corners, hit the bar, and begovic also pulled off a great save. Another day we could've been 2 up before they had their first chance (the goal). I didn't mention the penalty call being turned down earlier because I thought yaya had dived, but seeing it on MOTD closer just now I think it was a penalty and they thought so too. We had little luck, and didn't have a plan B. We always struggle with these 10 men behind the ball teams, and it will continue i'm sure. We played better today than we did against them at home last year, and perhaps we were lucky to win that 1-0 thanks to Dzeko.

I blame Kolarov more than Hart for the goal, and I have no worries about him in the goal. Watch the other keepers every game as much as you watch out for him, you will see that he is one of the best in the league (though perhaps overrated a little like most england international players).

Really nice for united to have something to take the emphasis of their shower of shit performance this week.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

KingHarry wrote:
Stuart X.Hunter wrote: I've never knocked the Glazers; sure they've leveraged the club but they have always been open to investment in the squad and it is not Man Utd tradition to buy a team anyway.
Strange comment. Utd have broken the British transfer record multiple times - Robson, Pallister, Keane, Cole, Ferdinand, Veron, Di Maria - would have been more if they'd secured Shearer. Plus they are currently in the midts of spending some £250m in past 12 months?
In fact, it's the relative absence of investment (precisely due to the Glazer's that you are defending) in past few years that is the exception to the norm - and has helped to leave Utd in this delicious situation.
Oh FFS
Do you agree there's a premium on English club to English club transfers...yes? *6 English players (incl Shearer) in the above list
And if one of the wealthiest clubs in the world came to your club for your player would you allow them to leave for a fair price or would you squeeze every last penny out of the pursuant club?
Could that be a factor as to why British transfer records have been broken multiple times?

The absence of investment is more down to the frugality and philosophy on home grown (or club reared) players of SAF and the uninspiring appointment of Moyes than the Glazers i'm afraid...remember the owners aren't football people

Delicious... :wink:

De Gea
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Blind
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Falcao Rooney
Shoulders back, smash it
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
KingHarry wrote:
Oh FFS
Do you agree there's a premium on English club to English club transfers...yes? *6 English players (incl Shearer) in the above list
And if one of the wealthiest clubs in the world came to your club for your player would you allow them to leave for a fair price or would you squeeze every last penny out of the pursuant club?
Could that be a factor as to why British transfer records have been broken multiple times?

The absence of investment is more down to the frugality and philosophy on home grown (or club reared) players of SAF and the uninspiring appointment of Moyes than the Glazers i'm afraid...remember the owners aren't football people
I've no idea what point you're trying to make.
Your original post said that Utd have no tradition of buying a team. It's the kind of stuff Ferguson started to routinely trot out when Chelsea and City started to spend mountains of cash - as if Utd were some heroic frugal David set against these horrid Goliaths. Courageously trying to build football dynasties with a wide-eyed combination of vim and magic beans.
Clearly it's complete bollocks and Utd have always traditionally had the biggest wallet, particularly since 1992, and have been able to pay the biggest fees. They have always been than willing to do so, resulting in them breaking the transfer record multiple times (no idea why your talking about British premiums at that point, that concept didn't exist at the time).

The standard narrative is that Utd rear youngsters through the ranks, or buy young talent cheap and develop them.
On the first point, obviously there is the generation of Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles, Butt, Beckham - but that happened 20 years ago. I'm thinking off the top of my head, but can't think of anyone who has come through since then and stuck, apart from Welbeck who was hardly central to any plans, or good.
And as for buying talent cheap, I'm sure there are examples, but Rooney and Ronaldo cost £40m, so hardly uncovered for peanuts. So I'm thinking of them, and other delicate youngsters like £30m vPersie, Stam, vNistelroy, Carrick, Yorke.

Not sure what to make of the current splurge - looks like frantic cash pissing, but could possibly work.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So the FFP money which was fined from City, PSG. a few others... goes to the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea to share between them? Seems a bit daft to me, why not share the money among clubs struggling to afford to develop their grounds so they're fit for European games, help discount costs for fans, charity, something useful? The idea of chelsea getting some of the money is crazy most of all!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

@ King Harry

...the point i was trying to make was that there has always been a nucleus of Academy players promoted to the first team squad.
Academy players make up ~45% of the first team squad currently (not counting loaned out like Cleverly, Keane or Powell or straight to first team guys like Rooney, Jones etc).
Granted this will have fluctuated over the existence of the EPL however there has always been a philosphy on having a nucleus of players who come through the ranks. Regardless of wether they establish themselves as regular first XI players.

Off the top of my head the following ex MUFC Academy players are all playing (when not injured!) at a decent level;
Phil Bardsley, Wes Brown, Frazier Campbell, Darron Gibson, Ryan Shawcross, John Spector, Guiseppe Rossi, Kieran Richardson, John Spector, Paul Pogba, John O'Shea

...I accept that Man Utd have broken British transfer records (but not not under the Glazer ownership until a few weeks ago) and have spent large sums of money frequently however i think only taking the spending in isolation without accepting the nucleus of players who have come through the ranks and are given opportunity would allow for the standard narrative hypothesis to ring true.

...lastly I am not a fan of the type of players brought in prior to the transfer window closing.
Blind I am happy with we need a bit of versatility in front of the defence, Di Maria I'm happy with but felt we couldve waited until January (granted potentially not available) or August for and Falcao i'm not convinced by...any player who opts for Ligue 1 and playing in front of 3000 fans at home when there were other more challenging options available should be viewed with great consideration.

Is what it is though...
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, that doesn't make sense giving the penalty money for breaking the FFP to Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool ? It should have been split up between all the First Division Clubs, I think. Some compelling matches this week : City v. Arsenal and Swansea v. Chelsea. City will have a tough remaining September schedule in domestic and Champions league play.

United started off with no wins to start the season and splashed on a number of players that reek of desperation. All were added in a hurry ( about a week or so ) : Rojo, Falcao, Di Maria and Blind. We'll see ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And this is the kind of shit UEFA make you put up with for champions league games, hence more empty seats.

"East Stand Level 1 – Block 105.

Rows R, S, T and U are required to accommodate the UEFA Champions Club in the Commonwealth.

Colin Bell Stand Level 1 – Block 126.

UEFA requirement for an expanded technical area around the home and away dugouts.

Colin Bell Stand Level 2 – Block 223.

UEFA requirement for the Club to provide an allocation of ‘First Class’ seating to the Visiting Club, located between the 16m lines. A small number of seats are also held in block 222 for segregation and safety.

Colin Bell Stand Level 3 – Block 326.

Rows A to P; UEFA requirement for an expanded television and media commentary area.

East Stand Level 2 – Blocks 204, 206 and 207.

UEFA requirement for the Club to provide an allocation of ‘First Class’ seats to UEFA and UEFA Champions League Partners."
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Mignolet is just lucky the other keeper was more stupid than him.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Mignolet is just lucky the other keeper was more stupid than him.
He's a complete liability - Valdes can't arrive soon enough (if that is indeed going to happen). Mignolet = Dudek V2. Arrived, looked classy and solid ... and then starts to unravel. He's not vocal, doesn't come close to dominating his box, flaps at crosses, distribution is so-so, is meant to be a great shot stopper but stats don't actually support this, and he's clearly completely fucking thick.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sickener that. Absolute stone wall penalty on silva just before they scored. They slaughtered us for the last thirty minutes, but I feel we deserved more. Had we of got the penalty we were due, we could've won for sure. I don't like to go on about missed penalty opportunities, bit that is a huge game to miss out on such an obvious one,
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Already feel lame for posting that but I'm well annoyed!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Missed the Liverpool game cause my internet wasn't working, but it doesn't look like good times for them. Also, city really need to win that game v Chelsea tomorrow or else we're in a similarly uncomfortable position. Early days, but it's not the best start. If we beat Chelsea, we will have taken probably the right amount of points from our fixtures, with the loss at stoke having been made up for perhaps by 2 victories out of Liverpool and Chelsea, and a draw away at arsenal. It's been tough opening to the season for us.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Dzeko needs to play tomorrow. I hope Jovetic's season is not like last year ( riddled with injuries ) down to (3) forwards. We may get David Silva to postpone his season in the NYFC ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm not sure what you mean about David Silva, he is nothing to do with NYFC? They bought David Villa, and he is playing in Australia for a while. Silva is way above MLS right now.

Dzeko might be injured, he hurt his back in Munich.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

For some reason I always get Silva and Villa confused ? D.Villa still has a lot football in him (he's only 32) and I always wondered why he left Athletico. Villa will join NYCFC in March, I think that is when MLS start their season. I can see him playing a similar role like Lampard at City, perhaps ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

He can't come to us, he's registered with Melbourne City now. I don't really like the multiple team thing they have going on, but it's useful for the MLS players to keep fit at top facilities during off-season.

Villa was a top player, but he looks past his best by a long way to me.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hope there's no empty seats in the United section, would be a shame for them to miss this.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

180 million pounds don't buy much these days.

Moyes is looking like a genius now, considering what he had to work with last season. He didn't have Angel di Maria, Hererra, Falcao, Rojo, Blind.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Man U's form is the only plus in a diabolical start to the season for us. I feared we'd be proven to be one season wonders and it certainly looks that way at the moment. Not looking forward to Everton's visit next week.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Superb game from city in this first half, but I can't help but be annoyed that for the 4th game in a row we have had a penalty ignored. Even the studio pundits have said the same, it was certain. Then, the ref gives a corner. Costa never even touched it! It's a penalty or a goal kick and a yellow for Dzeko. Standard of refereeing continues to go downhill. Like that penalty that Leicester got earlier, it was a ridiculous decision!

I worry in this match because we don't really look like scoring despite dominating pretty much the whole half. Looks like it could be from a set piece if we do score. Mangala has been immense, his pace getting back and coming across is something we have missed despite demichelis having a good year.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Got less than we deserved but what a performance, along with the performance at Arsenal last week, i am not too worried. Shame we couldn't win either of them, but we were so unlucky today. Stupid challenge from Zabaleta which got him the second yellow, but his first was never a booking so I guess that was unfortunate. Going a man and a goal down vs the favourites for the title, and we still controlled the game and got the goal to prevent them extending their lead.

Need to press on now and pick up some wins, we've improved on our points total vs Chelsea last year already, just the Stoke game which really let us down (even then, we controlled that game but couldn't get the goal).

Frank Lampard eh! Could've had 3 goals...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

3pts. would have been nice, but I'd settle with a draw against Chelsea. Their still the clipub to beat. Nice revenge by Lampard.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So it looks like the FFP bosses are after Liverpool now? Not sure I think anything will happen with it; but with the Suarez money not included in this set of accounts, it seems plausible they could be in bother after losses in the past couple of years.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The way both defences are playing at the moment I think we might see a 5-5 at Anfield on Saturday.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not a bad 7-0 win for city there against a side who have lost only once this season previously, and have had a good defensive record also. Not a top class side, but look like they could challenge for the playoffs to get into the premier league. Awful first half for us, very surprised to score 7 in the second half.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

my team were excellent. 3-1 down to united at half time and brilliantly come back to win 5-3, not bad for a newly promoted club playing the record holders of premier leagues but what do people (van gal inc) say? 'o they were crap and got lucky'. i hate this big club good/bad mentality. credit where creidt is due