Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

James T
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by James T »

I don't think it was luck, Leicester player GREAT. One thing I would say is though, no team should go 3-1 up and collapse like they did. All credit to Leicester, apart from the stupid penalty.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Forza Roma!

edit: oh ffs! :lol:

edit #2: yea! the great man does it! thumbsucking time 8)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sorry to reopen old wounds, but i just can't let it pass: i felt city fans showed a distinct lack of class & grace tonight.
(tho by the same token, how many other clubs fans actually do exhibit such qualities? - except for nice guys like me of course..).

i'm talking of course of their reluctance to honour totti with a standing ovation.

maybe they just didn't realise they were in the presence of genius, one of the genuinely greatest footballers of all time. maybe it was born more out of ignorance than jealously. it doesn't excuse it tho.

i still thought it was particularly remiss & curmudgeonly not to mark the occasion of possibly the last (only?) time he'd grace the city of manchester stadium with his gifts. you don't get to appreciate players of the quality totti is made of every week, you should make a point of acknowledging his brilliance.

so it goes..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't find it all that in what many considered a must win game, they didn't stand and applaud a guy who had just equalized. No pdu hurled abuse at him, some people clap, some people do not. Besides, half of the ground is filled with uefa invitees, the lower tiers were hardly even available to buy, then the invitees don't show up or show little interest.

I'm sure Totti will cope, he has done thinks which show a lack of class in the past.

On another subject, city were truly pathetic yesterday. Toure needs a few games rest when fernando is back and fit, milner should've started, jovetic should've been brought on instead of lampard earlier in the second half, kolarov should've started. I think pellegrini repeatedly made bad decisions for last nights game, along with a couple of players who didn't perform. I give no credit to Roma for this game either, no credit to either side, really poor match. Roma dos have a 20 minute period where they controlled, but so did we, both made an awful time of it.

I haven't been so disappointed after a game for a while, at the team anyhow
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

when i saw city lineup in a 442 i have to admit it i did raise an eyebrow, esp w/navas starting.
& i mean then i was like, well fuck it, fair play to pellegrini he's showing some balls w/that approach - & arrogance & belief in yaya/fernandinho to combat that roma mf (sans di rossi & strootman, two of their best players, but yet their mf remained formidable, real quality amassed under rudy garcia).
i appreciated citys approach to a certain degree. but as so often the case the ballsy decision proved to be incorrect. after about 6mins it was clear they were in a bit of trouble.

big difference sending out an unbalanced 442 in the epl & sending it out in the champs league. 433 is the only option really, tho pellegrini could maybe make the case he is hampered by injuries..

re totti
the point isn't that he scored (which shouldn't preclude admiration for that sumptuous finish - & do give me hart's slip, you make your own luck & roma made theirs & got their rewards). - even if he'd had an off night, he still deserves acknowledgement for his massive contribution to the game.

James T wrote:. I give no credit to Roma for this game either, no credit to either side, really poor match. Roma dos have a 20 minute period where they controlled, but so did we, both made an awful time of it.

wat. it was a really good game. roma were frankly terrific & p much controlled the tempo of the entire game. keita & nianggolan were supreme in midfield, a perfect example. no credit? smdh.. goddamn their passing & movement was brilliant, they defended astutely. don't know what game you were watching, it was really good fare.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Keita could've been booked about 15 times over, he did ok but he just clattered the city players every chance he got. When Roma were on top, they never made me get up out of my seat or worry too much,. The goal was just really poor on our part in terms of defensive positioning and some bad luck for Hart. the way Roma finished the game, sitting back for 20 minutes that deep, annoyed me. They were playing good, go for it. Really lame way to end the game on their part, and a terrible way to play for us after that 3rd minute goal, sitting back on that lead was ridiculous.

2 teams scared to lose yesterday for the most part, and most of the best bits were down to poor play front the opposition rather than anything out of the ordinary from the side doing it.

I'm curious as to why that wasn't a red card for Maicon, but we've seen this time and again in the UCL, they like to avoid big decisions where possible in the early minutes. Couldn't avoid the penalty, but bottled it with the card. Another hand ball later in the game too. Decisions may have cost us int he game, but we barely deserved a point anyway so I'm not gonna moan.

No balls.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I think James calls this game about right.

City were geared up to get a lead and try and see it out. Roma arrived with the intention of not losing.

Toure is getting stick all over the place today but a moment to mark Roma tactics rather than criticise a player who appears a bit down in the dumps.
Roma tactic appeared to be to draw one of Fernandinho or Toure out and then get the ball wide such was the lack of cover provided by Silva & Navas. In other words Roma wanted to stretch the Central players...it almost paid off with Maicon hitting the bar, did pay off with Totti goal and nearly with Gervinho.

City looked lacklustre but so would you be if you were being fouled at the onset of every attack. I still think City lack a little flair/drive in the middle of the park and no wonder the continual links with Barkley but they do seem to be needing someone of that ilk Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain

Heard a stat this morning n shook my head; both teams started with the same number of English players on the park.

Tough next match against CSKA and could be played behind closed doors.
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Lack of English players isn't great but it isn't surprising. How often do we hear about top English players failing to perform at the top level, even ones who play regularly. Plus, look how much it costs to buy an English prospect, we aren't allowed to spend so much right now, especially on unproven English prospects.

On a happier note, out under 19s side have won both of their champions league games so far, putting 6 past Bayern in one of those. Planning for the future, hope some of them keep that mentality and build on their promise.

Toure was really poor apart from near the end, hasn't been as bad as some have made out recently though. Just needs a bit of pressure off and rest perhaps, to get himself back in order.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

@James T

I get what you're saying James but c'mon how long Mansour' been there and they always bet on foreign.

Anyway it's part of the "no risk/must win" philosophy...I'd just love to see something in that team with youth and verve when the regular has dull days. I'm sure you would too.
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Of course I understand people look at us and say we haven't invested enough in English talent, but since the takeover we HAVE spent big on a fair few English players, but some of them just didn't make the cut.

Milner, Lescott, Barry, Rodwell, Sinclair, Johnson, and Wright-Phillips came back too. All English players and 3 of whom have been very important for us. Hart has kept his place, Richards was unlucky to get an injury which led to Zabaleta showing his class (and the fact he was a better player). The season we first won the premier league, Richards played more than Zabaleta, even then he didn't get in the England squad and he was by far the best English right back that year.

We even gave bloody Hargreaves a chance. Shame he ended up how he did, what a player he was in his younger years!

Michael Johnson got a lot of chances in the side but then couldn't get fit and ended up 17 stone heavy.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

My god, Joe Hart was incredible today, rarely see that kind of performance in a league game these days for any side. Unbelievable. The scoreline is hash on spurs perhaps, with even Lloris playing well despite conceding 4. It was one of the best games I have seen in a long time, real end-to-end stuff. Aguero and Hart left me completely in awe. Fantastic. One of Hart's top 3 performances for us (others begin spurs away a few seasons back and dortmund at home a couple of years ago), hope he can really crack on and string some of those games together now, cause he was outstanding, even their goal he did really well for and was unlucky to concede.

Love Fernando so far but he was dreadful today, midfield in general looked a bit off the pace.

Southampton won 8-0 eh? Brilliant!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

scoreline wasn't harsh on spurs, their defending was inept.
hart had a good game, did his job well. had obv done his homework on soldado's spot kicks, made it look easy. good day at the office for hart, first in a while.

on the subject of city - & the joke about how it won't make a difference to them that the cska game will be behind closed doors (they won't notice the difference no fans being there)..
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/buy-one ... ch-2027060

as for southampton/sunderland. i would like to say it couldn't happen to a nicer club but that wouldn't be true - e.g. it'd have been nicer had it happened to newcastle. but it was still good to see the sunderland players & their manager exposed for what they are. koeman looked like the proverbial cat who got the cream tho. wonderful, wonderful og. a timeless quality to it. dreamlike you could say.
felt a bit bad for the sunderland fans tho, spending that time & money on that shower you can't help but empathise & sympathise. the world's deeply unfair when the likes of vergini are drawing wages for that kinda behaviour while the fans are the one's who suffer ultimately.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just WTF were the Liverpool and QPR defenders putting in their half-time tea? Liverpool's central defence was typically crap under the high ball and from set pieces in general. What was more surprising was QPR reenacting several episodes of the Laurel and Hardy show using only Dunne and Caulker and absolutely no brain cells whatsoever. I believe that is double figures for own goals for the Honey Monster........ :shock:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

First good game for Hart in a while? Did you see the Bayern game? The Chelsea game he did well also.......

Edited this post cause I don't want an empty seats debate it's pointless and uninteresting for everyone.
Last edited by James T on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

olan wrote:Just WTF were the Liverpool and QPR defenders putting in their half-time tea? Liverpool's central defence was typically crap under the high ball and from set pieces in general. What was more surprising was QPR reenacting several episodes of the Laurel and Hardy show using only Dunne and Caulker and absolutely no brain cells whatsoever. I believe that is double figures for own goals for the Honey Monster........ :shock:

Richard Dunne is in the premier league's top goalscorers vs City, just from own goals he scored whilst playing for us.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

What a ridiculous match today.
So much fun to watch not having a horse in that race.
Great week to transfer out Dzeko and Aguero in. Yay me.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:
olan wrote:Just WTF were the Liverpool and QPR defenders putting in their half-time tea? Liverpool's central defence was typically crap under the high ball and from set pieces in general. What was more surprising was QPR reenacting several episodes of the Laurel and Hardy show using only Dunne and Caulker and absolutely no brain cells whatsoever. I believe that is double figures for own goals for the Honey Monster........ :shock:

Richard Dunne is in the premier league's top goalscorers vs City, just from own goals he scored whilst playing for us.
That is the best football stat/fact I've heard in yonks... :lol:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

United will get better no doubt, but if it isn't in the next few games they are in some trouble again. Only 1 point off the top 4 as it stands though, and doing a better job than Arsenal so far. Pretty crappy tonight though, but dominated the last 30 minutes. I really think Daley Blind is shite, the goal has saved him a little tonight cause he was poor.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

west brom are a weird one tho. you're kinda waiting for it all to collapse but they keep on plugging away, kinda punching above their weight.
except utd, obv, aren't above their weight presently.

daley blind is a weird one too. still unconvinced by him. he's like an unconvincing left footed paul warhurst.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

A couple of years back when city played Ajax, I spoke to a group of their fans about the team and they all said he was one of the weaker players for them that season, and that he only made it at the club thanks to his dad. I think he has come along since then, but not above the level of the Europa league (even though Ajax did manage to do us that year!).
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Lucky to get that one pt.at the end. They have to be road warriors against their next two opponents : Chelsea and City. Let's see how they fare ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

To be honest, these games are exactly what United need now. Still in touch with the top 4 and a great chance to show what they can do against Chelsea, City, and Arsenal. Not saying they WILL do well, but one good result could spur them on for the others.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Before I left, the score was 2-0 City during the 1st half. Couldn't believe the final score. Doesn't bode well in their
grouping w/ Bayern and Roma ahead of them. In fact, it was to City's advantage ( I believe it was a closed match due to a racial incident or whatever in the past w/ CSKA Moscow) ? It was a must win for City. :shock:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:To be honest, these games are exactly what United need now. Still in touch with the top 4 and a great chance to show what they can do against Chelsea, City, and Arsenal. Not saying they WILL do well, but one good result could spur them on for the others.
On the other hand they are only 1 point better off at this stage than they were under Moyes and his side had played most of the contenders by this time last year, which is a really thin return for a shedload of cash considering who United have played so far this year. Di Maria looks like a phenomenal player, but after that I'm unconvinced,and Mata in particular looks lost. This is a shame as Mata can be wonderful and for a couple of years was pretty much the only reason you would want to watch Chelsea unless you were Chelsea.

This year United look OK going forward, but when their opponents put United's central midfield and central defence under pressure, particularly with pace and movement, they tend to fold (which is not to say they are solid against the long ball). To a certain extent this is why Uniteds full-backs look useless, they are covering infield to bolster the soft spine, which leaves space for runners behind the full backs (see both WBA goals). Last year Moyes got poor support in making signings (and in his defence Fellani looked immense for a while last night- a bargain at £28m*) while this year LVG has spent a bucket and ended up with half a team and little sign of progress thus far.

*A bargain for Everton that is. Only beaten by the £6m we got from WBA for Ainchebe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spacemanrich wrote:Before I left, the score was 2-0 City during the 1st half. Couldn't believe the final score. Doesn't bode well in their
grouping w/ Bayern and Roma ahead of them. In fact, it was to City's advantage ( I believe it was a closed match due to a racial incident or whatever in the past w/ CSKA Moscow) ? It was a must win for City. :shock:
yea that was brilliant.

tho it looks like roma/ashley cole are going to let city off the hook this evening. robben unfortunately doing the business. let's home roma can rescue something.. prob be best if they traded wins to eliminate city but at least get a draw please roma!
ah fuck goetze's just made it 2-0. blah.
edit: fuck, 3-0! ha!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not sure where my post after the game went?? Anyway, disgraceful result. How did we not get a penalty for Dzeko at 2-0 though???? Won't even get started on the penalty for them, cause we were pathetic in the second half. If bayern beat roma twice and we beat moscow at home we could still do it. Bayern will have already won the group by the time they play us, and we could then up with just needing a score draw at roma? Something like that. If it comes to the final game away at roma and we need to win to go through, I truly believe we will have the balls to do it. Where the balls are right now? Fuck knows.

Hopeless in Europe, promising last year at least.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dreading a Roma / Bayern type result at Anfield tonight. I just can't see us getting anything from the game other than a damn good thrashing :cry: :oops:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

race for the title is finished.

heh heh.

it's a wonder some of the big teams didn't take a punt on enner valencia. they missed out on a gem of a player me thinks.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Willy Caballero NOW.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Gael Clichy LOL
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Rich, I wonder how you make that Joe Hart could've prevented today's result, he did brilliantly for their second goal and was really unlucky it crossed the line. West Ham were really greta today, can't take anything away from them despite the fact we played poor for an hour. Unlucky not to draw with hitting the bar twice, but we certainly were nowhere near close to deserving a win. Silva's goal was incredible though!

Clichy has been past it for a while now, Kolarov is a much better option.

Race for the title is not over, but obviously it will be difficult now.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And also, what is going on at Leeds is a fucking disgrace. That guy shouldn't be allowed to own a club. Total utter cock.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The race is not over, but today's results surely didn't help. I'm still waiting for Hart to string together a couple of good matches. The goal your referring to, I surely thought that was easy to defend. Silva's strike was a rocket.

Looking forward to tomorrows match, don't know if Costa is fit yet ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

West Ham were great today for most of the match, I can't complain and that kind of result will happen from time to time against many "big sides".
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:And also, what is going on at Leeds is a fucking disgrace. That guy shouldn't be allowed to own a club. Total utter cock.

that's preposterous (& ill informed). & even moreso coming from a man city supporter. the phrase people in glass houses immediately springs to mind.

cagliari were lauded during cellino's time there for being one of the most astutely run clubs on the continent, an example for all & not just the similar provincial clubs.

so what if he fires managers - managers who aren't getting results btw. it's his business he can run it how he likes.
by & large he's done terrific work at leeds so far.

anyone who has seen leeds under milanic would be hard pushed to find reasons to have kept him on.
seriously don't understand the anti-cellino campaign that seems to be running thru english football at present, especially given SOME of the owners already established at certain clubs - past & present.. the guy knows his football, has successfully run a football club before & is neither a slaver nor human rights abuser..
so he's a little eccentric & doesn't like to pay taxes, big fucking deal. forza massimo!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Glass houses? What the fuck are you even on about? How is their situation remotely similar to city? I follow leeds closely as my mums side are from leeds and are huge fans, they agree and have been watching leeds for 40+ years. The guy is an idiot and has no plan. To be honest, I'm just about done with this thread anyway. It's seemingly become a thread to bash Manchester City a bit, maybe to wind me up cause that's what the Internet is about a lot of the time, winding people up. Some people go missing entirely if we do well, then only turn up when we fail to impress. Of course I post about City a lot cause they're my side, there is a lack of anything coming from others about their own sides most of the time. There is nothing more unimaginitive or uninteresting than people going on about the "emptyhad" lol geddit?? And city spending money and stuff. Awful. It's about as interesting as when a commentator makes remarks about players wearing gloves even though it isn't that cold.

So long you pretty things.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:Glass houses? What the fuck are you even on about? How is their situation remotely similar to city?.
Thaksin Shinawatra.
Or your current slaver owners.

There have been many more morally bankrupt owners of football clubs than Cellino.

Cellino who's major crime seems to be he has a different model than the traditional way, which is apparently somehow egregious & wrong in spite of all evidence to the contrary. He obv has a plan, to make money out of leeds (as opposed to taking money out of the club as was the case of ken bates & gfh, tho i dont recall you decrying their actual criminal involvement, huh?). He's just made a few wrong appointments so far, yet that seems enough to condemn him as unfit to run a business?!
Catch a grip.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The booking by Ivanovich was terrible ( didn't deserve it ). I guess a draw is better than nothing when considering I didn't want Chelsea nor United to win. At least a draw narrowed the gap a bit.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:The booking by Ivanovich was terrible ( didn't deserve it ). I guess a draw is better than nothing when considering I didn't want Chelsea nor United to win. At least a draw narrowed the gap a bit.
I'm pretty sure the first booking was for dissent not the foul which is just plain stupid. The second booking is a yellow card every time these days as there was contact from behind. Having said this, it was harsh, but I found I could deal with it by sniggering at Mourinho :lol: . I would happily have seen both teams loose 3-0, but that can't happen. United looked surprisingly strong in the middle and coped well with the pressure in the second half. I did think Fellani had a really decent if negative game stopping Fabregas.

Everton looked OK at Burnley. Lukaku's first touch continues to be a concern, but the team looks much better with Coleman and Barkley back, despite Alcarez (who is an accident waiting to happen at the best of times). Naismith continues to impress. He gets a lot of return from quite limited ability and loads of really hard work. The Old Man was superb at 33 ( :shock: :shock: ) years of age.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

WEST HAM!!

Never expected to be such a happy Hammer at this stage. Hoping that the January transfer window doesn't come and ruin it all. All the calls for Big Sam's head now seem a bit daft, but then such is the world of the knee jerk reaction in football. Last season we were plagued by injuries and didn't play 'the West Ham' whatever that is these days. It's just such a nice feeling watching MoTD and seeing them play so well again. Can't imagine we'll stay top 4 for too much longer, next game is away to Stoke and that's never an easy place, but who knows. Top ten finish come May will be a big success, as will staying above Spurs.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

see Nasri is fit (of sorts) for Wednesday and potentially Sunday.
What City need but not what Man Utd need!
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

At least now City won't been distracted by the Mickey Mouse cup as they attempt to win the league & champions league..
Every cloud has a silva lining..

I suppose it's hard to maintain & maintain motivation. That birthday-gate incident seems to have had terminal repercussions.. Sad/bad attitudes pervading thru the squad. What to do? Keep the faith or offload a few bad apples? Or offload the manager? That's a good option too.. Near crisis time whatever happens next. Bouncebackability or implosion, interesting to see..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

To be fair to Man City there was a sticky patch late August until the mauling of Sheffield Wednesday which they've already come through.

They sit 3rd in the league without getting going and will beat Roma 10th December to progress in the Champions League.

I'd say Chelsea will implode with a more dramatic effect than City after Mourinho unnecessary comments regarding some fringe players midweek.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Well, Chelsea are due their annual falling apart in November/December before picking it back up again in January.

City just seem to be repeating what happened when this squad first won the league. I would've thought they'd have sorted that out this season but they're still in the mix anyways. I wouldn't be hitting the panic button yet if i was a City fan.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

From the sounds of Jack White we should hand over the trophy already to Chelsea :cry: A lot of football to be played, what 29 more domestic matches ?

Yeah, it's for the best in regards to the CapitolOneCup. Too many tourneys, just concentrate on a few important ones : FA Cup, Champions League and EPL title. I'm not too keen on City's chances for Champions League ( in my opinion ). Too many good clubs that are ahead in quality - Real Madrid, Barca, Juventus, Bayern. Only 6 pts. seperating City and Chelsea ...

Manchester Derby - City (5) : United (0)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:
Manchester Derby - City (5) : United (0)
I think you'll find United will score...
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

James, how did City play today ? This just scraped a win with a 10 man United squad. In the 2nd half I thought they certainly could have added a few more ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, it should've been a fair few more before it turned. Last 20 minutes were nervy and it wasn't acceptable. Still, uniteds biggest cheer of the night was when we announced our attendance. If the only thing they beat us at is attendance count these days, fine by me.

Anyway, I'm off to make some toast and listen to sun kil moon.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's also well worth noting that today's United side is the most expensive first 11 ever fielded in the Premier League (according to various news sources, I haven't been bothered to check it out),
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Joe Hart deserves a lengthy ban for butting heads w/the ref. outrageous stuff. If it had been Johnny Foreigner & not the national team gk he'd have been sent off & castigated. Unbelievable.

Aguero is prob nearly as close to comparable to messi/cron as any other footballer on the planet. Shame he was injured @ the World Cup. Blame city for that too, not managing his injury/ies better. He's a special striker. Once in a generation type if not rarer.

Chris smalling is an idiot.
Wth is fellaini still doing at that club?! Amazing. Lvg still has a lot of work to do, esp cleaning out the crap of his predecessors. Lord Ferg really was a genius when you look at some of the players who won championships under him. They'll prob spend another 50-80mil in jan.

Joe hart tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:It's also well worth noting that today's United side is the most expensive first 11 ever fielded in the Premier League (according to various news sources, I haven't been bothered to check it out),
Why's that well worth noting? Pfft it's not as if city haven't spent about a trillion pounds buying their two league titles & Mickey Mouse cups. Utd are only playing catchup.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

jack white wrote:
James T wrote:It's also well worth noting that today's United side is the most expensive first 11 ever fielded in the Premier League (according to various news sources, I haven't been bothered to check it out),
Why's that well worth noting? Pfft it's not as if city haven't spent about a trillion pounds buying their two league titles & Mickey Mouse cups. Utd are only playing catchup.
It's worth mentioning because it's the sort of thing morons bring up about Manchester City all the time. Thank you for biting, sir. (Also, it's been on lots of news channels, lots of sports writers have commented on it. It's clearly worth noting, as many professionals have).

Looking forward to the sold out clash at the emptyhad this Wednesday.

Funny you bring up Joe Hart when the ref had absolutely no issue with it, yet you ignore the 3 blatant penalties.

Worst league start since the 80s, imagine the fuss if it had been Moyes! So funny.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Whatever point you're trying to make re money is ultimately self defeating as I'm sure it's not that long ago city could boast/be accused of fielding the most expensive team. Or is it ok to spend a billion as long as you win? Both sides are an affront to decency & fair play - 32mil for mangala? & you try & make a point on utd splashing the cash?! Again, people in glass houses ;)

3 blatant pens? Ha! None of them deserved to be pens I thought & that coming from a self admitted Abu (& proud to be one!).

What's happening at utd is a fair debate, it just doesn't stand for the city fans mud slinging tho.
You do raise a valid point re the reaction to their worst start & their treatment/support of moyes compared to lvg. It's disappointing, tho not at all surprising, the reaction - esp from the press/media. I don't get it myself. It is a transition season for them, but they still did not fully address the problems & weaknesses in the squad & the relative lack of criticism is evident of something not quite right in the coverage & debate..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We have a bit of an argument every now and then and debate, whatever, but you've really let yourself down saying none of those were penalties. Just watched it again on match of the day and every pundit on here has also said all 3 were penalties. I've not even spoken to a single united fan who said they weren't penalties until now. I am absolutely amazed at what you just wrote there. I encourage you to watch them again, because I know you're not that silly. Maybe you're trying to wind me up or something, surely?!

Glass houses is exactly what I could say to united fans, having spent plenty for many years when they've needed to. Of course I am well aware we've spent a lot, but the stupidity of some people who go on about what we spend and ignore others is fantastic. That was the point. I really don't care who spends what, why should I? Why do other people care? I don't mind when a certain company can afford more marketing budget to another. Just like I don't mind when Leonard Cohen has more empty seats than Lady Gaga, he's still miles better.

Mangala? Time will tell on that one. I think he looks like he can be an incredible defender, but watching him it is clear to see the inexperience.

Did Fellaini spit on Aguero today? I'm not sure it was meant, but it looks bad. Especially as he was yelling at him despite clearly tripping him.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Chris Smalling LOL
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

jack white wrote:...both sides are an affront to decency and fair play...
ACTUAL ROFL
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yes, Jack White City has spent a lot of money on players in order to compete competitively. You make it sound like they are the only ones i.e. - Real Madrid, Barca and Bayern have spent a ton of money, especially Real. I hate to admit it, but that is the nature of this business. Before, it was to keep up with United and City has done so and as a result have surpassed them.
Really, speaking of LVG (toad) he really should be doing better as mentioned earlier splashing 150 million pounds on players where Moyes never got that opportunity. He hasn't done much with that spending, has he ( currently 10th place standing ) ? But I do like the underdogs the BVB trying to keep pace with Bayern (who by the way always nick their best players), the Real Sociedads, Athletico Madrids and Southhamptons. The Klopp's and Simeone's are great managers, but they can only do so much against more wealthier, powerful clubs.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:Yes, Jack White City has spent a lot of money on players in order to compete competitively.

Really, speaking of LVG (toad) he really should be doing better as mentioned earlier splashing 150 million pounds on players where Moyes never got that opportunity. He hasn't done much with that spending, has he ( currently 10th place standing).
Hmmm

How much would MCFC have spent this season if FFP wasn't hanging over them??
IMO FFP stifled a lot of big spending however another big spending club isn't doing so well...FCB currently languishing in 4th...they also have rebuilding.
Any comment on Luis Enrique (Ratty)??

Moyes had opportunity and funds to spend but didn't have the pulling power.

Let's see where the end of the season leaves things as at the minute save Chelsea; there is a lot of irregular activity happening.
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

That's it. Like JackWhite would say, now they can concentrate on the EPL title and FA Cup. :oops:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

heh

gael clichy. did he complete more passes to the opposition than his own team? looked like it for a while, even before that 2nd goal.

city fans have a right to be sore & angry - at their team. i hope they don't reflect the rotten attitude of the players & deflect attn to the ref (as is their wont.. :wink: )
really disgraceful carry on, chiefly yaya & nasri's indiscipline (no surprise there). but a shocking performance across many area's of the pitch. as mentioned clichy's ineptitude, the naivety of the defending as a unit.. really almost feel sorry for the city fans paying to watching or endure that shower.
i thought they were totally unprofessional & didn't even get what they deserved. somehow they still have some kind of lifeline in this competition. mainly thanks to bayerns uber professionalism & their lack of humour. hopefully they continue that & put city out next round.
city really contribute as much to this comp as the likes of bate or athletic bilbao.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Thoroughly unprofessional and disastrous display from what was pretty much our first choice 11. Clichy, as I have said for a while now, is way past it. Last night was definitely his worst performance.

I don't think people are trying to deflect attention to the ref, but he was almost as bad as the city team at his job. Booking the wrong player? That would've evened the teams. Still, we deserved nothing and I would've been embarrassed to get something from it.

And finally, the fans were absolutely pathetic at the stadium last night. It was almost full, some of the free tickets weren't claimed I guess, but the only time they were singing it was about the ref or "stick uefa up your arse" (WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?). Never do that fucking offer again, cause it just attracts the fans who know nothing about it and don't really care, would rather it be half empty!

All in all an embarrassing night to be a city fan, topped by an Aguero dive when desperate. Although the second one should've been a penalty.

Yaya should be fined by the club, which is a shame cause he was one of the only decent players until that point. Jovetic and Clichy were abysmal, Navas has no end product but I would've left him on for pace.

I am so angry, but we're there to be poked fun at this time so go ahead.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

There always has to be a scapegoat and for some reason this time it's Man City.

Don't recall Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea' performances being much better this round.

Mass hysteria is the fallout from this one game; Pellegrini to go, ageing squad, fans aren't comfortable at this level...

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks...media bull shit and actually lazy journalism.

I'd just enjoy the final two games as I'd love my team to be competing against Roma or Bayern.
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Oh and the bilbao comment is a fuckin joke...Jack White
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd love us to be competing with those teams too, but it seems we're just making up the numbers this year in Europe. Even when we went out in the groups in the past, we were unlucky and had some bad decisions which cost big time. We've had terrible decisions in every group game this year too, but the performances were awful so I don't really look at them as being any main factor.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:Oh and the bilbao comment is a fuckin joke...Jack White
Huh?

I guess so. Given Bilbao only have 1 point & are already knocked out whereas City have a monumental 2 points & can still qualify for the next stage perhaps I was a little harsh on City w/that comment - they actually contribute more than the likes of Bilbao & Bate..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Lets be honest though, with Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool we have also seen some very poor Champions League performances this year. at least they should all make it through though.