To James T

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

To James T

Post by spzretent »

Enjoy this day.
That was the most incredible sporting event I have ever seen. With the title on the line.
I saw my Detroit Red Wings end a 42 year championship drought and it remains the greatest sporting event I have ever seen live.
But the drama attached to this game. Wow! I cant imagine what the swing of emotions in 3 1/2 minutes must have been like.
Enjoy!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Re: To James T

Post by olan »

What.A.Finish.

Well done City. pleased to see QPR stay up. What a total tool Joey Barton is :roll:

On, and Everton finished above Liverpool.... :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah I hope your head is suitably sore tomorrow James.

But I have to use a Ferguson quote and say that was genuine 'squeaky bum time'. Phew, what a relief.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

James T :

Those season tickets was well worth it ! What a finish by City in stoppage time to put away QPR ! Wow, another EPL Title for a Manchester team that is NOT ManU ! :P
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I didn't see the match live but I caught the highlights. What a great goal and all City fans must be well and truly enjoying themselves.

One day, in my lifetime I really hope to see my teams (Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians) win a championship. The Indians haven't won a Championship since 1948 and the Browns haven't won since 1964 (three years before the first Super Bowl was played). The party and joyous feeling of pride is long overdue.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Loved the quote on BBC News live shot from the Etihad Stadium. They mentioned people leaving early. The reporter said "they will always have the memory of beating the traffic". Classic.
Can you imagine if you had left that game early?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:Loved the quote on BBC News live shot from the Etihad Stadium. They mentioned people leaving early. The reporter said "they will always have the memory of beating the traffic". Classic.
Can you imagine if you had left that game early?
At least they will know how George Best felt.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shaun wrote: At least they will know how George Best felt.
Someone needs to explain this to me. I dont get it.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

spzretent wrote:
Shaun wrote: At least they will know how George Best felt.
Someone needs to explain this to me. I dont get it.
when the scum won the european cup in 1999 i think it was, they scored 2 late goals to win it , Georgey boy left 5 minutes early due to the fact he badly needed a drink....... thus missing it all :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

that was AMAZING.

credit to everyone involved (minus joey barton of course, tho he did play a pivotal role)

it's incredible that the simple facts of the matter, results everyone were expecting beforehand, really don't do justice to the frenzy of the journey.
like, i mean everyone predicted both utd & city would win & they did, so what's all the fuss about? but fucking hell that was AMAZING!

it'll never be as good as this again.
1 city, 2 clubs & 5mins of injury time when the whole thing swung.

delighted for city's fans.

overall city deserved it. by far the better & best team this yr & beat utd twice. but utd should be proud they pushed this city side all the way. it was a terrific effort by them. & by QPR who played admirably given the enormity of the occasion they were faced with.

& i now have an answer to that question, "if you could be anyone in history who would you be?" i'd be kun the moment the ball passed the keepers hand. what a feeling that musta been. & he deserves it as well, bar RVP, aguero has been the best & most important footballer this season & it was great for him to be the decisive factor
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Indeed. I wasn't watching live but sat watching the results and news coming in with astonishment. When sport is like that - history changing in a matter of seconds - it's incredible. But the pain for those Man U fans - the clips of them celebrating and then looking plain stunned are unforgettable - must have been tough. The highlights last night were probably the most memorable I can ever remember. The City staff and team's euphoric joy at the end was so genuine it was infectious.

As you say the best team won. It hasn't been a great Man U side this year - they ground results out a lot of the time rather than showing their usual flare. The best City performances this season far outweigh those of their red neighbours.

That BBC quote about the people leaving early made me laugh out loud. You'd think they'd have wanted to applaud their team for an amazing season even if they hadn't won the title.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the agony they were enduring, the potential humiliation of losing to QPR @ home and then losing the title to Utd & Fergie... that agony is a great part of the story too.
it prob would have been the most painful loss of city's history, & it's a club w/it's fair share of painful memories. so i can kinda understand in the heat of the moment not being able to process that anguish & wanting to get away from it.

but still, leaving early, esp when you're only a goal down is, to use the parlance of our times, fookin nuts.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Brilliant. :lol: Now Man U fans know the pain us Liverpool supporters felt in 1989 when Michael Thomas won the league for Arsenal with the last kick of the season. Like Runci, I wasn't watching live just following FinalScore, switched on and City were 2-1 down, "fucking typical" i thought but well.... a moment to treasure for anyone, other than fergie's mob really, whether you follow the game or not. Just pure raw emotion. Moments like that remind me why i love football despite all the hateful, obnoxious scumbags involved with the game. Plus my second team, QPR, stayed up too. The less said about Liverpool the better :oops:

Does this mean City are the new dominant force in England? Nope. Fergie has seen off Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea and i expect him to do the same with Man City too.

As for people leaving early, well that's just typical of the modern football fan really isn't it? No loyalty or belief if it's not going right for your team. Shocking attitude. I wonder how many of those early leavers were late followers of the team.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The leaving early is really common over here. I've been at playoff hockey games that were tied and watched people leave. I dont get it. Never did.
A survey was taken over here and 51% of fans surveyed said they would rather watch a game at home that go to the event. This is due to skyrocketing ticket prices and HD TV.
Also, seeing a football match in England is a whole different event than a US sporting event. Its really the only major spectator sport in the UK. Where in the US we have: Baseball, NFL Football, NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, College Football and College Basketball. I find the event itself and intensity level of the fans off the charts compared to US sporting events.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:Also, seeing a football match in England is a whole different event than a US sporting event. Its really the only major spectator sport in the UK.
Mmmm. It's certainly the biggest by a mile. But try and get a ticket for the Six Nations rugby - not a hope in hell. Rugby is very popular but not on the scale of football, apart from the Six Nations which is absolutely massive.

I know the atmosphere at English football matches is regarded as unique. I've heard endless Americans say how they love the sound of the crowd singing which is obviously a standard part of the atmosphere here no matter how big or small the match is. The only big American sport I have been to was a Stanley Cup play off - the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic at that and the fervour of the crowd brilliant. There was plenty of chanting - very loud too - but no actual singing. Just the way it is.

The atmosphere at the Man City game yesterday must have been something else. I was at the final game of the season at Leeds when we won the title 20 years ago and that was pretty special, but the event had none of the tension of yesterday as the title was already won. The explosion of emotion at the Etihad was very real to see - you could see that the players barely knew what to do with themselves such was their delight.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The victory parade is all over the TV now. They are going on about 100,000 people lining the streets. I know football is big here but that is put into some perspective when compared to big cities and big sports in the USA. When the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup for the first time in however long I think 1.2 MILLION people turned up for their victory parade in Detroit!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:
spzretent wrote:Also, seeing a football match in England is a whole different event than a US sporting event. Its really the only major spectator sport in the UK.
Mmmm. It's certainly the biggest by a mile. But try and get a ticket for the Six Nations rugby - not a hope in hell. Rugby is very popular but not on the scale of football, apart from the Six Nations which is absolutely massive.
This year was the first in 5 years when I haven't been to at least one Six Nations fixture, and I turned down the opportunity to go to the Calcutta Cup. Admittedly it's tough to get a ticket for a fixture at Twickenham, Ireland tickets are just way too expensive, Italy would be expensive just to get to with France not so much and tickets not impossible to get hold of. Can't beat the atmosphere of a rugby weekend away.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hey everyone! What an emotional day... so much to say and you will all think its just crazy but what can I do?

I did not get to go to the game tomorrow. My and my family have had season tickets for 15 years, but my sister had to give hers up when she moved to London. I have seen so much amazing football this year, she came home from London for the big occasion so I told her she could take my seat.

My dad said I could have his, but I would never do that to him. He made me a blue, he deserved it.

With 5 minutes to go, my dad was distraught, he left the game and went back to the car to wait for my sister to follow (she stayed at the game). People say this is a stupid thing to do, but he was just so gutted we had given up the chance of a lifetime. He was there 44 years ago behind the goal at St James' Park to see us win our last title. It cannot be questioned that he is a true fan, having watched near every game for 50-odd years. Sometimes to occasion just takes you a certain way and you need to get out of it. I was watching with friends at home, after managing to get the afternoon off work. I was going crazy. INSANE. When that 3rd goal went in, I mean, how does that happen?

My dad called me from the car, said he turned the radio off and didn't want to hear anymore about it when he got home. He mentioned he heard a cheer (i guess when dzeko scored) and thought it was qpr celebrating us losing or maybe sunderland equalising. He was so gutted, and then I was like WHAT? WE WON! He couldn't believe it. Although he was disappointed beyond words to miss his heroes from 1968 bringing out the trophy and handing it to our new heroes, he was just so happy and emotional about winning it after all these years.

Look, we are the only team to average 32,000 in the third tier of english football. Our fans deserved this moment. I am not saying we deserve it more than the true fans of any other team though. Any true fan who dedicates time and money to seeing their team week-in week-out deserves a moment like this. I hope we have many more, but I hope Leeds, Everton, Brentford, Colchester, Burton, Birmigham.. everyone has a day like this.

I don't think there will ever be a better finish to a season. But yeah, incredible.

I am so emotional just reading everyones thoughts on the game. We all just went to the parade in the city and soaked it up. amazing couple of days.

I love Manchester City, and I love the game.

Money doesn't buy what happened there. Haters gonna hate, but why should I care?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James:
There were two post match shows here in the USA. The second which was on for a good hour+ post game delivered this statistic:
Manchester City 2011-2012 total salries 161 million pounds
Manchester United 2011-2012 total salaries 169 million pounds
I know someone from Leeds that is a lifelong City fan and season ticket holder. I am so happy for you guys. It was an absolute joy to watch that unbridled emotion not only in the stands but the coaches and then the players.
The drama couldn't have been scripted better by Hollywood. One day there will be a movie. Hell I want the Championship DVD!
A chance to end a 44 year Championship drought. Playing the team with the worst away record who have a chance at being relegated. Who decided to just play defense and inexplicably are up 2-1 playing with 10 men. I mean really? WTF? 90 minutes in, the pain the City fans must have felt. Then....Bam! The most incredible ending I have ever seen.
I have a couple of friends in Salford who are United fans. I was well schooled by my other English friends. ABU was all they said. So I used to buy City stuff when I went over I have a scarf and throwback long sleeve jersey. I am wearing the shirt proudly in Detroit today.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

If you are ever in Manchester feel free to let me know and I will try and get a ticket freed up for you. Stay blue!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I heard a stat today that yesterday's starting line up of Man U cost £21m more than the starting line up of Man City. That would be very amusing but I can't verify it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I never leave games early either. But, I don't think James T's dad was leaving to beat traffic nor can anyone question his loyalty as a fan. I can understand that roller coaster of emotions and the horrible, sinking hole that your stomach finds and the weight on your heart when the possible starts to look impossible.

In 1986 (maybe it was early '87?) my dad and I were at a playoff game in Cleveland. It went into extra time and the opponent was winning. There was less than a minute to go and it really looked like our season was ending. My dad couldn't bear to watch it any longer. His emotions were on a roller coaster and the dream of moving forward and possibly going to and winning the Super Bowl were quickly fading. He turned and said to me, "let's go". We started to leave and were walking to the car when we heard cheering, honking and people shouting "they tied it!". We turned around and ran back to the stadium. Thankfully they let us re-enter and we stood in the aisle with 70,000 other fans watching Cleveland come from behind and win in double over time. That is one of the relatively few moments of glory for Cleveland since their Championship win in 1964.

After that game my dad has never said "lets leave" before the final whistle blows! :D

Enjoy your moment of pride, James and family. One day I hope to know how it feels too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You could feel the emotion coming right through the tv screen. It was a giant rollercoaster. I just watched BBC Sport Today & Sky Sports News. There just aren't adequate ways to describe what happened nor how it happened.
I also just realized how amazing Balotelli's pass on the winning goal was. he was either horizontal to or on the ground.
I still cant believe it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...and as for that nice Joey Barton.... :shock:
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

runcible wrote:The victory parade is all over the TV now. They are going on about 100,000 people lining the streets. I know football is big here but that is put into some perspective when compared to big cities and big sports in the USA. When the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup for the first time in however long I think 1.2 MILLION people turned up for their victory parade in Detroit!
But I thought Manchester was blue? Awful turnout.

From The Telegraph, May 15th 2011:

"Almost one million fans took to the streets of Manchester when United last paraded through the city following the club’s Treble success in 1999"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

cantona wrote:
runcible wrote:The victory parade is all over the TV now. They are going on about 100,000 people lining the streets. I know football is big here but that is put into some perspective when compared to big cities and big sports in the USA. When the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup for the first time in however long I think 1.2 MILLION people turned up for their victory parade in Detroit!
But I thought Manchester was blue? Awful turnout.

From The Telegraph, May 15th 2011:

"Almost one million fans took to the streets of Manchester when United last paraded through the city following the club’s Treble success in 1999"
Ah yes, the always bitter Man U fans when they don't win. I'm sure that one million was bolstered by the thousands who travelled from outside Manchester to be there.

I see Joey Barton quoted The Smiths in a tweet yesterday; "There are brighter sides to life and i should know because i've seen them, but not very often". :lol:

How about Tevez "RIP Fergie" banner? Handed to him by a fan apparently. Noisy neighbours indeed!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Pure theatre simple as that, a truly amazing ending which I still can't quite believe :shock:
'Remember, change is not good'
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Lets bear in mind Uniteds parade was for 3 trophies at more than 19 hours notice.

There was an incredible amount of people on the streets of manchester. As for the stats of a million people for man u... they took the same route and there is no way there were 10 times more people, because there simply is not the space.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Ah yes, the always bitter Man U fans when they don't win. I'm sure that one million was bolstered by the thousands who travelled from outside Manchester to be there.
:lol: Sales of return tickets to Manchester in May 1999 probably contributed a huge percentage to the travel industry profits! I suspect 99% of those 100,000 who attended yesterday were Mancunians.

It's interesting but compare Ferguson's decent but obviously strained congratulations to those of Matt Busby to Joe Mercer in 1968. Quite a difference.

And Man U fans wonder why everyone dislikes their team. At least as a Leeds fan I know why my lot are hated.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And last year United paraded their trophy, they got less people than city did for the FA Cup... Just sayin..
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

runcible wrote:
sunray wrote:Ah yes, the always bitter Man U fans when they don't win. I'm sure that one million was bolstered by the thousands who travelled from outside Manchester to be there.
:lol: Sales of return tickets to Manchester in May 1999 probably contributed a huge percentage to the travel industry profits! I suspect 99% of those 100,000 who attended yesterday were Mancunians.

It's interesting but compare Ferguson's decent but obviously strained congratulations to those of Matt Busby to Joe Mercer in 1968. Quite a difference.

And Man U fans wonder why everyone dislikes their team. At least as a Leeds fan I know why my lot are hated.
Now you're just stupid to listen to but you're also just a poor ABU fan
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

cantona wrote:Now you're just stupid to listen to but you're also just a poor ABU fan
Thanks for that. Resorting to insults is obviously the height of intelligence. Curious that you've both posted this message in public and sent it to me via PM too. Yet you're calling me stupid.

FYI in 1983 I went to both Cup Finals that Man U played against Brighton and I cheered them on as they won the trophy. Is that a genuine ABU or one that simply doesn't care for the arrogance of the current manager (which is when my dislike of them began), the fans and many of the current players?

If you knew anything about football you'd know that Leeds fans hate everyone and everyone hates Leeds. Been that way for years.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Only cost City 1 billion quid to win it, cheap at half the price eh? and something like 170 million debt for last year.....we've come a long way :(
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

runcible wrote:
cantona wrote:Now you're just stupid to listen to but you're also just a poor ABU fan
Thanks for that. Resorting to insults is obviously the height of intelligence. Curious that you've both posted this message in public and sent it to me via PM too. Yet you're calling me stupid.

FYI in 1983 I went to both Cup Finals that Man U played against Brighton and I cheered them on as they won the trophy. Is that a genuine ABU or one that simply doesn't care for the arrogance of the current manager (which is when my dislike of them began), the fans and many of the current players?

If you knew anything about football you'd know that Leeds fans hate everyone and everyone hates Leeds. Been that way for years.
It was a mistake i sent it PM.

Sorry but you seem more interested in United losing than Leeds winning.

But why would you not acknowledge that there were one million fans took to the streets of Manchester when United last paraded through the city following the club’s Treble success in 1999"?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

cantona wrote:
But why would you not acknowledge that there were one million fans took to the streets of Manchester when United last paraded through the city following the club’s Treble success in 1999"?
He did. Except it was in Detroit in 1997, 1998, 2002, & 2008 each time the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in hockey.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

cantona wrote:It was a mistake i sent it PM.

Sorry but you seem more interested in United losing than Leeds winning.

Fair enough - seemed odd.

I make no secret of my dislike for Man U - which genuinely did start when Ferguson joined and his arrogance spread to all the supporters it seems (you yourself used the word United to refer to Man U in the same sentence as you use Leeds - who are also 'United' - failing to see that it looks arrogant). Ferguson may be horrible but believe or not I have a huge but grudging admiration for the guy as he is the best manager in the hiostory of the English league. If I had to choose between Leeds winning and you guys losing that's an easy answer - my allegiance is to Leeds always, but if Man U lose it's a big bonus.

And I did ackowledge what you said and I stick to my view. People came from all over the country for that parade in 1999. These days a lot of Man U fans come from Manchester but mainly because it's so easy to adopt Man U as the team to support as they've been the best team for so long. Until 15 years ago that wasn't true of football fans in Manchester and I still believe the majority of the city is Man City orientated.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

solarflarez wrote:Only cost City 1 billion quid to win it, cheap at half the price eh? and something like 170 million debt for last year.....we've come a long way :(
^^^ This sums everything up. Nothing more to say really. And yes ManU may have similar salaries but they're paying those from the revenues they generate as a football club, not from billion-pound handouts from an oil sheikh.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Broc wrote:
solarflarez wrote:Only cost City 1 billion quid to win it, cheap at half the price eh? and something like 170 million debt for last year.....we've come a long way :(
^^^ This sums everything up. Nothing more to say really. And yes ManU may have similar salaries but they're paying those from the revenues they generate as a football club, not from billion-pound handouts from an oil sheikh.
Your whole argument is rather punctured by the fact that Man U's owners have mortgaged the club to the point where they keep the club in debt and pay off the interest and become rich at the same time. So the whole thing is being run while in debt which can't be said for Man City.

While Man City may have spent big what the Man U owners have done is a great deal worse. This isn't another anti-Man U stance. I think it is appalling what the Glazers have saddled their supporters with, and if I was in fact a Man U fan I'd be wearing one of those green and yellow scarves for sure.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

runcible wrote:
Broc wrote:
Your whole argument is rather punctured by the fact that Man U's owners have mortgaged the club to the point where they keep the club in debt and pay off the interest and become rich at the same time. So the whole thing is being run while in debt which can't be said for Man City.
I don't follow your argument there runcible. United generate so much money they're able to service the interest on the debt and pay the Glazers million each year. The only reason Man City aren't in debt is because they're owner just keeps pumping hundreds of milions into the club. Yes it's despicable what's happening to ManU, imagine how they would have done over the last few years if the Glazers weren't there :D And I wonder what'll happen to Man City and Chelski when the FFP rules kick in?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

City didn't waste anytime after their suprising victory, they are now after Robin van Persie by offering him 25 million pounds ! I heard that Arsenal is tryiing to resign him along w/ Man City, Man U and Juventus offering him gobs of money. Carlos Tevez might be done for ...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Broc wrote:I don't follow your argument there runcible.
Because Man City are using real money to buy their players and Man U are using money that kind of doesn't exist. Your point about FPP is a good one though. It'll make things interesting but I think there should be regulations that would effectively rule out what the Glazers have done too - I don't see that as being any better than actually spending money the owners have to spare..
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

runcible wrote:
Because Man City are using real money to buy their players and Man U are using money that kind of doesn't exist.
Thanks for explaining that runcible though I don't agree at all.

The money United generate is real enough. This real money is used to service the interest on the debt, pay salaries and buy players etc. The orignal amount the Glazers borrowed to buy MU was then put onto MU's books. The Glazers aren't reducing the original debt at all, just paying the interest. So the original debt is still there. Shocking they got away with it really. It'll be interesting in the EPL over the next 5 or so years with the FFP rules and to see if the Sugar Daddies stick around.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Broc wrote:
runcible wrote:
Because Man City are using real money to buy their players and Man U are using money that kind of doesn't exist.
Thanks for explaining that runcible though I don't agree at all.

The money United generate is real enough. This real money is used to service the interest on the debt, pay salaries and buy players etc. The orignal amount the Glazers borrowed to buy MU was then put onto MU's books. The Glazers aren't reducing the original debt at all, just paying the interest. So the original debt is still there. Shocking they got away with it really. It'll be interesting in the EPL over the next 5 or so years with the FFP rules and to see if the Sugar Daddies stick around.
Good for you Broc. Brilliant argument. Manchester United always run out a team of home grown talent. Ferguson has never paid out £18 million for a centre-half, let alone £25 million for a forward. Yes, £££ won the title for City. It did the same for Chelsea, Aresenal and Blackburn, to name but a few. Are you really suggesting that United didn't use £££ to win any of their titles? What would happen to the surplus if it wasn't being pocketed by the Glazers. I assume that United would distribute it about the league to make the competition....well...competitive?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

As man u fans have been saying for 3 years, you can't buy that passion, mentality and spirit... That considered, we did. Wry well no?

FFP has been introduced to protect the interests of teams barca, united and bayern. Don't wanna see their stocks fall.

Real Madrid have been buying glory for some
50 years using money that isn't theirs. Has it been long enough for you to forget?

Sheikh mansour has made money off much more things before oil.

Sheikh mansour has done a great deal for the city of
Manchester, not just the team man city.

So many millions fans around the world say it was one of the most thrilling days in football ever. Yet we are ruining football.

The crooks in charge of united are robbing their club and fans blind, our guys have an agreement in place meaning the security of the club is not in doubt. They cannot take money out of the club until it is making a certain amount of revenue. Don't worry everyone, we will soon be making enough money to cover ourselves. What will your argument be then?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

cantona wrote:
runcible wrote:

Now you're just stupid to listen to but you're also just a poor ABU fan
The above line proving my point about bitter Man U fans. :roll:

In all the years I spent watching Sunday afternoon football down the boozer the only fans who immediately went home in a sulk when their team lost were those supporting Man U. Fans of every other team would stay out and enjoy the craic and banter even when fergie's followers would be ramming how great they were down everyone's throats. It's only football, enjoy the to and fro and stop behaving like spoilt children.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James T wrote: So many millions fans around the world say it was one of the most thrilling days in football ever. Yet we are ruining football.
You cant teach/coach passion. What happened in injury time was by a team that refused to lose or let their supporters down. I the post game interviews that is what the players who were on the pitch said. Manicini thought it was over. The players didn't. It wasn't about money.
Its not uncommon here in the US when a player signs a huge contract their passion to win goes away because they finally have cashed in. They are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.
It was refreshing to see what happened Sunday. And the quotes afterword.
I still cant get enough of this.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

olan wrote: Good for you Broc. Brilliant argument. Manchester United always run out a team of home grown talent. Ferguson has never paid out £18 million for a centre-half, let alone £25 million for a forward. Yes, £££ won the title for City. It did the same for Chelsea, Aresenal and Blackburn, to name but a few. Are you really suggesting that United didn't use £££ to win any of their titles? What would happen to the surplus if it wasn't being pocketed by the Glazers. I assume that United would distribute it about the league to make the competition....well...competitive?
Ever hear what they say about sarcasm Olan? I didn't say any of what you suggest I said.

Yes money always buys titles, as evident over the last 20 years with ManU. I never suggested United didn't use £££ to win any of their titles. What has changed in the last few years is billionaires picking random clubs to bankroll to titles. Maybe it's a good thing maybe it's not. We'll see over the next few years I suppose..

Yes James (really enjoyed your celebratory posts) I agree about Real Madrid, it's a farce. And yes I also agree that in a few years Man City will probably be self-financing while the dominant English club.

That game was probably the most insane match I've watched on TV. I think Fergie is gonna live in permanent squeaky-bum time till he retires :lol:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

More reason to hate Man U and Fergie, they come off as arrogant twats ! " I'd expect City to spend stupid money and silly salaries this summer " And Man U is not guilty of this, too ? Another good quote by that arsehole is, " City is still 100 years behind us " - what an arrogant bastard, no congratulations to the winner or anything of the sort. Mancini should have clobbered him two weeks ago during the Derby ! :)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not a Fergie fan but he did congratulate City after their game in the post game interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCicWEND ... re=related
Fair is fair.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks for the link, I didn't see that one. It was nice sportsmanship on his part, but neverless he did take a few jabs at City in other interviews.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Better than Tevez's brain cramp with that sign.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Another thing about the Aguero goal.
Americans mock football/soccer because of the diving.
As Aguero made his run on that third goal he easily could have gone down and tried to draw a penalty. Whether it would have been given or not I dont know.
But he didn't. He finished the play fair and square. No diving. He just buried it.
Another reason to absolutely love this play.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:Sheikh mansour has done a great deal for the city of
Absolutely - I am glad someone made this point. The positive vibe caused by a title win is seen in the increase of productivity in the home town of the winning team. In 1992 the city of Leeds was on a high for a few months and it did the whole place a ton of good. That will happen in Manchester and is probably happening right now.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

runcible wrote:
James T wrote:Sheikh mansour has done a great deal for the city of
Absolutely - I am glad someone made this point. The positive vibe caused by a title win is seen in the increase of productivity in the home town of the winning team. In 1992 the city of Leeds was on a high for a few months and it did the whole place a ton of good. That will happen in Manchester and is probably happening right now.
Im just an old skeptic/ (sceptic)? i suppose, plus hugely biased against all 3 clubs involved but this view is flawed, and i have to say, i have a massive amount of respect for Runcible and his views and almost everything he posts in here, but i dont think this statement holds water
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't just mean he has done a lot by bringing in football tourism, he is revamping a huge area of the city that has long been written off, full of poverty.

Also, in football these days, with the total bastards that the agents are, you need money to be able to replace all the players that continually try to shaft you. Van Persie? I don't believe the rumours and I don't particularly like the fella. But if Tevez and Balotelli and Dzeko leave (which they all could), we would need a proven replacement. He fits the bill.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well I know it to be true for Leeds in 1992 as I heard it discussed by a group of fairly powerful businessmen who were delighted we'd won the title and said that it had made a big difference to their companies in the months that followed. I'm not sure what other conclusion you'd come to after hearing that....? You think they were mistaken?
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Runcible, as i said, i really cant get into a debate about this subject because i am a sceptic, left wing, and HUGELY biased, nothing personal, i detest all 3 teams being discussed, for a number of reasons....one being sat in a room on league cup final day 1996 as a Villa fan with 14 fans of the opposing team and having the piss ripped out of me until justice was done etc etc, its football, i like a laugh and joke and a bit of banter, but im not serious about anything i say and i certainly dont want to incur your wrath, you are far more knowledgeable about music, footy, capitalism ( :lol: ) than i could ever be so i could easily be made a fool of with one swift remark

apologies for bad grammar , spelling mistakes and rambling on :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So because you hate all the teams being discussed my statement doesn't hold water? Er... you've lost me.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

i just cant believe that a football team winning has any or much affect on productivity, does it have a positive affect on crime? people falling in love? i just find it hard to believe
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

and did i use the word hate? i try not to use that word, but if i did.......apologies
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

solarflarez wrote:i just cant believe that a football team winning has any or much affect on productivity, does it have a positive affect on crime? people falling in love? i just find it hard to believe
Ah well. It seems the 3 businessmen I had supper with in September 1992 were actually wrong in their belief that it did.
solarflarez wrote:and did i use the word hate? i try not to use that word, but if i did.......apologies
Well actually it was 'detest', so I actually misquoted you... Sorry! :wink:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

solarflarez wrote:i just cant believe that a football team winning has any or much affect on productivity, does it have a positive affect on crime? people falling in love? i just find it hard to believe
I do think there are good statistics to prove that YES...winning a championship does bode well for the local economy and the crime levels temporarily drop. I read an article speaking about this very issue soon after New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl. New Orleans, as wonderful of a city as it is, does have a dark side. It has areas of serious poverty and high crime and of course their economy was devastated after Hurricane Katrina. The team winning their first ever Championship brought city pride to ALL neighborhoods rich and poor and the crime levels dropped considerably (albeit temporarily). Also, it brought more people to the city, more chose to eat out, drink in bars, buy merchandise etc. to keep the spirit of the event and the immense feeling of pride around as long as they could.

It may all be a somewhat false economy as it doesn't last but it is certainly a boost that every city wants.

I'm relatively confident that spzretent can verify this as well after the various championships Detroit teams have brought to his city.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

In my lifetime they all did, except the 1984 Tigers. All the crazies who had no tickets congregated around the stadium getting shitfaced. After we won the celebrated by tipping over police cars and running riot. Detroit has had a hard time living that one down.
Since then we have had 3 NBA Championships, 4 Stanley Cups, a lot of great baseball wins and its always been great.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

At the risk of being facetious....productivity in Runcibles teams' city must be at an all time low now then? :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

solarflarez wrote:At the risk of being facetious....productivity in Runcibles teams' city must be at an all time low now then? :wink:
Boom boom! Ha! You may be right on that, although this will bring in the next mystery which is that Leeds is swimming with multi-millionaire businessmen who could buy the football club with their pocket change, but no one does. I met 2 of those same business guys I had that meal with in 1992 a year or so ago and they listed a whole load of extremely rich people who might well have bought Leeds Utd and were surprised they hadn't.

I'll take a risk here and say that your determination to see the downside of all this rather reflects Villa's season, no? :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »