Paying it forward

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Paying it forward

Post by spzretent »

I have to share an experience I had today.
I was invited to friend's daughters Bat Mitzvah. The service was last night. Instead of having a party and accumlating tons of gifts and money this girl chose to rent 5 coaches, had 250 people driven to a park in Detroit, and plant trees. They teamed up with The Greening Of Detroit who find the neighborhoods and parks that want this.
When you aren't used to digging big holes to plant trees its quite a workout yet everyone chipped in with a smile on their face.
Just a story of a 13 year old girl already paying it forward.
Pretty amazing.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Re: Paying it forward

Post by redcloud »

Very cool. Good for her.

I am lucky that my job allows me to see many great things that the youth of today put their mind and their energy to doing. Habitat for Humanity is one but so are youth driven blood donation centers and many fund raisers for homeless or abuse shelters. This is made all the cooler because many of the youth I work with are victims of abuse or homeless themselves.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I guess it works. My neighbor just brought back my broken lawn mower all shiny, gassed up and fixed.
Or maybe that was hint.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

that's inspiring Alan! Thank you. I've been working as an assistant director for a non-profit agency for the past 8 years. We're a grassroots agency that does everything possible to support people with disabilities to continue living independently in the community of their choice. To read about youth who are already tapped into this realm is truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing this story. Huge APPLAUSE :D :D :D
I think I feel it coming on
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I love trees. I just ordered 100 Oak assorted trees and 50 assorted Pine and cedar trees to reclame an area that had been cleared before I bought the property. They vary between 2 feet and 18 feet tall; I cannot actually PLANT them myself, but it should provide a good paying job for several men with a few days work to fill in this little area. I have wanted to for some time, and this, along with some new, unplanned planting around my house comes at an intersecting time. I am also recreating a stream via satellite photos, that was filled in many years ago; this will benefit the wildlife in the summer months.

I would be very proud of the young lady who chose to do something for the future; it shows character and intellect.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Tree planting fools!
arleigh.png
arleigh.png (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1933 times