EUROCUP 2012

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

EUROCUP 2012

Post by spacemanrich »

The start of the EuroCup is in 7 days ! Who are the favorites for this year ? I haven't looked at the grouping yet, but I'll take Espana. Germany can make a nice run too !
jack white
Known user

Re: EUROCUP 2012

Post by jack white »

getting excited. a lot of my mates r heading but unfortunately am too skint to go :(

hard to look past spain.
i don't like the look of their defenders, but like, y'know, they'll pass the opposition to death the way they do..

aside from them i quite fancy the looks of france. blanc has whipped them into shape & they've a very well balanced squad of good players.

germany & holland are the other would-be favourites. germany have gone off the boil recently, but come competition, & esp on their doorstep, they'll maybe perform.
holland, they should do well but you never really know.
they're both in the same group, w/denmark & portugal so that could prove taxing.

the good thing about euros is they can often be wildly unpredictable - much more so than the world cup or champions league.
the last euros may have been the best major soccer competition there's been in my lifetime (tho strangely ended predictably enough!). & the others have always had a few thrills & spills.

i am despairing of my beloved azzurri. the italians look in bad nick. which is a shame cause i love the personality & style of their players - pirlo, my all time favourite footballer. de rossi. super mario & cassano up front is a marriage made in some kind of hilarious hell, which on paper looks like the best strikeforce at the finals.
but it looks like they've suffered an untimely suckerpunch.

can see england failing to qualify from their group.
(fingers crossed ;) )
they'll need some kinda heroics from gerrard methinks. or maybe rooney in that final group game.

i am hoping ireland & o'trap pull a greece & go all the way!!

now, i absolutely loathe(d) the way chelsea & greece & even ireland play. but it's a little different, more forgivable when it's your own. & really ireland don't have the resources to play in any other style.
they're in a tough group but they perform at their best when they are distant underdogs & are capable of getting results against croatia & italy. spain will probably annihilate them!

i would be p shocked however if the winners didn't come from spain/france/germany. cant see much in the way of dark horses: czech rep & russia don't seem to have the players or the form. you can never rely on portugal to do much except scupper england, which has always been great of course!
dunno. but after the pain of chelsea winning the 'champions league' i was distraught again about football. but i am looking forward to this tournament - mainly because there will finally be something to watch on tv!!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Just got a chance to look at the Group Brackets and they say Group B is the " Match of Death " or something like due to the team involved and I concur. Group B seems to be the bracket with the most competitive teams. I just read that David Villa is " out for Spain " - I didn't know this, some sort of injury ? If he's out, that makes the decision a little harder. Seems like David Villa and Miroslav Klose are like scoring machines during the Euro/World Cup. I don't follow the Bundelisg much, but they say Klose is disappointing in club play, but he seems to shine during these big tourneys i.e. Euro/World Cup.

Now, that I know that David Villa is out, I'm going to change my mind and say that Germany will win the EuroCup, I like their lineup of Schweitzer (spelling), Klose, Phillip Lahm, Podalski, Ozu, and Hamm 6'4'' goalkeeper, etc. Also, I like their coach Joachim Low who has implemented new rules for their team. Their rules/regiment were always very strict, but he has made them more relaxed : WAG's, fags and alchohol are okay before games. Yes, girlfriends/wives/mistresses are okay in the hotel rooms before games. And Yes, you can smoke and drink if you want. A pint of lager will provide a little carbohydrates as well as soothe the nerves before a big match, sorta like an energy drink.

Also, this year marks the 40th anniversary of Germany's win over Russia in the 1972 EuroCup with german greats Beckenbauer, Netzer and Muller.

http://sg.video.yahoo.com/rooftopcomedy ... 79274.html

First two teams out of each bracket and so I'll choose my two in bold :

Group A
Russia
Poland

Czech Republic
Greece

Group B
Germany
Netherland

Portugal
Denmark

Group C
Espana
Italy

Croatia
Ireland

Group D
France
England

Sweden
Ukraine

Can't wait, should be a great tournament !
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

UEFA's handling of the alleged racist abuse of the Dutch team is, although typical, absolutely disgraceful.

the "people" who are doing it are obviously worse. brainless scumbags. these morons look set to spoil what should be an intensely fun experience, & platini & uefa are culpable too. but nothing will change.

i find it so fucking sad, w/so much other terrible bullshit happening around the world, the best these people can do w/their time is abuse people w/a different colour of skin.

i hope i'm wrong & it doesn't continue to be an issue. hopefully the football & it's own controversies take centre stage.

if it does occur i would dearly love the players to take their ball & go home. nothing is worth being subjected to the insane & puerile behaviour of those too stupid to appreciate what they've got. if they ruin it for the rest of us, so be. but the shame & embarrassment be on their heads.

re: david villa. he broke his leg in dec & was always in a race against time. i didn't think he would make it & even if he did, he prob wouldn't have been fully fit. he does weaken spains position somewhat but tbh i think he was on the decline these past two yrs...

re: klose - yea he's amazing, the difference from his undistinguished club career compared to his record for the national team. he's a treasure. hopefully he plays but i've a feeling they'll be starting w/that goat gomez.
of course me calling him that means he'll prob finish the tournaments top scorer.

hope the groups aren't a clear-cut as your predictions spaceman - tho, of course, you do like to see the big teams get thru to the final stages..
denmark are my new dark horses....
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="jack white"]
i find it so fucking sad, w/so much other terrible bullshit happening around the world, the best these people can do w/their time is abuse people w/a different colour of skin.
quote]

Agreed and as I have said previously on this message board this behavior NEVER happens in the US. Not saying there aren't ignorant racists. They just dont go to sports events I guess.
I find it astonishing this still happens in Europe.
I just dont understand it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Spzretent, what do you mean racism doesn't exist in the U.S. ? Are you being facetious ? What about the racial taunting in the NHL with the negro hockey player about 2 months ago, I don't remember what team he plays for or his name ? What about the Formula Grand Prix , I think in Valencia where the Spanish taunted Hamilton w/ monkey chants. I don't know if you can eradicate it, but they certainly are trying ( I think ) ?

As for picking ' big ' clubs, I don't know. I just think that Germany is due for one. I almost picked Ukraine to go into the second round just because of the home field advantage, but I just don't think that will make a difference. France is kinda iffy for me, as well as Italy. Italy has been plagued by scandal for sometime. They had to dismiss Domenico Chricito not long ago and their has been a cloud of suspicion over Gianluigi Buffon. Russia for some reason might have a very good run in this tournament ?
Last edited by spacemanrich on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well it's a little different solely because of the multicultural nature of the US. since forever, really, a lot of the top sportsmen in the US have been black (white men can't jump of course) & now you've got lots of athletes of Chinese or Asian descent as well.
the likes of Poland & Ukraine haven't been exposed to that, or haven't had as diverse a cultural make-up until recently.
it's no excuse tho. idiots are idiots wherever you go, it's just unfortunate a lot of them congregate around soccer.

however, the first game's just over & it was quite good.
an interesting game, if not exactly brimming w/quality football.
it told a good story & its outcome allows even more scope for debate - looks like Poland are out, while you could see Greece scraping thru.. gotta admire the spirit of the Greeks (in football terms of course!). Poland blew it. they were too... i dunno, they lacked the composure to get that 2nd goal & close the game. it's their own fault & they're keeper totally blew it.

fingers crossed the rest of the tournament brings similar levels of intrigue.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

jack white wrote:however, the first game's just over & it was quite good.
an interesting game, if not exactly brimming w/quality football.
it told a good story & its outcome allows even more scope for debate - looks like Poland are out, while you could see Greece scraping thru.. gotta admire the spirit of the Greeks (in football terms of course!). Poland blew it. they were too... i dunno, they lacked the composure to get that 2nd goal & close the game. it's their own fault & they're keeper totally blew it.

fingers crossed the rest of the tournament brings similar levels of intrigue.
Decent start to the tournament - neither team really showing what they could do for the full 90 mins. I still think Poland could go through, although they'll need to get a result against Russia.

As a Celtic fan, some of Samaras's play was slightly painful to watch!

I've got a fiver on Lewandowski to be top scorer in the tournament, so was good to see him get a goal, although he should have had another.

Expecting Russia to win tonight.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Russia were terrific in the games I saw them vs Ireland, it was only outrageous luck that kept the 2nd game scoreless.

If they play as well as that I can't see Poland containing them. I didnt think Poland were up to much there while I'd fancy Greece to upset the Czech Rep...

Never really fancied Samaras..

Interested to see what shape Czech Rep are in. Not much hype about them...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Yeah, Russia look good - 2-0 up now.

I've got a soft spot for Samaras - he's good at holding up and running with the ball, but he's awful at striking it. That's why Celtic don't play him as a striker any more, we play him at left wing. He had a decent season with us, I think he got double figures in terms of assists.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Didn't know they'd moved him. P smart. He does have some skill but yea is a rubbish striker.

Czechs are crap.
Russia maybe being flattered a bit - Arshavins pass was actually p poor initially for the 2nd goal! They're gonna walk this group tho. They look clumsy at the back & are prone to laziness...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

The racism thats going on....disgusting, but as always, UEFA/FIFA just ignore the issue, pretend it isnt going on, cos they obviously knew it was an issue before they decided to let these countries host the tournament. And it will happen in Russia too, for the world cup, same as hooliganism....just sweep it under the carpet, dont talk about it, no one will notice. As for racism in America....cmon, dont get me started.....
On a lighter note , Samaras and Celtic......ANYONE can play in the SPL, eh? 50 goals a season...no problem! ha ha, and i LOVE Celtic....in my town, lots and lots of Scots, my parents are Scottish etc etc, so you are either green or blue, but we all know , even Gascoigne could still play up there and be a star! :) :) :)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

solarflarez wrote:The racism thats going on....disgusting, but as always, UEFA/FIFA just ignore the issue, pretend it isnt going on, cos they obviously knew it was an issue before they decided to let these countries host the tournament. And it will happen in Russia too, for the world cup, same as hooliganism....just sweep it under the carpet, dont talk about it, no one will notice. As for racism in America....cmon, dont get me started.....
On a lighter note , Samaras and Celtic......ANYONE can play in the SPL, eh? 50 goals a season...no problem! ha ha, and i LOVE Celtic....in my town, lots and lots of Scots, my parents are Scottish etc etc, so you are either green or blue, but we all know , even Gascoigne could still play up there and be a star! :) :) :)
enjoyed the opening 2 games more than I expected ,that group has the least "box office " appeal ,but turned up 2 pretty good games for a neutral, every one I know of a betting nature had it as a Poland/Russia double ,so it seems like a good night for the bookies,maybe a Germany /Holland double later on might tempt me to part with a 5 spot.,

and thanks for the light hearted dig at the SPL,can`t remember anyone hitting 50 or even 40 ,infact the mighty Henrik Larrson only hit the 30 mark twice,Samaras had a poor game ,woeful first touch ,but still had an assist in the Greek goal,
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Platinis response to the issue of racism was pathetic ,I have no respect for the man at all ,morphing into another Blatter ,but Platinis played at the very top ,so whats his excuse,he said he didnt believe clubs/ countries should held accountable or punished for the behaviour of their fans !!! WTF,
also when Balloteli threatened to walk of if racially abused ,he should be yellow carded as players don`t referree games ,the man is so far out of touch it beggars believe ,its an outrage the tournament is being staged where it is anyway,UEFA are only paying lip service to the issue of racism ,and to top it all the Respect campaign badge is on everyones kit ffs.rant over :evil:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Very true. Platini is a corporate lackey. He & his ilk are corrupting the game @ the highest level rather than setting the standards people should follow. Balotelli is incorruptible, a true hero...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Germany v Portugal ,bit of a disappointment ,kinda chess match ,Portugal wanted the draw and got what they deserved ,IMO, feck all ,late German winner ,this game had all the most talented players ,but probably the worst game so far ,roll on the Republic of Ireland tomorrow,
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Smart move by Joachim Low to start Mario Gomez instead of Klose. Also, I'm glad that in the next few years that they are going to implement some sort of ball marker to see if the ball has passed the goal line or not. Without instant replay, that would have been a difficult call at the time, but the referee made the right decision.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

solarflarez wrote: As for racism in America....cmon, dont get me started.....
Please enlighten me. As someone who has attended well over 500(actually way more than that) sporting events in the US, and follow sports very closely I never, ever see signs of racism. I was speaking specifically about sporting events in the US.

Spacemanrich: The Washington Capital player that ended Boston's season was Joel Ward. That incident was very much an isoalted incident. My post meant we dont have the issues that continually crop up in European football. Be it the Premier League or Euro Cup.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

spzretent wrote:
Please enlighten me. As someone who has attended well over 500(actually way more than that) sporting events in the US, and follow sports very closely I never, ever see signs of racism. I was speaking specifically about sporting events in the US.
I didnt specifically mean sporting events, and i apologise for any offence .....ive never been to an American sporting offence so i cannot comment , i meant as a whole, or in general. As ive said before, in different threads, im not anti American, I dont want to argue or put anyone down or cause offence, i was just joining in the debate.
As for Mr Larsson at Celtic..... season ending 2001....53 goals, ending 2002, 35 goals, 2003, 44 goals, 2004, 40 goals cmon, its a piece of pish up there!! ha ha:) :) :)
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

oh...and as for the Euros......the Russian fans have started already....racism, hooliganism.....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Nxt euro's are to be staged in Russia, yea??

Larsson was a great footballer, one of the best in the modern era. Celtic & the SPL were privileged to have him. He maybe did himself a disservice staying loyal so long as he had the quality to shine at the highest level. He was pure class.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spzretent wrote: Agreed and as I have said previously on this message board this behavior NEVER happens in the US. Not saying there aren't ignorant racists. They just dont go to sports events I guess.
Precisely why this line was in my previous post. I was just referring to sports events or matches.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

solarflarez wrote:
spzretent wrote:
I didnt specifically mean sporting events, and i apologise for any offence .....ive never been to an American sporting offence so i cannot comment , i meant as a whole, or in general. As ive said before, in different threads, im not anti American, I dont want to argue or put anyone down or cause offence, i was just joining in the debate.
As for Mr Larsson at Celtic..... season ending 2001....53 goals, ending 2002, 35 goals, 2003, 44 goals, 2004, 40 goals cmon, its a piece of pish up there!! ha ha:) :) :)
Your quoting his season totals I was talking SPL goals , so can I expect to see you pulling on the boots for some SPL side next season then ,as its a piece of pish then :wink:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Hoping for Italy & Ireland victories today...

Think the reverse will happen tho...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

solarflarez wrote:oh...and as for the Euros......the Russian fans have started already....racism, hooliganism.....
The footage of their fans attacking stewards is deeply sickening.

One thing people keep saying is that you won't get rid of racism in countries like this but NOT holding tournaments there. That's a valid argument but, much as we all want to see the whole pass off without it, are people hoping for a nasty racist incident so that one of the football authorities has to take action? Maybe it would make the totally inept buffoons at UEFA and FIFA do something - so far they have shown ignorance rarely seen when dealing with anything important like this.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

That was a brilliant game.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good game overall btwn Espana and Italia, both sides had their opportunities. I was pleasantly suprised by Italia, they could become a dark horse in this tourney. Botelli had his opportunity if he wasn't running half arsed towards the goal and getting the ball kicked away from behind. As well, Fernando Torres seems to be hesitant and had a great opportunity for a score on goal, but decided to dribble closer. Both teams should advance to the next round. Looking forward to the France and England game tomorrow ....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:
solarflarez wrote:oh...and as for the Euros......the Russian fans have started already....racism, hooliganism.....
The footage of their fans attacking stewards is deeply sickening.

One thing people keep saying is that you won't get rid of racism in countries like this but NOT holding tournaments there. That's a valid argument but, much as we all want to see the whole pass off without it, are people hoping for a nasty racist incident so that one of the football authorities has to take action? Maybe it would make the totally inept buffoons at UEFA and FIFA do something - so far they have shown ignorance rarely seen when dealing with anything important like this.
I don't think anyone has faith in Uefa to take action, or the necessary action. Uefa & Fifa shirk their responsibilities in favour of lining their pockets. Matters of racism or even football are really of little concern to them. Theyre businessmen. That might sound shocking, but anyone who has followed football will know this.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

^^ What he said.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

COYBIG!

Wish I was there...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Terrible start from Ireland, hoping they improve - this game's their best (only?) chance of a win in this group.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Get in there!!!! 1-1 and game on!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Terrible panicky defending
Ireland are really crap :(
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

solarflarez wrote: I didnt specifically mean sporting events, and i apologise for any offence .....ive never been to an American sporting offence so i cannot comment , i meant as a whole, or in general. As ive said before, in different threads, im not anti American, I dont want to argue or put anyone down or cause offence, i was just joining in the debate.
Sadly, racism isn't unique to America. It is the uglier nature of our species. I even saw it very blatantly in Costa Rica (they were anti-Nicaraguans).

The one thing I will say that is good about America is that we openly talk about race and equality in this country while other countries ignore it or turn a blind eye. Ignorance wont end tomorrow but as both race and sexuality are openly discussed in America it does mean that we're on the road to being a more tolerant society.

Back to football....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Decent England performance but we might easily have lost that match if France had upped their game. Pretty much everyone played well at times and I was pleasantly surprised at the actual team work that took place.

So, not a bad start when I remember the debacle that was England at the last World Cup.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good game, both teams played well. Funny how both scores were scored by City players.

I'm anticipating tomorrow's game btwn Russia and Poland. Not really on the pitch, but rather off the pitch considering what happened w/ Russia's first game. Let's see if the Russian Soccer Federation has gotten to these knuckleheads about fighting and causing havoc. If it does become violent, I hope FIFA takes the appropriate measures, whatever they might be ?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, not a bad performance all in all. Not blown away, but their work rate wasn't bad and I was pleased to see Roy gamble with the Ox rather than the useless Dowling. The players looked shattered at the end which doesn't bode too well though. Would have definitely taken a point before the game though still had my fingers crossed for the win. Be interesting to see what happens in the next game against Sweden.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Thought England v France was by far worst & least entertaining game of the comp so far.
England only had one chance, from a set piece..

France were really underwhelming. England played well defensively.
Glad to see Oxlade-Chamberlain play, he had some nice touches.

England did look wrecked & France too indolent in their approach to take advantage. Think that's partly due to the English FA's organisation - the team obv aren't acclimatised..

France do not have the quality to win this tournament.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Sheva!

What. A. Legend.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

That was amazing.
Fairytale stuff. Hugely entertaining game. This is a wonderful tournament so far.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yep... that was a bit of a cracker wasn't it. Neither team is going to make it easy for England, nor France for that matter. Starting to really get into this tournament now. Looking forward to Holland v Germany on Wednesday.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:Thought England v France was by far worst & least entertaining game of the comp so far.
England only had one chance, from a set piece..
You were obviously putting the kettle on when Milner went round the keeper...

Agreed on entertainment though, but for a first game in a tournament we won't win, and with a manager just 6 weeks and 3 games into his tenure, and against the best team in the group.... not bad at all I'd say.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Aye far enough, that Milner chance was actually prob the best of the match. & I should say, bar peppering the goal w/shots from distance, France created little in the way of clear chances.

Hodgson is enjoying a honeymoon period..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:Aye far enough, that Milner chance was actually prob the best of the match. & I should say, bar peppering the goal w/shots from distance, France created little in the way of clear chances.

Hodgson is enjoying a honeymoon period..
Probably correct on Hodgson but tactically he rather got it right. He's always been a figure I have admired but he also seems to be a genuine guy.

I thought France had a few chances that looked almost certain to go in but for the fact they hit it straight at Hart.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Agree 100% re: Hodgson

I've always liked him & his approach. He's one of the few managers who are honest & genuine in interviews. & i mean, tactically you know what you're gonna get - solid & sensible. & given time his teams are capable of playing nice football as well as defending well, he's a classic type. However I think it's a little soon for his England team to find that synergy in terms of fluid attacking play, & he may not even have the personnel to do that..

It'll be interesting to see if they try & seize the initiative against Sweden/Ukraine. I think they'll stick to this defensive/counter-attacking set-up tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah I'm with you on that.

It's also refreshing that he's honest about how games go rather than trying to bullshit people. When his WBA team won at Anfield with the only chance they had against an endless series of Liverpool attacks he said simply 'I admit that Liverpool were the better team today' which you hardly ever hear managers say. The guy has solid integrity and has been the same his whole career.

This tournament is a learning process for England. I find it bizarre that prior to the start the English press was going on about how relaxed it felt to be going into a competition without any genuine expectation (which is absolutely true) but then have started taking yesterday's game apart as if the opposite was true. I think Hodgson and the players deserve a lot of credit for that performance - they were playing a very good team and got a draw that they fully deserved. I expected to lose 2-0 or 3-1 so I was pretty happy with what we got.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

No signs of "two lines of four" and midfield destroyers in this Poland-Russia game. Brilliant game, if a bit mad.....
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

olan wrote:No signs of "two lines of four" and midfield destroyers in this Poland-Russia game. Brilliant game, if a bit mad.....
agreed! while typing this.... crazy tackle.....

M
Design.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Poland vs Russia was a fantastic game. I'd like Poland to get through - they'll need to beat the Czechs first.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

looks like the Dutch have cracked..

tbh, i think Van Der Vaart is an unnecessary luxury. when he came on for de jong vs. denmark you could see the energy levels of the netherlands drop, they created next to nothing after his introduction & anything good came from sneijder. VDV makes no effort to track runners or close the ball & in possession he is capable of the sublime but also willfulness & wastefulness.
as much as it pains me to say it, i'd have de jong/mvb & sneijder before mvb/sneijder & VDV. i think they're a much better balanced team w/o him.

the germans could send them home tonight.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Holland: Oh Dear, oh dear, oh dear....

(hoping this has the same effect on Germany that my Game On! Posting had on Ireland)

Van Persie: Donkey's Arse + Banjo = ????? What has happened in the last four weeks?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If anyone has any doubts about the Germans, erase them right now.

The Germans are the real thing !
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote: Van Persie: Donkey's Arse + Banjo = ????? What has happened in the last four weeks?
Clearly he was practicing on getting his right foot sorted out.....

Germans look very good, and are playing some great stuff.....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Looking forward to this one.. Croatia might do the Italians.. But if Italy turn a good performance into a result it could kick start a good run for them..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

After watching Ireland v Croatia in wonderfully hot and sunny Spain last week, and left totally deflated, i'm hoping that being back in rain-sodden Ireland may have the opposite affect at the end of the Spain game and i'll be delirious with happiness in the pissing rain.
Be typical of Ireland to get four points against Spain and Italy and still be going home. We are a nation that specialises in glorious failures.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

As long as Ireland fail gloriously I'll be happy. We've a pretty poor team, stubborn manager (eg playing Simon Cox tonight!) and aren't pretty to watch. I'd be happy enough if they showed a bit of passion, spirit and fight, even if they still didn't qualify.

I'm really enjoying this tournament as others have been saying. Some great matches and good attcking football from the bigger teams. The Germans are looking really, really good but others could come good in the next round too so tough to call.

Last night was hilarious seeing Ronaldo have another little hissy fit after his misses. Apparently the Danish fans were singing Messi's name when Ronaldo had the ball. He still doesn't turn up for the big matches with Portugal, which was pretty much the same with ManU. Not sure about his time at Real Madrid.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote:After watching Ireland v Croatia in wonderfully hot and sunny Spain last week, and left totally deflated, i'm hoping that being back in rain-sodden Ireland may have the opposite affect at the end of the Spain game and i'll be delirious with happiness in the pissing rain.
Be typical of Ireland to get four points against Spain and Italy and still be going home. We are a nation that specialises in glorious failures.
as a Scot and Celtic fan I`m well familiar with the glorious failure stuff ,I think you`s are up against it tonight big time ,just come in from having a smoke and its one nil already , long night a head,
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sadly pretty one-sided for the Irish who I have always had a tremendous soft spot. 4-0 flattered them. Spain were almost trying to walking it in at times but their superiority - admittedly against a very average Irish side - was ridiculous. Having said that Ireland's ability to get men in the way of the ball when Spanish shots fired in was admirable, but it was a one-sided game.

Slightly gutted for Robbie Keane who has been a hero of mine for many a year. I'm off to Spain with the family in the summer so I'd like to see the Spaniards win the whole thing. Has to be better than Germany who are the other obvious quality team in it.

Oh - big up for the Irish fans who created such an incredible atmosphere throughout, even when they were 4-0 down. Massive respect to those guys!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:Sadly pretty one-sided for the Irish who I have always had a tremendous soft spot. 4-0 flattered them. Spain were almost trying to walking it in at times but their superiority - admittedly against a very average Irish side - was ridiculous. Having said that Ireland's ability to get men in the way of the ball when Spanish shots fired in was admirable, but it was a one-sided game.

Slightly gutted for Robbie Keane who has been a hero of mine for many a year. I'm off to Spain with the family in the summer so I'd like to see the Spaniards win the whole thing. Has to be better than Germany who are the other obvious quality team in it.

Oh - big up for the Irish fans who created such an incredible atmosphere throughout, even when they were 4-0 down. Massive respect to those guys!
as far as the Spanish winning the competion goes ,no country I believe has won 3 major competions on the spin ever ,be interesting to see if they can do it,feel the Germans will do it this time ,the way they closed out the game after Holland scored last night was very impressive,don`t think the Dutch had a shot on goal in the 5 min. injury time ,normally a team in the Dutch position would press on ,if they could get a hold of the ball!!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:Oh - big up for the Irish fans who created such an incredible atmosphere throughout, even when they were 4-0 down. Massive respect to those guys!
They are pretty special aren't they? :D Makes you realise how fickle so many "fans" are.

Best we can hope for now is to prevent my perennially hated international team, Italy, from making the next round. I'd be delighted if we stopped those cheating, corrupt, preening fuckers from going through.

I've only seen 6 full matches so far but been quite bored for the majority of them. Patches of good play but a lot of dull stuff too. Hoping the knock-out rounds will be better.

From what I have seen so far Germany look a very good bet.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i think that's a rather curmudgeonly post, sunray.

ok, there can be a case made that there has been a lack of flair & great goals so far in the tournament.

but in terms of entertainment & excitement this tournament has been a success. only in Irelands two games has a team been outclassed. every other game the momentum & goals have swung in favour of both sides. & bar the first Ireland game & England/France, the games have been of good quality & entertaining.

as far as the italians, in their two games i think they've brought a lot of positives to the comp. playing w/3 at the back, a much more open system, mario & cass up front. attacking w/pace & energy. they've been a breath of fresh air. they certainly contribute more than the style Croatia play.
the only ugly thing about them has been Cassano's ignominy in his press conference.

as for Ireland last night.
very disappointing & trap has gotten a lot wrong since the Estonia games (& prob before, but then his stubbornness wasn't exactly tested in the group stage) & we did make a lot of silly mistakes. BUT the gulf in class of the players was always going to lead to that demolition - unless we got really, really lucky. there is just no way to compensate the likes of Sean St Ledger & Keith Andrews up against World Cup/Euro Cup/Champs League winners like Torres/Xavi. the gulf in class is ridiculous (& it makes me worry for the extended format of the next Euros - this is the last time we'll really see the true cream of the crop, next time will bring more teams like of the quality of Ireland).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Can't really complain with last night's hammering, 'twas men v boys out there. Ireland must be the only nation to bring two players to the Championship who aren't affiliated to any club! Some shocking individual errors but it was inevitable I suppose. I wonder was Given fully fit cos he didn't look too sharp for some of the goals..

Great headline in the Irish Sun; "Murder on the Gdansk floor"...

jack white wrote: the gulf in class is ridiculous (& it makes me worry for the extended format of the next Euros - this is the last time we'll really see the true cream of the crop, next time will bring more teams like of the quality of Ireland).
Totall agree with this Jack, all the usuals sail into the next round with fairly uncompetitive matches. I remember in 1984 it was just two groups of four though there were a lot fewer European countries then, one of my favourite tournaments of all time that one.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote:i think that's a rather curmudgeonly post, sunray.

ok, there can be a case made that there has been a lack of flair & great goals so far in the tournament.

but in terms of entertainment & excitement this tournament has been a success. only in Irelands two games has a team been outclassed. every other game the momentum & goals have swung in favour of both sides. & bar the first Ireland game & England/France, the games have been of good quality & entertaining.

as far as the italians, in their two games i think they've brought a lot of positives to the comp. playing w/3 at the back, a much more open system, mario & cass up front. attacking w/pace & energy. they've been a breath of fresh air. they certainly contribute more than the style Croatia play.
the only ugly thing about them has been Cassano's ignominy in his press conference.
Curmudgeonly? I don't think so. Just saying that i haven't felt excited watching the 6 full games that i've seen so far. Technically good football, as we always get at these tournaments, but i've not been thrilled. Maybe no vested interest in some of the matches has something to do with it, i dunno really.

As for the Italians, you're a fan and i'm not. Doubtful that either of our opinions will ever change about them.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Re: Italy - not necessarily. Under Donadoni, or at the last WC, I didnt like much about them. But there are positives this time round.

See Brady & Dunphy having a bit of a fallout in the rte studio today? Brady back to his grumpy entertaining best. Dunphy nonsensical & excitable as ever, he even dropped a "this is not 'nam, this is football" into the argument.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote:See Brady & Dunphy having a bit of a fallout in the rte studio today? Brady back to his grumpy entertaining best. Dunphy nonsensical & excitable as ever, he even dropped a "this is not 'nam, this is football" into the argument.
Great stuff. I'm a big fan of Richard Sadlier's too, one of the best analysts around imo.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Tried to get the England game on at my work...kick off was 11:45am over here. IT person fiddled around and eventually said they thought they had it on an open channel but of course they didn't. I followed the first half the best I could on bbc sports - live commentary, but of course had to switch off during second half to attend some meetings and ended up missing the best part of the game! Great win though and it sounds like it was a thriller.