Tour de France

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Tour de France

Post by runcible »

I just wanted to say a big well done to Bradley Wiggins for his amazing Tour victory... That was some ride sonny.
Shaun
Known user

Re: Tour de France

Post by Shaun »

Brilliant. 

Stunning individual and team efforts as well as a huge show of sportsmanship and respect shown by Bradley Wiggins after some loon threw tacks onto the road. Add to that the last three stage wins by team Sky.... What a huge marker put down on the eve of the Olympics.

Close the book on this years BBC Sports Personality even before the Olympic Games start and a future knighthood for sure.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

agreed ,
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

AMEN to all that. It really is an outstanding achievement.

Im not a football fan, I used to get involved during the big tournaments and cheer on England but after the recent debacle with John Terry (which I find repulsive), as well as the lethargy and general lack of enthusiasm the team tend to show during their matches, I've turned my back on football, possibly for the last time. I say this as I find it the complete antithesis of the recent performance on the Tour by team Sky, (Wiggins inparticular, who aside from the obvious, his sportman like gesture over the tacks incident was an incredibly cool thing to do) as well as the effort, physical hardship and passion the whole UK cycling team give to their sport. I find it staggering how much dedication you can give to a sport and still be as grounded and down to earth as Wiggins, Hoy, Pendleton and Cavendish, especially given their success. They really are the true ambassadors for UK Sport. I felt a real sense of national pride as Wiggins and Cav crossed the line on Sunday, which was something I've not felt for a long time. I will also continue to bore anyone I come into contact with about Wiggins for sometime to come.

Massive, massive respect. Now, lets go and bag some golds in the track cycling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18935596
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Great stuff alright. Not just Wiggins either, Mark Cavendish becoming the first person to win the final stage on four consecutive years as well as being the first current World Champion to win the final stage too. Although when he took a stage win from Nicholas Roche (Stephen's son) in the last few metres after Roche had broken away from the peloton earlier in the day was a bit of a sickener!

Restored my interest in the Tour again too. I used to watch it religiously for years but then in recent times, after all the never ending doping scandals, i just lost faith in the whole thing and stopped watching. Glad to have it back in my life again. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I think it's been the cleanest Tour for a long time. Sky came good on their promise. On the downside I see Froome and Cav leaving to teams that will support them better.

However, team Sky did it and we have a Brit winner and second place, Cav won what he could and was the total team player.

The Tour is one of my highlights of the year and this was just surreal.

It's clear we have a number of bike nuts in the Spz community abd I ask the merch people to produce a Spz bike jersey. The A&E cross would be perfect. Try to avoid syringes...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

simonkeeping wrote:I will also continue to bore anyone I come into contact with about Wiggins for sometime to come.
I suspect that will have some mileage in it. I'm still telling people about a certain rugby world cup final in 2003, although nowadays the majority of people I remind about that are Welsh.
What more can the heart of a man desire?