2012 Olympics (London)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

redcloud
Known user

2012 Olympics (London)

Post by redcloud »

Thought I would go ahead and kick start this thread. I was in London in 2005 when it was announced that they won the Olympic bid. The parties went long into the evening. The sense of joy and pride was infectious. And then the next day happened and everybody crashed back to earth with the Tube bombings.

Hard to believe that seven years have since passed and the games are about to begin. Personally, I love the Olympics and am looking forward to them. I really wish, however, that we had the BBC so we could watch their excellent and relatively unbiased coverage of the games. NBC's coverage of the Beijing games was truly appalling. All they focus was placed on games where Americans were expected to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd. The only competitor they seemed to regularly show were the Chinese (it used to only be the Soviets and East Germans) and Bob Costas was terrible as the announcer always trying to make political references about China, Russia or Iran. I am seriously hoping NBC do a better job because for me it's about the glory of human sporting achievement regardless of nationality or popularity of the sport. But, there you go. Rant over.

Bring on the games!

:D
redcloud
Known user

Re: 2012 Olympics (London)

Post by redcloud »

No live coverage of the Opening Ceremony!? I understand they want the ratings and 7:30 will allow for many more to watch but come on, this isn't acceptable.

Like I said....I wish I had the BBC.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That opening ceremony got increasingly psychedelic as it went on... What was it? 90 minutes? That's like an entire musical.

I found myself enjoying lots of it - quite a lot of decent music, albeit tiny sound-bytes. It felt odd, yet satisfying, to hear the Sex Pistols played as part of the musical celebration of Great Britain.

I gave up on the M's in the team introductions.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Opening Ceremony was very creative. Beijing was quite the spectacle while London seemed much more theatrical. I loved the whole industrial revolution part where they made the fifth ring and then joined them with a shower of fireworks.

Only on "D" in the parade of nations...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I thought it was triumph. It more than answered the question set by the Bejing opening ceremony. As in, how are we going to top that? There's was all about scale and pomp and regiment, our's was all about people and celebrating the diversity and creativity that makes up the UK.

Danny Boyle (and musical director Rick Smith) did such a great job of bringing it all together with some really cheeky little touches like the Sex Pistols - first time they've been played in front of the Queen? Lets not forget that record was banned when it came out! And the smiley face during the Blue Monday signifying acid house. Very cool and again celebrating some key moments in our recent history which outraged the press at the time. It made me feel incredibly proud of this tiny little nation that has given so much to the world.

Those that missed it, when team GB came out it was off the scale. It ruled! They left a gap after all the other teams (it was like a gig before the main band come on) and then they swaggered out fronted by Sir Chris Hoy as they blasted out Heroes by Bowie. The whole place went nuts! It was one of those moments I will never forget. Ridiculously cool. Again, immense amounts of pride, hairs up on the back of the neck and a bit of a tear in the eye as watching it you I was just sat thinking, yeah, you nailed it.

Then after that for no apparent reason apart from its English and we can do it because we want to do it, they had the Arctic Monkeys rip though 'I Bet you Look Good On the Dancefloor' and a cover of 'Come Together'. I have to say I have a massive soft spot for them and when they started I thought it was Muse (as they did the theme song?) so was pleasantly surprised to see them doing there thing.

Then to finish off Sir Paul McCartney doing 'the end' and 'Hey Jude'. I think the best thing about the whole night was usually these things are so middle of the road (remember Diana Ross at the World Cup final?) and last night felt really young and exciting. Edgy I think is the word Im looking for, and I think that sums up the UK pretty well. Good job London.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Loved the doves on bicycles while the Arctic Monkeys did 'Come Together".....that was a beautiful visual.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:Loved the doves on bicycles while the Arctic Monkeys did 'Come Together".....that was a beautiful visual.
Yeah I really liked that. Very trippy. And the part with the 5 rings joining up was really well done, as was the actual torch lighting moment where the copper kettles sort of turned into petals on a giant flower.

When I went to bed my other half had turned the TV on and we ended up watching until almost the end of Hey Jude but then I started to find the arm waving anthemic approach a little corny. But it was one hell of a show. 7,500 volunteers as extras? That's pretty impressive.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Hazel Irvine calling an athlete 'shite' was hilarious.

And the introduction of the athletes seemed to resemble some kind of huge and bizarre Big Brother house party launch with all the competitors dressed as an air hostess or steward.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote: I found myself enjoying lots of it - quite a lot of decent music, albeit tiny sound-bytes. It felt odd, yet satisfying, to hear the Sex Pistols played as part of the musical celebration of Great Britain.

I gave up on the M's in the team introductions.
The Sex Pistols did not make the cut on US TV. I enjoyed most of it. Ironically , the lengthy intro of the athletes i s what kills it. And thats wat the Olympics are about.
I only made it through the C's, then fast forwarded through the lighting and Sir Paul(who still annoys me).
Danny Boyle did an amazing job. It shows Great Britain has a lot to be proud of. Especially the sense of humor and the music.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: The Sex Pistols did not make the cut on US TV. I enjoyed most of it. Ironically , the lengthy intro of the athletes i s what kills it. And thats wat the Olympics are about.
I only made it through the C's, then fast forwarded through the lighting and Sir Paul(who still annoys me).
Danny Boyle did an amazing job. It shows Great Britain has a lot to be proud of. Especially the sense of humor and the music.
Yea, they cut to a commercial after Queen and it sounded like "Pretty Vacant" (?) was queuing up. When they came back they were in the 80's. Fucking commercials.
spzretent wrote:Especially the sense of humor and the music.
Not to mention literature and science! I liked all the cast of characters from children's literature as creepy puppets. Kinda reminded me of the trial scene in "The Wall"
runcible wrote:as was the actual torch lighting moment where the copper kettles sort of turned into petals on a giant flower.
Yes! That was very impressive and when "Eclipse" by Pink Floyd played it was very poignant. Nice touch.

By the way, do you think the Queen EVER shows emotion? She seemed to have the same grumpy face all night.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

a fantastic spectacle,not normally one for opening ceremonies but that was something else ,moving ,funny and as Runcible said quite psychadelic surreal in places ,some fantastic music, the Fuck Buttons for her Majesty never saw that coming,bring on the sport now...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

We had a cocktail party for the ceremony and we all really enjoyed it too. Watched the
Swiss telecast which was great because they kept their mouths shut during the whole thing.
Underworld did a great job on the music and Mr. Boyle is a theatrical magician.

During the industrial revolution and when the rings came together I was literally in awe.

Well done.

M
Design.
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Great show.

I enjoyed the David Holmes track 'I Heard Wonders' that was playing when the torch was travelling up the Thames with David Beckham etc. Never heard it before. For some reason it isn't included in the 'Isles Of Wonder' album that has been released with a lot of the music from the night. Seems like a mistake to me. They could have included it instead of something more predictable like West End Girls or whatever.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The American public/media have been less kind about the Opening Ceremnoy. Some calling it "dark, dull and insular" (appealing/understood by only the British due to many cultural references). I think Americans tend to need the bombastic spectacle of Beijing and as this was creative, theatrical and young (as simonkeeping pointed out) it went over many people's heads over here. What a shame. I loved it.

I watched the lighting of the torch again and when 'Eclipse' came on and the huge firework display lit up the sky of east London it was very powerful.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Once again reinforcing those that expand their horizons and have a clue "got it" while the other 95% of the non passport holding dullards that inhabit this country didn't. NBC editing as they saw fit didn't help matters.
Kind of a mess over here. Only people in this country could take something as spectacular as those opening ceremonies and then try to "Americanize" it. Kind of missing the point completely.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Was out seeing the Inspiral Carpets on Friday night as partof my 40th birthday celebrations so only caught the end of the teams coming out. Managed to watch the whole of the opening ceremony this morning on my new I-pad (courtesy of the wonderful Mrs Shines :D ) and the pair of us were totally blown away by it. I really thought it was a magnificent spectical and I felt so proud and emotional. Totally different from previous opening ceremonies and so well thought out and put together. Congratulations to all involved. This has to go down as a massive success.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Congrats Shines :) . I only caught the odd bit on Friday night as was working but caught up on Saturday evening on Iplayer. It was really spectacular and a roaring success wasn't it? I must admit I was a little jealous of those there though. Like millions of others I had applied for the cheaper tickets but got nowhere. Seemed like the only way to get tickets for the top events was to go for the silly money tickets. Shame really.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Once again reinforcing those that expand their horizons and have a clue "got it" while the other 95% of the non passport holding dullards that inhabit this country didn't. NBC editing as they saw fit didn't help matters.
Kind of a mess over here.
Totally agree on both counts!

NBC really are horrific in their coverage. This pretty much sums it up: "30% commercials, 50% human interest stories, 15% reporters involved in various forms of self-indulgence, and 5% actual event coverage (all USA focused)".
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Here is the whole list of music played in the mix.

Captain Algernon Drummond, William Johnson Cory - Eton Boating Song
Elgar, AC Benson - Land of Hope and Glory
The Jam - Going Underground
Muse - Map of the Problematique
Big Ben Chimes
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
The Clash - London Calling
Simon May - EastEnders Theme
The Shipping Forecast
Sir Hubert Parry, William Blake - Jerusalem
Elgar - Nimrod
Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Eric Coates - Dambusters March
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks
Monty Norman - James Bond Theme
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mike Oldfield - In Dulci Jubilo
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire
BBC News 1954
Arthur Wood - The Archers Theme
Winifred Atwell - Black and White Rag
Sugababes - Push the Button
OMD - Enola Gay
David Rose - The Stripper
Lionel Bart - Food Glorious Food
Irwin Kostal, Richard Sherman, Robert Sherman - Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Rizzle Kicks - When I Was a Youngster
Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
Colin Tully - Gregorys Girl Theme
William Pitt - City Lights
The Who - My Generation
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night
The Beatles - She Loves You
Mud - Tiger Feet
Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot
The Specials - A Message to You Rudy
David Bowie - Starman
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
Duran Duran - The Reflex
New Order - Blue Monday
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Happy Mondays - Step On
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Prodigy - Firestarter
Underworld - Born Slippy
Jaan Kenbrovin, John William Kellette - Im Forever Blowing Bubbles
Blur - Song 2
Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers
Tigerstyle - Nacnha Onda Nei (contains Michael Jackson - Billie Jean, Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure and Ilaiyaraaja - Naanthaan Ungappanda)
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Radiohead - Creep
Muse - Uprising
Kano & Mikey J - Random Antics
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
MIA - Paper Planes
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanize
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
Roll Deep - Shake a Leg
Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Oasis - The Hindu Times
Oasis - Wonderwall
Emeli Sande - Heaven
William Monk/Henry Francis - Abide With Me
Pink Floyd - Eclipse
The Beatles - The End
The Beatles - Hey Jude
David Bowie - Heroes
Eric Spear - Coronation Street Theme
Ron Grainer - Doctor Who Theme
John Philip Sousa - Monty Python Theme/The Liberty Bell
David Bowie - Absolute Beginners

An amazing list of tunes.

B,

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

two Fuck Buttons tunes were also used ,Olympians obviously as well as a track by side project Blank Mass, :shock:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

No Pretty Things? :shock:

:wink:
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

David Holmes' I Heard Wonders was also played while Beckham was on the boat.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

niamhm wrote:two Fuck Buttons tunes were also used ,Olympians obviously as well as a track by side project Blank Mass, :shock:
Fuck Buttons' "Surf Solar" was the very first song played in the UK coverage - over the initial video segment before the live action started.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Great show spoiled by McCartney, is that really all we have got. Hey Jude soooooooooooooo predicatble :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

annoying isn't he?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This morning NBC's Today Show did a piece on East London: Shoreditch & Brick Lane. The backing music was Django Django. I was impressed. With the music mainly.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:This morning NBC's Today Show did a piece on East London: Shoreditch & Brick Lane. The backing music was Django Django. I was impressed. With the music mainly.
I heard Django Django's 'Default' in a shoe shop the other day and complimented the staff on it as I left.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Apparently they are more popular than I thought.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BVCP206 wrote:Great show spoiled by McCartney, is that really all we have got. Hey Jude soooooooooooooo predicatble :!:
like Gary Linekars advanced foot in mouth syndrome,reminding a medal winner tonight that her father had died earlier this year ,thanks for reminding me I`d almost forgot that, fud...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm sorry to keep grumbling about this but NBC's coverage is truly appalling and unacceptable. I watched the women's gymnastics and with exception to a couple of the Russian competitors on the apparatus you wouldn't have thought they had any competition. No footage of any other country. In between the gymnastics they kept flicking backwards to swimming simply because of Phelps, the relay team and the American female swimmers who are doing well. The only other comment they make about another country is the 16 year old Chinese swimmer who everybody is questioning because of her amazing speed in the final 50m. Occasionally they will show basketball highlights simply because they are all NBA stars. But, no footage at all of Zara getting a medal from her mother. I only knew about that because we skyped with my wife's family back in England.

This is truly appalling coverage made even worse with the thousands of commercials being rammed down our throats. Those of you in the UK with BBC...actually, probably all of you outside of the USA count yourselves fortunate not to have to watch this shambolic excuse for tv coverage. I am embarrassed and very ashamed that 1.2 billion dollars or whatever NBC paid to win the rights to the Olympics and this is what they give the American public. :evil:
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

niamhm wrote:two Fuck Buttons tunes were also used ,Olympians obviously as well as a track by side project Blank Mass, :shock:
Pretty sure I heard Rez by Underworld as well
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

better day for the Brits. couple of golds and a superb silver for Michael Jamieson who came from behind to set a UK record and narrowly lost by 0.015 to the Hungarian Gyurta who set a world record in the 200m Breast Stroke ,thrilling race.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You are supposed to write spoiler alert!
Nothing is shown live here.
Thanks to NBC.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:You are supposed to write spoiler alert!
Nothing is shown live here.
Thanks to NBC.
Well, it wouldn't matter anyway as NBC only show USA glory. :evil:

Well done Team GB!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

niamhm wrote:better day for the Brits. couple of golds and a superb silver
NBC showed the 200m Breaststroke but your two golds were reduced to a two minute side story on our tv (mainly about the cyclist who won the Tour and now Olympic gold). :oops:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, the US Olympic coverage has even been criticised over here. This article on The Guardian online mentions it along with the fact that many Americans couldn't understand why Abraham Lincoln featured so prominently in the opening ceremony?! :?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true

For such a highly developed country it never ceases to surprise me how insular so many Americans are.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well on the matter of poor coverage i gotta take umbrage w/the beeb's production.

i can get past the partisanship, the excessive focus on teamGB i understand & don't mind - it's actually nice to see the brits celebrate their athletes for a change!
BUT their coverage i think has been atrocious. on BBC1 it's a relentless series of talking heads w/very little footage of events (unless it's the final of a competition). while on the red button & bbc3 it's usually sports that get plenty of coverage even when the olympics aren't on - men's tennis ffs! field hockey/soccerball.
the breadth & variety of their footage & the depth & amount of it has been p poor imo.
they have totally ripped the piss outta their olympic studio on the bbc1. they spent most hours of the day talking in there, the same old jizzbombs about nearly-men & nobodies instead of showing events.

"having said that" it's nowhere near as ridiculous as NBC's coverage seems, & i have actually enjoyed the games. they've been good so far & conducted in a good atmosphere. tho that guy who got killed in a traffic accident did put a dampener on things somewhat..
Last edited by jack white on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shinesalight wrote:
For such a highly developed country it never ceases to surprise me how insular so many Americans are.
Try living here! Not only that but if one is lucky enough to travel abroad you are welcomed back by Homeland Security(formerly known as US Customs & Immigration) like you have done something wrong. You are assumed guilty of "something" until they are satisfied you are not. A Charming welcome home.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I only recently read that there was a segment in the Opening Ceremony that honored those killed in the tube bombings. NBC, however, decided it was too depressing so chose not to show it at all. Can you imagine if the tables were reversed? What if NYC hosted the games and BBC choose to censor a memorial to those killed in Sept. 11? Imagine the controversy. AND, why are NBC making decisions about what they think we can see and what we can't?

The broadcast of the Beijing Olympics were terrible and London has so far not been much better. Thankfully though it seems many others feel the same way and there are public protests about how bad the product is that NBC are giving the American public.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

NBC have been terrible. My brother borrowed a satellite dish to get the CBC coverage up in Canada which thankfully has been much better. The Swiss and German coverage has been quite good.

EDIT: Was on the site before your post Redcloud — that is completely un-called for and a terrible decision on NBC's side. I hope it backfires on them.

B,

M
Design.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

also: for some reason i find jonathan edwards & colin jackson two of the most unpalatable people. i dunno, it's prob me, but those two really just annoy the crap out of me.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:also: for some reason i find jonathan edwards & colin jackson two of the most unpalatable people. i dunno, it's prob me, but those two really just annoy the crap out of me.
Is Jackson the hurdler? I always liked him. Edwards is the triple jumper, right? I'm surprised he isn't still in the Olympics. Wasn't he like, 50, when he retired? <jk>

Medals are now beginning to stream in for Team GB. Good 'ol Bradley Wiggins has had a year to remember. Not sure how he can top this.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Any thoughts on Britain essentially cheating in the heats of the Cycling Team Sprint? Originally, one of the riders, Philip Hindes, said "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really."

A day later and he now claims that he just lost control of the bike. :roll: Meanwhile the propagandists say they were the words of someone who had only recently learned to speak English. Having heard the interview, frankly, that is complete and utter bollocks.

Only watched the time trial so far, Wiggins proving his class in that one. I keep missing the BMX and football. Looking forward to the track events this week and what Usain Bolt will do. Totally bonkers when you look at the World record he set of 9.58 seconds for the 100m and actually realise that he covers 10m in less than a second! :shock:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

sunray wrote:Any thoughts on Britain essentially cheating in the heats of the Cycling Team Sprint? Originally, one of the riders, Philip Hindes, said "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really."

A day later and he now claims that he just lost control of the bike. :roll: Meanwhile the propagandists say they were the words of someone who had only recently learned to speak English. Having heard the interview, frankly, that is complete and utter bollocks.

aye i saw that interview as well. it was funny when his teammates start laughing when he admits he forced the restart.

tbh tho i think it's fair enough. he's just taking advantage of the rules of the sport. people do it in other fields so why should he be castigated & singled out? it reminds me of that annoying catchphrase "don't hate the player, hate the game".
redcloud wrote:
jack white wrote:also: for some reason i find jonathan edwards & colin jackson two of the most unpalatable people. i dunno, it's prob me, but those two really just annoy the crap out of me.
Is Jackson the hurdler? I always liked him. Edwards is the triple jumper, right? I'm surprised he isn't still in the Olympics. Wasn't he like, 50, when he retired? <jk>

Medals are now beginning to stream in for Team GB. Good 'ol Bradley Wiggins has had a year to remember. Not sure how he can top this.
aye those two. shamefully i think it's edwards' religious beliefs that rub me the wrong way.
colin jackson i can't put my finger on. maybe it's cause he's so damn cheerful all the time!

wiggins is amazing.
one of the things i like about him is he looks like a guy you'd see at an Oasis or Noel Gallagher concert. what i mean is he doesn't conduct himself w/any put on airs or graces. he just strolls around like an average guy. like it's the most natural thing in the world. like it's just his job but he's really good at it. he doesn't grandstand or showboat, he just gets on w/it & shrugs off the hype & attention. he doesn't revel in it or seek it out. he's a model professional really.
of course i could be wrong & that's just the carefully constructed image he wants to project.. but it does seem like all he needs is his sport & his success & doesn't need the trappings of fame & publicity. or maybe he just hasn't had the time to build that profile w/the olympics coming on the back of the tour..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:he's just taking advantage of the rules of the sport. people do it in other fields so why should he be castigated & singled out? it reminds me of that annoying catchphrase "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Is that not the same annoying philosophy and tactics the Italians/Portuguese etc. use when they dive/flop in soccer?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well i'm a big fan of italian football culture so... ;)

& hey, the brits & the rest can dive & play-act just as well as the rest.

but yea, you gotta play to the limits of the game sometimes to get whatever advantage you can.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

redcloud wrote:
jack white wrote:he's just taking advantage of the rules of the sport. people do it in other fields so why should he be castigated & singled out? it reminds me of that annoying catchphrase "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Is that not the same annoying philosophy and tactics the Italians/Portuguese etc. use when they dive/flop in soccer?
probably not very fair to call out the above countries, as its rampent in every top league and has been for quite a while,however much we are appalled by the most blatant/shameless examples :(
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here is a prime example of just how stupid NBC is. They just keep doing things that are so moronic and embarassing.
How does this get by all the people who work at the network.
Shameful.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/0 ... d%3D188288
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Holy shit @ ^

Onto my favourite part of the games along w/the weight lifting & gymnastics, the field competitions. Especially like the women's discus & shot-putts! :shock:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Womens track & field outfits are getting smaller and smaller ,by Rio in 4 yrs. they`ll be running in bikinis ffs,
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

18 gold medals.

Never see the like of it again.

Ok it's swimming, he has more races to compete in than others. But fucking hell that's just ridiculous.

gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Those long-jumpers to a man seemed like total dickheads. The American claye praying to God then huffing w/Him after he only got 2nd & the arrogant celebration of Rutherford, wanker.

Jessica Ennis conducted herself brilliantly. A great champion.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

jack white wrote:Those long-jumpers to a man seemed like total dickheads. The American claye praying to God then huffing w/Him after he only got 2nd & the arrogant celebration of Rutherford, wanker.

Jessica Ennis conducted herself brilliantly. A great champion.
not sure where your coming from Jack concerning Rutherford ,but fuck me that was some last hour of sport ,Rutherford,Eniss & Farah ... breath taking stuff ,sitting here a smile a mile wide and proud as chuff,Farahs last 800m ,brilliant,Ennis last 200m ,falling behind and then powering through ,awesome :D
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

niamhm wrote: not sure where your coming from Jack concerning Rutherford ,but fuck me that was some last hour of sport ,Rutherford,Eniss & Farah ... breath taking stuff ,sitting here a smile a mile wide and proud as chuff,Farahs last 800m ,brilliant,Ennis last 200m ,falling behind and then powering through ,awesome :D
Well, thanks to the internet and banner headlines I know it was a good night for Team GB but.....but thanks to NBC's tape delay for the main games we wont see any of this until 8:00 over here on the West Coast. :roll: Can I state one more time just how much NBC sucks?!

We also went bowling today for my son's birthday and they had Olympics on one of the screens. While they showed no Track and Field (NBC want the ratings so will only show them on tape delay later tonight) we did see much of the second half of the GB v Australia basketball game. GB were leading Australia 51-36 in the 3rd. Yet, somehow GB had a complete melt down and were only able to score 20 more points and conceded 70 in the second half alone! :shock:

Also saw the ET & PK's of the GB v SK soccer in Cardiff. The dreaded PK, yet again...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went up to Hyde Park yesterday to watch a bit of the women's triathlon and then went into the arena they've set up (the same setup they have for the big gigs there) where they were showing different Olympic events on five massive screens. Really felt part of it all for the first time. It was great watching Team GB win 2 rowing golds and a silver with so many other cheering fans. Then, to top it all, they brought out Bradley Wiggins and the crowd went mental. 8) :D

Can't believe how well the British team is doing. If the medal table was displayed on a per capita basis I think we would be putting China and the USA to shame.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The tennis was shown live here. Just watched the third set. Good for Murray. I must admit I felt really bad for him after he lost Wimbledon. His post game interview was desperately sad. Glad he got his redemption and at Wimbledon no less.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That was story book stuff. Excellent!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:
If the medal table was displayed on a per capita basis I think we would be putting China and the USA to shame.
If it went on a per capita basis every nation would be putting China to shame. Especially Jamaica - a country that has less people than the state of Oregon.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

niamhm wrote: breath taking stuff ,sitting here a smile a mile wide and proud as chuff,Farahs last 800m ,brilliant,Ennis last 200m ,falling behind and then powering through ,awesome :D

yep. really incredible, exciting & wonderful drama. sport at it's very best.

the way farah broke off from the pack at the last 800m & then somehow managed to hold off the challengers w/what looked relative ease was absolutely amazing. it still beggars belief.
& yea the way ennis finished was equally as wonderful. truly a brilliant moment. she was just brilliant. like i say a great champion the way she ran it.

but the big one is tonight. for all the scaremongering about his form & the hype about blake, bolt looked hilariously nonchalant in his semi-final 100m heat.
suppose we'd been waiting for a sign that he was still the same guy as four years ago & it looks like he is. really looking forward to it that final now.
i only hope he sprints & runs the whole 100m w/o slowing up! that does my head in. why do they not sprint thru the finish line?! i understand the theory that 'the race is already over' for bolt, but he should be racing himself & his own time. & it's the same w/all them - asafa powell seemed to pull up in his hat & only came 3rd...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:
niamhm wrote: breath taking stuff ,sitting here a smile a mile wide and proud as chuff,Farahs last 800m ,brilliant,Ennis last 200m ,falling behind and then powering through ,awesome :D

yep. really incredible, exciting & wonderful drama. sport at it's very best.

the way farah broke off from the pack at the last 800m & then somehow managed to hold off the challengers w/what looked relative ease was absolutely amazing. it still beggars belief.
Small minor bit of trivia....Farah trained for the Olympics in Eugene, Oregon with his very good friend, and silver medalist, Galen Rupp (who was hugging Farah after the race). Galen was born and raised (and still lives) in Portland, Oregon. So, Portland took great pride in that race too and it made our local headlines. :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Let's continue the NBC-Shitfest! Did anybody see the last ten minutes of coverage tonight - sure it's at the end of the night when not as many people are watching but... Bob Costa's interview with Missy Franklin was one of the most inane pieces of crap ever. Just saying.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:Let's continue the NBC-Shitfest!
Or how about the NBC commentators during the Women's Gymnastic Vault final? They kept hyping MaKayla Maroney as easily being able to win the competition. She is obviously brilliant at the event as during the Team finals she was excellent. But, they went as far as saying "even on a bad day Maroney will easily soar to gold". Maroney then goes and falls on her second jump and the final competitor from Romania does two perfect vaults winning the gold and dropping Maroney to silver.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Anthony Agogo pushing on for a meddle in the boxing ,well done ,well, done ,bronze at least ,go for it now!!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Woooo Felix Sanchez, the guy who won the 400 Hurdles (also won gold in 2004), coaches track at my high school. Getting to watch that was pretty special. One of my friends who just graduated actually ran the 400 hurdles (meaning Felix was his main coach), so he is pretty hyped right now. Some more people from my school are coming up in the next few days, pretty amped on that.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:Woooo Felix Sanchez, the guy who won the 400 Hurdles (also won gold in 2004), coaches track at my high school. Getting to watch that was pretty special.
That's very cool! Hats off to him and excellent for your school program (coach with 2 Olympic golds! Did he place in '08?).
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

He didn't place in 08 - I'm not sure if he even competed. My school's track program is off the chart - another one of the coaches won gold in the women's 100 hurdles in Athens, and two girls who just graduated were at the trials for the team this year (they didn't make it, but I'd be willing to bet money that you will see one of either Amy or Cami on the podium in Rio). We also had a kid on the US crew team (class of '05), a girl on the NZ soccer team ('06) (they got eliminated by the US), a guy on the water polo team (Peter Hudnut '99, also the son of my school's headmaster... won Silver with the team in Beijing), as well as Dara Torres '85 (okay, she's not on the team right now, but she competed in what, five Olympics? And her first one was when they were still for amateurs and she was still a student at my school). Maybe none of them are actually current students, but it's still sweet that they came from my school :) . There's more too I think that I just can't remember at this late hour.

It is pretty weird though thinking about the fact that there are now lots of Olympians that are either younger than I am or are around the same age. I'm so inadequate guys, I'm 17 and I haven't even won an Olympic medal!!! :lol: