Football - funny and not so funny...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Football - funny and not so funny...

Post by runcible »

I don't know if anyone else watched the farcical wash-out that took place in Poland last night. What was initially disappointment led to morbid fascination as FIFA and the Polish authorities dawdled like never before about whether a football match could take place in a large paddling pool. I became engrossed in the ludicrous spectacle of the referee throwing the ball into various puddles to see if the pitch was playable. It was hilarious and ITV's pundit team added surprisingly funny comments throughout. What a joke - except thousands of people had to wait over an hour to discover the game was off.

The other side of the coin came in the England under-21 game in Serbia. The racist incidents in that match are so deplorable it seems incredible they are still part of the game in some countries. The Serbian FA's rebuttal of the incident is so vulgar and crass I, and I am sure many others, are speechless. All the clips I saw - from the warm-up to the aftermath - were accompanied by monkey chants, yet the Serbian FA say no racism took place and blamed Danny Rose, the black English player who suffered most of the abuse, for the trouble. Talk about denial. If that's what they think there is no hope in eradicating racism at football matches in countries where it is still a big problem. I see 3 obvious bad things. Firstly racism of any kind is disgusting and what happened in unacceptable. Secondly it lets down all the decent Serbian supporters who just wanted to watch the game. Thirdly it ruins the match. Yet UEFA and FIFA will side-step the issue as they always do and every opportunity to create a major precedent - as they should here - is ignored. Breaking rules and showing a sponsors name on your shorts is a far worse offence (see the Euros and Bendtner) than allowing your supporters to be openly racist. I really despair.

Today's pathetic performance from England was painful to watch. The tactic of stroking the ball between defenders and defending midfielders is OK if you are Spain and can occasionally break away and create something, but if all you do is lose the ball 9 times out of 10 why continue it? A 1-1 draw was the least we deserved after that.
jack white
Known user

Re: Football - funny and not so funny...

Post by jack white »

re: Poland game. i thought that was depressing. just another small example of the ineptitude & idiots who get jobs in tops roles in football. close the fucking roof when it's sunny, open it when it's raining. i dunno, it's preposterous. even fucking cavemen knew how to take shelter. but suddenly we've evolved so far that somehow it makes sense to open the roof when it rains & close it when it's sunny? i think i've missed a stepped or two on the evolutionary ladder.

& as far as UEFA & FIFA? jeez. just corrupt institutions fronted by people lining their own pockets without a care for the social responsibility football carries. they're just bad, nasty, selfish people. it's a shame they're involved in sport - & it's not like they the only corrupt governing bodies in sport.

i dunno. this week has just been bad for football, for me.
in terms of the football England were strange - i think hodgson got a few selection choices wrong & really some of the players just aren't good enough, & those that are good enough are maybe too arrogant (Hart especially). Poland are a decent team tho & a point there is a point gained really.

in terms of the Republic of Ireland & O'Trap, it's been crazy. it's actually one of the few healthy debates in the game this week: on one side you've got to admit Trap does get results - he's only lost TWO qualifying games during his tenure & he's taken the Republic to the brink of qualifying for the WC & then taken them to the Euro's; on the other side he hasn't blooded in the new players, he hasn't beaten anyone ranked above his team, his relationship w/the players & fans is terrible, he contradicts himself (he says he doesn't have players playing Premiership football, when he does he just doesn't pick them - darren o'dea/ciaran clarke for example) & really doesn't seem as committed from the outside as he could be in maintaining relationships & scouting players.
& Irish football risks being damaged one way or the other - Trap can still take them to Brasil '14, but the manner he does so is turning away supporters & players.

you haven't been watching that show, Being Liverpool?
i found it to be quite rubbish. wtf do i need to know about jay spearings partner & daughter for, y'know? but seeing Liverpool fail is still p sweet at the end of the day! :p

Leeds/Wednesday tomorrow night. big chance for Leeds to continue their decent start to the season & really push on now..
Last edited by jack white on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:re: Poland game. i thought that was depressing. just another small example of the ineptitude & idiots who get jobs in tops roles in football. close the fucking roof when it's sunny, open it when it's raining. i dunno, it's preposterous. even fucking cavemen knew how to take shelter. but suddenly we've evolved so far that somehow it makes sense to open the roof when it rains & close it when it's sunny? i think i've missed a stepped or two on the evolutionary ladder.
I didn't see the game so I don't know what happened but can pretty much assume the weather was piss poor and they didn't close the roof?

There is a debate about this very thing going on in the US regarding American football stadiums. The Super Bowl is always played in end of Jan/early Feb and is traditionally played in a warm city/state in a domed stadium. To have more options, however, they are now considering cities like Detroit, Cleveland, New York, Pittsburgh etc. to host a Super Bowl in the future. These cities are notoriously cold at that time of year and would need domed stadiums. Detroit already has one so they are ahead of the game. But, the owner of the Browns over in Cleveland is currently discussing putting a roof on Cleveland Stadium. The problem are the fans who love the tradition of opponents struggling to play in Cleveland during the winter. The advantage immediately goes to the home team and the tradition of cold, windy, snowy games by the lake (dating back to the 30's) is very much a part of the team's identity. So, it is a touchy subject amongst fans. I for one would like Cleveland Stadium to remain as is (without a roof).

Not sure how similar this is with what happened in Poland...but thought I'd share.
but seeing Liverpool fail is still p sweet at the end of the day! :p
Different sport but I have the exact same feeling when I see Pittsburgh or Baltimore lose.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well speaking of morons..
if anyone missed it, a leeds supporter assaulted the sheffield wednesday keeper tonight.

absolutely astonishing. it was a good game on the pitch, a hard fought derby. but then this one prat ruined it w/abhorrent behaviour. unbelievable.

i'm still in shock about it actually. thankfully the tv camera's caught the guy & follwed him into the crowd so he'll be identified & prosecuted. but still, it's fucking ridiculous. i can't understand how anyone can do that.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I just saw that. Despicable stuff. Word is this moron - he's already been named on the web - has history of hooliganism. Total wanker. Feels pretty low to be a Leeds fan right now.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote: you haven't been watching that show, Being Liverpool?
It's toe curling wank. I'd be astonished that the club agreed to do it, then I remember that the club is run by know-nothing chancers and it all becomes clearer.
I've stumbled into a couple of times and had to switch it off within minutes. But it's not been made for me - it's been made for kids and for a new fanbase in some far away shores, people who will never set foot inside Anfield.
Anyone with a scouse accent is accompanied by subtitles!
And Rodgers is coming across as a footballing David Brent. Which he probably is.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is pretty appalling. Especially as he hit a player, which makes it different from just some idiot running onto the pitch acting like a loser. I can't imagine this type of incident happening over here. But then again, we did have this beauty in Cleveland a few years ago (he doesn't hit anybody...in fact, it is the fan who gets the rough end by the players). As a Browns fan I too was embarrassed and feel he deserves what he got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3xNSiRTDc

(apologies for the silly format of the video...this is arguably the best of the ridiculous "fan" videos up there on the incident):
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I find it amazing that they haven't caught this tosser yet. He somehow evaded arrest despite being inside the ground. I really hope they stick it to him and manage to lock him up. Actually catching a perpetrator red-handed would be pretty satisfying and that guys deserves being made an example of.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

jailed for four months.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:jailed for four months.
He got off lightly then.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea i think so.
dunno quite what he was charged w/tho? maybe if kirkland presses charges the sentence could be increased?? i dunno but it does seem a little light, especially given the fact he was meant to be banned from attending the game in the first place.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Is running onto a football pitch a criminal offence? I thought it was but I may be wrong.

I kind of hoped a bigger example would be made of him. I also hope the Leeds fans might start a few chants against him at future games.

Dave Jones' comments haven't been constructive. Not all Leeds fans are 'vile animals' although the guy who ran on was, as are the idiots who chanted at him. But a friend pointed out to me that DJ didn't say anything about Cardiff fans waving Turkish flags at Leeds fans when he was manager there.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

KingHarry wrote:
jack white wrote: you haven't been watching that show, Being Liverpool?
It's toe curling wank. I'd be astonished that the club agreed to do it, then I remember that the club is run by know-nothing chancers and it all becomes clearer.
I've stumbled into a couple of times and had to switch it off within minutes. But it's not been made for me - it's been made for kids and for a new fanbase in some far away shores, people who will never set foot inside Anfield.
And Rodgers is coming across as a footballing David Brent. Which he probably is.
I think the show is hysterical.

I'm an Evertonian.

Rogers is a f***ing bulb who's way out of his depth and believes his own press. He thinks he's the reincarnation of Shankly or something. It's risible.

On next weeks show: Brentdan blows the January transfer budget replacing the "This is Anfield" sign with a huge self-portrait.,

They'll still win the derby on Saturday, mind.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Speaking of slightly oddball football stuff... Tonight I went to a charity match at Doncaster Rovers put on by One Direction's Louis Tomlinson who was playing for his pub team The Three Horseshoes. My kids are obsessed with 1D so pleaded with me to go. Tickets were remarkably cheap - £5 for adults, £3 for under 17s - and it was for a good cause (Bluebell Wood) so we went. I have never witnessed screaming like there was at that game - it was about 1/2 to 2/3 full and almost all teenage girls who screamed until their lungs hurt. Every time Louis himself touched the ball the place was drenched in high-pitched shrieks. The girls sitting behind us sounded like they were witnessing murder it was so piercingly loud. The really weird part is that almost no one was there for the actual football so when the Horseshoes scored there was near silence as people only screamed when Louis had the ball or one of the 1D boys - who were standing on the touchline - jumped about. Donny Rovers had a few famous names playing - Robbie Fowler, Dean Saunders, Dean Windass - which was fun.

To my surprise the pub team won 2-1 although it was a very laid back game. The lap of honour at the end was one of the loudest experiences of my whole life as the throng of girls went bonkers and screamed even more than before. My ears are ringing like I've been to see Motorhead, but my kids are smiling all over as they loved it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

robbie fowler & dean saunders? that's a GREAT forward line!
runcible wrote: Dave Jones' comments haven't been constructive. Not all Leeds fans are 'vile animals' although the guy who ran on was, as are the idiots who chanted at him. But a friend pointed out to me that DJ didn't say anything about Cardiff fans waving Turkish flags at Leeds fans when he was manager there.

i find this kinda attitude depressingly typical. managers usually turn a blind eye to their own supports misdeeds. there's no doubt there was nasty chanting by both sets of supporters last week.
& it was even more unfortunate the bad behaviour spilled onto the pitch & resulted in the assault.

on topic of aaron crowleys sentence, it's been said elsewhere but the guy who interrupted the Oxford/Cambridge boat race got 6months. this guy crowley has been treated far too leniently in comparison.

KingHarry wrote:But it's not been made for me - it's been made for kids and for a new fanbase in some far away shores, people who will never set foot inside Anfield.
that sums it up exactly.
it reminded me of that VH1 Behind the Music show about Oasis & they had to put subtitles on it as well.

it is p embarrassing for the club & rogers hasn't come out of it well.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:robbie fowler & dean saunders? that's a GREAT forward line!
runcible wrote: Dave Jones' comments haven't been constructive. Not all Leeds fans are 'vile animals' although the guy who ran on was, as are the idiots who chanted at him. But a friend pointed out to me that DJ didn't say anything about Cardiff fans waving Turkish flags at Leeds fans when he was manager there.

i find this kinda attitude depressingly typical. managers usually turn a blind eye to their own supports misdeeds. there's no doubt there was nasty chanting by both sets of supporters last week.
& it was even more unfortunate the bad behaviour spilled onto the pitch & resulted in the assault.

on topic of aaron crowleys sentence, it's been said elsewhere but the guy who interrupted the Oxford/Cambridge boat race got 6months. this guy crowley has been treated far too leniently in comparison.
Agreed on all points. I hate that nutters mob Leeds have who follow them everywhere. There are enough decent and dedicated fans in the huge crowd that support them home and away without this small but unfortunately significant number being dickheads. But DJ and Leeds fans have had a simmering hatred for a while and, without condoning the disgusting chants levelled at him, he obviously saw this as a chance to vent his anger towards them. He's apologised a little, albeit mildly, since. Too late - next time he faces a Leeds crowd the chants will be worse and the whole thing will simmer a little more.

That's a very good comparison with the boat race. That guy had a reason to do what he did despite it being idiotic. Aaron Cawley (Crowley? Cawley?) had none and was being what he is - a violent, drunken hooligan.

Oh, Fowler and Saunders didn't do a great deal. But then the whole game was played an such a slow tempo the accent was on making Louis Tomlinson look good - and despite my not being a 1D fan he did a really good thing last night for his pub team and his charity. So he's a good guy in my book (I just wish I could persuade my kids to listen to something else!).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

lol, crowley? wtf? :?

aye yea dave jones has made it worse. that doesn't excuse "nutters mob", of course.

leeds are at home to charlton tonight. winning 1-0 atm.
got a new song also:
we shout, we chant, we knock your keeper out, we're leeds utd
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

It should be noted that Kirkland milked it. Wasn't as if he was sparked out - just a bit of fanny shove really.

I'm not being completely serious btw - mind, judging by his injury record whilst he was at LFC, I'd suggest he's likely to be out for the season.

Like when De Canio pushed that ref over - the ref should have booked himself for simulation.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Zlatan.

he owns the funny side of football.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

jack white wrote:Zlatan.

he owns the funny side of football.
Upon signing for PSG, Zlatan was asked “Do you know much about Ligue 1 or the players here?” – “It’s true I don’t know that much about the players here in Ligue 1, but they definitely know who I am.”

Again, upon signing for PSG – “This is another step in my career, another dream that has come true. This has been a massive thing in the media, people chasing me in my home. This is not normal, I will chase them back.”

When asked if he had found a house in Paris yet – “We are looking for an apartment. If we don’t find anything, then I’ll probably just buy the hotel.”

When asked about Balotelli – “I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

When asked which other sportsman he would compare himself to – “I’m like Muhammed Ali. When he said he would knock someone out in the fourth round, he did it.”

When asked what his ‘style’ of football was – “Zlatan-style.”

When asked why he had scratches on his face after a game – “Well…I don’t know… you’ll have to ask your wife about that.”

In response to a reporter who asked “is it possible for Ajax to drop nine points in nine games?” – “According to my calculations it’s possible to drop nine points in only three games.”

When asked what he got his wife for her birthday – “”Nothing, she already has Zlatan.”

When asked “Who is the best looking woman in the world?” – “I don’t know, but when I find her I will date her.”

In response to Arsene Wenger asking him to play a trial game before signing for Arsenal – “Zlatan doesn’t do auditions.”

A female reporter joked that Zlatan was gay due to a photo of him hugging Pique. He replied – “Come to my house and you’ll see if I’m gay. And bring your sister.”

Zlatan’s greatest quotes part 2: Quotes from his book “I am Zlatan”.

“You bought a Ferrari but drive me like a Fiat.”

“I barely yelled at my teammates any more. Something had happened, nothing serious, not yet, but still. I became quiet and that’s lethal, believe me. I have to be angry to play well. I have to scream and shout.”

“It was David Trezeguet’s fault. He made me do one drink of vodka after another. I slept in the bathtub. Now I hold my vodka much better.”

“Messi is awesome. He’s unbelievable, but we are totally different. He came to Barça as a 13-year old. He’s raised in that culture and has no problems with that ‘school’ ****. In the team, the play is based around him pretty naturally. He’s brilliant, but then I arrived and scored more goals than him.”

“Guardiola started his philosopher thing. I was barely listening. Why would I? It was advanced bull**** about blood, sweat and tears, that kind of stuff.”

“An injured Zlatan is a pretty serious thing for any team.”

“At Barca, players were banned from driving their sports cars to training. I thought this was ridiculous – it was no one’s business what car I drive – so in April, before a match with Almeria, I drove my Ferrari Enzo to work. It caused a scene.”

“Jose Mourinho is cool. The first time he met my wife he said “Helena, you have only one mission. Feed Zlatan, let him sleep, keep him happy!” The guy says what he wants. I like him.”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

a young zlatan when he skinned liverpools stephane henchoz: "First I went left & he did too. Then I went right & he did too. Then i headed left & he went out to buy a hotdog."

on john carew: "what carew can do with a football, i can do with an orange."
gonna burn brightly
for a while