Hurricane Sandy

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Hurricane Sandy

Post by spzretent »

In Michigan we are just getting the outer edges of the wind. No rain yet. I cant imagine what being in the center of this storm is like. Wind has been ferocious around here all day.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jadams501
Known user

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by jadams501 »

I'm in New York, not at the center exactly but the wind is outrageous. Trees down, cars smashed, and the constant ominous threat of losing power. Haven't been listening to any music because the power of the wind is wondrous, but Dylan's "High Water Everywhere" has been playing in my head.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I'm just outside Philly and it's been nasty here for the past 36 hours. The center of the storm is getting close to our area now with some really intense wind bursts going on as I write this. Just keeping my fingers crossed we don't lose power or even worse that the huge tree outside our house doesn't come crashing through our bedroom window later tonight...think we'll sleep downstairs. Although we haven't had the rain totals like Delaware and South Jersey, it is still pretty surreal.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Watching from 3000 miles away on the west coast and wishing all of you on the eastern seaboard well. Take care of yourselves, your family, your friends, your neighbors and your pets!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Minky wrote:The center of the storm is getting close to our area now with some really intense wind bursts going on as I write this. Just keeping my fingers crossed we don't lose power or even worse that the huge tree outside our house doesn't come crashing through our bedroom window later tonight...think we'll sleep downstairs..
The GF and I moved our couches away from windows and have been prepared to huddle in a closet if necessary, but it seems that things are dying down now. Still enough damage to keep us out of work for several days, and perhaps we'll be down to canned beans and peanut butter in a few days, but it seems that the threat of Grievous Bodily Harm is dwindling. Happily we still have power as well.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:Watching from 3000 miles away on the west coast and wishing all of you on the eastern seaboard well. Take care of yourselves, your family, your friends, your neighbors and your pets!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The footage of this storm is devastating. I dont ever remember anything like this. Katrina, as bad as that was, was confined to a much smaller and less populated area. And then came the incompetency. And this idiot, the poster child for not reacting, says the President acted "too quickly" with regards to Hurricane Sandy. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ex- ... 03013.html.
I'm speechless.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Unbelievable pictures and video coming from the storm. Nature's fury is simply awesome, yet horrifying and really puts everything into perspective with just how small and irrelevant we are.

Hoping all is well with our forum peeps in the east.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:Nature's fury is simply awesome, yet horrifying and really puts everything into perspective with just how small and irrelevant we are.
Man, I was thinking about that when I was trying to go to sleep, which didn't happen until it calmed down enough outside around daylight (which felt like forever). Thankfully though we didn't have any issues. It rained a ton but the wind was the real threat for us, tons of downed trees in our area. Such a big and slow moving storm it felt like it never was going to leave...still shitty outside.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

redcloud wrote:Nature's fury is simply awesome, yet horrifying and really puts everything into perspective with just how small and irrelevant we are.

Hoping all is well with our forum peeps in the east.
Seconded...
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What he said.
superdupershonn
New user

Post by superdupershonn »

Holy hell! Just moved to Pittsburgh and what a welcome that was. Rain/sleet/snow all in one go. Howling winds and all.

INTENSE indeed!

Even with the "superstorm" I still have fallen head over heels for Pittsburgh, what a cool (albeit wet) old city.

Off to see Fuxa play tonite for a mere $6...this would never happen back home on the west coast!!!

me.

p/s- good to see some of yins are still haunting this message board from back in the day. Sorry about 'dem Tigers mr. retent!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its been so long are you talking about 2006 or this year? :wink:
Welcome to the eastern time zone.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

superdupershonn wrote:
Even with the "superstorm" I still have fallen head over heels for Pittsburgh, what a cool (albeit wet) old city.
Wait until the winters. You'll be in for a shock!

I've only been to Pittsburgh once and it was for a Grateful Dead show. 1986 or 1987 maybe? Can't remember. We rolled into town having seen them at various outdoor venues and there was some obvious inner city tension at the Pittsburgh gig and some heads cars were stolen. But, I liked the city. Shame about their football team though. :wink:
superdupershonn
New user

Post by superdupershonn »

haha retent, it's been ages hasn't it. I sorta fell off of the map after abeautifulnoise broke up. Ended up in Pittsburgh where my better half is from.

FYI I will be releasing some of my solo/new project music in the months to come, will promise to post here first.

p/s- retent, my mom is getting really up there in age, she's been a Tigers fan since she could walk (we're talking over 75 years!) i was completely gutted when they got blanked. Hey at least they made it, pride in that.

As for the Steelers (shhh, don't tell anyone but i can't stand football, well not at least the version we play on this continent!). But i will say this town bleeds black and gold, no doubt about it.

again, great to see alot of familiar uhh faces, what about the legendary $26???

me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think Pittsburgh is a fantastic city. Warhol museum, Pirates, good beer bars, Love the way when you enter the city you see it nestled amongst the bridges and rivers.
Hopefully one of these days the Tigers will finish the deal and win a World Series.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fucking hell - Shonn's back on the board! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Welcome back buddy! :D

(Sorry to hear the band broke up - loved the EP you guys did...)
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Hurricane Sandy- RED CROSS $$$$$$

Post by semisynthetic »

I would like to politely urge everyone who can lick a stamp and get a money order, to send it to the RED CROSS.

I gave a bit, everyone can send something; those poor Yankees are in a terrible fix, and I didn't wait for FEMA before getting a Bank Draft off to the Red Cross and a couple more agencies.

Please give; with the advent of winter, Americans will die, little children and the aged, the infirm and disillusioned need help.

Don't wait for the "Government" to save people; help them now. If you sent already, send a little more.

Have a GREAT WEEK.
semisynthetic.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Just chatted to a friend and realised that the situation is much worse than i thought. I know from experience how much fun the 'no gas, electricity, water' situation is, but when you add to that looting, stealing and violence it's really no joke. best of luck to anyone affected by it..
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very pleased that 3 semi-truck trailors full of generators, emergency food rations, and items specifically for children and the elderly have reached the mess Sandy made; 3 more trucks leave Friday; I have very few friends in the worst hit areas; but they are still Americans, and need help NOW. SNOW is coming. Do whatever YOU can do; it is the kind, right thing to do.

It is cold there and incredibly sad; but fortunately the Citizenry care enough to HURRY; FEMA should arrive any week now..............

Now that the elections is over, dare I hope that the "government" will hop to it?
Maybe a slow crawl.......
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus