What did Santa bring you?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

What did Santa bring you?

Post by spzretent »

I am curious. Lots of mentions about what was on many of your Christmas lists. Wondering what the big man delivered.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Re: What did Santa bring you?

Post by olan »

A little girl for my neighbour. She went into labour just before midday as my wife handed her an OJ and has just qualified for a "push present" (shudder) on top of her Xmas present.......damn quick work for a firstie!

Me, I got the usual; music, indigestion and the makings of a whopping hangover. Brilliant day with the kids too!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I get a day to lounge around.
For Hanukkah we had a grab bag and my cousin bought me a tray of 12 massive burritos from this amazing Mexican restaurant in East Lansing Michigan called El Azteco along with a bag of chips and salsa and a t shirt. Defrosting 1 1/2 burritos as I type. I have taken a few people on here to that restaurant. Runcible, Domearworm to name a few.
Best gift in years.

This is a slippery slope the being on line all day out of boredom. Spending some cash.
I have bought two LPs by The Young Sinclairs and a mini LP sleeve US promo cd by The Lovetones. Good thing is this was all bought for less than $35 and that includes postage. Thrifty shopping!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Pile of CDs... 2 Carlton Melton, 2 Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Moon Duo's latest and another which escapes me right now
Lots of beer and bottle of Jack Daniels Honey Liqueur (which i'm sampling now!)
Vox AC30 Amplug mini amp and a lovely set of Superlux HD669 Closed headphones to plug into it

Had a great day with the wife and kids and off to my parents tomorrow for turkey feast #2!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

MC5 - Kick out the jams LP (Rhino ltd re-press)
Pulp - His n Hers 2LP (music on vinyl repress with bonus material)
Kraftwerk - Tour De France 2LP (Kling Klang remaster)
Sylvie Simons - I'm Your Man : The life of leonard cohen BOOK

All off my better half.

Not much else in the way of interest. Jumper and socks and that easy stuff. Some kraftwerk coasters off my sis! Few beers too. A bag, really needed a bag.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

From my wife, kids and folks:

Country Weather - LP (RD Records release of later SF acid rock band - collects all their recorded bits and bobs + live stuff '68-70).
Homer - LP (reissue of rare 60's Texan band. Great album. Only had a CD-R of this gem. Nice to finally get the real deal).
A new hat to keep my head dry from Oct - June and protected from the sun from July - Sept.
A bottle of McLaren Scotch
Tickets to see the Portland Trailblazers vs Philadelphia 76ers (Dec 29).

But, more importantly a lovely day spent with my family. It poured all day long and well into the evening so we didn't get out for a walk. But, we cooked roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, stuffing, veggies and a home made blueberry pie. Then spent three hours eating, drinking and talking with my kids and my parents. After washing up we made a fire, played board games and snacked on some lovely cheeses (with some beautiful Oregon Pinot Noir).

Very nice.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

so 3 days before Christmas, we heard a tiny mewing under our back deck (almost 2 years to the day, this same thing happened and we ended up with our now 2 year old Maine Coon, Scamper). It's been bitter cold out, so I used a can of tuna and the little guy finally came out into view and within minutes was in my arms. We welcomed Puck to our family on Christmas eve. The immediate family is now Scamper, 8 week old Puck, and two English Mastiff/Great Danes Melvin and Mazzy. Here's Puck
Attachments
Puck 2.jpg
Puck 2.jpg (48.64 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
I think I feel it coming on
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pick of the crop would be:
Big biker boots
Major book on wine grapes
Really cool shirt
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I did pretty well actually:-

Rega RP1 performance pack & Neil Young's Pstchedelic Pill on triple vinyl from Mrs Shines :D

Tame Impala's Lonerism and Cheval Sombre's Mad Love (both on vinyl) from Mum and Dad :D
James T wrote:MC5 - Kick out the jams LP (Rhino ltd re-press)
this along with an MC5 t-shirt off of my girlfriend's brother :D 8)

Vouchers and cash which I may or not use to upgrade my speakers. At the very least I'll be buying some more vinyl tomorrow :D

All in all, a really good Xmas. But the best pressie is yet to come, with our baby due this time next week :D 8) :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote: this along with an MC5 t-shirt off of my girlfriend's brother :D 8)
Just the other day my kids were watching a 'Friends' rerun and my son shouts "Daddy look, Rachel (Jennifer Anison) is wearing an MC5 shirt". Sure enough, she had a t-shirt with Grimshaw's white panther poster for the Straight Theatre. There was one thing missing on her shirt though...there was no pot leaf in between the panther's wings!

My son thought Aniston immediately gained instant street cred. But, I broke the news to him that she most likely has no idea who the 5 were or what they represented. The costume designer may have or he/she just grabbed a vintage rock shirt, which were pretty popular in the 90's and dressed her in it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill and the new Tim Burgess album, both on vinyl. Also scored a gift certificate ot Three Floyds Brewing, which is awesome. Now to find to to enjoy them. I'm back at work and it's insanity here. I did manage to get the Burgess album, which came with a cd copy, uploaded and into my iPod. Sounded wonderful this morning. Production by Mark Nevers, who does all of Lamchop's albums, and, as has been discussed, Kurt Wagner had a hand in the songwriting.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

haven't gotten any vinyl yet- i still haven't exchanged gifts with my parents or my sister yet, though.

my wife knit me a new hat and some wool socks. i got a few dvd sets too- season one of 'community' and season three of 'bored to death.'

i'm hoping i get some spending money too- might use it to buy some guitar equipment and a few records that slipped through the cracks this year (or a few high-priced elusive ones).
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

James T wrote: Kraftwerk - Tour De France 2LP (Kling Klang remaster)
Aren't the Kling Klang remasters beautiful?

Spacemen 3 - TDTMMTTDT (The Father Yod one)
Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports (Original UK)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
Beak> - >
and then the big one - William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops boxset.

surprised my parents would get me something with a name like Taking Drugs to..., pretty impressed with (and ecstatic about) the haul they brought in... I never talk to them about the music I like for the most part, and they got me five things that are all AWESOME... particularly psyched about the Eno... and man the DLP boxset... pretty colossal/amazing. I think my dad read about it in relation to 9/11 stuff and so he sorta got it for the house in general, but still... wow. Still not sure how they figured all that stuff out. Either snooping through my stuff (unlike them), or maybe the went to the record store I go to a lot and talked to them about what I've had my eye on? Pretty sure it was the latter since they also got me a first edition (pretty rare) copy of the book that record store is named after... which I think I remember seeing behind the counter once there... Mount Analogue/Mount Analog. Either way, very very cool/exciting.

Also, this was Harry Hannukah and Arthur the Atheist.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

redcloud wrote:
Shinesalight wrote: this along with an MC5 t-shirt off of my girlfriend's brother :D 8)
Just the other day my kids were watching a 'Friends' rerun and my son shouts "Daddy look, Rachel (Jennifer Anison) is wearing an MC5 shirt". Sure enough, she had a t-shirt with Grimshaw's white panther poster for the Straight Theatre. There was one thing missing on her shirt though...there was no pot leaf in between the panther's wings!

My son thought Aniston immediately gained instant street cred. But, I broke the news to him that she most likely has no idea who the 5 were or what they represented. The costume designer may have or he/she just grabbed a vintage rock shirt, which were pretty popular in the 90's and dressed her in it.
I remember that episode, my reaction was the same as yours!
I once saw David Beckham wearing a Crass t-shirt! :shock: :lol:

On the presents front:
Carlton Melton - Photo of Photos vinyl, bonus 12" version.
Carlton Melton - Country Ways cd
Mugstar - Axis cd
Andy Kershaw's autobiography; No Off Switch.
Some cash, with which I bought a 1TB external hard drive.
Socks, jocks and slippers, as requested.
Waiting on the Julian Cope triple cd Copendium to arrive and that'll be the lot. Very happy indeed. Got what i asked for and the cash and book were a nice bonus. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote: Spacemen 3 - TDTMMTTDT (The Father Yod one)
Do you know who Father Yod was? Apologies if you do but in case you don't....he was the leader of a hippie commune cult he called 'The Source'. Actually, he ran one of the first and certainly trendiest vegetarian restaurants in the LA area in the 60's. That is where they made their money. Anyway, long story short...he formed a hippie commune and eventually sold up and moved the commune to Hawaii. Several members of the commune formed a band called the YaHoWah13 and Yod would often ramble or chant over their pretty organic, jams. Sky Saxon was an in again/out again member of the commune too. Yod eventually died in a hang gliding accident.

One of his lovers and closest allies in the restaurant and commune wrote a bio about The Source, which is well worth reading. She and one of the members of YaHoWah came to Portland a few years ago and gave a wonderful lecture complete with a slide show of many never before seen photos of the commune. One of the best and most interesting author lectures I have seen. Before I left I had her sign a copy of my book.

Sorry for going off topic. You may already have known all this anyway.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

redcloud wrote:
Do you know who Father Yod was? Apologies if you do but in case you don't....he was the leader of a hippie commune cult he called 'The Source'. Actually, he ran one of the first and certainly trendiest vegetarian restaurants in the LA area in the 60's. That is where they made their money. Anyway, long story short...he formed a hippie commune and eventually sold up and moved the commune to Hawaii. Several members of the commune formed a band called the YaHoWah13 and Yod would often ramble or chant over their pretty organic, jams. Sky Saxon was an in again/out again member of the commune too. Yod eventually died in a hang gliding accident.

One of his lovers and closest allies in the restaurant and commune wrote a bio about The Source, which is well worth reading. She and one of the members of YaHoWah came to Portland a few years ago and gave a wonderful lecture complete with a slide show of many never before seen photos of the commune. One of the best and most interesting author lectures I have seen. Before I left I had her sign a copy of my book.

Thanks for that Redcloud. I didn't know about any of this, so thanks for the information. It is always nice to get a personal view on these things too, so your recollection of the lecture was very interesting.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote: Thanks for that Redcloud. I didn't know about any of this, so thanks for the information. It is always nice to get a personal view on these things too, so your recollection of the lecture was very interesting.
Yes, the Yahowa albums are worth exploring. They are pretty raw and the early ones lack musicianship....they are all very stoned and Yod just sort of rambles and chants like Casady/Kesey did during the Acid Tests. But, I reckon some people on here might dig them. They also used to have their own channel on Hawaiian TV....they would film their jams wearing their white Jesus robes and Yod would then preach some hoodoo guru meditative/philosophical yogi sermon. I have some of that footage somewhere on a dvd. Pretty wild and something that one would never see today.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went into town yesterday and splashed a bit of the Xmas cash on the following vinyl:-

Eternal Tapestry - A World Out of Time (red vinyl)
Dirty Three - Towards the Low Sun
Goat - World Music (yellow vinyl)
Last edited by Shinesalight on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

music wise I got albums by the Soft Moon, Royal Trux and The Feelies.
Julian Cope's Copendium book
and some nice headphones
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Late addition:
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (2 CD/2 DVD box set)
Very happy!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:Late addition:
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (2 CD/2 DVD box set)
Very happy!
Any good? Is it the entire 2007 O2 reunion gig?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the fun continues- still have to exchange gifts with my sister and brother-in-law, but today i got-

darker my love- 'alive as you are' on vinyl. haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but looking forward to it.
neil young- 'psychedelic pill' on CD.
i also got a boss re-20 space echo- it's the digital version of the old 201 space echo tape delay. i still will probably try and get a vintage one, but it certainly couldn't hurt to have this one as well- it's certainly a bit more sensible for me to have at this point. pretty excited about it!
i also got a coffee grinder from my in-laws. it's kind of a crime that i've been working in coffee for almost eight years and i've never had one.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

redcloud wrote:

Whoa that's really cool! I had no idea! I love that the little comment I made in passing led you to write this, I would have never known. I'm going to try to track some of the music down for sure... The name made me think of Cameron Stallones Sohni Chambers tape - it's called YawMahHaw, he referred to it as Temple Music for Temple People... wondering if the name has anything to do with YaHoWah. That's really cool by the way, trancey tribal drums+organ. Temple music is indeed a good description.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hofstadter wrote:The name made me think of Cameron Stallones Sohni Chambers tape - it's called YawMahHaw, he referred to it as Temple Music for Temple People... wondering if the name has anything to do with YaHoWah.
Spzretent please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe YaHoWah 13's name was taken from the Hebrew word "Yahuwah", which essentially means "Lord".

If so, it goes with their spiritual, mystical, meditative commune that Father Yod was leader of. If you look at photos of the commune they are often wearing long flowing robes too. It all appears kinda weird and creepy in this day and age especially after Manson, Jones and Koresh but in the 60's there were many of these hippie communes that fled the city and found Jesus through acid and meditation. There's also a really great compilation of Zion and Christian acid rock that focuses on bands/musicians that flourished in some of these hippie cults/communes.

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread but Father Yod and the story of The Source and YaHoWah13 is pretty interesting. Like I said, the biography is a great read.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was very Happy to obtain MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC!
A Hallicrafters 1938 Radio Set; Headphones, et cetera, w/ warranty card!
A Columbia 360 c.1963 "Portable Record Player" also w/ warranty card!
A new cartridge for each of the 45 RPM setup AND the (2) 33 1/3 RPM setups;
and a Jeep; (along with assorted items of interest to me);
and books and manuscripts from c.1564-1877;
and the Hope of yet a better year ahead.

Granted, my Greatest Gifts were not wrapped or ribbon-topped; but Friends and Fun and Family and Freedom
along with the occasional Very Amazing Surprise.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus