For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

NHL Hockey

Post by spzretent »

Thank you. I missed it. A lot!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Minky
Known user

Re: NHL Hockey

Post by Minky »

Great news! I really didn't think we'd have a season this year.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm glad for you guys as I know you're fans of hockey.

I lost ALL interest in the NBA season last year due to their lockout. When they did come back it seemed they played a game almost every other night and then in Feb. several key players on Portland's team were traded away and the coach was sacked. It was a whole new team over night and they quickly collapsed. No fun at all for the fan.

Getting back into it now as there were further changes during the offseason and some key draft picks that have made it fun to start watching again.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Me too! So happy! :)

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

People said that about baseball after the strike. True, some fans didn't come back but Baseball is more popular than ever.
Hockey will no doubt lose fans. Its too bad as NBC was almost creating a network based arounf the NHL. Hockey has been fantastic, especially playoff hockey. And gaining popularity in the US. This is a major setback.
The sooner they get rid of Gary Bettman the better off the sport will be. He thinks he is David Stern but runs a niche sport.
Taking the teams out of Canada and expanding into markets that have no business with teams(both Florida teams, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix) have had such a negative effect on the NHL. Watered down hockey in half full arenas.
I will get off my soapbox now.
I'm really happy its back. Winter here just isn't the same without hockey.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Taking the teams out of Canada and expanding into markets that have no business with teams(both Florida teams, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix) have had such a negative effect on the NHL. Watered down hockey in half full arenas.
I have the same problem with the NFL's obsession to have a team in London (or to host the Super Bowl in London). NBA too have a unhealthy, greedy desire to tap into Europe in next 10 or so years.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spzretent wrote: Taking the teams out of Canada and expanding into markets that have no business with teams(both Florida teams, Carolina, Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix) have had such a negative effect on the NHL. Watered down hockey in half full arenas.
Not all teams were taken out of Canada. Quebec went to Colorado which worked out great. Winnipeg was the BIG loser, but now they're back. Those were the only two.

Tampa is doing great, last season they had almost a full capacity in attendance...

Phoenix is just screwed (last in attendance), Dallas(2nd to last) will be one to watch as they have gone rock bottom. Islanders are moving so hopefully that will help them. It should have worked in Ohio, but bad planing and marketing screwed them.
Florida should move to Quebec City...

Oh well... Anyways, just hope the Habs sign Subban.

B,

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I know all teams weren't taken out of Canada. None should have been. Hockey is to Canada as baseball is to the US. Colorado is good when the Avs are good. Not so great when they are not. But that wasn't a team that I had concerns about.
It was all part of Gary Bettman's master plan to conquer the US market. The fans in the US are pretty die hard. There just aren't enough.
I just wish they would start playing tomorrow. I cant believe how much I missed it.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I agree Bettman is bad for the NHL. I do have to give him some credit for all the pre-season games
in Europe. It has really boosted Hockey over here and that's really great to see.

I was lucky enough to watch the whole Spengler cup and that really helped me for the time being (Canada winning
helped too) , after it ended I was really sad and a week and half later BOOM.

Sunday begins training — Montreal fans will get a huge treat from the Molson company...

I've paid for live streaming WOOHOO!

B,

M
Design.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Alright, never been to a hockey game in my life, but I might try to go to a game or two this year... cause why not? Senior year, second semester's about to start, the Kings won last year right? Should be fun. In fact, I've never watched a full game of hockey in my life. None of my friends or myself are really sportsheads, but whatever, fuck it. Well, I played lots of sports when I was in elementary/middle school, soccer was really my main/only sport from 7th grade on, hip injury/surgery freshman year put me off that track... sucked, I had just been picked for varsity, but that was maybe best thing to ever happen to me. So anyways what do I NEED to know 'bout hockey that I can't figure out for myself?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its completely different live than on TV. If you get it you'll be hooked. If not cross it off your bucket list.
You will pick up the rules pretty easily if you have played soccer too. Thats been my experience when taking English folks to Red Wings games.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I used to go to NHL games a lot when I was a kid. I hadn't been to one in over a decade when I went to a Ducks vs Blackhawks game last season. I forgot how much fun professional hockey games are to watch. Very fast-paced, somewhat violent, but the crowd is always into it and reacts to everything. It's also LOUD when the home team scores.

All good fun. I say you should definitely make it to a game this year.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Looking good for the Habs.

I despise the Bruins...
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Bruins are head and shoulders better than Detroit.
Up 2-0 just to watch them wear Detroit down and win 3-2 in OT. That hurt but you could see it coming.
Bruins certainly are hateable. Lucic, Marchand. I hope Montreal beat them.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Lucic should have been banned for 3 games. That was the second time he has done that.

I would prefer that the Habs would play the Wings in the second round. It would be an amazing
fast paced back and forth games. In reality the Bruins will go on and that is going to be a really
brutal series. Actually glad Montreal is getting a good 5-7 days rest. They will need to healthy
against them.
Design.