Homemade mashed potatoes

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Homemade mashed potatoes

Post by spzretent »

Never attempted this before. Surprised at how easy it was with an internet recipe.
I'm not really very good in the kitchen. This was a small(really a large) victory.
Potatoes, greek yogurt, green onions, salt, pepper & garlic. Somewhat healthy.
All made to a Bob Dylan/The Band soundtrack while drinking.
:P
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Homemade mashed potatoes

Post by runcible »

You want the ultimate mashed potatoes? A simple technique I saw Heston Blumenthal do on TV has taken what was an already delicious side dish onto another level.

You need to use Maris Piper potatoes for starters - easily obtained. Peel them and then take the peelings and put them into a saucepan with just enough milk to cover them (not too much!). Bring to the boil and then set aside for no less than 20 minutes while you boil the potatoes themselves. Then strain the milk, ditch the peelings and add the strained milk to the potatoes. Voila. You can add whatever else you like but the peeling-infused milk is the key. The additional flavour this adds is very surprising so we never make mashed potato any other way now. And once tried nor will you!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runcible wrote:You want the ultimate mashed potatoes?
Do it Snoop's way

This is honestly pure humor. Love it so much. 3:43 for the highlight of the video.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

spzretent wrote:All made to a Bob Dylan/The Band soundtrack while drinking.
:P
Before The Flood? The Basement Tapes?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Mashed taters was a staple on the family dinner menu growing up. Peel, dice, boil, drain. Add 1 stick real butter, melt, mash, add some half and half cream, mash/whip, add a little more half and half, mash. whip until fluffy. Don't add too much half and half or you'll get soup. Also, use some of the potato water for whatever gravy your making. We prefer corn starch for thickening - - no lumps and no flour taste. Put corn starch in a cup, add cold water, mix, and slowly add to boiling pan drippings/potato water for great gravy.
I think I feel it coming on
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I saw the Greek yogurt in lieu of ' a stick of butter ' and ' a carton of half/half ' . The yogurt will give it a little sour cream taste, because it's a little sour and much better on the waistline. Adding a little chicken broth/powder will give it much more flavour. Also, try yogurt instead of sour cream on a baked potato, you wouldn't even notice the difference ...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Try the potato skin tip. I'm telling you - it produces the best flavour ever!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:shock: :lol:

The Mrs made a delicious side tonight to accompany some chicken in a coriander and lime sauce (awesome), coincidentally enough a variant on The Mash with butter, garlic, tarragon and dill.

Beautiful.
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Homemade mashed potatoes (or "taters") are GOOD.

Post by semisynthetic »

My Grandmother made TERRIFIC (everything), but her Potatoes and White Gravy were so incredibly tasty and SOOOOOO
unhealthy; she ate them for over 93 years before getting a stomach ache. Then I find out she was eating hot chili peppers!

I liked seeing her take food to church suppers and the like in the the little town she lived in; HER food casseroles were emptied so quickly, I had to EAT AT HOME to get any of her cooking! YUM.

Then, a HORRIBLE thing happened; she discovered something "new", a "restaraunt". DAMN DAMN DAMN.
Thanksgivings were great for her, but, yuk. She was wonderful; and this January, gone for 3 years, I miss her greatly.

Now I have the 6 minute 55 second meal, or sometimes the 7 minute 45 second meal; I eat like an astronaut;

WHICH IS MORE UNHEALTHY? Her butter and "bacon drippings" in mass quantities, or food "designed" to look like the photo on the cover of the box?
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
purespace
Known user

Re: Homemade mashed potatoes (or "taters") are GOOD.

Post by purespace »

semisynthetic wrote:WHICH IS MORE UNHEALTHY? Her butter and "bacon drippings" in mass quantities, or food "designed" to look like the photo on the cover of the box?
Agreed. As a child, our neighbors were an elderly couple that were very much family to us. He was born in 1900 and she was born in 1901. Being that they lived through the depression, they were very earthy people, grew most of their food, and ate the daily meat/potatoes/bacon drippings etc. They both lived well into their 90s.
I think I feel it coming on