MRI

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ro
Known user

MRI

Post by ro »

Just had my third MRI in as many years. Since they've all come out fine so far, I must say I really enjoy the whole process.
Slid with a warmed blanket into a huge cocoon while homunculi of various experimental noise groups who must be hiding deep inside the machine play into my ears: gongs and bells, whirs and clicks, calming drones. Then Harry Partch, snippets of Machine Gun, Guitarloops, samples of 80's video games and mysterious perpetual bird chirps in the background. Emerge feeling light headed and spacey, walk home with all the lilacs and wisteria out.. A nice start to the day.
Then when the films come back, I get a neat cd with a million different views of own brain.
What a crazy trip.
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: MRI

Post by Hofstadter »

Mass Relaxation Inducer

I've had one MRI and had a similarly hypnotic/enjoyable experience. I liked reading your post.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

You wouldn't be so keen on them after trying to get A Level Physics students to be able to describe how they work! It's a bloody nightmare...

My favourite MRI fact is that the name was changed from NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) because people were scared of the word "nuclear". The machines are exactly the same.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I've used NMR's for various chemistry stuff (my school is WELL equipped) - those things are indeed intimidating and RAD (but obviously actually using an MRI machine would be the same)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

my school had one bunsen burner between four people :lol: :lol: :lol:
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Ian wrote:You wouldn't be so keen on them after trying to get A Level Physics students to be able to describe how they work! It's a bloody nightmare...

My favourite MRI fact is that the name was changed from NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) because people were scared of the word "nuclear". The machines are exactly the same.

Well, not EXACTLY the same, thank goodness; in NMR, it is the SAMPLE THAT RAPIDLY SPINS (as a rule) inside a temperature controlled Liquid Helium encased vessel; in MRI, it is the DEVICE that spins around the "sample". This is the most obvious difference;
For me, the most interesting points of divergence MRI has with NMR is the number of Aquisitions necessary to take for calculations, the relatively low Tesla value of the magnet, and the algorithm(s) used for transformations in each method. (I know when I have MRI's, I must CONCENTRATE so as not to fall asleep and keep from ruining the imaging! It DOES sound very avant garde' inside the working MRI "instrument").

But you are quite right; "Nuclear" frightens people, even if it refers to aspects of their very own composition!
It has long been true that people tend to fear what they do not understand, and strangely, (to my way of thinking), they tend to NOT try to learn about what they realize they do not understand. During The Dark Ages, well, maybe it made sense of some sort then to remain ignorant, remaining ALIVE was hard enough; but NOW, after centuries of a so called "Enlightenment", I would hope for better.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus