Uploading photos/pics/images

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Shinesalight
Known user

Uploading photos/pics/images

Post by Shinesalight »

Does any kind soul on here know how to upload photos or saved pictures into a post on the forum via an iPad? Might be one for Nightwash or anyone with more I.T. knowledge than me (pretty much everyone on here I'd assume :roll: )
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Re: Uploading photos/pics/images

Post by redcloud »

I'm assuming it is the same as uploading any photo...but I may be wrong (I don't have a tablet).

Upload as an attachment (attachment tab just below "submit" button under message box). The photo itself has to be quite small though.
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

Well, i changed some settings. But honestly it would be great if you could try to describe your problem a bit more.
Do you get an error message? If yes, what does it say? The issue can be related to a whole ton of stuff, starting from a browser/client issue up to some weird server settings. So if it still doesn't work, i need an idea where to look or what maybe your own special problem ;) I think that the problem is not related to your ipad at all.
redcloud already mentioned, that the file size should not exceed a certain limit. Which is most likely your problem.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Testing testing. Hopefully, here's a pic of my son giving me my Fathers Day pressie:-

Nope, didn't work. Every photo I've got saved on my iPad that I've tried it comes up with the error message "the file is too big". How do I reduced the size of the file?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:Testing testing. Hopefully, here's a pic of my son giving me my Fathers Day pressie:-

Nope, didn't work. Every photo I've got saved on my iPad that I've tried it comes up with the error message "the file is too big". How do I reduced the size of the file?
That is the trick. Most cameras will have a default setting of 300dpi, which can allow for your photos to print 6x4, 7x5, 8x10 etc. without losing image quality. In turn, this will create a file size that is far too big for the attachments on this board. What I have done is run my pics through Photoshop and then reduced the image and file size inside that program. Bit of faff, to be honest, and I'm sure there must be an easier way...

Unless Nightwash can give you better instructions feel free to PM pic to me and I can do the above for you and re-send so you can upload.
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

redcloud wrote:That is the trick. Most cameras will have a default setting of 300dpi, which can allow for your photos to print 6x4, 7x5, 8x10 etc. without losing image quality. In turn, this will create a file size that is far too big for the attachments on this board. What I have done is run my pics through Photoshop and then reduced the image and file size inside that program. Bit of faff, to be honest, and I'm sure there must be an easier way...
No, "sadly" that is the trick. The image size can't be too large. Actually its not the size of the image but the size of the file that matters. At the moment the maximum size is 512KB which is small for todays resolutions of cameras etc. But this is a music forum and not a photoshooter one so i think it is ok ;)
Steps to reduce the size are:
1. Resize the image using photoshop/gimp/whatever - it won't be displayed well if it is too big anyway.
2. Use a format with a good compression like png or jpg.

Remember that people may browse the forum using mobile datalinks or have small bandwidths at home (not common but exists). The need to download the whole picture when browsing a topic which can take really long if the image is too big.
Another point is that we need to store all pictures on the server - the space is limited. If we start to store all the high definition picture of events here we will run out of space. Also the picture needs to be transferred to every client watching it so the server bandwidth may come to an end. And so on...
If you don't want to have the work with shrinking the photo you can also use some free hoster for the pictures like photobucket or something else (just google it). You can embed the image using

Code: Select all

[img]http://yourhoster.com/somelink[/img]
tags (which i have done with my signature). This should work also - but those hosters usually also reduce the image size and quality.

Hope that explains it a bit.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

The easiest way by far is to use the image tag i've found - upload your full, hi res image to imgur or flickr, and then hotlink it with the img tag - anything gets displayed that way, the only problems might be that some of the image is cut off if its resolution's width is higher than the forum's width! that's how i've done all my photos (flickr/imgur)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Like this?

pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

davedecay wrote:Like this?

where in the world did you find this picture? thanks for any info...
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Google image search
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

davedecay wrote:Google image search

i have! i only come up with the stay calm and whatnot. i am looking for a good clear pic of that for a project.

thanks